Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,162,781 members, 7,851,648 topics. Date: Thursday, 06 June 2024 at 03:17 AM

Labour Party Proposed 80-100k Minimum Wage Is Just An Empty Political Lie - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Labour Party Proposed 80-100k Minimum Wage Is Just An Empty Political Lie (624 Views)

60 Minimum Wage Is Too Too Much. Strike to reduce senators salary instead / In Algeria: Minimum Wage Is N161,500, 1 Litre Of Petrol Is N321 / Nigeria: No Police, No Military, No Media. Just An Order. (photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Labour Party Proposed 80-100k Minimum Wage Is Just An Empty Political Lie by lhordspy: 9:44am On Dec 09, 2022
I stand to be corrected though. My opinions are just personal.

Labour party said its planning on increasing minimum wage from N30,000 to N80,000 or N100,000. Welcome to Nigeria, where every unrealistic promises are celebrated even when it is obviously unachievable.

A minimum wage is the statutory minimum wage that employers can pay monthly in Nigeria. Presently the Minimum wage in Nigeria is N30,000. Which some states are still finding it hard complying. it is saddening to know someone is campaigning with increasing a minimum wage from 30k-100k.

My questions are:
How do you fund it?
Where will the money be coming from? In a country where common continous payment of petrol subsidy is taking a toll on the country finances. And removing it is the only option to avoid the workers on the present N30k minimum wage being damned.

How do you get states to fund this?
The same states that are either always waiting for national cake to survive or surviving on foreign loans?

How do you get private sectors to key into this?
Surely a government looking to increase the minimum wage to that magnitude will want to force the private sector to tag along to avoid an unbalance society. The same private sectors that are crawling at the moment, struggling in this post-covid era and failing economy.

This is more like telling a kid that if he stop crying. you are going to buy him an Aeroplane. Ice-cream is realistic, cheaper and affordable. Why aeroplane? Your guess is as good as mine. DECEIT.

I consider the statement from Labour party an empty political words from power hungry politicians looking to take advantage of the emotions of the citizens. It is very far from realistic. Just empty promises.

It will create confusion and chaos in the states, between the state government and its workers. The civil servants will struggle to survive even with the big pay. The biggest casualties will be the non-governmental worker and menial workers, this guys make at least 60% of the Labour force. The inflation will run them down. It will cause an unbalance society.

Nobody is criticising the belief or attempt at pulling it but we need to be very realistic with ourselves. Ofcourse higher wages of that magnitude increase incomes but at the same time are likely to cause higher consumer spending. Employers that have to pay workers more, will have to charge more so the company can make a profit. Raising the minimum wage does not increase the value of the worker's labour; it increases the cost of the worker's labour.  Another statistical indicator to consider is the proportion of employees who will likely be affected by the introduction of a minimum wage or an uprating of an existing minimum wage. If i have to pay more, then i have to find a way to reduce the number of man-power at my disposal. People will lose their jobs, employment rate will stalk and and unemployment level will skyrocket.

What about compliance?
Also since compliance is partly dependent on the level of the minimum wage, there is also a high probability that a minimum wage set too high would result in a low level of compliance from the state level and the private sectors.

In macroeconomic, there is something called the wage-price spiral theory or inflationary spiral; it tends to portray the interrelationship between increase in wages and an increase in cost of living.

This theory represents the situation which a rise in wages and prices mounts pressure on the economy, thereby causing inflation. The increase of minimum wage of that magnitude could bring about increase in cost of goods, increase in consumer purchasing power, which in turn creates increase in demands for commodties..

Here we have labour party telling us its going to increase the minimum wages from N30,000 - N100,000 without giving us any concrete and convincing ways to achieve that. Labour party think we are fools.

Mynd44 mukina2 nlfpmod

2 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Labour Party Proposed 80-100k Minimum Wage Is Just An Empty Political Lie by Lanretoye(m): 9:46am On Dec 09, 2022
They begin to promise what they cannot afford.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Labour Party Proposed 80-100k Minimum Wage Is Just An Empty Political Lie by Didijiji: 9:46am On Dec 09, 2022
I just checked the OP and realized he is the number 1 supporter of the government of backwardness and pains

7 Likes

Re: Labour Party Proposed 80-100k Minimum Wage Is Just An Empty Political Lie by JasonScoolari: 9:46am On Dec 09, 2022
lhordspy:

No, you don't stand to be corrected, rather, you're standing as a bloody hypocrite...

Which of the numerous "Promises" Baba Lifeless made during the 2015/2019 general elections has he been able to fulfill?

You turned a blind eyes to the unfulfilled promises of the APC government, but your eyes are now wide to criticize the Promise of the Labour party.

This your own hypocrisy is powered by the Sun.

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: Labour Party Proposed 80-100k Minimum Wage Is Just An Empty Political Lie by oyebanji44: 9:46am On Dec 09, 2022
Where or how will they get the money in the first place ...?

Obi is very desperate

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Labour Party Proposed 80-100k Minimum Wage Is Just An Empty Political Lie by lhordspy: 9:47am On Dec 09, 2022
Lanretoye:
They begin to promise what they cannot afford.

They think we are fools.
Lets assume LP wins (God forbid) .. It is very sure they wont have a total number of 6 representatives both at the lower and upper chambers, because of the party neglection of the grassroot politics. Some supporters of LP dont even know the name of their state governorship candidate, talkmore of senatorial or house of rep. Most of his policies will stalk, get thrown out at the National assembly or even take long to be consider.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Labour Party Proposed 80-100k Minimum Wage Is Just An Empty Political Lie by derecho(m): 9:57am On Dec 09, 2022
Though I know you copied it from your clueless Ogas.
Just edit the title abeg
English no get
"An Empty Political Lies"

1 Like

Re: Labour Party Proposed 80-100k Minimum Wage Is Just An Empty Political Lie by Corrinthians(m): 10:00am On Dec 09, 2022
Didijiji:
I just checked the OP and realized he is the number 1 supporter of the government of backwardness and pains
Now that you've checked him out, check what he's written and the questions he's raised here and attempt to answer them accordingly. Let's see who is stupid between the two of you.

2 Likes

Re: Labour Party Proposed 80-100k Minimum Wage Is Just An Empty Political Lie by Majesty2(m): 10:09am On Dec 09, 2022
Obimumu thinks that we are foolish like those ipob pigs supporting him, we go surprise the worthless fool come feb 25th

1 Like

Re: Labour Party Proposed 80-100k Minimum Wage Is Just An Empty Political Lie by Didijiji: 10:10am On Dec 09, 2022
Corrinthians:
Now that you've checked him out, check what he's written and the questions he's raised here and attempt to answer them accordingly. Let's see who is stupid between the two of you.
Stupidity is an exclusive trait of Tinubu and APC supporters.

Remember the slogan!

YOU CANNOT SUPPORT APC & NOT LOOK STUPID

2 Likes

Re: Labour Party Proposed 80-100k Minimum Wage Is Just An Empty Political Lie by derecho(m): 10:11am On Dec 09, 2022
It's stupidity to even engage a daft person.
It's just like wasting your time on whether the devil is saying the truth or lying.
The Op already told you it's an opinion and you want people to spend valuable time debating the opinion of a confirmed idiot?

Money to fund whatever in Nigeria is not a problem.Leadership is.

Peter Obi is not Tinubu who only thinks tax or Atiku always thinking of selling off Nigeria.
Anyone following/listening to Peter Obi for the past seven months knows the answers to his questions.
Corrinthians:
Re: Labour Party Proposed 80-100k Minimum Wage Is Just An Empty Political Lie by lhordspy: 10:28am On Dec 09, 2022
derecho:
Though I know you copied it from your clueless Ogas.
Just edit the title abeg
English no get
"An Empty Political Lies"

Why dont you create your own thread with 'correct' sophisticated English title .

Bye.
Re: Labour Party Proposed 80-100k Minimum Wage Is Just An Empty Political Lie by derecho(m): 10:33am On Dec 09, 2022
Instead of you to say thank you na giragira you dey do.

You no like as you kwarrekt am now?
Don't allow Support for Tinubu ruin your destiny.
lhordspy:

Why dont you create your own thread with 'correct' sophisticated English title .

Bye.
Re: Labour Party Proposed 80-100k Minimum Wage Is Just An Empty Political Lie by Nobody: 10:36am On Dec 09, 2022
grin grin grin

Re: Labour Party Proposed 80-100k Minimum Wage Is Just An Empty Political Lie by Isobug: 10:44am On Dec 09, 2022
You stand to be corrected yet you already termed the proposition a lie
Re: Labour Party Proposed 80-100k Minimum Wage Is Just An Empty Political Lie by lhordspy: 10:48am On Dec 09, 2022
derecho:
Instead of you to say thank you na giragira you dey do.

You no like as you kwarrekt am now?
Don't allow Support for Tinubu ruin your destiny.

Werey. Telling me respectfully that i mistakenly put 's' at the back of the 'Lie' wont make you miss heaven or make you less intelligent.
Re: Labour Party Proposed 80-100k Minimum Wage Is Just An Empty Political Lie by derecho(m): 11:06am On Dec 09, 2022
Omugo..
I should kneel and tell you to remove "s" na me send you the mumu work?

God wan expose your character na hin make you dey dance naked for market.

Next time, just keep quiet(and correct it) if your mouth is too heavy like your principal's to say thank you.

Simple, "I'm sorry o or thank you" you dey talk about heaven

Mr. an empty political lies

lhordspy:

Werey. Telling me respectfully that i mistakenly put 's' at the back of the 'Lie' wont make you miss heaven or make you less intelligent.
Re: Labour Party Proposed 80-100k Minimum Wage Is Just An Empty Political Lie by Otamendi99(m): 11:10am On Dec 09, 2022
Didijiji:

Supporter or not. I know u didn't read d post. Try using ur sense small. U pay 60k as FG states now pay 30k. U wan sell goods of FG to state worker.
Re: Labour Party Proposed 80-100k Minimum Wage Is Just An Empty Political Lie by Didijiji: 11:15am On Dec 09, 2022
Otamendi99:

Supporter or not. I know u didn't read d post. Try using ur sense small. U pay 60k as FG states now pay 30k. U wan sell goods of FG to state worker.
Stop the stealing and theft by government officials and pay even 150k as minimum wage conveniently
Re: Labour Party Proposed 80-100k Minimum Wage Is Just An Empty Political Lie by Otamendi99(m): 11:27am On Dec 09, 2022
Didijiji:
Stop the stealing and theft by government officials and pay even 150k as minimum wage conveniently

It can still never happen. Dia is disparity in FG allocation, Revenue etc to states. IGR of states are not also d same. If states like Lagos, Rivers or even Kano pays dat. Wat happens to states like zamfara, yobe, borno and Ebonyi states dat depend on FG allocation.
Re: Labour Party Proposed 80-100k Minimum Wage Is Just An Empty Political Lie by basybasy: 12:12pm On Dec 09, 2022
lhordspy:

They think we are fools.
Lets assume LP wins (God forbid) .. It is very sure they wont have a total number of 6 representatives both at the lower and upper chambers, because of the party neglection of the grassroot politics. Some supporters of LP dont even know the name of their state governorship candidate, talkmore of senatorial or house of rep. Most of his policies will stalk, get thrown out at the National assembly or even take long to be consider.

Obi is a scam. He does not have any plan for Nigeria. Let him gets there, u will be hearing blame games and complaints. Obi is a 419. He only struggle to grab power for Igbos, and quote me today, if Obi wins(God fobid), North and South-West will bleed. Especially, the Northern Nigeria will be depopulated. Igbos will destroy North completely, because, they don't forgive.
Re: Labour Party Proposed 80-100k Minimum Wage Is Just An Empty Political Lie by julaion: 12:23pm On Dec 09, 2022
lhordspy:

Mynd44 mukina2 nlfpmod
BATsard urchins like you grin south Africa minimum wage is N126,480 but smelling maggot like you fill with hate won't see that......all you see is agbado in the morning.......

Re: Labour Party Proposed 80-100k Minimum Wage Is Just An Empty Political Lie by julaion: 12:26pm On Dec 09, 2022
basybasy:

Obi is a scam. He does not have any plan for Nigeria. Let him gets there, u will be hearing blame games and complaints. Obi is a 419. He only struggle to grab power for Igbos, and quote me today, if Obi wins(God fobid), North and South-West will bleed. Especially, the Northern Nigeria will be depopulated. Igbos will destroy North completely, because, they don't forgive.
don't stop oh just keep fooling your entire generation while obedient keep penetrating every nook and cranny of this country grin urchins

Re: Labour Party Proposed 80-100k Minimum Wage Is Just An Empty Political Lie by Didijiji: 12:27pm On Dec 09, 2022
Otamendi99:

It can still never happen. Dia is disparity in FG allocation, Revenue etc to states. IGR of states are not also d same. If states like Lagos, Rivers or even Kano pays dat. Wat happens to states like zamfara, yobe, borno and Ebonyi states dat depend on FG allocation.
still go and add all the monies those governors in the states you didn’t mention steak and watch how you pay the minimum wage with jara
Re: Labour Party Proposed 80-100k Minimum Wage Is Just An Empty Political Lie by Corrinthians(m): 1:20pm On Dec 09, 2022
derecho:
It's stupidity to even engage a daft person.
It's just like wasting your time on whether the devil is saying the truth or lying.
The Op already told you it's an opinion and you want people to spend valuable time debating the opinion of a confirmed idiot?

Money to fund whatever in Nigeria is not a problem.Leadership is.

Peter Obi is not Tinubu who only thinks tax or Atiku always thinking of selling off Nigeria.
Anyone following/listening to Peter Obi for the past seven months knows the answers to his questions.
"Obidient" don cap finish. grin grin

(1) (Reply)

So Doyin Okupe Will Be Hearing Tinubu's Victory in 2023 From Kuje Prison / Delta State Unwavering Support For Atiku Abubakar 2023 / Nigeriadecides 2023: Online Polls Has Been Launched. Vote now!!!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 56
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.