Stats: 3,151,407 members, 7,812,202 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 09:58 AM

Java Vs PHP: Which Has The Brightest Future? - Programming - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / Java Vs PHP: Which Has The Brightest Future? (41773 Views)

Java Vs C# Which Do You Prefer? / Java Vs Oracle Dba: Which Is More Profitable? / Java Vs C Sharp (2) (3) (4)

Java Vs PHP: Which Has The Brightest Future? by Danyl(m): 8:27pm On Sep 04, 2011
hello house i've been seeing so many advancements in PHP in the way people are using it be it e-commerce shopping cart systems, web authoring, web components developments but much has not really been seen from the java world as related to web components development which one of this server side programming languages really have the brightest future.
Re: Java Vs PHP: Which Has The Brightest Future? by Thatdave(m): 6:41pm On Sep 05, 2011
php is hundred percent server side, except for ajax and whatever. . .x children of java, java(script) is client side. Java never competed with php in internet applications. They have their seperate roles.

PHP's longtime competitor was ASP . But not any more. PHP has smashed microsoft product on the walls in recent years.

Php has lots of tutorials, i mean lots and lots. Lots of applications and lots of things you can do with it! But unfortunately you cannot develop windows app with it. Its nearest brother to the rescue cpp. Almost exact in syntax.
Finally bro, php and everything about kicking off with it is free.

Unfortunately i cant tell you anything about java because i dont code jaaaavaaaa!
Re: Java Vs PHP: Which Has The Brightest Future? by Fayimora(m): 11:41pm On Sep 05, 2011
Well comparing Java with PHP is kinda rather ridiculous like you said. If you then boil down to JSP/JSF then they are still different things! For you to use JSP/JSF you need a container while with php you dont. To be very honest, I think JSP/JSF is more advanced that PHP. Dont ask why, you would understand when you use both of them. However, people tend to use PHP more often because its free and easier to setup.
Re: Java Vs PHP: Which Has The Brightest Future? by cocoon(m): 12:06am On Sep 06, 2011
Thatdave:

PHP's longtime competitor was ASP . But not any more. PHP has smashed microsoft product on the walls in recent years.

Really? Have u heard of asp.net ?

Have u heard of
1. WPF
2. WCF or WCF RIA
3. WF
4. Entity Framework / NHibernate /ActiveRecord / Ado.net /Microsoft Enterprise Library 5
5. Silverlight / Microsoft Enterprise Library For Silverlight
6. LightSwitch
8. CLSA Framework / Prism 4
9. Dependency Injection /Ninjet /Castle Winsor/Unity Framework
10. Asp.net MVC 3
11 .LINQ
12 .PLINQ
Re: Java Vs PHP: Which Has The Brightest Future? by Bassie(m): 8:54am On Sep 06, 2011
@Op
Both
Re: Java Vs PHP: Which Has The Brightest Future? by blacksta(m): 9:36am On Sep 06, 2011
Can anyone recommend a beginners book in php
Re: Java Vs PHP: Which Has The Brightest Future? by sisqology(m): 10:26am On Sep 06, 2011
fayimora, how far na? I need ur attention abeg, offcam, Can u drop me ur mail, or buzz me on scuby1000@gmail.com
Re: Java Vs PHP: Which Has The Brightest Future? by SayoMarvel(m): 12:08pm On Sep 06, 2011
Web app = PHP
Enterprise-class apps (web) = Java
With PHP, your solution will be easier to accomplish but if you want to perform complex stunts? JAVA
Performance-wise, I've read white papers of some special frameworks that will make you Java app perform better than PHP.
I asked a couple of web gurus this same question and they all shared my point of view.
Re: Java Vs PHP: Which Has The Brightest Future? by Danyl(m): 1:03pm On Sep 06, 2011
this is interesting, one thing that makes me see the beautiful side of java is that its quite applicable in almost every aspect of programming, which PHP has not been able to cover,
Re: Java Vs PHP: Which Has The Brightest Future? by kodewrita(m): 1:43pm On Sep 06, 2011
cocoon:

Really? Have u heard of asp.net ?

Have u heard of
1. WPF
2. WCF or WCF RIA
3. WF
4. Entity Framework / NHibernate /ActiveRecord / Ado.net /Microsoft Enterprise Library 5
5. Silverlight / Microsoft Enterprise Library For Silverlight
6. LightSwitch
8. CLSA Framework / Prism 4
9. Dependency Injection /Ninjet /Castle Winsor/Unity Framework
10. Asp.net MVC 3
11 .LINQ
12 .PLINQ

SO this alphabet soup automatically makes it better than PHP?

They are meant for different environments. lets just leave it at that.

If you want simplicity itself and you are not willing to invest in a python or ruby coder, PHP is your best bet. Not some microsoft tech that you have to code with a reference manual (well , to tell the truth, sometimes in PHP too but not as bad).
Re: Java Vs PHP: Which Has The Brightest Future? by Fayimora(m): 3:08pm On Sep 06, 2011
sisqology:

fayimora, how far na? I need your attention abeg, offcam, Can u drop me your mail, or buzz me on scuby1000@gmail.com
Aii wud add you now!
Re: Java Vs PHP: Which Has The Brightest Future? by sisqology(m): 6:08pm On Sep 06, 2011
i get yahoo id too, but it is messing up at the moment oh, let me try to login.

Gbam, i am in
Re: Java Vs PHP: Which Has The Brightest Future? by Beaf: 8:30pm On Sep 06, 2011
kodewrita:

SO this alphabet soup automatically makes it better than PHP?

They are meant for different environments. lets just leave it at that.

If you want simplicity itself and you are not willing to invest in a python or ruby coder, PHP is your best bet. Not some microsoft tech that you have to code with a reference manual (well , to tell the truth, sometimes in PHP too but not as bad).

Compared to .NET and Java, PHP is a mere toy, period. cool

As for the "reference manual" manual thingy, its part of the high level of discipline every developer must cultivate. While there are some pretty good PHP developers, most tend to be cut and join. This is reflected in the fact that PHP websites have the poorest security levels on average; give me a PHP site and I'm 95% certain I can break in and steal the database within a few minutes without breaking into a sweat.

Re: Java Vs PHP: Which Has The Brightest Future? by Nobody: 12:14am On Sep 07, 2011
Re: Java Vs PHP: Which Has The Brightest Future? by ektbear: 5:05am On Sep 07, 2011
Both have really bright futures. PHP has most of the mindshare for web development. I don't really see Rails taking that away.

Java won't be going anywhere either.

As far as "brightest" goes, I dunno.

Both are good choices for their respective domains.
Re: Java Vs PHP: Which Has The Brightest Future? by kodewrita(m): 7:33am On Sep 07, 2011
ekt_bear:

Both have really bright futures. PHP has most of the mindshare for web development. I don't really see Rails taking that away.

Java won't be going anywhere either.

As far as "brightest" goes, I dunno.

Both are good choices for their respective domains.

Oga ekt_bear,,Hmmmmn

So eyin naa mo n pa e.

Nice one.
Re: Java Vs PHP: Which Has The Brightest Future? by Nobody: 8:11pm On Sep 07, 2011
omo_to_dun:

http://www.nairaland.com
http://www.facebook.com
http://www.wikipedia.org
http://www.yahoo.com

Oya, prove yourself.

thank you.

OP, they both can be useful for different tasks
so it's better you go for both, i will recommend PHP first.
Re: Java Vs PHP: Which Has The Brightest Future? by Davekirui: 11:54am On Sep 09, 2011
hey, php is the heart of web apps, Java good for enterprise app.
JSP is good but never compete with PHP
Re: Java Vs PHP: Which Has The Brightest Future? by netghost: 10:52pm On Sep 09, 2011
omo_to_dun:

Oya, prove yourself.

ROTFLMAO

Beaf:

give me a PHP site and I'm 95% certain I can break in and steal the database within a few minutes without breaking into a sweat.

i guess you dont mean it literally
Re: Java Vs PHP: Which Has The Brightest Future? by VALIDATOR: 1:30pm On Sep 19, 2011
Beaf:

Compared to .NET and Java, PHP is a mere toy, period. cool

As for the "reference manual" manual thingy, its part of the high level of discipline every developer must cultivate. While there are some pretty good PHP developers, most tend to be cut and join. This is reflected in the fact that PHP websites have the poorest security levels on average; give me a PHP site and I'm 95% certain I can break in and steal the database within a few minutes without breaking into a sweat.

omo_to_dun:

Oya, prove yourself.

Waiting for you Beaf.You asked for "a" php site and now you have four sites to choose from.

Re: Java Vs PHP: Which Has The Brightest Future? by 9dynasty(m): 8:18pm On Sep 21, 2011
beaf we dey wait oh. . .a beg break into facebook or better still paypal make i see. . .if you fit i go dash you my laptop. . .LMFAO grin grin
Re: Java Vs PHP: Which Has The Brightest Future? by ajaxify: 12:04am On Sep 22, 2011
This is a stupid comparison jare. Talk about comparing Flash Action Script 3 with ASP.NET for instance?
Very lame. JAVA and PHP are 2 very different things, they are used for different kinda apps, they are
not competitors are far as i am concerned.

Even javascript is not even JAVA at all in the actual sense.
Re: Java Vs PHP: Which Has The Brightest Future? by Fayimora(m): 12:35am On Sep 22, 2011
Beaf has been banned by the spambot so he is unable to reply you guys.
Re: Java Vs PHP: Which Has The Brightest Future? by Nobody: 1:30pm On Oct 06, 2011
Na wa ohhhhhhhhhhh,
Re: Java Vs PHP: Which Has The Brightest Future? by Andrew3(m): 1:37pm On Oct 06, 2011
I thought poster was talking of a brighter future(so says the topic) Not how advanced or how of a rigmarole it could be angry angry angry angry angry
Re: Java Vs PHP: Which Has The Brightest Future? by Nobody: 1:38pm On Oct 06, 2011
[size=15pt]I 'll say they both complement each other.[/size]
Re: Java Vs PHP: Which Has The Brightest Future? by Andrew3(m): 1:40pm On Oct 06, 2011
The most complicated could turn out to be a liability in the future based on change in the it world.
Re: Java Vs PHP: Which Has The Brightest Future? by Nobody: 1:53pm On Oct 06, 2011
Brightest future is PHP ofcourse. Much of open source and free. You could do a lot with your notepad and brain, you dont need to buy. Bright future has nothing to do about cash income which java has so many for-sale bundles.

I am fascinated with PHP but java has its place. PHP has a gr8 future
Re: Java Vs PHP: Which Has The Brightest Future? by toluxa1(m): 2:02pm On Oct 06, 2011
ajaxify:

This is a silly comparison jare.

Even javascript is not even JAVA at all in the actual sense.

First, it is not a silly comparison, there is nothing like that.

Second, JAVASCRIPT and JAVA are clearly two different things, alot of people confuse them together
Re: Java Vs PHP: Which Has The Brightest Future? by blank(f): 2:07pm On Oct 06, 2011
Yaaaawn.
Re: Java Vs PHP: Which Has The Brightest Future? by islamrules(m): 2:22pm On Oct 06, 2011
I use the two (JSP and PHP)

JSP is more secure than PHP
PHP is easier to code and debug

PHP is faster, JSP is damn too slow.

Hardware requirement for JSP is enormous, PHP requires little.

There is nothing PHP can do JSP cannot do.
There is nothing JSP can do PHP cannot do.

The secrete:

PHP with Ajax is sky without limit.
Swing/Hibernate and co with JSP is sky without limit

What Are The Best Laptops For Programmers And Hackers?! / The Top Highly Paid Programming Languages To Learn / Sultan Akintunde Set For Guinness World Record For Longest Software Coding Time