Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,157,898 members, 7,834,981 topics. Date: Monday, 20 May 2024 at 11:33 PM

FG Approves Mother Tongue As A Compulsory Language In Primary Schools - Education (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / FG Approves Mother Tongue As A Compulsory Language In Primary Schools (29034 Views)

States With The Most Unqualified Teachers In Primary Schools — Statisense / Has LASU Made Yoruba Language A Compulsory Course For Students? (Fact Check) / 'Making Love': Found In Primary School Book (Pictured) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (13) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: FG Approves Mother Tongue As A Compulsory Language In Primary Schools by cocolacec(m): 5:10am On Dec 01, 2022
Bobbiee:
What about areas with ethnic heterogeneous populations. Like some major cities, i.e., Lagos, Abuja, Port Harcourt?
Language of the host community will be the norm. Abuja will be Hausa,Lagos -Yoruba Language,Port Harcourt Ikwerre/Igbo/Ijaw.They can decide to follow the regional govt route of the 60's.
The Governors of the respective states will decide in the zones with different languages.

2 Likes

Re: FG Approves Mother Tongue As A Compulsory Language In Primary Schools by Bobbiee: 5:11am On Dec 01, 2022
immortalcrown:
Instructional material and qualified teachers were never the problem. I don't know what the man means in his reference to these two factors.

Good. The problem is, how will the government ensure a child from tribe A living in tribe B gets proper lesson on tribe A language? For example, a Yoruba kid in the North learns Yoruba language properly in the North.

I believe this should not be implemented in major cities or areas that have a sizable ethnic minority or admixture. For instance, in a village or local town in Oyo, Anambra, Kaduna, this policy would be splendid. But in major cities where there's a sizable mix in ethnicities, this wouldn't work. Except they want segregation as that's the result of this policy, with specialized schools for Igbo, Hausa, efik, within a Yoruba state, and vice versa. This would be more trouble than it's worth.

I've always said it, Nigeria needs a new official language, a local language. It doesn't have to be one of the many languages. It could be a made up language like Guosa. But that could then be taught at primary level and we won't have this problem. This policy to me, would only raise a lot of problems.

2 Likes

Re: FG Approves Mother Tongue As A Compulsory Language In Primary Schools by gbagyiza: 5:12am On Dec 01, 2022
immortalcrown:
Instructional material and qualified teachers were never the problem. I don't know what the man means in his reference to these two factors.

Good. The problem is, how will the government ensure a child from tribe A living in tribe B gets proper lesson on tribe A language? For example, a Yoruba kid in the North learns Yoruba language properly in the North.

You did not read the statement well? The policy says, the dominant mother tongue in the environment will be taught in that area or region. If a yoruba child is schooling in zaria in kaduna state, that child will be taught hausa because hausa is the dominant mother tongue there. A place like Gboko in Benue state, Tiv language will be taught. My kids are from Kaduna state but schooling in yoruba land, they r forced to study yoruba language. Is this not a waste of time?

2 Likes

Re: FG Approves Mother Tongue As A Compulsory Language In Primary Schools by thesicilian: 5:12am On Dec 01, 2022
phemmyfour:
We don't have enough teachers and resources e.g textbooks to achieve this.
Where there's a demand, eventually there'll be a supply.
Re: FG Approves Mother Tongue As A Compulsory Language In Primary Schools by Bobbiee: 5:13am On Dec 01, 2022
FreeStuffsNG:

I completely agree.

The best thing is that the policy is based on emperical evidence. A study done in Ile Ife some years ago proved that students taught in Yoruba performed better than those taught in English language. Another thing is that this policy has helped nations like India greatly.

In few years, it will be extended to SSS3.

God bless Nigeria!

The downside is that there'd be zero ethnic mixing. Students would grow up having difficulty speaking English, and hence finding it difficult to mix with other Nigerians. What about people of other ethnicities in the same town or city. Would they have to be taught in Yoruba too?

2 Likes

Re: FG Approves Mother Tongue As A Compulsory Language In Primary Schools by seunayantokun(m): 5:15am On Dec 01, 2022
Professor822714:
Another ill thought out policy copies and pasted from another country maybe francophone. Please explain what mother tongue will be used in Abuja or Lagos, where you have a mixture of people?
The dominant language of Lagos is Yoruba and Egun. If you don't want them, that's fine. You can go to other places where your option exists. Abuja will have many options and you will be able to make your choice.

1 Like

Re: FG Approves Mother Tongue As A Compulsory Language In Primary Schools by cocolacec(m): 5:16am On Dec 01, 2022
kingPhidel:
Wahala for who get mother tongue. Middle belt no get
Hausa language could be adopted in places like Plateau.
Re: FG Approves Mother Tongue As A Compulsory Language In Primary Schools by cocolacec(m): 5:19am On Dec 01, 2022
Professor822714:
Another ill thought out policy copies and pasted from another country maybe francophone. Please explain what mother tongue will be used in Abuja or Lagos, where you have a mixture of people?
America,UK have a mixture of nationalities.Will the Chinese,Japanese tell them not to teach his children in English as the language of his host community?
We are country of many nations, If we were to divide today,15-20 countries will emerge from Nigeria.
Re: FG Approves Mother Tongue As A Compulsory Language In Primary Schools by kingPhidel(m): 5:20am On Dec 01, 2022
It will be unfair because
cocolacec:

Hausa language could be adopted in places like plateau.
if favors only Islam when it comes to national interest but when it comes to dividends it won’t favor a middlebeltan
Re: FG Approves Mother Tongue As A Compulsory Language In Primary Schools by BigBashiru: 5:21am On Dec 01, 2022
immortalcrown:

Stop always thinking about the obstacles and problems - typical nigerian mentality...

2 Likes

Re: FG Approves Mother Tongue As A Compulsory Language In Primary Schools by cocolacec(m): 5:23am On Dec 01, 2022
kingPhidel:
It will be unfair because if favors only Islam when it comes to national interest but when it comes to dividends it won’t favor a middlebeltan
Your Governors/Elders of the region will decide on the language of the majority.
Re: FG Approves Mother Tongue As A Compulsory Language In Primary Schools by BigBashiru: 5:23am On Dec 01, 2022
Bobbiee:

The downside is that there'd be zero ethnic mixing. Students would grow up having difficulty speaking English, and hence finding it difficult to mix with other Nigerians. What about people of other ethnicities in the same town or city. Would they have to be taught in Yoruba too?

No there will be a lot of mixing - i for one want to learn many Nigerian ethnic languages...
Re: FG Approves Mother Tongue As A Compulsory Language In Primary Schools by Nobody: 5:23am On Dec 01, 2022
cocolacec:

If you live in Germany,will you tell the Germans to teach your child in his mother tongue?
We are on a return to Regional government.
If you want your child to learn his mother tongue send him back to your region simple.

Nigeria is a country of different nationalities forced into a British company called 'Nigeria.'

Nobody cares what Nigeria is. You don’t teach my child a regional language when the official language is something else. In Germany, their official language is German. In Nigeria, the official language is English, not Yoruba, Igbo or Hausa. So why teach my child? If the official language was the same as the mother tongue being taught, then you’ll have a point. I’d rather my child learn the official language that’s being taught nationally than learn a regional language that’s not mine.

Additionally, you are talking as if it isn’t Nigeria, where people move frequently. Imagine I live in the west, and I have a child who has been taught with Yoruba up to primary 3 level, then we move to the north where the language of instruction is Hausa and my child has to begin primary 4 learning in Hausa. How do you expect such child to cope?

Or imagine a state with multiple tribes are native to the state, so if I move from one city to another in the same state, I’ll be forced to learn all the languages because that’s the language of instruction in school?

3 Likes

Re: FG Approves Mother Tongue As A Compulsory Language In Primary Schools by BigBashiru: 5:26am On Dec 01, 2022
Samantha123:
I'm happy for you guys.

Years back, my Nigerian English lecturer told us of how some Nigerian languages in Nigeria I slowly becoming extinct, but implementing them in your scools as compulsory subjects will help preserve them.

I don't know why, but I value our African languages very much.

I wish you guys all the best.. smiley smiley smiley

I value our African languages very much too. Nigeria is NOT a British colony.

1 Like

Re: FG Approves Mother Tongue As A Compulsory Language In Primary Schools by seunayantokun(m): 5:32am On Dec 01, 2022
Bobbiee:

What is ethnic mixing? Have you ever taken a look at how Canada handles language and ethnic matters? Can you take some time to read or watch documentaries on Belgium, for instance? Is South Africa not doing it better. No one will be compelled to take a language they don't want. You will have your choice elsewhere if you don't want Yoruba in Lagos. People should promote their language in their domain. Please, let's get out of shackles and fetters of ignorance. Your true development and freedom are in your own language and culture.

1 Like

Re: FG Approves Mother Tongue As A Compulsory Language In Primary Schools by Armaggedon: 5:34am On Dec 01, 2022
Very impossible to achieve and already raises some contradictions.
You want to teach people in their mother tongue and define mother tongue as the dominant language of an area.
Does someone's own mother tongue changes as he moves in his own country?

Mother tongue teaching is expected to make learning easier by teaching people in their own familiar language, so why attempting to impose a second language that is not the lingua franca on people and make learning even far more difficult? or to impose ethnic identity on people?

Even the government will soon understand that nigeria is designed not to succeed and why people clamour for self determination?

2 Likes

Re: FG Approves Mother Tongue As A Compulsory Language In Primary Schools by seunayantokun(m): 5:37am On Dec 01, 2022
cocolacec:

Language of the host community will be the norm. Abuja will be Hausa,Lagos -Yoruba Language,Port Harcourt Ikwerre/Igbo/Ijaw.They can decide to follow the regional govt route of the 60's.
The Governors of the respective states will decide in the zones with different languages.
Abuja is multilingual, otherwise it ceases to be the FCT. People will have choices from all languages spoken in Nigeria.

1 Like

Re: FG Approves Mother Tongue As A Compulsory Language In Primary Schools by Nobody: 5:38am On Dec 01, 2022
BigBashiru:

I value our African languages very much too. Nigeria is NOT a British colony.

Lol. You can’t rewrite history. There are native Canadians and Americans whose native language isn’t English. Today these countries are what people call English Speaking Countries. People in Quebec still speak French because France colonized that region. Ya’ll keep fighting what’s not fighting you. It’s not anybody’s fault people can’t communicate with their mother tongue. Teach people their mother tongue, don’t make it the main language of instruction in schools when the official language is English. It doesn’t make sense and never will.

Alternatively, let the entire country adopt one local language as the official language and make that the language of instruction in schools.

3 Likes

Re: FG Approves Mother Tongue As A Compulsory Language In Primary Schools by Blaqputin(m): 5:38am On Dec 01, 2022
immortalcrown:

From the article, you will learn the language of the place u re domiciled

2 Likes

Re: FG Approves Mother Tongue As A Compulsory Language In Primary Schools by cocolacec(m): 5:40am On Dec 01, 2022
yemmit90:
To me his, this is not a good policy. A kid will perfectly understand his/her mother tongue language as long as the parent spoke it at home.

English is our official language, failure to introduce it early in the life of young kids will only make them lag behind in future. How do you expect such children to compete with other kids in national and international competitions.

This is a backward educational policy, and I am sure it is because of the North.

How come the Chinese,Germans,Japanese are not lagging behind on the International scene?

If Nigerians compete on International scene,they can use an interpreter like other countries do.
A truly free people will be proud of their language not feeling fly with a colonisers language.

A Swedish official once told me, the best gift you can give your child is to teach them your mother tongue not a foreign Language.

Sweden has a population of 10 million,languages spoken are Swedish,Yiddish,Sami,Romani chib.English is the second language but it is not compulsory.Some Swedes learn French,Spanish ,German in place of English.

Swedish is the language of the majority and medium of instruction in all schools from primary to University levels.English courses are offered to foreign students.

Funny enough their English is better than Nigerian English because they employ Americans,British etc and qualified Swedes to teach English in their schools.

1 Like

Re: FG Approves Mother Tongue As A Compulsory Language In Primary Schools by Blaqputin(m): 5:41am On Dec 01, 2022
Yureyes:

Lol. You can’t rewrite history. There are native Canadians and Americans whose native language isn’t English. Today these countries are what people call English Speaking Countries. People in Quebec still speak French because France colonized that region. Ya’ll keep fighting what’s not fighting you. It’s not anybody’s fault people can’t communicate with their mother tongue. Teach people their mother tongue, don’t make it the main language of instruction in schools when the official language is English. It doesn’t make sense and never will.

Alternatively, let the entire country adopt one local language as the official language and make that the language of instruction in schools.
Pls help us choose a language in this multi cultural country and start a war.
Somethings are better left unsaid

2 Likes

Re: FG Approves Mother Tongue As A Compulsory Language In Primary Schools by cocolacec(m): 5:42am On Dec 01, 2022
immortalcrown:

He will learn Hausa language in the North not Yoruba?
He will come home to greet you Sanu,laafia kalau.

2 Likes

Re: FG Approves Mother Tongue As A Compulsory Language In Primary Schools by REALretep(m): 5:42am On Dec 01, 2022
Nice one
Laudable policy

2 Likes

Re: FG Approves Mother Tongue As A Compulsory Language In Primary Schools by OKC22: 5:43am On Dec 01, 2022
Language learning shouldn't be by force because some people are not naturally interested in learning languages.

2 Likes

Re: FG Approves Mother Tongue As A Compulsory Language In Primary Schools by cocolacec(m): 5:46am On Dec 01, 2022
fkj950ax:

How many textbooks are in Igbo Yoruba and Hausa.
How many novels or story books are in these languages?
That's instructional material being the problem.

In terms of teacher qualification, how many teachers can actually read and write in these languages to the point we trust them to grade students in these same languages?
If Nigeria taught in the language of the host community in the 60's,it is possible in 2022 with advanced technologies and reading materials.

1 Like

Re: FG Approves Mother Tongue As A Compulsory Language In Primary Schools by seunayantokun(m): 5:48am On Dec 01, 2022
cocolacec:

Hausa language could be adopted in places like Plateau.
You want to set the place ablaze. Let them use their own languages.

2 Likes

Re: FG Approves Mother Tongue As A Compulsory Language In Primary Schools by egunna(m): 5:49am On Dec 01, 2022
immortalcrown:

the dominat language in the environment will be the mother tongue.a Yoruba child in the north will be taught in Hausa while a Hausa child in the east will be taught in igbo.we don't have to teach in every single language I think.

3 Likes

Re: FG Approves Mother Tongue As A Compulsory Language In Primary Schools by 1Dray(m): 5:50am On Dec 01, 2022
FreeStuffsNG:

I completely agree.

The best thing is that the policy is based on emperical evidence. A study done in Ile Ife some years ago proved that students taught in Yoruba performed better than those taught in English language. Another thing is that this policy has helped nations like India greatly.

In few years, it will be extended to SSS3.

God bless Nigeria!

They had always thought hausas in Hausa language in school but have they performed any better? Nay, they had had they worst performance.

2 Likes

Re: FG Approves Mother Tongue As A Compulsory Language In Primary Schools by cocolacec(m): 5:50am On Dec 01, 2022
Armaggedon:
Very impossible to achieve and already raises some contradictions.
You want to teach people in their mother tongue and define mother tongue as the dominant language of an area.
Does someone's own mother tongue changes as he moves in his own country?

Mother tongue teaching is expected to make learning easier by teaching people in their own familiar language, so why attempting to impose a second language that is not the lingua franca on people and make learning even far more difficult? or to impose ethnic identity on people?

Even the government will soon understand that nigeria is designed not to succeed and why people clamour for self determination?
If your relocate to Italy today,tell the Italians that your child must be taught in his mother tongue not Italian language.

1 Like

Re: FG Approves Mother Tongue As A Compulsory Language In Primary Schools by bayelsaowei(m): 5:51am On Dec 01, 2022
Ofunaofu:
grin

He said even though the policy has officially taken effect, it can only be fully implemented when government develops instructional materials and qualified teachers are available.
means there isn't any way to ensure it will be implemented...
Re: FG Approves Mother Tongue As A Compulsory Language In Primary Schools by cocolacec(m): 5:51am On Dec 01, 2022
seunayantokun:

You want to set the place ablaze. Let them use their own languages.
Hausa is the dominant language in Plateau State if you don't know.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (13) (Reply)

Which Good Course Can A Science Student Study In The University Without Physics / Most Funded Federal Universities In Nigeria In 2010 - NUC / Habiba Muhammed And Yamusa Bello Emerge Best PhD Students Same Day

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 61
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.