Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,134 members, 7,953,497 topics. Date: Thursday, 19 September 2024 at 05:31 PM

Best City To Raise A Family In Nigeria - Family (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Best City To Raise A Family In Nigeria (26026 Views)

Photos Of The Girl With Half-body At Home With Her Family In Kano / Is It Possible To Raise A Child Without Beating / Unmarried Mothers To Be Fined In Chinese City To Cut Size Of Population (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Best City To Raise A Family In Nigeria by tunnytox(m): 12:21pm On Sep 06, 2011
You might not have met them but there are some Yoruba kids in Lagos who cannot speak Yoruba because their parents speak English to them while they are also not allowed to speak Yoruba in school. To make matter worse many of these kids usually stay at home and could not mingle with other kids because their parents work all day leaving them with a house help.
Re: Best City To Raise A Family In Nigeria by Ogenwannem(f): 1:35pm On Aug 22, 2012
Onitsha is very good. u don't need to start teaching ur child to be sharp businesswise cos he must grow with that idea

1 Like

Re: Best City To Raise A Family In Nigeria by Nobody: 2:43pm On Oct 27, 2012
publisher: IBADAN is your best bet o. As a non yoruba,i was posted to IB for my nysc and i ended up staying there for three additional years. There are many affordable private schools in Ibadan,and the standard of education is very high. Food is relatively cheap (if you have a good job that pays Lagos standard salaries). There are lots of joints,clubs and recreational facilities. My favourite used to be 'sade eleja' at Mokola area. Dugbe and ring road areas are very commercial in nature. Old Bodija,New Bodija,Bashorun and even parts of Bere Oje have very nice residential areas. One thing that really tripped me about Ibadan was that unlike many old and even younger Yorubas i know in Lagos,IBADAN YORUBAS ARE VERY VERY VERY DETRIBALIZED. If you get into a public argument with an Ibadan indigene,other Ibadan people will usually rally around you,the non indigene(i experienced it twice). Also Ibadan Landlords dont discriminate on who they rent house to unlike what obtains in Lagos sometimes where some landlords ask for the ethnic group of an aspiring tenant before they decide to rent out their apartment.  I recommend Ibadan.

I would have recommended Jos,i've been there once and believe me its a magical city,except for the security concerns. However,a Jos resident once explained to me that if in Lagos there are constant battles and murders between area boys in Mushin,Agegunle and Okoko,does that mean the whole of Lagos is unsafe? In other words,most parts of Jos is peaceful but the flash points are thoroughly elevated by the local and international media.

Go there for updates...
the people are friendly, Ibadan has a very vibrant university community..the zoo garden is awesome...there is a Catholic Church very close to P.I Hostel...(not SS Peter and Paul ) that is serene, solemn and simply beautiful, I attended mass a lot there just cos of the peacefulness
I like Ibadan, a lot
I am Igbo btw....

Just talking about Ibadan...other nice places are Calabar, Enugu, Jos and yes, Maiduguri before the nonsense in both places...(served in Maid, and went to J town a lot then)...Abuja for the well off
Lagos is rough, but mehn......there is this confidence, uniqueness of character and dressing that I see in Lagos residents that is simply cool
Re: Best City To Raise A Family In Nigeria by Nobody: 3:01pm On Oct 27, 2012
I would love my child to mix up with all kinds of people, and not be influenced negatively by these relationships
Shielding a child by keeping them away from the "poor and uneducated" is ultimately detrimental...cos life's lessons come from every corner of the world
Growing up in a very average home, I mixed up with every type...(thanks to my parents)..and today, I am better off for it....as I empathise with all

And btw, I think bad eggs are seen at either end of the class spectrum, so I think it uncool that people would talk about keeping your child away from slum ares/people as though they were the only ones that have bad people

As for the people talking about accents....no words, but- oyibo people all have accents and identify people based on their accents...eg twang of the mid west USA, Texas, Southern drawl,etc...pls let us not think having an accent defines us negatively...accents are not bad things
IMO
Re: Best City To Raise A Family In Nigeria by Azukaemyahooc: 1:51pm On Nov 21, 2012
Yenagoa still remain the best place , forget about the flood issue .
Re: Best City To Raise A Family In Nigeria by AwodwaGyanOniwe: 12:04pm On Apr 30, 2013
POVERTY IN SOUTH AFRICA.
Less than 5% of our population. By 2030 SA will have the highest NEW MIDDLE CLASS in AFRICA. HDI index will be the highest in Africa.

http://www.scribd.com/doc/138243911/Extreme-poverty
Re: Best City To Raise A Family In Nigeria by badnature: 7:19am On May 01, 2013
at boko haram strong hole in maiduguri ;Dat boko haram strong hole in maiduguri
Re: Best City To Raise A Family In Nigeria by lexy4me(m): 6:58pm On May 02, 2013
We all to a great extent understand and have experienced in one form or the other, the consequences of ineffective governing and management of our resources, this has led to severe outcomes as many families live in abject poverty, poor assessibility to the basic neccesities of life, power and water!!!!!of outmost import is the issue of POWER(electricity)......However, hardworking and innovative entreprenuers has made it a priority to resolve this long issue!!!! Welcome to the Generation of Inverters and solar electricity........REHOBOTH idealtec LTD is a company with the sole aim and passion for resolution of power issues....your family needs not bother about PHCN anymore, nor GENERATORS!!!!!!its for real!!!!! Simply install and enjoy constant power supply!!! We offer various installation packages for both Home and Industrial purpose!!! And for the month of may, WE are glad to announce our Light Up Nigeria PROMO......offering 20% DISCOUNT on all our packages........at our branches in Lagos, Abuja, Portharcourt and other Parts of the Federation.... For more inquiries Call: 08037969051;07045798908;07045196538;07045196536. ....Offers Lasts Till the 31st of May....
Re: Best City To Raise A Family In Nigeria by omopreciou: 1:25pm On May 28, 2013
I have gone through all the submission and want to conclude that the best cities to raise children are the following: Ibadan -> Ilorin -> Abeokuta -> Jos -> Kaduna -> Enugu -> Lagos -> Abuja not in any specific order but I think many people prefer Ibadan.

2 Likes

Re: Best City To Raise A Family In Nigeria by Centurion04: 6:06am On May 02, 2016
Try Uyo... A very cool place to raise a family. Good schools, good roads, very low crime rate, low cultism rate .

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

I Don't Want To Live A Normal Lifestyle: Study, Work, Marry, Have Children..etc / Updated: My Pre-wedding Photos Before Editing / Should Your Man Tell You He Cheated?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 25
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.