Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,822 members, 7,810,159 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 10:04 PM

Best City To Raise A Family In Nigeria - Family (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Best City To Raise A Family In Nigeria (25738 Views)

Photos Of The Girl With Half-body At Home With Her Family In Kano / Is It Possible To Raise A Child Without Beating / Unmarried Mothers To Be Fined In Chinese City To Cut Size Of Population (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Best City To Raise A Family In Nigeria by desertboom(m): 12:11pm On Sep 04, 2011
Why can't I see Portharcourt?
Re: Best City To Raise A Family In Nigeria by Andrew3(m): 12:11pm On Sep 04, 2011
lmaoooooooooooooo grin
Re: Best City To Raise A Family In Nigeria by soulamanne(m): 12:13pm On Sep 04, 2011
i would suggest ilorin or ibadan, for someone like me that has spent all my life in lag xcept school in ife and my serv yr in ben na ghost.ve been to these two cities esp ilorin i think that place is lovely.am really considerin it.with the airport waitin to go full force,one can work in lag or abj or ph and ve family thr.trry ilorin[color=#000099][/color]
Re: Best City To Raise A Family In Nigeria by tunnytox(m): 12:16pm On Sep 04, 2011
tEsLim:

Lagos outskirts and GRA's. You dont want you kid's growing up and talking with oyo/ibadan ara oke accents. Or an Aboki accent. I guess Lagosians and MIddle Belt are the least accented people. Well it depends on pocket settle where you can afford. SIMPLE. And while they are growing the can have a taste of different cultures and overall exposure

OMG! What is wrong with speaking in Ibadan accent? I was born and bred in Ibadan though from Ogbomosho, I speak in proper undiluted Ibadan accent and I'm very proud of it.

1 Like

Re: Best City To Raise A Family In Nigeria by Afam4eva(m): 12:24pm On Sep 04, 2011
@tunnytox
Don't mind tEslim.It's the slave mentality in Nigerians that is working. I wonder what is wrong in someone speaking in Ibadan, Igbo or Hausa accent.
Re: Best City To Raise A Family In Nigeria by tEsLim(m): 1:30pm On Sep 04, 2011
I dont like the villager-like accents SIMPLE! I'm a proud Lagosian though (EPE, LGA)
Re: Best City To Raise A Family In Nigeria by teemon: 1:40pm On Sep 04, 2011
I dreamt Nigeria won!
Re: Best City To Raise A Family In Nigeria by Pafuri(m): 2:00pm On Sep 04, 2011
@tEsLim:
I believe it all depends on your definition of "village". If Ibadan and Ilorin are villages, I guess Epe will be considered a hamlet.
Of course you will say it is your opinion and you have a right to hold it. Well, I respect that.

1 Like

Re: Best City To Raise A Family In Nigeria by Dsage1: 2:20pm On Sep 04, 2011
@tEslim,u're simply not serious,so speaking in ibadan etc accent means u're not expose?A sensible being who resided in Lagos wi kno dat we're only expose to immorality like i said in my 1st post.I shared d same view wit pple b4 but wen i visit some of dis state,i discova dat som ar betta dan lagosian in term of exposure to real aspect of life, as long as dey were educated,having acess to internet,cable TV etc.I admit dat Lagos is lively but dont condem oda'state to dat extent.
Re: Best City To Raise A Family In Nigeria by audujosh(m): 2:22pm On Sep 04, 2011
Kaduna is the best; low cost of living, superb security network and one of the best schools in the country.
Re: Best City To Raise A Family In Nigeria by tunnytox(m): 2:26pm On Sep 04, 2011
tEsLim:

I dont like the villager-like accents SIMPLE! I'm a proud Lagosian though (EPE, LGA)

Villager's like accent? I wonder where you got that from Lagos accent is not in any way superior to Ibadan's accent or any other accent whatsoever it's just what the media and Nollywood makes you to believe. BTW the type of Yoruba language and accent we speak in Oyo, Ogbomosho and Ibadan axis is the proper Yoruba language not the one in Lagos which has been watered down.
Re: Best City To Raise A Family In Nigeria by chino11(m): 2:29pm On Sep 04, 2011
The best places to raise peaceful gently family: Awka, Enugu, Calabar, Abuja, Lagos (V/I, Banana Isl, and some parts of Ikoyi)
Re: Best City To Raise A Family In Nigeria by God2man(m): 2:37pm On Sep 04, 2011
Ilorin is the best in every aspect. Very peaceful. I was there for almost three weeks, there was no traffic jam, food is cheaper. You will enjoy the place even if your salary is in the average level. The only problem is that, raising up kids is not only about the city aspect but it will also require discipline.  Parent have to show good example to their children, it has a great influence on the kids. God bless you. God2man.
Re: Best City To Raise A Family In Nigeria by publisher(m): 2:41pm On Sep 04, 2011
IBADAN is your best bet o. As a non yoruba,i was posted to IB for my nysc and i ended up staying there for three additional years. There are many affordable private schools in Ibadan,and the standard of education is very high. Food is relatively cheap (if you have a good job that pays Lagos standard salaries). There are lots of joints,clubs and recreational facilities. My favourite used to be 'sade eleja' at Mokola area. Dugbe and ring road areas are very commercial in nature. Old Bodija,New Bodija,Bashorun and even parts of Bere Oje have very nice residential areas. One thing that really tripped me about Ibadan was that unlike many old and even younger Yorubas i know in Lagos,IBADAN YORUBAS ARE VERY VERY VERY DETRIBALIZED. If you get into a public argument with an Ibadan indigene,other Ibadan people will usually rally around you,the non indigene(i experienced it twice). Also Ibadan Landlords dont discriminate on who they rent house to unlike what obtains in Lagos sometimes where some landlords ask for the ethnic group of an aspiring tenant before they decide to rent out their apartment.  I recommend Ibadan.

I would have recommended Jos,i've been there once and believe me its a magical city,except for the security concerns. However,a Jos resident once explained to me that if in Lagos there are constant battles and murders between area boys in Mushin,Agegunle and Okoko,does that mean the whole of Lagos is unsafe? In other words,most parts of Jos is peaceful but the flash points are thoroughly elevated by the local and international media.

2 Likes

Re: Best City To Raise A Family In Nigeria by Anvaller: 2:50pm On Sep 04, 2011
Teslim must be so local to his hood. U think flimsy things like accents really matter in life?

Okay for your information, the very very typical lagos accent sounds so gutter to me just like the gutter american accent from the projects but if Lagosians are proud of the same accent so why should they look down on an Ogbomosho or Ibadan accent.

Someone like you must be an uncivilized local Lagos champion
Re: Best City To Raise A Family In Nigeria by amblors(m): 3:34pm On Sep 04, 2011
desertboom:

Why can't I see Portharcourt?

lol, PH with abduction etc?
you can actually raise your kids there if you're living in the highbrow areas.
you can raise em in the hood too if you restrict them to your house.
Re: Best City To Raise A Family In Nigeria by vasa: 3:41pm On Sep 04, 2011
right question at wrong time, imo i think the best place for you is your village
right now nigeria is on transitional period its difficult to suggest to you op
Re: Best City To Raise A Family In Nigeria by Kizopumpin(m): 3:45pm On Sep 04, 2011
As far as I am concerned, Ibadan is the right place, I was born and bred in Lagos but i relocated to IB after my University education and i got stuck here in IB because it is good. my kid school standard of education is far better and cheaper than the one she was attending back in Lagos before my family joined me here. Food is cheap, environment is cool compare to Lagos or wherever.
Re: Best City To Raise A Family In Nigeria by mkyusuf: 4:17pm On Sep 04, 2011
Oshogbo is the best
Very peacefull and quite
its central within kwara ,ibadan, lagos
with good schools all around.
Re: Best City To Raise A Family In Nigeria by geogentle: 4:20pm On Sep 04, 2011
I think Ilorin is the best city to raise a family in Nigeria. Its neat, very peaceful, the people are loving and accommodating. There is no crazy traffic. Kids wake up at 7am and are not late for school (school starts at 8am). You have enough time in the morning to enjoy breakfast with your family and also back on time to enjoy dinner with them. You have decent houses/apartments (very spacious ones) at a very affordable price/rent. Which educational level is not well represented in Ilorin? Primary schools, secondary, tertiary (uni, poly, school of nursing, CoEd, name it are all there with good standard and very affordable as well. The ladies are still relatively decent. Life is good in Ilorin and other smaller cities in Kwars State.
Re: Best City To Raise A Family In Nigeria by ocelot2006(m): 4:25pm On Sep 04, 2011
Two cities

CALABAR: great city, very neat and lovely, has a number of very good schools, recreational centers. Definitely a town you'd want to raise your kid in.

UYO: excellent civil infrastructures, few traffic jams, easy access to abuja and LAGOS via air, good recreational centers e.g silverbird cinemas and fastfood eateries, has a number of very good schools.
Re: Best City To Raise A Family In Nigeria by lee007(m): 4:35pm On Sep 04, 2011
Ilorin, U wont regret it!
Re: Best City To Raise A Family In Nigeria by Afam4eva(m): 4:53pm On Sep 04, 2011
Everyone is just advertising their home town.
Re: Best City To Raise A Family In Nigeria by zeal500: 4:58pm On Sep 04, 2011
Enugu
Enugu
Enugu
Re: Best City To Raise A Family In Nigeria by WebSurfer(m): 4:59pm On Sep 04, 2011
make all of una go luk bushhhhhhhhhhhhh
Re: Best City To Raise A Family In Nigeria by kabukabu50(m): 5:04pm On Sep 04, 2011
I'd say for now, None grin.

not even Lagos.

Most of the cities can't boast of modern child recreation centres that are not dilpidated or in shambles.There are one or two semi decent animal reserves in the entire nation,no waterparks,no modern amusement parks, Back in the day,Apapa was ok,but now its in ruins.There is just not that much to offer in nigeria for kids recreational activities,especially in variety.

The schools are sub-par,they don't offer out of classroom experiences that kids need to stimulate their interest,not to mention the strikes,labor disputes every other month.

Unless you are raising the next internet bandit or pyramid scheme goon,I would definitely not recommend any of the cities.
Re: Best City To Raise A Family In Nigeria by amblors(m): 5:07pm On Sep 04, 2011
^^^
Recreational activities? lmao.

So you can't raise a child without that?

Private schools are unaffected by strikes.
Re: Best City To Raise A Family In Nigeria by ZugoZugo: 5:46pm On Sep 04, 2011
In my opinion, i would suggest Abuja, Jos (but you have to be careful in selecting location. Some places are prone to crisis while some area will never experience even a bit of it) and finally Enugu.

All the best in choosing.
Re: Best City To Raise A Family In Nigeria by htajz: 6:13pm On Sep 04, 2011
enugu and owerri so far are very peaceful, neat and organised.
Re: Best City To Raise A Family In Nigeria by Ngodigha: 7:12pm On Sep 04, 2011
Igbo-Uzo
Asaba
Ogwashi Ukwu.
Re: Best City To Raise A Family In Nigeria by innason(m): 7:39pm On Sep 04, 2011
lagos i bet
Re: Best City To Raise A Family In Nigeria by Pafuri(m): 7:45pm On Sep 04, 2011
So, where is tEsLim from Lagos Island via Epe?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Black Snake In My WC / No Family Planning, No Sex / "Disrespect My Mum I Divorce You" .too Harsh?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.