Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,848 members, 7,810,268 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 03:59 AM

A White Woman Singing Two Yoruba Christian Songs - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / A White Woman Singing Two Yoruba Christian Songs (10569 Views)

White Students Of Yoruba Language University, U.S Singing Yoruba Hymn!(video) / The Yoruba Christian Connection / British Tottenham Choir Singing Yoruba song - Ise Oluwa (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

A White Woman Singing Two Yoruba Christian Songs by wales(m): 8:57pm On Aug 24, 2007
This is VERY beautiful. A white woman singing two Yoruba christian songs - "kilo le se, and osu bare re." It is really a small world.

Just copy the link below. I am very certain you will not be disappointed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kywXb31c2HA

GOD ANSWERS PRAYERS.
Re: A White Woman Singing Two Yoruba Christian Songs by HolinessM: 10:53pm On Aug 24, 2007
??
Re: A White Woman Singing Two Yoruba Christian Songs by nguage(m): 8:22am On Aug 25, 2007
wow! thats so muuuuuuuuuuuuuchhhhhhhhhhhhhhh bulllllshittttttttttttttt! Whats my goddamn biz, if some snowbunny decides to sing a yoruba song. I've been singing English songs since I was born. I dont give a rats ass if some slavemistress sings in my language.
Re: A White Woman Singing Two Yoruba Christian Songs by Nobody: 10:51am On Aug 25, 2007
n-guage:

wow! thats so muuuuuuuuuuuuuchhhhhhhhhhhhhhh bulllllshittttttttttttttt! Whats my goddamn biz, if some snowbunny decides to sing a yoruba song. I've been singing English songs since I was born. I don't give a rats ass if some slavemistress sings in my language.

A bit different though, English is a universal language, Yoruba isn't.

You sound really angry, why let things get to you that bad??
Re: A White Woman Singing Two Yoruba Christian Songs by iyaaje(m): 12:47pm On Aug 25, 2007
and so wot?what is the big deal in that?don't we sing in english too?abeg make we hear word jare,na people like you dey make this oyinbo people and their lang feel superior and special.
Re: A White Woman Singing Two Yoruba Christian Songs by PTH(m): 12:53pm On Aug 25, 2007
i tend to agree with some of the comments here. Wales tends to give the impression that we should be eternally grateful that a white goddess could descend from her throne to sing songs in yoruba. maybe we should be kissing her feet too. undecided
Re: A White Woman Singing Two Yoruba Christian Songs by doublehark(m): 2:34pm On Aug 25, 2007
@ n-guage, iya aje,PTH I think you all did not get him well.I DONT THINK HE IS SAYING SHE deserves praises, all he is trying to say is its kinda swell that our mother tongue could get that far.Face it, How many millions speak Yoruba? can you compare the number to d number of people speaking the 2 world most spoken language? Let's not let hatred cloud us, i was equally suprised the 1st day i heard Yoruba on Encarta, its simply fascinating and i am proud to be of Yoruba origin.
Re: A White Woman Singing Two Yoruba Christian Songs by HolinessM: 3:21pm On Aug 25, 2007
i wonder what the surprise is in that. She can sing and even talk in Yoruba for all I care. Maybe she got the gift of speaking in toungues.
Re: A White Woman Singing Two Yoruba Christian Songs by iyaaje(m): 3:28pm On Aug 25, 2007
doublehark:

@ n-guage, iya aje,PTH I think you all did not get him well.I DONT THINK HE IS SAYING SHE deserves praises, all he is trying to say is its kind of swell that our mother tongue could get that far.Face it, How many millions speak Yoruba? can you compare the number to d number of people speaking the 2 world most spoken language? Let's not let hatred cloud us, i was equally suprised the 1st day i heard Yoruba on Encarta, its simply fascinating and i am proud to be of Yoruba origin.
in dat case all the yorubas all over the world should go out tomorrow and do thanksgiving grin grin grin grin
Re: A White Woman Singing Two Yoruba Christian Songs by spoilt(f): 7:59pm On Aug 25, 2007
she had better learn ibo too. angry
Re: A White Woman Singing Two Yoruba Christian Songs by PTH(m): 7:59pm On Aug 25, 2007
doublehark:

@ n-guage, iya aje,PTH I think you all did not get him well.I DONT THINK HE IS SAYING SHE deserves praises, all he is trying to say is its kind of swell that our mother tongue could get that far.Face it, How many millions speak Yoruba? can you compare the number to d number of people speaking the 2 world most spoken language? Let's not let hatred cloud us, i was equally suprised the 1st day i heard Yoruba on Encarta, its simply fascinating and i am proud to be of Yoruba origin.

there are more than 50million people all over the world who speak yoruba, far more than speak hebrew and yet the jews dont devote an entire thread anytime an African manages to sing a song in hebrew.
this attitude of "feeling proud" anytime you see yoruba in encarta or see a white woman singing in yoruba smirks of inferiority complex to me. It is not hatred, i dont need to see white men singing in it or find it on google before i show how proud i am to be able to speak yoruba.
Re: A White Woman Singing Two Yoruba Christian Songs by nguage(m): 6:31am On Aug 26, 2007
I really dont think white people are that smart anyway, how long did she practise?
Re: A White Woman Singing Two Yoruba Christian Songs by Angelheart: 12:50pm On Aug 27, 2007
n-guage:

I really don't think white people are that smart anyway, how long did she practise?

Probably 10 months!

I see nothing wow about the fact that she can sing in Yoruba!~ SO the hell what? Why is it that when a white person speaks an African language we consider it to be CUTE>?? However, when Uche speaks Engligh with a funny accent of if his English is not good at all, we laught at him??

As far as Im concerned, she sounds lousy!
Re: A White Woman Singing Two Yoruba Christian Songs by pilgrim1(f): 1:23pm On Aug 27, 2007
People, we should be proud that other people are interested and even captivated by our indigenous languages. Some of you don't know what it means to Europeans when they hear us speak English or even their own native languages as well as they do. I've been to several European countries and experienced the surprises on their faces to simply hear us speak. It is not as if some of us dey form 'phoné' for them; but majority of them simply imagine that we as Africans (not to even mention "Nigerians"wink have no clue how to speak English!

Then come to when my Nigerian friend once held a very engaging conversation in fluent Swedish with a Swede! I was simply impressed - and delightfully amazed! No less so was our Swedish host!

Rather than be put off, let's learn to be appreciative that people know Nigerians for good things instead of the 419 and other stuff they've become accustomed to as appellations for Nigeria. Afterall, nobody said we should worship the white woman singing in Yoruba.
Re: A White Woman Singing Two Yoruba Christian Songs by PTH(m): 3:26pm On Aug 27, 2007
For once pilgrim.1 i have to sadly disagree with your oppinion.

pilgrim.1:

People, we should be proud that other people are interested and even captivated by our indigenous languages.

Why should we be "proud" that others are interested in our languages? We adopt English (a foreign language as our lingua franca), we offer French classes from primary - tertiary level and YET no of these foreign countries considers it important to even mention our own languages.
When one or two out of millions attempt to humor us by singing in our language all of a sudden we think it is cute and we shld be proud? How many English people are "proud" that Nigerians speak english?

pilgrim.1:

Some of you don't know what it means to Europeans when they hear us speak English or even their own native languages as well as they do.

Trust me they do not think we have the mental capacity to be able to learn their language. When most Americans and English people express surprise that i speak English so well it is not because they are proud that i can do so but are amazed that people who live in the jungle, in trees, naked and with animals can even learn english.

pilgrim.1:

I've been to several European countries and experienced the surprises on their faces to simply hear us speak. It is not as if some of us dey form 'phoné' for them; but majority of them simply imagine that we as Africans (not to even mention "Nigerians"wink have no clue how to speak English!

Yeah, they expect us more to be only capable of chattering like monkeys.

pilgrim.1:

Rather than be put off, let's learn to be appreciative that people know Nigerians for good things instead of the 419 and other stuff they've become accustomed to as appellations for Nigeria. Afterall, nobody said we should worship the white woman singing in Yoruba.

When we start off by claiming to be proud that a white woman sings songs that an average 3 yr old in Nigeria should be able to, we are indirectly expressing white worship.
Re: A White Woman Singing Two Yoruba Christian Songs by pilgrim1(f): 8:42pm On Aug 27, 2007
@PTH,

Well, it's alright to disagree.

However, I think it's a great thing if people are interested in our languages and cultures - no matter how insignificant the number may be. They may not adopt our languages; but we should not forget that no single country can lay exclusive claim to even the so-called international languages.

Some of them may not think us smart enough to be human beings - and they've been proven wrong again and again.

All the same, this is not about 'worship' paid to anybody - much less a white woman. A 3 y.o. in Nigeria can sing Yoruba songs; but how many such 3 yr olds could sing songs in Chinese of Cantonese? Lol. . . speaking a language one did not grow up with is something that should be appreciated. smiley
Re: A White Woman Singing Two Yoruba Christian Songs by Seun(m): 8:50pm On Aug 27, 2007
Regardless of what others may think, I love the video. kiss
Re: A White Woman Singing Two Yoruba Christian Songs by wales(m): 10:04pm On Aug 27, 2007
I find it very hard to see why people don't see reasons, why we should be glad that a white woman is singing two Yoruba Christian songs. first we should be glad that she is praising God in our own language which some of us born in Nigeria can not do, and at the same time, for her to praise God in Yoruba which is not a major language in Nigeria i feel we should see reason to be happy about it, for we all know that English is the major language in Nigeria which it is also the major language of all this other countries we try to copy. with this you should know that a white man or woman will not be moved if you speck English to her/him or you sing in English, for they know it is our major language. so for me i am glad that a white woman is singing in my native language.
Re: A White Woman Singing Two Yoruba Christian Songs by PTH(m): 10:18pm On Aug 27, 2007
pilgrim.1:

However, I think it's a great thing if people are interested in our languages and cultures - no matter how insignificant the number may be. They may not adopt our languages; but we should not forget that no single country can lay exclusive claim to even the so-called international languages.

There is nothing like "international languages". The English have exclusive rights to the English language that is why you dont see Germans writing English dictionaries for them. French is exclusive to the people of France, ditto for German, Spanish, Dutch. The reason why these languages are spoken widely is due largely to colonisation. The Europeans have been largely smart, the fact that English is one of the world's most universal languages is of significant economic benefit to the British and Americans.

wales:

I find it very hard to see why people don't see reasons, why we should be glad that a white woman is singing two Yoruba Christian songs. first we should be glad that she is praising God in our own language which some of us born in Nigeria can not do,

A yoruba man born in Nigeria who cant speak yoruba language should be ashamed of himself. How many Frenchmen born in France would claim not to be able to speak French?

pilgrim.1:

and at the same time, for her to praise God in Yoruba which is not a major language in Nigeria

Have you heard anything called WAZOBIA? Yoruba IS a major language in Nigeria. There are over 40million Yorubas in Nigeria alone.

pilgrim.1:

i feel we should see reason to be happy about it, for we all know that English is the major language in Nigeria which it is also the major language of all this other countries we try to copy.

1. Only colonial backward thinking African nations adopted foreign languages as lingua franca to the detriment of our mother tongue. English is not the major language of the Spanish, Germans, Russians, Chinese, Japanese, Dutch.

2. Show me a German who will put up a youtube video exclaiming about a Nigerian who can sing in German!

pilgrim.1:

with this you should know that a white man or woman will not be moved if you speck English to her/him or you sing in English, for they know it is our major language. so for me i am glad that a white woman is singing in my native language.

NO! Majority of Americans have no clue where Nigeria is on the map little talk about what major or minor languages exist there. I am glad a white woman is praising God, i could care less whether she sang in igbo or yoruba.
Re: A White Woman Singing Two Yoruba Christian Songs by FufuKing1(m): 10:30pm On Aug 27, 2007
[QUOTE]Only colonial backward thinking African nations adopted foreign languages as lingua franca to the detriment of our mother tongue. English is not the major language of the Spanish, Germans, Russians, Chinese, Japanese, Dutch. [/QUOTE]

PTH, what exactly is the mother tongue of Nigeria?

Last time I checked, there are more than 50 languages in Nigeria alone.

The Germans, Russians, Japanese and Dutch have ONE language. There aren't any African countries with one language, except the northern African countries that exclusively speak Arabic.
Re: A White Woman Singing Two Yoruba Christian Songs by PTH(m): 11:10pm On Aug 27, 2007
Fufu King:

PTH, what exactly is the mother tongue of Nigeria?

Last time I checked, there are more than 50 languages in Nigeria alone.

The Germans, Russians, Japanese and Dutch have ONE language. There aren't any African countries with one language, except the northern African countries that exclusively speak Arabic.

Let us not belabour the issue. We have over 50 languages in Nigeria alone but by sheer size Yoruba, Igbo and Hausa are our primary languages which is why English was adopted as the lingua franca to avoid the problem of federal character.

Come to think of it, is it any coincidence that ALL the worlds most powerful and most developed nations have only ONE language including the most stable nations of africa?
Re: A White Woman Singing Two Yoruba Christian Songs by FufuKing1(m): 11:26pm On Aug 27, 2007
PTH:

Let us not belabour the issue. We have over 50 languages in Nigeria alone but by sheer size Yoruba, Igbo and Hausa are our primary languages which is why English was adopted as the lingua franca to avoid the problem of federal character.

Come to think of it, is it any coincidence that ALL the worlds most powerful and most developed nations have only ONE language including the most stable nations of africa?

But talking about the multitude of languages is absolutely part of the problem! It cannot be ignored.

We cannot talk about Nigeria or most African countries having a "mother tongue" because that DOESN'T exist. Ethnic groups have mother tongues, but not the majority of the countries. The Hausa cannot understand Yoruba and the Igbo cannot understand Yoruba.

Igbo, Hausa, and Yoruba are the largest groups in Nigeria, but what makes you think that the other ethnic groups consider those languages to be their "mother tongue"? It is precisely because of this conflict that many African nations chose to keep the European language as the official language.

It allowed no one ethnic group to claim superority over the rest.
Re: A White Woman Singing Two Yoruba Christian Songs by PTH(m): 11:30pm On Aug 27, 2007
Fufu King:

But talking about the multitude of languages is absolutely part of the problem! It cannot be ignored.

We cannot talk about Nigeria or most African countries having a "mother tongue" because that DOESN'T exist. Ethnic groups have mother tongues, but not the majority of the countries. The Hausa cannot understand Yoruba and the Igbo cannot understand Yoruba.

Igbo, Hausa, and Yoruba are the largest groups in Nigeria, but what makes you think that the other ethnic groups consider those languages to be their "mother tongue"? It is precisely because of this conflict that many African nations chose to keep the European language as the official language.

It allowed no one ethnic group to claim superority over the rest.

Mother tongue does not "exist" in most african "countries" for the simple reasons that those countries themselves do not exist. We are simply living in unviable contraptions bequeathed to us by Europeans who themselves understand the power in a homogenous society.
Re: A White Woman Singing Two Yoruba Christian Songs by FufuKing1(m): 11:44pm On Aug 27, 2007
PTH:

Mother tongue does not "exist" in most african "countries" for the simple reasons that those countries themselves do not exist. We are simply living in unviable contraptions bequeathed to us by Europeans who themselves understand the power in a homogenous society.

This is true as well.

So what do you suggest? Should countries be redrawn according to ethnic groups? (My, the countries would begin to be very small)

And Europeans may understand the power in a homogenous society, but many of the various ethnic groups in Europe had to assimilate and sacrifice their sub-cultures and sub-languages in order to do so. For example, in Italy shortly after unification, the country set about standardizing Italian, and they chose a dialect of Italian from Tuscany. Today that dialect is the standard and although other dialects exists, the "mother tongue" of the country is Italian.

And it's important to remember, that even though the French, Spanish, and Portuguese have their own languages, they are all born out of the conquest and colonization of their lands by the Romans, who imposed Latin as the language of their empire. The languages that existed pre-Roman civilization have been lost forever.
Re: A White Woman Singing Two Yoruba Christian Songs by PTH(m): 11:49pm On Aug 27, 2007
Fufu King:

This is true as well.

So what do you suggest? Should countries be redrawn according to ethnic groups? (My, the countries would begin to be very small)

And Europeans may understand the power in a homogenous society, but many of the various ethnic groups in Europe had to assimilate and sacrifice their sub-cultures and sub-languages in order to do so. For example, in Italy shortly after unification, the country set about standardizing Italian, and they chose a dialect of Italian from Tuscany. Today that dialect is the standard and although other dialects exists, the "mother tongue" of the country is Italian.

There are more than 10 different yoruba dialects, at the end of the day all recognise themselves as Yorubas not simply as egbas, ijebus, ijeshas e.t.c. This is similar to the italian situation. Imagine if Jews, Arabs, Germans and Russians were major ethnic groups within one single European nation?

Fufu King:

And it's important to remember, that even though the French, Spanish, and Portuguese have their own languages, they are all born out of the conquest and colonization of their lands by the Romans, who imposed Latin as the language of their empire. The languages that existed pre-Roman civilization have been lost forever.

This is not the same thing as exists in Africa. Infact it is simply an untenable excuse to shift the blame from the European meddlers.
Re: A White Woman Singing Two Yoruba Christian Songs by FufuKing1(m): 11:55pm On Aug 27, 2007
What blame did I shift from the Europeans?

It's true that those lands were conquered and colonized by the Romans. It is also true that the cultures and languages that existed pre-Roman occupation were lost forever.

I pointed it out to show that even if cultures and languages from the past are lost, it doesn't mean that the people themselves cannot adopt a new one and move forward.

If Nigerians today, stood together and decided "We want Yoruba to be our official language" then that would be the end of it. But we all know that wouldn't happen because there are too many ethnic groups who would feel insulted and inferior if such a proclamation were to be made.
Re: A White Woman Singing Two Yoruba Christian Songs by PTH(m): 12:01am On Aug 28, 2007
Fufu King:

What blame did I shift from the Europeans?

It's true that those lands were conquered and colonized by the Romans. It is also true that the cultures and languages that existed pre-Roman occupation were lost forever.

I pointed it out to show that even if cultures and languages from the past are lost, it doesn't mean that the people themselves cannot adopt a new one and move forward.

This is a "fantastic" point of view. How do you lose a language and adopt a new one? Is it possible for igbos to "lose" their language and "adopt" yoruba?
The only way languages "get lost" is when that tribe is decimated or completely whipped out. It may also be possible that a culture gets subsumed into a more dominant culture and over the yrs they gradually adopt the cultures and language of the dominant group. It is not possible for a large mass of people to suddenly lose their language and culture overnight.

Fufu King:

If Nigerians today, stood together and decided "We want Yoruba to be our official language" then that would be the end of it. But we all know that wouldn't happen because there are too many ethnic groups who would feel insulted and inferior if such a proclamation were to be made.

We dont have that leeway. That is why while serious nations are busy developing we are still squabbling over federal character, quota system and zoning.
Re: A White Woman Singing Two Yoruba Christian Songs by tpia: 1:29am On Aug 28, 2007
who is this Me-Again
Re: A White Woman Singing Two Yoruba Christian Songs by nguage(m): 4:18am On Aug 28, 2007
A girl once asked me if Africans ''click-clacked'' like monekys
Re: A White Woman Singing Two Yoruba Christian Songs by iyaaje(m): 10:09am On Aug 29, 2007
n-guage:

A girl once asked me if Africans ''click-clacked'' like monekys
chineke,na God go punish dat yeye girl,i hope d girl no be your girlfriend sa?

@pth i love the way you write and reason
Re: A White Woman Singing Two Yoruba Christian Songs by merge(f): 1:56am On Apr 14, 2008
Big Deal !!!
Re: A White Woman Singing Two Yoruba Christian Songs by merge(f): 1:58am On Apr 14, 2008
What is the big deal? so what?

(1) (2) (Reply)

Marriage Customs Of Okrika People In River State, Nigeria / Sultan Of Sokoto Advocates Regulation Of Social Media- The Leadership / Why Do Africans Scar Themselves: Self Hate?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 71
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.