Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,162,925 members, 7,852,116 topics. Date: Thursday, 06 June 2024 at 12:52 PM

2023 Budget Is Hopeless - Ezekwesili - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / 2023 Budget Is Hopeless - Ezekwesili (7420 Views)

Sanwo-Olu To Borrow N350 Billion To Fund 2023 Budget / FG May Borrow N11Trillion For 2023 Budget As Deficit Rises Above 100% / "The Nigeria Air MUST FAIL" - Oby Ezekwesili (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 2023 Budget Is Hopeless - Ezekwesili by Dandollars311(m): 7:46am On Jan 05, 2023
[quote author=PUSSYHOE post=119717364]Jagaban of APC is coming to correct buhari of APC Mistakes so everybody shut up, idiots Nigerians and illiterates!!!!![/quote
What made you think the same party would do things differently this time?
You better wake up from this nightmare Obidiently

1 Like

Re: 2023 Budget Is Hopeless - Ezekwesili by Betashop: 7:50am On Jan 05, 2023
femisplash:

We're talking about budget performance here, not debt forgiveness. There's nothing best about an economic team that squandered $16b power funds and sold national assets at crap value.

I know you don’t understand how economics works and the modalities for your debt to be forgiven. While you worked in that, I mentioned NIPP projects. I work in the Power sector. Over 10 brand new power stations under the NIPP scheme was was established in 2004.

This is why I said, you don’t understand what it means to be a foundation for democracy...

Up till now, OBJ’s economic team is still the best Nigeria have got or assembled. The EFCC, ICPC and a host of them now use were part of his futuristic ideas

1 Like

Re: 2023 Budget Is Hopeless - Ezekwesili by MondayOsunbor(m): 7:59am On Jan 05, 2023
iwaeda:

https://punchng.com/2023-budget-hopeless-says-ezekwesili/

PVC IS NOT ENOUGH TO CHASE OUT APC FROM POWER

WHAT WE NEED NA GUNS!

2 Likes

Re: 2023 Budget Is Hopeless - Ezekwesili by MondayOsunbor(m): 8:01am On Jan 05, 2023
[quote author=Dandollars311 post=119725497][/quote]

people will collect money !

come online to talk nonsense!
Re: 2023 Budget Is Hopeless - Ezekwesili by femisplash: 8:15am On Jan 05, 2023
Betashop:

I know you don’t understand how economics works and the modalities for your debt to be forgiven. While you worked in that, I mentioned NIPP projects. I work in the Power sector. Over 10 brand new power stations under the NIPP scheme was was established in 2004.

This is why I said, you don’t understand what it means to be a foundation for democracy...

Up till now, OBJ’s economic team is still the best Nigeria have got or assembled. The EFCC, ICPC and a host of them now use were part of his futuristic ideas
Olodo, was that the reason we had epileptic power supply throughout his administration without no significant improvement after squandering $16b in their private pockets. A man that refused to heed to decentralization of power despite several calls, he would rather hijack IPP project done by Tinubu in Lagos and connect it to the national grid.
We could see how his EFCC dogs were unleashed on divergent voices, even against his own party folks and pocketed a supposedly independent agency for his personal greed. A super greedy man who converted a national project into a personal farm, he unconstitutionally armtwisted individuals, ministries and parastatals to donate personal and federal resources in building a Library in his hometown.
Mention one thing OBJ's budget achieved in 8 years or get out.
Re: 2023 Budget Is Hopeless - Ezekwesili by Mycometp3(m): 8:29am On Jan 05, 2023
You b ode...oponu..elebi...like say ur papa get shares for apc
PUSSYHOE:
Jagaban of APC is coming to correct buhari of APC Mistakes so everybody shut up, idiots Nigerians and illiterates!!!!!
Re: 2023 Budget Is Hopeless - Ezekwesili by bhella10: 8:41am On Jan 05, 2023
Mycometp3:
You b ode...oponu..elebi...like say ur papa get shares for apc

Re: 2023 Budget Is Hopeless - Ezekwesili by lilalex(m): 8:45am On Jan 05, 2023
femisplash:

She was in OBJ cabinet, tell us one thing their budget achieved in 8 years?, just one thing.. I don't have the time for dumb people.
Funny enough you are the dumb one here so just shut up.

1 Like

Re: 2023 Budget Is Hopeless - Ezekwesili by Nobody: 9:11am On Jan 05, 2023
grin grin grin

Re: 2023 Budget Is Hopeless - Ezekwesili by iwaeda: 9:15am On Jan 05, 2023
BBOG were so much against GEJ, brought Mr. Disaster Buhari, that has sunk Nigeria. grin grin grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: 2023 Budget Is Hopeless - Ezekwesili by IbeOkehie: 9:17am On Jan 05, 2023
delete
Re: 2023 Budget Is Hopeless - Ezekwesili by IbeOkehie: 9:20am On Jan 05, 2023
femisplash:

Olodo, was that the reason we had epileptic power supply throughout his administration without no significant improvement after squandering $16b in their private pockets. A man that refused to heed to decentralization

When Obasanjo took office Nigeria was a cement importer. Most cement manufacturers were government owned.

OBJ's administration wrote the law that sold off all the government owned cement companies. I think that was in 2005. For example, CCNN was sold to BUA, Benue Cement was bought by Dangote Industries.

Today Nigeria is self sufficient in cement and even exports the product.

It was President Yaradua that messed up the electricity sector. The real problem there is TCN.

Thanks.
Re: 2023 Budget Is Hopeless - Ezekwesili by donmik: 9:20am On Jan 05, 2023
PUSSYHOE:
Jagaban of APC is coming to correct buhari of APC Mistakes so everybody shut up, idiots Nigerians and illiterates!!!!!
You don't seem to understand what this post is saying o

2 Likes

Re: 2023 Budget Is Hopeless - Ezekwesili by IbeOkehie: 9:32am On Jan 05, 2023
femisplash:

We're talking about budget performance here, not debt forgiveness. There's nothing best about an economic team that squandered $16b power funds and sold national assets at scrap value.

I believe the $16 billion electricity story is an exaggeration. Again, the real problem is TCN.

Benue Cement and CCNN were government owned and non productive, just like the NNPC refineries. No matter the price, they're productive today and are now a net credit to the economy.

Thanks.
Re: 2023 Budget Is Hopeless - Ezekwesili by femisplash: 9:40am On Jan 05, 2023
IbeOkehie:

When Obasanjo took office Nigeria was a cement importer. Most cement manufacturers were government owned.

OBJ's administration wrote the law that sold off all the government owned cement companies. I think that was in 2005. For example, CCNN was sold to BUA, Benue Cement was bought by Dangote Industries.

Today Nigeria is self sufficient in cement and even exports the product.

It was President Yaradua that messed up the electricity sector. The real problem there is TCN.

Thanks.

You are getting it wrong, we have always had foreign cements coming in very cheap to complement demands. OBJ reduced cement industry to monopoly by a handful capitalists thereby skyrocketing local prices of cement & killing healthy competition rather than a liberalized industry. Moreover, Yar'Adua didn't mess up electricity sector, what he did wrong was reversing the sale of our refineries which would have helped solve petrol scarcity & subsidy scam.
Re: 2023 Budget Is Hopeless - Ezekwesili by Betashop: 9:51am On Jan 05, 2023
femisplash:

Olodo, was that the reason we had epileptic power supply throughout his administration without no significant improvement after squandering $16b in their private pockets. A man that refused to heed to decentralization of power despite several calls, he would rather hijack IPP project done by Tinubu in Lagos and connect it to the national grid.
We could see how his EFCC dogs were unleashed on divergent voices, even against his own party folks and pocketed a supposedly independent agency for his personal greed. A super greedy man who converted a national project into a personal farm, he unconstitutionally armtwisted individuals, ministries and parastatals to donate personal and federal resources in building a Library in his hometown.

Lagos you mentioned with the highest IGR is owing close to 1tr... So, why is there still epileptic power supply during this administration? The numbers of grid collapse in this administration hasn’t been heard in the history of this country.

Like I said previously, OBJ was the foundation upon which other president are building on, so, I don’t expect too much in terms of infrastructure, rather in foundation, which he did to a reasonable extent. Over 16yrs now, nothing has improved and you still call OBJ

PMB met a debt around 20tr or thereabout for 16yrs and within 8yrs, we’re already looking at almost 80tr with almost nothing to show for and you’re hear calling OBJ who has done and still doing his part for the nation

In this administration, the accountant general alone pocketed over 110B... Can you imagine!

We deserve better...

1 Like

Re: 2023 Budget Is Hopeless - Ezekwesili by IbeOkehie: 9:59am On Jan 05, 2023
femisplash:

You are get it wrong, we had always had foreign cements coming in very cheap to complement demands. OBJ reduced cement industry to monopoly by a handful capitalist thereby skyrocketing local prices of cement & killing healthy competitionrather than a liberalized industry. Moreover, Yar'Adua didn't mess up electricity sector, what he did wrong was reversing the sale of our refineries which would have helped solve petrol scarcity & subsidy scam.

When telecoms was privatized and MTN came to Nigeria it was a monopoly.

When airlines were privatized and Arik came on, it was a monopoly.

When Dangote started in cement after privatization, critics claimed it was a monopoly. It just magically happens that BUA entered the industry AFTER Dangote, introducing competition. Same thing happened in telecoms, broadcasting, banking.

What monopoly? Nigerians would do well to CELEBRATE the little privatization done under PDP, without it Nigeria would be a dead zone.

Your complaints about cement prices are not valid. First, expensive cement is better than SCARCITY of cement. Just like scarcity occurs with government controlled petrol and university education today, Nigeria used to have periodic scarcity of cement. Also lots of corruption, Google the Nigeria Cement Armada scandals under President Shagari and I think Gowon.

Cement prices have been coming DOWN in real terms, though Nigeria does have very high prices compared to the rest of the world.

There's a lot to criticize in Nigeria. Cement industry is one area where some good was achieved and yes it could be improved. First thing to do would be to lift he ban on imports.

In fact ALL import restrictions in every sector should be removed because they result in high prices. Then the naira should be floated, which will encourage local producers.

I hate when leaders are unjustly maligned. Let's always be fair.
Re: 2023 Budget Is Hopeless - Ezekwesili by IbeOkehie: 10:06am On Jan 05, 2023
MondayOsunbor:

PVC IS NOT ENOUGH TO CHASE OUT APC FROM POWER

WHAT WE NEED NA GUNS!

Yeah that's funny but not funny. grin

I think APC is going to win the Presidency. I just have a feeling they can't let go.
Re: 2023 Budget Is Hopeless - Ezekwesili by Ddokie: 10:31am On Jan 05, 2023
femisplash:

We're talking about budget performance here, not debt forgiveness. There's nothing best about an economic team that squandered $16b power funds and sold national assets at scrap value.

Kindly provide a link to a reliable source that OBJ squandered 16b$.

Let it not be that you heard it from the joint you go to get high and started running with it.

1 Like

Re: 2023 Budget Is Hopeless - Ezekwesili by DaveHarry(m): 11:08am On Jan 05, 2023
jmoore:
2023 Budget of 21.8 trillion naira. 30% of it (6.6 trillion naira) will be used to service debt.
APC/Buhari has finished this country!!

USA spend between 4 and 5 % of their national budget to service debt.

While Nigeria will spend about 30% of the national budget to service debt in 2023.

A poor country spending 30% to service debt VS a rich country spending 4.5% to service debt.
See why I'm not even sure of Nigeria's progression in next 100 years? Bad government!
Re: 2023 Budget Is Hopeless - Ezekwesili by Chetas81(m): 11:54am On Jan 05, 2023
FEMI gbaja supposed be in the prison not representative leader
Re: 2023 Budget Is Hopeless - Ezekwesili by IbeOkehie: 12:04pm On Jan 05, 2023
DaveHarry:

See why I'm not even sure of Nigeria's progression in next 100 years? Bad government!

The PEOPLE choose the government. Goverments make policy that their voters want. This is democracy.

One of the most harmful economic policies in Nigeria is FUEL SUBSIDIES that keep fuel prices low.

The present APC government campaigned in 2015 on a promise to keep fuel prices low. Buhari & Tinubu even claimed the fuel subsidy didn't exist. And Nigerians believed them shocked

Nigerians got exactly what they voted for. It's about common sense. Vote well.
Re: 2023 Budget Is Hopeless - Ezekwesili by stepaside2: 1:47pm On Jan 05, 2023
I think beyond the emotions of labeling the budget as 'hopeless' and dwelling on the deficit side of it (tragic I accept), madam Oby could have advanced more reasonable arguments against it.

The options that guarantee little to no budget deficit is to (singly or in combination);

1. Cut recurrent expenditure by half (sack workers and don't increase salaries). You can get some mileage here but by how much and look at the effect on unemployment?

2. Remove subsidies and reduce deficit by N6trn. This leads immediately to increase in fuel prices to be borne by Nigerians

3. Increase revenues through blocking loopholes and extending tax net to cover our largely informal sector.

Number 3 appeals to me but that will take time. The few that pay taxes are now taxed even more thereby disincentivizing them. The agricultural, Trade and ICT sectors contribute more than half of our GDP but those sectors are largely informal and contribute little to taxes.

So madam Oby should choose among very difficult options as there is no silver bullet to this budget deficit problem.

1 Like

Re: 2023 Budget Is Hopeless - Ezekwesili by orisa37: 4:15pm On Jan 05, 2023
BUHARI DOESN'T KNOW WHAT IS BUDGET AND BUDGETARY CONTROL.
Re: 2023 Budget Is Hopeless - Ezekwesili by CLRF: 9:29pm On Jan 05, 2023
Hamza Al-Mustapha is the first person to identify the budget as budget of hopeless for a leader who does not know how to generate wealth.

We are not talking about fat IGR
Re: 2023 Budget Is Hopeless - Ezekwesili by nkemjacob2(m): 1:00am On Jan 06, 2023
Na people na wan still vote APC .
suffer no dey tire una
Re: 2023 Budget Is Hopeless - Ezekwesili by balarabe01(m): 2:39am On Jan 06, 2023
Wailing continues..... cool go learn crypto trading you say no.
Re: 2023 Budget Is Hopeless - Ezekwesili by johannu(m): 4:04am On Jan 06, 2023
iwaeda:

https://punchng.com/2023-budget-hopeless-says-ezekwesili/

The government you elect is the government you deserve. If it doesn't serve you right, it serves you right.
Re: 2023 Budget Is Hopeless - Ezekwesili by orisa37: 5:56am On Jan 06, 2023
It's mere ESTIMATE NOT BUDGET.
It's THIEVERY NOT TRUSTWORTHY EXERCISE.
Re: 2023 Budget Is Hopeless - Ezekwesili by CheapHomes1: 8:14am On Jan 17, 2023
femisplash:

Pls explain what you mean by "budget performance".
Re: 2023 Budget Is Hopeless - Ezekwesili by CheapHomes1: 8:16am On Jan 17, 2023
stepaside2:
I think beyond the emotions of labeling the budget as 'hopeless' and dwelling on the deficit side of it (tragic I accept), madam Oby could have advanced more reasonable arguments against it.

The options that guarantee little to no budget deficit is to (singly or in combination);

1. Cut recurrent expenditure by half (sack workers and don't increase salaries). You can get some mileage here but by how much and look at the effect on unemployment?

2. Remove subsidies and reduce deficit by N6trn. This leads immediately to increase in fuel prices to be borne by Nigerians

3. Increase revenues through blocking loopholes and extending tax net to cover our largely informal sector.

Number 3 appeals to me but that will take time. The few that pay taxes are now taxed even more thereby disincentivizing them. The agricultural, Trade and ICT sectors contribute more than half of our GDP but those sectors are largely informal and contribute little to taxes.

So madam Oby should choose among very difficult options as there is no silver bullet to this budget deficit problem.

Budget has been signed into law. Which lecture are you now giving? Is there anything she can do to change the budget?

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

They Wan Assasinate Oshiomole / Fg Begins Payment Of N65,000 Monthly Allowance To Ex-militants / House Of Reps Summons CBN, NNPC, Others

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 65
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.