Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,708 members, 7,816,909 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 07:58 PM

CBN Cashless Policy Is Good For POS Business - Business (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / CBN Cashless Policy Is Good For POS Business (33873 Views)

Some Effect Of Cashless Policy / CBN Directs Banks To Accept Deposits Beyond Cashless Policy Limit / Polaris Bank's Notice Of Cashless Policy Implementation (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: CBN Cashless Policy Is Good For POS Business by efcmentor(m): 9:04pm On Dec 07, 2022
ojoadeola:
The OP does not understand the whole issue here

Why would I ask a POS to pay for me when I have my ATM and USSD with me?
Why would I approach a POS to help me transfer when I can make the transfer on my phone?
How would the POS handle the request of different people that comes to the stall for cash, when the Operator only has access to 100k per week?
If the Operator should hoard cash, how sufficient will the money be to handle various requests?

What I think may happen is for the CBN and the different POS companies to create a platform for POS operators to access more funds, to serve the people.

Otherwise, the poor will suffer more, because they would be made to pay for any extra charges the Operator incurs on getting Cash. The People may be made to pay N500 for every N5k withdrawn via the POS
100% on point
Re: CBN Cashless Policy Is Good For POS Business by LastProphet: 9:13pm On Dec 07, 2022
BATified2023:
let’s assume 50 people will withdraw a day n they withdraw an average of 5k which is 250k meaning he will make 100 in 50 places that’s 5000

Do u know how much he will use to collect the 250k in bank?

That’s 12500 if the 5% rate is applied

So tell me how he will make profit if he uses 12k5 to withdraw n make 5k?

Don't mind the dumb one-sided article, it's one of the emiefele boys, after emiefele had finished messing up our dollar reserves with his cronies and all the insider trading, he's now wanting to put the toll on ordinary Nigerians as usual

4 Likes

Re: CBN Cashless Policy Is Good For POS Business by SunMusk(m): 9:16pm On Dec 07, 2022
Majority of people use pos for cash not transfer unless the person is illiterate that he will go to pos. If I want to send money to someone I use my bank app, if I want to withdraw in will go to pos...
thebosstrevor1:

Not everyone uses USSD, that is why POS business exist

also sometimes USSD might be down, then your other option is POS

Also USSD has some restrictions when sending large amount, so you use POS
Re: CBN Cashless Policy Is Good For POS Business by Henrydata(m): 9:21pm On Dec 07, 2022
bixton:

I don't think you understand how the POS service functions....
Nevertheless I don't think there's less ATM points across the country. The reason why many patronize POS for one reason is because of the queue you'll either meet at the ATM points or even inside the banking halls because we are a people always in a hurry to some non existent place.

Best comment so far
Re: CBN Cashless Policy Is Good For POS Business by lukency(m): 9:24pm On Dec 07, 2022
Did I hear you say transfer money to your account? Ransome money in my mind.
Re: CBN Cashless Policy Is Good For POS Business by Ameduedwin: 9:24pm On Dec 07, 2022
thebosstrevor1:
Most POS operators are concerned about the new CBN cashless policy, I personally think they shouldn't stress themselves and I think the new CBN policy is a good one for them.

Since a cashless policy is the primary goal of the CBN, if you are a pos operator, you can use this to your advantage, now that the government is encouraging a cashless system that means more business will come your way.

for instance, if someone wants to pay his children's school fees, that person can walk to any POS operator and do that, and you will be able to charge your usual transaction fee

if someone wants to pay for goods and they are far away from an atm or bank, they can now use your POS services to do that transaction

if someone wants to transfer money from their atm to their family member in another location, then it is easy for them to use your POS

people that want to receive cash can also use your POS service, they will transfer the money they need to your account and you give them cash while you take your commission

The CBN cashless policy will bring more customers to your POS Business, now people will be able to pay for anything through POS and you will cashout, you will get more customers than ever before.

Anyway, just see the big picture, fantasize, dream and think of how much money you will make from CBN cashless policy.
oops where the POS guys will see money to give customer? Abi don't you hear that the maximum withdrawal for individual per day is 20k for ATM, inside bank is 100k per day while cooperate account 500k per day. Do you know that POS guys makes use of ATM alot and most of them operate on individual account. Now tell me how is isn't going to be easy for them.

3 Likes

Re: CBN Cashless Policy Is Good For POS Business by Okhuadams(m): 9:25pm On Dec 07, 2022
thebosstrevor1:
Most POS operators are concerned about the new CBN cashless policy, I personally think they shouldn't stress themselves and I think the new CBN policy is a good one for them.

Since a cashless policy is the primary goal of the CBN, if you are a pos operator, you can use this to your advantage, now that the government is encouraging a cashless system that means more business will come your way.

for instance, if someone wants to pay his children's school fees, that person can walk to any POS operator and do that, and you will be able to charge your usual transaction fee

if someone wants to pay for goods and they are far away from an atm or bank, they can now use your POS services to do that transaction

if someone wants to transfer money from their atm to their family member in another location, then it is easy for them to use your POS

people that want to receive cash can also use your POS service, they will transfer the money they need to your account and you give them cash while you take your commission

The CBN cashless policy will bring more customers to your POS Business, now people will be able to pay for anything through POS and you will cashout, you will get more customers than ever before.

Anyway, just see the big picture, fantasize, dream and think of how much money you will make from CBN cashless policy.
when I can transfer from my account by app, used, or ATM the pos operators will loose out
Re: CBN Cashless Policy Is Good For POS Business by Frezhkid10(m): 9:30pm On Dec 07, 2022
Typicool8:
If you look at it critically, it has its own advantages and disadvantages.
Think about the market women that are into sales of foodstuffs and all , how will they cope ?
They will cope..
I remember last year when my workplace management announced that we are going to be tilting towards paperless operation..there was a lot of whining and discouragement especially from the advanced folks..
Fast forward to this year..all operations are going on smoothly and even the advanced folks have all adjusted…
So don’t worry about the market people..they will get used to it.

1 Like

Re: CBN Cashless Policy Is Good For POS Business by annayawchee: 9:32pm On Dec 07, 2022
Acidosis:

..and how will this affect banks and bank workers?

Think about it.
bank will downsize their workforce on the long run

1 Like

Re: CBN Cashless Policy Is Good For POS Business by patrick2015: 9:45pm On Dec 07, 2022
I think some of your submissions are not well thought.
Max withdrawal of 100k a week is a no for POS operators. Any additional fund will attract 5% and POS operators do not make 5% of their funds, it's between 1-3%. The POS guy is as limited as his customers.
The cashless policy is not aimed at POS operators, it's at politicians and I commend Buhari for this

1 Like

Re: CBN Cashless Policy Is Good For POS Business by patrick2015: 9:49pm On Dec 07, 2022
Market women must adopt the enaira. Cashless is the target and CBN is out to make it work
Re: CBN Cashless Policy Is Good For POS Business by VOR2019: 9:50pm On Dec 07, 2022
CBN will have to drastically reduce the commission/transaction fees for this to work. The transaction fees are killing.
quote author=thebosstrevor1 post=118974754]Most POS operators are concerned about the new CBN cashless policy, I personally think they shouldn't stress themselves and I think the new CBN policy is a good one for them.

Anyway, just see the big picture, fantasize, dream and think of how much money you will make from CBN cashless policy.[/quote]

1 Like

Re: CBN Cashless Policy Is Good For POS Business by highness25(m): 10:03pm On Dec 07, 2022
thebosstrevor1:

Did I hear you say "they can transfer to me and I'll give them cash"? It seems you don't know what you're saying yet. Customers transferring to POS merchants is the most risky part of the business. What if the transfer is coming from a stolen phone? And with the policy, I can't withdraw more than 100k a day. What if I run out of cash and someone sends more than 100k how will I be able to withdraw from the bank and pay the person? Some people doesn't think Sha.

3 Likes

Re: CBN Cashless Policy Is Good For POS Business by Nobody: 10:11pm On Dec 07, 2022
somehow:

Then register your POS as a Ltd and enjoy higher limit.
20k per day is for 'individual POS'.

Cashless policy is here to stay.

Even with that, businesses have maximum weekly withdrawal limit of 500k while for individuals it is 100k per week.

Whichever way you look at it, there is not going to be allowance for POS operators to have access to large amount of cash comparative to other because that defeats the very objective of the policy.

OP's argument is ignorant. The whole point of this policy is to compulsorily migrate Nigerians towards a cashless society so Nigeria gains the many benefits deriving from that. If loopholes are spotted then they will be shut down.

3 Likes

Re: CBN Cashless Policy Is Good For POS Business by Ravenglass: 10:13pm On Dec 07, 2022
So many misinformation here.

For clarity, you can't do more than 20k singular transaction per card on POS now. So, if you wanna buy that OLED TV, your card may be useless and you may have to transfer.

POS business in areas where people do little amounts will thrive. However, in a place like Ladipo or Alaba, it may be tougher.

Also, withdrawal per week for individuals is #100k and corporate, #500k. You may wanna open a corporate account now.

Futhermore, besides the 5% / 10% processing fees on withdrawals above, at certain volumes, you'll also be needing the written approval of the MD/CEO of the bank. I doubt if MDs will really have such times for numerous approvals.

All in all, let's see how January 9, 2023 begins.

Cheers!
Re: CBN Cashless Policy Is Good For POS Business by Nobody: 10:15pm On Dec 07, 2022
highness25:
Did I hear you say "they can transfer to me and I'll give them cash"? It seems you don't know what you're saying yet. Customers transferring to POS merchants is the most risky part of the business. What if the transfer is coming from a stolen phone? And with the policy, I can't withdraw more than 100k a day. What if I run out of cash and someone sends more than 100k how will I be able to withdraw from the bank and pay the person? Some people doesn't think Sha.

20k a day bro not 100k.

3 Likes

Re: CBN Cashless Policy Is Good For POS Business by Idoko619(m): 10:27pm On Dec 07, 2022
thebosstrevor1:

Let me explain

If you are going to make payment through the pos for lets say school fee.

the POS operators deduct the school fees plus commission from your atm, he doesnt have to deal with cash.

Also If a POS operator wants to deal with cash, he can also hoard money( save money) and dispense out to those who want withdrawal for a fee

You obviously don't know what you're talking about anyway.
I've a POS, withdrawal is the only reason the business exists.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: CBN Cashless Policy Is Good For POS Business by Smile4mee01: 10:29pm On Dec 07, 2022
thebosstrevor1:

Tell me why a customer needs to use a POS for a non cash transaction when his Mobile app or online banking can do the same from the comfort of his phone?
Re: CBN Cashless Policy Is Good For POS Business by Promising5555: 10:31pm On Dec 07, 2022
Pos withdrawal limit is 20k per day

1 Like

Re: CBN Cashless Policy Is Good For POS Business by Nobody: 10:32pm On Dec 07, 2022
Ravenglass:

So many misinformation here.

For clarity, you can't do more than 20k singular transaction per card on POS now. So, if you wanna buy that OLED TV, your card may be useless and you may have to transfer.

POS business in areas where people do little amounts will thrive. However, in a place like Ladipo or Alaba, it may be tougher.

Also, withdrawal per week for individuals is #100k and corporate, #500k. You may wanna open a corporate account now.

Futhermore, besides the 5% / 10% processing fees on withdrawals above, at certain volumes, you'll also be needing the written approval of the MD/CEO of the bank. I doubt if MDs will really have such times for numerous approvals.

All in all, let's see how January 9, 2023 begins.

Cheers!

Indeed. I just pointed this out above to someone who thinks daily cash withdrawal limit is 100k whereas it is 20k daily and 100k weekly.

Would be helpful if people take even 5 minutes to comprehensively read and understand the precise limits and parameters of the new policy.

There is no 'cheat mode' or advantaged high ground for POS operators because, even as it not not explicitly stated, they are one of the targets the government wish to put out of business so the control of the flow of money is organised and streamlined.

There is no such thing as POS operators on the streets of London whereas you can see 20 on a 500 meter road in Lagos when, truth be told, they are not needed if Nigerians can wean themselves of the addiction to using cash.

Government is intentionally forcing Nigerians to rid themselves of the addiction to carrying and using cash. You go to a shop, use your card to pay. You book uber, pay with your card. You wish to pay a plumber, Carpenter or AC repairer, then transfer.

There is no excuse at all for payer or payee insisting on the use of cash. Limiting cash transaction to a minimum forces every Nigerian and most transaction to be banked.

If your access to cash is limited you will have no choice but to embrace using your card and electronic purchases/transfer etal. Many Nigerians may even find that they will like it.

People should stop ignorant conjectures. Government want Nigerians to use POS less and directly take DIY advantage of the power of electronic transactions which is now fully up to speed in Nigeria and accessible.

2 Likes

Re: CBN Cashless Policy Is Good For POS Business by edoncast: 10:34pm On Dec 07, 2022
ojoadeola:
The OP does not understand the whole issue here

Why would I ask a POS to pay for me when I have my ATM and USSD with me?
Why would I approach a POS to help me transfer when I can make the transfer on my phone?
How would the POS handle the request of different people that comes to the stall for cash, when the Operator only has access to 100k per week?
If the Operator should hoard cash, how sufficient will the money be to handle various requests?

What I think may happen is for the CBN and the different POS companies to create a platform for POS operators to access more funds, to serve the people.

Otherwise, the poor will suffer more, because they would be made to pay for any extra charges the Operator incurs on getting Cash. The People may be made to pay N500 for every N5k withdrawn via the POS

The OP does not make sense at all.

Why will i go to POS shop because I want to pay my son school fee ,buy stuff in supermarket or pay for goods in the market when I can get their account details foe the transfer using ussd or my app?

This OP sef

2 Likes

Re: CBN Cashless Policy Is Good For POS Business by Idoko619(m): 10:35pm On Dec 07, 2022
thebosstrevor1:

Why do people use POS when there is ATM and USSD

ATM can be faraway and USSD can have a transfer limit

Just give up pls

1 Like

Re: CBN Cashless Policy Is Good For POS Business by felibrain: 10:39pm On Dec 07, 2022
thebosstrevor1:

Why do people use POS when there is ATM and USSD

ATM can be faraway and USSD can have a transfer limit
LOL. The only reason people use POS is to transfer the cash at hand to bank. And transfer from bank to cash. Nobody goes to the POS to send money from their bank account to another bank account.
They go there with cash and now the policy will mean no more huge cash flow to carry to POS.

4 Likes

Re: CBN Cashless Policy Is Good For POS Business by nfour4(m): 10:45pm On Dec 07, 2022
Don't forget that all banks have USSD, mobile App, online banking, QR payment, Quick teller transfer on ATM, funds transfer request option in banking hall.

Pls how do you think POS businesses, will compete with all of these payment platform.

Don't forget also that most companies will start making request for POS machines to make payments easy for customers.

3 Likes

Re: CBN Cashless Policy Is Good For POS Business by Angrymode: 11:10pm On Dec 07, 2022
thebosstrevor1:

you dont transfer out of your wallet

you are offering a service of using your POS to transfer money

if someone says he wants to transfer 10k to another person, you deduct from the person atm the 10k plus your fee, so it will be 10k+50 or 100 naira( your profit aka transfer fee)

Most people already know how to use USSD for transactions so most of what you are saying is invalid. This cashless policy is gonna hit POS operators hard on withdrawals but it will also turn them to deposit messengers for a little while. It's services such as airtime/data and other subscriptions that will largely keep their business going that's if they will survive for long.

Remember how phonebooths faded out with time. This might just happen to POS operators.
Re: CBN Cashless Policy Is Good For POS Business by successman100: 11:13pm On Dec 07, 2022
BATified2023:
do u know if the market woman wants to restock

She has to go to bank to withdraw the 100k of which she will use 5k to withdraw on the counter,meaning to every 100k transaction she’s parting with 5k

So where is the gain?
It is a stupid policy indeed.
Emefiele is mad.
Every Nigerian should stop patronizing Zenith bank. They alongside that wicked Emefiele are nothing but extortioners , poverty and the devil's advocate.
Re: CBN Cashless Policy Is Good For POS Business by Angrymode: 11:19pm On Dec 07, 2022
This is just another policy to render many citizens jobless. Kudos to Buhari and APC for always looking for new ways to suffer Nigerians.
Re: CBN Cashless Policy Is Good For POS Business by E2000: 12:07am On Dec 08, 2022
Pos operators will only benefit from illiterate Nigerians assuming we really operate a cashless society. By the way I think the CBN is doing a good job assuming they can keep it up.
Re: CBN Cashless Policy Is Good For POS Business by zeyheed(m): 1:28am On Dec 08, 2022
BATified2023:
so how will the Pos guy withdraw from d bank since he can only withdraw 20k a day?

Don’t forget if u have 15 accounts n it’s linked to just 1 bvn u can only withdraw 20 from d whole account or he enters bank n they charge him 5k for collecting 100k

How will he make gain?

Don’t u know with the new policy,cbn is encouraging savings n discouraging withdrawals
I don't think withdrawals for pos operators would attract much % if it's just business centre (just like BDC) because they are helping the bank, but business owners who uses pos would. What do I know sha
Re: CBN Cashless Policy Is Good For POS Business by zeyheed(m): 1:30am On Dec 08, 2022
Angrymode:

Most people already know how to use USSD for transactions so most of what you are saying is invalid. This cashless policy is gonna hit POS operators hard on withdrawals but it will also turn them to deposit messengers for a little while. It's services such as airtime/data and other subscriptions that will largely keep their business going that's if they will survive for long.
Not too true because they will always recycle the money...... Some people will deposit while some withdraw
Remember how phonebooths faded out with time. This might just happen to POS operators.
Re: CBN Cashless Policy Is Good For POS Business by Owologbo(m): 5:39am On Dec 08, 2022
thebosstrevor1:

How will POS operators withdraw the cash for all these transactions when you can only withdraw 20k a day or you pay 5% for exceeding that 20k?
Don't tell me they can get money from filling station managers, because is not everyone that has that connection.
Re: CBN Cashless Policy Is Good For POS Business by Owologbo(m): 5:41am On Dec 08, 2022
thebosstrevor1:

you dont transfer out of your wallet

you are offering a service of using your POS to transfer money

if someone says he wants to transfer 10k to another person, you deduct from the person atm the 10k plus your fee, so it will be 10k+50 or 100 naira( your profit aka transfer fee)

What if the person needs cash, how will you sort for this cash when your daily limit is 20k?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

New Exchange Rate? / CBN Instructs Banks To Open Weekends / FG Bars Online Banks From Accessing Customers’ Photos, Contacts

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 96
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.