Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,626 members, 7,813,058 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 05:59 AM

One Third Of World Economy Expected To Be In Recession In 2023, Says IMF Chief - Foreign Affairs - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / One Third Of World Economy Expected To Be In Recession In 2023, Says IMF Chief (5754 Views)

UK PM: Boris Johnson Expected To Make Shocking Return / Over 400 Planes Of World Leaders, Dignitaries Landed In Glasgow For COP26(Pics) / India Enters First Recession In 73 Years (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

One Third Of World Economy Expected To Be In Recession In 2023, Says IMF Chief by iwaeda: 11:21am On Jan 03, 2023
This year is going to be tougher on the global economy than the one we have left behind, the International Monetary Fund's (IMF) chief Kristalina Georgieva has warned."

"Why? Because the three big economies, US, EU, China, are all slowing down simultaneously," she said in an interview that aired on CBS Sunday.

"We expect one third of the world economy to be in recession," she said, adding that even for countries that are not in recession: "It would feel like recession for hundreds of millions of people

While the US may end up avoiding a recession, the situation looks more bleak in Europe, which has been hit hard by the war in Ukraine, she said. "Half of the European Union will be in recession," Georgieva added.

The IMF currently projects global growth to be at 2.7% this year, slowing from 3.2% in 2022.

The deceleration in China will have a dire impact globally. The world's second largest economy weakened dramatically in 2022 because of its rigid zero-Covid policy, which left China out of sync with the rest of the world, disrupting supply chains and damaging the flow of trade and investment.

Chinese leader Xi Jinping said this weekend that he expected China's economy to have expanded by at least 4.4% last year, a figure much stronger than many economists had predicted but much lower than the 8.4% growth rate seen in 2021.

"For the first time in 40 years China's growth in 2022 is likely to be at or below global growth," Georgieva said. "Before Covid, China would deliver 34, 35, 40% of global growth. It is not doing it anymore," she said, adding that it is "quite a stressful" period for Asian economies.

"When I talk to Asian leaders, all of them start with this question, 'What is going to happen with China? Is China going to return to a higher level of growth?' " she said.

Beijing abandoned Covid restrictions in early December, and while its reopening may provide some much-needed relief to the global economy, the recovery is going to be erratic and painful.

China's haphazard reopening has unleashed a wave of Covid cases that have overwhelmed the health care system, dampening consumption and production in the process.

The next couple of months will "be tough for China, and the impact on Chinese growth would be negative," Georgieva said, adding that she expects the country to move gradually to a "higher level of economic performance, and finish the year better off than it is going to start the year."

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.cnn.com/cnn/2023/01/02/business/imf-china-global-economy-recession-intl-hnk/index.html

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: One Third Of World Economy Expected To Be In Recession In 2023, Says IMF Chief by Nbote(m): 11:29am On Jan 03, 2023
Brace yourselves Nigerians, we are in for one helluva ride this year especially with a new govt incoming

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: One Third Of World Economy Expected To Be In Recession In 2023, Says IMF Chief by zolajpower: 11:35am On Jan 03, 2023
Let's vote the right man for the job

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: One Third Of World Economy Expected To Be In Recession In 2023, Says IMF Chief by iwaeda: 1:34pm On Jan 03, 2023
zolajpower:

grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: One Third Of World Economy Expected To Be In Recession In 2023, Says IMF Chief by sreamsense: 2:27pm On Jan 03, 2023
zolajpower:
True! Vote for right man like Tinubu who has shown outsandng capability in economic management. Obi, is not expert at this area he is just good in contaner economy. China he will like to run to is having problem, so he can't provide any better solution

25 Likes 4 Shares

Re: One Third Of World Economy Expected To Be In Recession In 2023, Says IMF Chief by dexmond: 2:41pm On Jan 03, 2023
These evil people have started again. They have told us what they plan to do this year. People should start planning for layoffs. Once there is recession, its the working population that will suffer it most. This again reminds us of the need to go back to subsistence farming before they start implementing the WEF/Netherland madness.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: One Third Of World Economy Expected To Be In Recession In 2023, Says IMF Chief by iwaeda: 3:16pm On Jan 03, 2023
dexmond:
These evil people have started again. They have told us what they plan to do this year. People should start planning for layoffs. Once there is recession, its the working population that will suffer it most. This again reminds us of the need to go back to subsistence farming before they start implementing the WEF/Netherland madness.

Nlfpmod, let us remember Ghana in Prayer. grin tongue grin angry grin

1 Like

Re: One Third Of World Economy Expected To Be In Recession In 2023, Says IMF Chief by Buhari4sale: 3:17pm On Jan 03, 2023
Confirm.

That was why we bought Xmas chicken for 18k on Xmas day. Only fools wouldn't have known what is yet to come in the next two years
Re: One Third Of World Economy Expected To Be In Recession In 2023, Says IMF Chief by zolajpower: 7:45pm On Jan 03, 2023
sreamsense:

True! Vote for right man like Tinubu who has shown outsandng capability in economic management. Obi, is not expert at this area he is just good in contaner economy. China he will like to run to is having problem, so he can't provide any better solution
Tinupopoo u sey ? Capital NO ! rather not vote for another pharaoh. I'm a lagosian and I know what I see every day . Lagos has the highest number of tout in the world and no thanks to Tinubu.
As I am sending this message I'm in Senegal with my African American girlfriend for the holiday. What I see here makes me marvel that we are far from a better country.
Do you know when Senegalese night clubs open here ? 1.am bro
No abgero to worry u, no police to stop you and scare u if you don't give 50naira. No NEPA don carry light . A peaceful Muslim dominated society but live like a Christian nation . If not that my girlfriend loves me she prefers Ghana to Nigeria
Abeg , suffer don tire me . I don't want to caste my vote to another slave master for another 8years .

12 Likes 2 Shares

Re: One Third Of World Economy Expected To Be In Recession In 2023, Says IMF Chief by kenny714433(m): 8:21pm On Jan 03, 2023
Things will not get any better. The worst will even happen if we get another clueless president.

I was just reading this and thinking, what can African nation do to affect the rest of the world? We haven't developed to even create a single impact even as a continent. Sad.
Re: One Third Of World Economy Expected To Be In Recession In 2023, Says IMF Chief by iwaeda: 11:11pm On Jan 03, 2023
kenny714433:
Things will not get any better. The worst will even happen if we get another clueless president.

I was just reading this and thinking, what can African nation do to affect the rest of the world? We haven't developed to even create a single impact even as a continent. Sad.

Abi, clueless team too. grin grin
Re: One Third Of World Economy Expected To Be In Recession In 2023, Says IMF Chief by fredoooooo: 1:48am On Jan 04, 2023
Thanks to America and Europe plus Russia that decide Ukraine war

1 Like

Re: One Third Of World Economy Expected To Be In Recession In 2023, Says IMF Chief by DaddyGngeess(m): 1:48am On Jan 04, 2023
Nigeria has always been in recession so all this no mean anything to us again

3 Likes

Re: One Third Of World Economy Expected To Be In Recession In 2023, Says IMF Chief by Bimffo(m): 1:51am On Jan 04, 2023
It is better to be in recession in the UK or USA, than be in recession in Nigeria o.

Run away ooo. Don't wait for Blah Blah Blu to enter before you japa o.

Do you know how many news have hit the frontpage of Nairaland, of people that have been killed or kidnapped since the 1st of January 2023.

(Arson, stray bullet, accident, community leader killed, Dj sef die, etc etc.)

We are just in 4th of January oo.

Ah, this 2023 will be bloody. God go save us and our family o.

9 Likes 2 Shares

Re: One Third Of World Economy Expected To Be In Recession In 2023, Says IMF Chief by MyVILLAGEpeople(m): 1:51am On Jan 04, 2023
There is so much money and unprecedented wealth in this world that is more than enough for everyone on the face of the earth. These wealths are just in the hands of few elitists. Poverty is man made.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: One Third Of World Economy Expected To Be In Recession In 2023, Says IMF Chief by Dididrumz(m): 1:51am On Jan 04, 2023
Nigeria's own would be like X37 of what the rest of the world would experience if Tinubu or Atiku wins the coming election.

Dear God, please guide Peter Obi to victory and direct Him in everything He does as President of Nigeria.

2 Likes

Re: One Third Of World Economy Expected To Be In Recession In 2023, Says IMF Chief by tobenuel(m): 1:53am On Jan 04, 2023
By the Grace of God, Nigeria will not be among

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: One Third Of World Economy Expected To Be In Recession In 2023, Says IMF Chief by fasho01(m): 1:53am On Jan 04, 2023
IMF always foreseeing doom angry

2 Likes

Re: One Third Of World Economy Expected To Be In Recession In 2023, Says IMF Chief by Omoawoke: 1:53am On Jan 04, 2023
zolajpower:

Tinupopoo u sey ? Capital NO ! rather not vote for another pharaoh. I'm a lagosian and I know what I see every day . Lagos has the highest number of tout in the world and no thanks to Tinubu.
As I am sending this message I'm in Senegal with my African American girlfriend for the holiday. What I see here makes me marvel that we are far from a better country.
Do you know when Senegalese night clubs open here ? 1.am bro
No abgero to worry u, no police to stop you and scare u if you don't give 50naira. No NEPA don carry light . A peaceful Muslim dominated society but live like a Christian nation . If not that my girlfriend loves me she prefers Ghana to Nigeria
Abeg , suffer don tire me . I don't want to caste my vote to another slave master for another 8years .

Shut da fvk up. You go Senegal come dey trash Nigeria anyhow. Have u seen the whole of Senegal?
Maitama, WUse 2 or asokoro life in abuja is better than many of these west African countries.
You should shut your dirty mouth. You go to the best city in a country and begin to slam your own country. We no say Nigeria is not the best places doesnt mean it is the worst place on earth. Only foolish people like you go outside the country and talk bad about their country to foreigners.
Dakar in senegal was ranked among the worst cities
https://www.businessinsider.com/worst-cities-economist-intelligence-unit-2014-8#10-dakar-1

11 Likes 2 Shares

Re: One Third Of World Economy Expected To Be In Recession In 2023, Says IMF Chief by brain54(m): 1:58am On Jan 04, 2023
IMF always predicting doom and gloom…

If there is boom in world economy I guess there won’t be any country to give out their stupid loans.

Childofdoom come and see your people!

1 Like

Re: One Third Of World Economy Expected To Be In Recession In 2023, Says IMF Chief by Larryhoover(m): 1:59am On Jan 04, 2023
Honestly, I think this IMF should be deprecated as they are always harbinger of bad news. Oftentimes I see this their projections as mind games like fundamentals analysis to cause panic across the world to enrich some powerful countries and force the less advantaged into loans so that they can always be at their mercy.

I am not sure I have seen IMF said a year would be good for any underdeveloped or developing country. This is sickening and I think rather than sending panic across the world, why can’t they help the struggling nations on how to navigate the economy. Instead, they would always dangle loan at you so that you can be continuously indebted to them and they can now determine how your economy performs.

1 Like

Re: One Third Of World Economy Expected To Be In Recession In 2023, Says IMF Chief by NwaNimo1(m): 2:00am On Jan 04, 2023
Capitalism's consequences.....

1 Like

Re: One Third Of World Economy Expected To Be In Recession In 2023, Says IMF Chief by tunapawizzy: 2:01am On Jan 04, 2023
MyVILLAGEpeople:
There is so much money and unprecedentedwealth in this world that is more than enough for everyone on the face of the earth. These wealths are just in the hands of few elitists. Poverty is man made.
So so true
Re: One Third Of World Economy Expected To Be In Recession In 2023, Says IMF Chief by UselessBuharist: 2:06am On Jan 04, 2023
This means Nigeria is in for a deep soup
Re: One Third Of World Economy Expected To Be In Recession In 2023, Says IMF Chief by JoeNL22(m): 2:09am On Jan 04, 2023
Nawa.
This man below will take Nigeria out of recession.

Re: One Third Of World Economy Expected To Be In Recession In 2023, Says IMF Chief by simmydebadest(m): 2:11am On Jan 04, 2023
IMF just gave APC genuine excuse to loot everything before they take a bow
Re: One Third Of World Economy Expected To Be In Recession In 2023, Says IMF Chief by ATLIEN2027: 2:13am On Jan 04, 2023
sreamsense:

Aptly stated.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: One Third Of World Economy Expected To Be In Recession In 2023, Says IMF Chief by Thermodynamics(m): 2:16am On Jan 04, 2023
sreamsense:

After all the suffer APC don put you through you still de support them, assuming na Osibanjor win primaries for the APC and you de support Osibanjor I for even understand, instead na Buhari twin brother Tinubu na you de support.

I don't pity Nigerians like you, people like you like suffering.

3 Likes

Re: One Third Of World Economy Expected To Be In Recession In 2023, Says IMF Chief by SmartPolician: 2:35am On Jan 04, 2023
And people are planning to elect Buhari Pro Max

Suffer no dey tire una?
Re: One Third Of World Economy Expected To Be In Recession In 2023, Says IMF Chief by jimetagambo: 2:37am On Jan 04, 2023
Stale gists
Re: One Third Of World Economy Expected To Be In Recession In 2023, Says IMF Chief by Zeddyzed: 2:45am On Jan 04, 2023
I would like any finance expert to explain this to me like a 5 year old. In 2021, there seemed to be a lot of money in the world, stocks and crypto were all doing well. Now everything is doing badly, where did all the money go? In 2008, when there was a global recession, we could blame the collapse of the US housing market, what is wrong now? Why is there a shortage of money in the world right now?

3 Likes

(1) (2) (Reply)

Nigeria Vs South Africa / Power Outages To Worsen In Ghana As Nigeria Stops Gas Supply / Foreigners Will Be Barred From Owning Land In South Africa

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.