Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,167 members, 7,815,071 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 06:47 AM

Can Someone Please Explain Why Nairaland Is Not Getting Better - Webmasters - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Webmasters / Can Someone Please Explain Why Nairaland Is Not Getting Better (1418 Views)

Reasons Why Your Website Is Not Getting Traffic And See How To Tackle It / Pls I Need The Help Of A Professional To Please Explain What A Datacenter Is Pls / Why Your Facebook Ads Are Not Getting Clicks (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Can Someone Please Explain Why Nairaland Is Not Getting Better by Goldmynemaniac: 6:42pm On Dec 28, 2022
As 2022 comes to a close, let's take stock.

Nairaland was founded in 2005. I joined in 2011 after using it without registering for 2 years.

Meaning I've been on the site for over 10 years. In all these while, interesting people have come and gone(or maybe changed their handles). Some are still around but less active.

People like Afam4eva, Redmosquito, Mukina2, mrCork, lalasticlala.... made the forum fun (Oh, nostalgia!)

What is worrisome is that nairaland has refused to improve in features and functionalities, design and dynamism, content quality, etc, after all these years.

Considering advancements in web technology, gadget power gains and better internet speed, why Nairaland remains unchanging like a worn-out castle from the dark ages beats my imagination.

Anyone that knows why should please explain to me like I'm five. Even better if seun can make a defence for himself.

Oya, let's know the feature you'd like added or removed from Nairaland.

4 Likes

Re: Can Someone Please Explain Why Nairaland Is Not Getting Better by Stubborn82: 7:15pm On Dec 28, 2022
We love it like this, it is not boring, and for the most part I like it bcoz it hide our identity. Its similar to reddit
Re: Can Someone Please Explain Why Nairaland Is Not Getting Better by Goldmynemaniac: 7:36pm On Dec 28, 2022
Stubborn82:
We love it like this, it is not boring, and for the most part I like it bcoz it hide our identity. Its similar to reddit
Lol, it can still hide identity in style. Reddit is rich in features and functionalities and they keep innovating and improving.

For example, Reddit has comment grading system (upvote and downvote). Also, its way of presenting a quoted comment/response is conventional practice for communities such as Quora, Stackexchange, Github even twitter. This is in keeping with modern best practice.

Additionally, there is user ranking according to impact or contribution made to the communities(this is for forums). Reddit calls it karma. Plus you can gift a user if you find their response satisfactory.

There is a saying in the tech world that it's either you innovative or die.
I daresay that Nairaland is still relevant and retains membership for lack of worthy competition.

2 Likes

Re: Can Someone Please Explain Why Nairaland Is Not Getting Better by Stubborn82: 7:57pm On Dec 28, 2022
Goldmynemaniac:

Lol, it can still hide identity in style. Reddit is rich in features and functionalities and they keep innovating and improving.

For example, Reddit has comment grading system (upvote and downvote). Also, its way of presenting a quoted comment/response is conventional practice for communities such as Quora, Stackexchange, Github even twitter. This is in keeping with modern best practice.

Additionally, there is user ranking according to impact or contribution made to the communities(this is for forums). Reddit calls it karma. Plus you can gift a user if you find their response satisfactory.

There is a saying in the tech world that it's either you innovative or die.
I daresay that Nairaland is still relevant and retains membership for lack of worthy competition.
You are welcome
Re: Can Someone Please Explain Why Nairaland Is Not Getting Better by Goldmynemaniac: 8:02pm On Dec 28, 2022
Stubborn82:

You are welcome
Thank you grin
Re: Can Someone Please Explain Why Nairaland Is Not Getting Better by meobizy(f): 4:14pm On Dec 29, 2022
ROFLMAO.
Re: Can Someone Please Explain Why Nairaland Is Not Getting Better by YoungCabal: 9:56pm On Dec 31, 2022
Lol! There is no competition you say ?
Re: Can Someone Please Explain Why Nairaland Is Not Getting Better by Goldmynemaniac: 10:04am On Jan 01, 2023
YoungCabal:
Lol! There is no competition you say ?
I don't know any. Please help with their names.
Re: Can Someone Please Explain Why Nairaland Is Not Getting Better by YoungCabal: 10:13am On Jan 01, 2023
Goldmynemaniac:

Nairaboard.com is similar to NL but has more features
Re: Can Someone Please Explain Why Nairaland Is Not Getting Better by Bigajeff(m): 7:45pm On Jan 01, 2023
Goldmynemaniac:

Naijafans.com
Re: Can Someone Please Explain Why Nairaland Is Not Getting Better by Goldmynemaniac: 9:23pm On Jan 01, 2023
YoungCabal:
Nairaboard.com is similar to NL but has more features
Seriously! Please give me something that is at least as bad if it won't be better.
Re: Can Someone Please Explain Why Nairaland Is Not Getting Better by Goldmynemaniac: 9:24pm On Jan 01, 2023
Bigajeff:

Naijafans.com
Lol. I know you know you're joking, right?
Re: Can Someone Please Explain Why Nairaland Is Not Getting Better by YoungCabal: 9:40pm On Jan 01, 2023
Goldmynemaniac:

Seriously! Please give me something that is at least as bad if it won't be better.
how do you mean ? Like in terms of design ?
Re: Can Someone Please Explain Why Nairaland Is Not Getting Better by Goldmynemaniac: 10:21pm On Jan 01, 2023
YoungCabal:
how do you mean ? Like in terms of design ?
Overly copycat-ish. There can only be one Nairaland. A real competition must bring a unique ideology and implement it uniquely.
Re: Can Someone Please Explain Why Nairaland Is Not Getting Better by YoungCabal: 12:15am On Jan 02, 2023
Goldmynemaniac:

Overly copycat-ish. There can only be one Nairaland. A real competition must bring a unique ideology and implement it uniquely.
I disagree, the site distinguish itself from Nairaland in design and internal features, besides, the current design Nairaland is using was based on babylon theme of simple machines forum so, nairaland itself is a copycat for your information ! We wey old know the story

And BTW! There are lots of foreign forum sites that use the same design and thrive, what matters is content. It's why people visit facebook, twitter and tiktok on daily basis even when they can just stick to one app. You are just looking for a new design to see, people like you still get tired after few days, Your problem is boredom not a platform design issue.

If Nairaland was that bad, why are you still on it ? It's all about content
Re: Can Someone Please Explain Why Nairaland Is Not Getting Better by Goldmynemaniac: 12:28am On Jan 02, 2023
YoungCabal:
I disagree, the site distinguish itself from Nairaland in design and internal features, besides, the current design Nairaland is using was based on babylon theme of simple machines forum so, nairaland itself is a copycat for your information ! We wey old know the story

And BTW! There are lots of foreign forum sites that use the same design and thrive, what matters is content. It's why people visit facebook, twitter and tiktok on daily basis even when they can just stick to one app. You are just looking for a new design to see, people like you still get tired after few days, You problem is boredom not a platform design issue.
If your app adds boredom to my boredom, bet there are many others bored away just like me.

Can't we have both great content and design?

Seun found a good forum's template for that time, and tweaked it good.(Seun, ngbo?). Only that time has caught up with it.

Still try put in the diligence to find something that resonates with the tech and style of the age we live in.

Nairaboard? Even the name... (copy, yuck). I know it's not easy but please just try and be real. No need for another Nairaland if it's just going to be a terrible copy without solving any problem.

And for you sales majors, it's not just content that sells a product, packaging matters, too. Ask publishers on Amazon, a great cover will sell your book even if content sucks.

You're welcome grin
(What are you supposed to say? grin grin)
Re: Can Someone Please Explain Why Nairaland Is Not Getting Better by Bigajeff(m): 6:48am On Jan 02, 2023
Goldmynemaniac:

Lol. I know you know you're joking, right?
Yes I'm joking out of your blank page, You'll definitely see how funny Naijafans.com. will be, just wait for it. If you don't gerrit, forget about it.

2 Likes

Re: Can Someone Please Explain Why Nairaland Is Not Getting Better by YoungCabal: 7:04am On Jan 02, 2023
Goldmynemaniac:

If your app adds boredom to my boredom, bet there are many others bored away just like me.

Can't we have both great content and design?

Seun found a good forum's template for that time, and tweaked it good.(Seun, ngbo?). Only that time has caught up with it.

Still try put in the diligence to find something that resonates with the tech and style of the age we live in.

Nairaboard? Even the name... (copy, yuck). I know it's not easy but please just try and be real. No need for another Nairaland if it's just going to be a terrible copy without solving any problem.

And for you sales majors, it's not just content that sells a product, packaging matters, too. Ask publishers on Amazon, a great cover will sell your book even if content sucks.

You're welcome grin
(What are you supposed to say? grin grin)
Okay, kiddo ! Off you go.

And FYI ! That forum nairaboard will continue to exist with that same design, the goal was to create a spin off of nairaland, your opinion won't count cheesy

1 Like

Re: Can Someone Please Explain Why Nairaland Is Not Getting Better by Goldmynemaniac: 9:42am On Jan 02, 2023
Bigajeff:

Yes I'm joking out of your blank page, You'll definitely see how funny Naijafans.com. will be, just wait for it. If you don't gerrit, forget about it.

YoungCabal:
Okay, kiddo ! Off you go.

And FYI ! That forum nairaboard will continue to exist with that same design, the goal was to create a spin off of nairaland, your opinion won't count cheesy

Guys don't be taking it personal. You can definitely do better.

I give you 'E' for effort but nothing more.
Re: Can Someone Please Explain Why Nairaland Is Not Getting Better by YoungCabal: 10:27am On Jan 02, 2023
Goldmynemaniac:

Guys don't be taking it personal. You can definitely do better.

I give you 'E' for effort but nothing more.
Lmao ! I built Nairaboard entirely from scratch myself. If you had created an account and explored some of the additional features added, you will know that I am capable of building something else entirely, the choice to keep it similar to nairaland was intentional, I didn't set out to build something completely different from what people were used to.

My goal was to create a forum that loads as fast as wikipedia and provides quality information for anyone searching from google. In the end, I can monetize the traffic or use it as a medium to promote my next line of apps

Rest and stop feeling like Mr. I too know, nobody searching for information on google checks the site design as long as he or she can read the content there, I'm even willing to sell the site script to anyone who needs it to create his or her own forum.

It's not a do or die for me, it was just a side project !

2 Likes

Re: Can Someone Please Explain Why Nairaland Is Not Getting Better by Goldmynemaniac: 10:56am On Jan 02, 2023
YoungCabal:
Lmao ! I built Nairaboard entirely from scratch myself. If you had created an account and explored some of the additional features added, you will know that I am capable of building something else entirely, the choice to keep it similar to nairaland was intentional, I didn't set out to build something completely different from what people were used to.

My goal was to create a forum that loads as fast as wikipedia and provides quality information for anyone searching from google. In the end, I can monetize the traffic or use it as a medium to promote my next line of apps

Rest and stop feeling like Mr. I too know, nobody searching for information on google checks the site design as long as he or she can read the content there, I'm even willing to sell the site script to anyone who needs it to create his or her own forum.

It's not a do or die for me, it was just a side project !
I truly would've loved to explore your site, but, I still, for the life of me, can't figure out what I need another Nairaland for.

But what do I know, I'm just a 'kiddo' after all.
Re: Can Someone Please Explain Why Nairaland Is Not Getting Better by YoungCabal: 11:00am On Jan 02, 2023
Goldmynemaniac:

I truly would've loved to explore your site, but, I still, for the life of me, can't figure out what I need another Nairaland for.

But what do I know, I'm just a 'kiddo' after all.
yeah! off you go kid, bye
Re: Can Someone Please Explain Why Nairaland Is Not Getting Better by Goldmynemaniac: 11:12am On Jan 02, 2023
bigajeff and youngCabal,

The same reason people are still on Nairaland, Facebook and all their old haunts is the same reason they won't migrate to any of its cheap copy.

Fact is they are tired of those old horses but for the content and memory accumulated on there over the years they would've left. Good luck attracting them with nothing other than the semblance of same things they're barely tolerating.
Re: Can Someone Please Explain Why Nairaland Is Not Getting Better by YoungCabal: 12:38pm On Jan 02, 2023
Goldmynemaniac:
bigajeff and youngCabal,

The same reason people are still on Nairaland, Facebook and all their old haunts is the same reason they won't migrate to any of its cheap copy.

Fact is they are tired of those old horses but for the content and memory accumulated on there over the years they would've left. Good luck attracting them with nothing other than the semblance of same things they're barely tolerating.

Your problem is that you lack the ability to comprehend things clearly.

I already specified that I wanted to build a forum that loads as fast as wikipedia to serve as a source of information to anyone in distress, anyone can just query it directly or discover it from google search, I never said I wanted it to be the next facebook where you and your family members can clutter it with personal pictures and stories that nobody will ever find useful.

You are really clueless in this, I will advice you swallow your pride and admit it. A lot of people discover nairaland from google, they get forced to register when it's finally time for them to inquire more about a topic they see and then end up engaging with other members or continue visiting the forum to source new content.

Rest, I have been in this game for a very longtime and I know more than you.
Re: Can Someone Please Explain Why Nairaland Is Not Getting Better by Bigajeff(m): 12:17am On Jan 03, 2023
YoungCabal:
Your problem is that you lack the ability to comprehend things clearly.

I already specified that I wanted to build a forum that loads as fast as wikipedia to serve as a source of information to anyone in distress, anyone can just query it directly or discover it from google search, I never said I wanted it to be the next facebook where you and your family members can clutter it with personal pictures and stories that nobody will ever find useful.

You are really clueless in this, I will advice you swallow your pride and admit it. A lot of people discover nairaland from google, they get forced to register when it's finally time for them to inquire more about a topic they see and then end up engaging with other members or continue visiting the forum to source new content.

Rest, I have been in this game for a very longtime and I know more than you.

Young Cabal ill advise you not to engage this guy Goldmynemaniac anymore because your tech IQ and motive is far beyond what he can comprehend. You owns him no explanations, his opinion can't stop or draw you back in anyway, just do you. If he did understand what goes into web tweaking alone not to talk of developing a website from scratch, he will atleast drop some respect emoji for the effort. Fire on @YoungCabal
Re: Can Someone Please Explain Why Nairaland Is Not Getting Better by YoungCabal: 7:36am On Jan 03, 2023
Bigajeff:

Young Cabal ill advise you not to engage this guy Goldmynemaniac anymore because your tech IQ and motive is far beyond what he can comprehend. You owns him no explanations, his opinion can't stop or draw you back in anyway, just do you. If he did understand what goes into web tweaking alone not to talk of developing a website from scratch, he will atleast drop some respect emoji for the effort. Fire on @YoungCabal
Don't mind him, he is just out to discredit people's work.
Re: Can Someone Please Explain Why Nairaland Is Not Getting Better by Goldmynemaniac: 9:05am On Jan 03, 2023
@ Bigajeff and YoungCabal,

A closed mind detests honest criticism. You'd rather I praised your below average, copy and paste work. Learn to use criticism to become better. Brands call for criticisms of their products, some even pay for it, because they know the value. Talking of beta tests for products and services and all other tests.

Enough of derailing. Please keep discussion focused on topic.
Re: Can Someone Please Explain Why Nairaland Is Not Getting Better by Bigajeff(m): 9:46am On Jan 03, 2023
Goldmynemaniac:
@ Bigajeff and YoungCabal,

A closed mind detests honest criticism. You'd rather I praised your below average, copy and paste work. Learn to use criticism to become better. Brands call for criticisms of their products, some even pay for it, because they know the value. Talking of beta tests for products and services and all other tests.

Enough of derailing. Please keep discussion focused on topic.
Criticism is not about downgrading people's effort or try to playing down on people's project. Criticism should highlight what to work on and should come with recommendations not just mere negative vibes. More importantly Criticism is accepted from someone that is an expert about the subject matter not just a thread starter.

As regards this subject matter, the main criticism should base on:

1. Mordern forum features comparison
2.Mordern User Interface
3. What's make this forums unique

Forget about popularity for now, talk about the above 1,2,3

1 Like

Re: Can Someone Please Explain Why Nairaland Is Not Getting Better by Odebayo4010(m): 9:48am On Jan 03, 2023
They were not upgraded to Normal Standard like other Site,as you can see the Nairaland background is outdated,they need to redesign the Site,and more so,they need to advance to New EMOJI

1 Like

Re: Can Someone Please Explain Why Nairaland Is Not Getting Better by YoungCabal: 10:47am On Jan 03, 2023
Bigajeff:

Criticism is not about downgrading people's effort or try to playing down on people's project. Criticism should highlight what to work on and should come with recommendations not just mere negative vibes. More importantly Criticism is accepted from someone that is an expert about the subject matter not just a thread starter.

As regards this subject matter, the main criticism should base on:

1. Mordern forum features comparison
2.Mordern User Interface
3. What's make this forums unique

Forget about popularity for now, talk about the above 1,2,3

The funny part is that he keeps calling the sites a nairaland copy and paste, meanwhile both naijafans and nairaboard distinguish themselves in terms of design and features.

Nairaboard for example uses dark mode and has a publisher program feature that let's users earn cash by responding to reply requests on their threads by other members, nairaboard even has a marketplace with an affiliate system where you can sell digital products or help others sell their products to earn commission. You can even block people on nairaboard from mentioning you and you have send a message request to PM anyone on the site, no need for emails

If he took time to go through the site, he would have known before jumping into conclusion. My method of building is even based on member suggestion, it's clearly stated here nairaboard.com/about-us
Re: Can Someone Please Explain Why Nairaland Is Not Getting Better by Goldmynemaniac: 11:24am On Jan 03, 2023
Bigajeff and YoungCabal...probably same person.

Please don't turn this thread to an avenue to market your blogs.

Thank you for your cooperation.

Signed: Thread Management

(1) (2) (Reply)

Code For Nigerian Map With Clickable Links On Each States On The Map / Please Help!!! Help This Newbie About Php Site / Webhostilla.com - Reliable Unlimited Website Hosting

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 67
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.