Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,713 members, 7,831,231 topics. Date: Friday, 17 May 2024 at 03:52 PM

FG Approves Mother Tongue As A Compulsory Language In Primary Schools - Education (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / FG Approves Mother Tongue As A Compulsory Language In Primary Schools (29014 Views)

States With The Most Unqualified Teachers In Primary Schools — Statisense / Has LASU Made Yoruba Language A Compulsory Course For Students? (Fact Check) / 'Making Love': Found In Primary School Book (Pictured) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (13) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: FG Approves Mother Tongue As A Compulsory Language In Primary Schools by Professor822714: 3:47am On Dec 01, 2022
Another ill thought out policy copies and pasted from another country maybe francophone. Please explain what mother tongue will be used in Abuja or Lagos, where you have a mixture of people?
ExAngel007:

https://www.lindaikejisblog.com/2022/11/fg-approves-mother-tongue-as-compulsory-language-of-instruction-in-primary-schools.html
Re: FG Approves Mother Tongue As A Compulsory Language In Primary Schools by Nobody: 3:57am On Dec 01, 2022
That's easy, here in SA, most multiracial schools or schools that have children from different cultures ensure that they have more than one home language as a subject.. they'd have at least three or four home languages as subjects and the child will decide which language to choose.

Or the parents could take the child to a school that has their home language as a subject, but at the same time I still don't see anything wrong with the child learning another language from his or her country.

In that way, the child will be able to communicate with the people from the area that he or she lives properly.
immortalcrown:
Instructional material and qualified teachers were never the problem. I don't know what the man means in his reference to these two factors.

Good. The problem is, how will the government ensure a child from tribe A living in tribe B gets proper lesson on tribe A language? For example, a Yoruba kid in the North learns Yoruba language properly in the North.

3 Likes

Re: FG Approves Mother Tongue As A Compulsory Language In Primary Schools by Nobody: 4:01am On Dec 01, 2022

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: FG Approves Mother Tongue As A Compulsory Language In Primary Schools by Nobody: 4:04am On Dec 01, 2022
I'm happy for you guys.

Years back, my Nigerian English lecturer told us of how some Nigerian languages in Nigeria I slowly becoming extinct, but implementing them in your scools as compulsory subjects will help preserve them.

I don't know why, but I value our African languages very much.

I wish you guys all the best.. smiley smiley smiley
kumulus:
If true, might be the best news I've read yet on NL this year....

3 Likes

Re: FG Approves Mother Tongue As A Compulsory Language In Primary Schools by yemmit90: 4:17am On Dec 01, 2022
To me, this is not a good policy. A kid will perfectly understand his/her mother tongue language as long as the parent spoke it at home.

English is our official language, failure to introduce it early in the life of young kids will only make them lag behind in future. How do you expect such children to compete with other kids in national and international competitions.

This is a backward educational policy, and I am sure it is because of the North.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: FG Approves Mother Tongue As A Compulsory Language In Primary Schools by koolaid87: 4:20am On Dec 01, 2022
Oh really?

So it's compulsory to speak vernacular now without being chastised?

Awon house niqqa just dey wake

1 Like

Re: FG Approves Mother Tongue As A Compulsory Language In Primary Schools by fkj950ax(m): 4:22am On Dec 01, 2022
immortalcrown:
Instructional material and qualified teachers were never the problem. I don't know what the man means in his reference to these two factors.

How many textbooks are in Igbo Yoruba and Hausa.
How many novels or story books are in these languages?
That's instructional material being the problem.

In terms of teacher qualification, how many teachers can actually read and write in these languages to the point we trust them to grade students in these same languages?
Re: FG Approves Mother Tongue As A Compulsory Language In Primary Schools by palsenator(m): 4:22am On Dec 01, 2022
immortalcrown:

Good. The problem is, how will the government ensure a child from tribe A living in tribe B gets proper lesson on tribe A language? For example, a Yoruba kid in the North learns Yoruba language properly in the North.

God bless you bro.
Re: FG Approves Mother Tongue As A Compulsory Language In Primary Schools by basty: 4:24am On Dec 01, 2022
Peterobi90:
Dumb policy honestly..... has he been to majority of public primary schools, do they look like English is even being practised there, its sad the little encouragement is about to be wiped off with a pronounced law..

You are a slave and dumb for writing this nonsense.
There is no country that developed technologically outside their mother tongue. You are now encouraging a slave mentality. I pity people or slave like you.

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: FG Approves Mother Tongue As A Compulsory Language In Primary Schools by colestephan86: 4:24am On Dec 01, 2022
Re: FG Approves Mother Tongue As A Compulsory Language In Primary Schools by NwokoloOwa: 4:25am On Dec 01, 2022
Confused Minister
Re: FG Approves Mother Tongue As A Compulsory Language In Primary Schools by colestephan86: 4:26am On Dec 01, 2022
immortalcrown:

I'm sure you can comprehend. The language of instruction will be the dominant language around where the school is

1 Like

Re: FG Approves Mother Tongue As A Compulsory Language In Primary Schools by Yankee101: 4:28am On Dec 01, 2022
Converting text books to local languages and teaching in same is the fastest way to development

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: FG Approves Mother Tongue As A Compulsory Language In Primary Schools by kingthreat(m): 4:30am On Dec 01, 2022
southsouthking:
What's the benefit of this?

You no go school?
Re: FG Approves Mother Tongue As A Compulsory Language In Primary Schools by colestephan86: 4:32am On Dec 01, 2022
ElSudani:

Do pupils in UK, USA, Germany, Canada, Japan, China or India start school by learning a foreign language first?
What is dumb is the idea of teaching our kids a foreign language before they can even start learning.
Don't bother explaining to brain-dead prople
Re: FG Approves Mother Tongue As A Compulsory Language In Primary Schools by Vello(m): 4:39am On Dec 01, 2022
nony43:

Travel and see.
Ask those who travels for their academic qualifications, e go shock you. e.g. Dancing Senator wey just got SSCE.
Reason am
Re: FG Approves Mother Tongue As A Compulsory Language In Primary Schools by gloryman91: 4:40am On Dec 01, 2022
Welcomed development.

Please extend it to Agriculture too to be complusory at all levels.
Re: FG Approves Mother Tongue As A Compulsory Language In Primary Schools by Enemyofpeace: 4:42am On Dec 01, 2022
NNPC is set to review pump price of PMS to N400 a litre.
Una never see anything yet.

2 Likes

Re: FG Approves Mother Tongue As A Compulsory Language In Primary Schools by seunayantokun(m): 4:43am On Dec 01, 2022
Good one but they are doing so to cut reasons for self determination. However, that stops nothing because terrorists are never sincere in any thing. Trust them at your peril.

Our languages should be for all human activities in government, business, science and technology, and education at all levels and English should be used in matters of federation with simultaneous translation/interpretation into our different mother tongues. That is the true way to development.

History with no fulanised content must be mandatory from primary school to university levels too.

All affairs of government at state and local government levels must be conducted in the language(s) dominant in each sphere while English will only be an alternative means of communication. Imagine how daft it is to conduct government affairs in Enugu in English when Igbo is the language of the people or Osun State House of Assembly making legislations for Yoruba people of the state in English. What manner of madness is that? Nonsense!
Re: FG Approves Mother Tongue As A Compulsory Language In Primary Schools by otuekong(m): 4:46am On Dec 01, 2022
He said even though the policy has officially taken effect, it can only be fully implemented when government develops instructional materials and qualified teachers are available.

Adamu explained that the [b]mother tongue to be used in each
school will be the dominant language spoken by the community where it is located.
Re: FG Approves Mother Tongue As A Compulsory Language In Primary Schools by omolasho: 4:46am On Dec 01, 2022
Absolutely unnecessary and it only complicate learning for the kids.
Re: FG Approves Mother Tongue As A Compulsory Language In Primary Schools by cocolacec(m): 4:58am On Dec 01, 2022
Yureyes:

Lol. What happens if I’m not Yoruba and we happen to live in Ile Ife and I have no desire for my child to learn Yoruba. Will the school teach my child in his own mother tongue too? The dominant language spoken in the community doesn’t make it my mother tongue

If you live in Germany,will you tell the Germans to teach your child in his mother tongue?
We are on a return to Regional government.
If you want your child to learn his mother tongue send him back to your region simple.

Nigeria is a country of different nationalities forced into a British company called 'Nigeria.'

6 Likes

Re: FG Approves Mother Tongue As A Compulsory Language In Primary Schools by seunayantokun(m): 4:58am On Dec 01, 2022
omolasho:
Absolutely unnecessary and it only complicate learning for the kids.
My friend, as long as you continue in English, you can never be free or develop. Please, stop saying this and educate yourself more on this matter. Thank you.

3 Likes

Re: FG Approves Mother Tongue As A Compulsory Language In Primary Schools by seunayantokun(m): 5:00am On Dec 01, 2022
cocolacec:

If you live in Germany,will you tell the Germans to teach your child in his mother tongue?
We are on a return to Regional government.
If you want your child to learn his mother tongue send him back to your region simple.
Correct!
Re: FG Approves Mother Tongue As A Compulsory Language In Primary Schools by BluntCrazeMan: 5:02am On Dec 01, 2022

1 Like

Re: FG Approves Mother Tongue As A Compulsory Language In Primary Schools by Bobbiee: 5:04am On Dec 01, 2022
What about areas with ethnic heterogeneous populations. Like some major cities, i.e., Lagos, Abuja, Port Harcourt?
Re: FG Approves Mother Tongue As A Compulsory Language In Primary Schools by cocolacec(m): 5:05am On Dec 01, 2022
Cantonese:

You don go there before?
All the countries he mentioned speak in the mother tongue or the language of their host community.
I have been to Germany before even Amercan sitcoms are dubbed in German on TV not subtitled.
Only enslaved people cherish the language of a coloniser.

1 Like

Re: FG Approves Mother Tongue As A Compulsory Language In Primary Schools by thesicilian: 5:06am On Dec 01, 2022
The problem with Nigeria is most often not the laws or policies, but the implementation.
If they can follow it up to the letter, the outcome will be phenomenal.

Most Nigerian languages are dying at an alarming rate and this could play a vital role in stopping that .

On a lighter note it could just be the APC government's way of slowing down the JAPA movement trend. After all, person wey no sabi speak English no go think of relocating to the USA abi?

1 Like

Re: FG Approves Mother Tongue As A Compulsory Language In Primary Schools by Judolisco(m): 5:07am On Dec 01, 2022
Dis policy is already in place in early childhood education... But I don't think it's working.... Even parents don't speak their language to kids anymore

1 Like

Re: FG Approves Mother Tongue As A Compulsory Language In Primary Schools by kingPhidel(m): 5:07am On Dec 01, 2022
Wahala for who get mother tongue. Middle belt no get
Re: FG Approves Mother Tongue As A Compulsory Language In Primary Schools by seunayantokun(m): 5:09am On Dec 01, 2022
colestephan86:

What of those parents that always want to speak qweens English to their children at home
Conquered minds they are. When we start overall implementation of that policy, they'll be free.
Re: FG Approves Mother Tongue As A Compulsory Language In Primary Schools by phemmyfour: 5:10am On Dec 01, 2022
FreeStuffsNG:

I completely agree.

The best thing is that the policy is based on emperical evidence. A study done in Ile Ife some years ago proved that students taught in Yoruba performed better than those taught in English language. Another thing is that this policy has helped nations like India greatly.

In few years, it will be extended to SSS3.

God bless Nigeria!
We don't have enough teachers and resources e.g textbooks to achieve this.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (13) (Reply)

LUTH To Release YABATECH Student's Corpse For N800,000 (Photos) / Student Disappears After Withdrawing Money From ATM / Kaduna Pupils Eat El-rufai's Free Food On The Floors Of Their Classrooms (PICS)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.