Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,994 members, 7,817,946 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 11:36 PM

Java Vs PHP: Which Has The Brightest Future? - Programming (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / Java Vs PHP: Which Has The Brightest Future? (41780 Views)

Java Vs C# Which Do You Prefer? / Java Vs Oracle Dba: Which Is More Profitable? / Java Vs C Sharp (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Java Vs PHP: Which Has The Brightest Future? by MMM2(m): 3:10pm On Oct 06, 2011
java
Re: Java Vs PHP: Which Has The Brightest Future? by Sike(m): 3:57pm On Oct 06, 2011
Me think itz Java!
Re: Java Vs PHP: Which Has The Brightest Future? by medoski(m): 4:59pm On Oct 06, 2011
Re: Java Vs PHP: Which Has The Brightest Future? by kodewrita(m): 5:03pm On Oct 06, 2011
which has a larger more passionate community?
which has more innovative applications being created?
which powers the world's biggest websites?

Java is cool. Yes. But it doesnt have the spread or ease of use of PHP.

Besides most of the top coders in the world rely on the P/R scripting languages (PHP, Perl, Python, Ruby) instead of Java. It might seem like a simple personal choice until you attempt to do great stuff and find it so hard to get quality coders.

PHP is still around and with more perlisms being added to the language, its growing ever stronger.

Java on the other hand is still groping its way forward with Oracle's distaste (oh my dear Sun Micro!! How d mighty have fallen.) for opensource and constant attempts to frustrate them.
Re: Java Vs PHP: Which Has The Brightest Future? by MrWhy1(m): 7:41pm On Oct 06, 2011
PHP is dynamic, has passionate following, open source and free.

@Beaf

We still dey wait oooo. I am glued to my TV waiting for the next Hacking breaking news on those prominent sites by Guru Beaf.
Re: Java Vs PHP: Which Has The Brightest Future? by edcode(f): 8:26pm On Oct 06, 2011
Is PHP a real programming language? grin
Re: Java Vs PHP: Which Has The Brightest Future? by Ekiti1: 10:52pm On Oct 06, 2011
omo_to_dun:

http://www.nairaland.com
http://www.facebook.com
http://www.wikipedia.org
http://www.yahoo.com

Oya, prove yourself.

Beaf, its where we dont have enough space/land that we argue over who is a better wrestler.
Oya, we are waiting.
Re: Java Vs PHP: Which Has The Brightest Future? by abbyode(m): 10:59pm On Oct 06, 2011
Alpha5 is the future, I can tell u authoritatively. It's far better than php, java or .Net all combined together. You may read more about it on alphasoftware dot com.
Re: Java Vs PHP: Which Has The Brightest Future? by binkabir(m): 11:32pm On Oct 06, 2011
omo_to_dun:

http://www.nairaland.com
http://www.facebook.com
http://www.wikipedia.org
http://www.yahoo.com

Oya, prove yourself.

OGA BEAF, UNCLE BEAF, Mr BEAF, MASTER BEAF, DR BEAF and HONOURABLE BEAFFFFFFFFFFFF
We stilllllllllllllllllllllllllll the wait for you ho!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! tongue tongue tongue

1 Like

Re: Java Vs PHP: Which Has The Brightest Future? by buston01: 11:49pm On Oct 06, 2011
I think the way php is moving now compare to java, the future of php is brighter. Java began to fall since it refuse to be open source again. Who said php is not secured? It depends on how much you know. Program php with HMVC architecture and you will really understand the power of php. But at present for complex project using php and java together makes a whole lot of sense
Re: Java Vs PHP: Which Has The Brightest Future? by hegobetter: 11:50pm On Oct 06, 2011
Just a little advice.  Before you decide on which programming language to learn or drop, consult this link
http://www.tiobe.com/index.php/content/paperinfo/tpci/index.html

Observe the trend.  There is a big gap between PHP (which is actually dropping in popularity) and C# for example which is gaining more popularity.

Then for job prospects, the list of website is endless: www.jobserve.com,  www.monster.com, etc.
Programming languages don't make a good software developer.  The language is just a means of expressing some form of creativity after some thorough analysis of the problem in the process of coming up with the best solution.   You don't need to ask anybody(afterall google is not broken).  Most developers (especially in Nigeria) will be biased towards their programming language of choice)

I will not recommend Java or C# or PHP or any other language.   I'll only ask you to chose any language from those in use around you and learn it thoroughly.  Learn how to write high quality code.  If you must go for Java, please note that there is a difference between the default java (designed by James Gosling, etc) and effective Java (read the book from Joshua Bloc).  Learn popular frameworks (JUnit, NHibernate, Struts, Spring.Net, PHP Nuke, solrm Lucene, Cocoon, loads of them in Java, .Net and PHP)

I use to think that people hardly use Java Swing untill I came in contact with the development community in the Banks (Investment Banks like Barclays, Standard Chartered, HSBC, etc).

I use to think that Assembler is dead untill I met a couple of guys coding Assembler for the Inventory System of one of the most popular travel company in the world.

C++ is still in wide use.  The truth is, if you know most of these languages (please consult you immediate environment as I don't leave in Nigeria), you'll be hot in the market.  However, you'll command more respect if you've mastered the art of writing high quality code with excellent analytical skills.
Re: Java Vs PHP: Which Has The Brightest Future? by eunisam: 11:51pm On Oct 06, 2011
I am lost.what about HIV?
Re: Java Vs PHP: Which Has The Brightest Future? by Jouslaw(m): 12:12am On Oct 07, 2011
Ekiti1:

Beaf, its where we dont have enough space/land that we argue over who is a better wrestler.
Oya, we are waiting.

Make una LEAVE THE GUY, EM THINK SAY HACK!NG NA BEEF NI,
Is the u check the VULNURABILITY THAT U CAN NOW DECEIVE WETHER ITS VUL, TO SQL INJ,
Re: Java Vs PHP: Which Has The Brightest Future? by mxxpunkxx: 3:17am On Oct 07, 2011
binkabir:

OGA BEAF, UNCLE BEAF, Mr BEAF, MASTER BEAF, DR BEAF and HONOURABLE BEAFFFFFFFFFFFF
We stilllllllllllllllllllllllllll the wait for you ho!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! tongue tongue tongue

LFMAO . . oya, Beaf, we dey wait ohhh,

Omo_to_dun, but u sef na bad guyz ooo
Re: Java Vs PHP: Which Has The Brightest Future? by ektbear: 4:26am On Oct 07, 2011
kodewrita:

Besides most of the top coders in the world rely on the P/R scripting languages (PHP, Perl, Python, Ruby) instead of Java. It might seem like a simple personal choice until you attempt to do great stuff and find it so hard to get quality coders.

You can find tons and tons of Java programmers. Many universities use it for their intro programming courses, I think. Probably more Java programmers than any of PHP, Perl, Python or Ruby, I think.
Re: Java Vs PHP: Which Has The Brightest Future? by kodewrita(m): 8:45am On Oct 07, 2011
same way we had tons and tons of COBOL programmers. where are they now? Lots of nigerians learnt FORTRAN as intro to programming but I dont see anyone coding in FORTRAN95/ High-performance FORTRAN nowadays. (emphasis because of circumstance and limited experience).

I love Java too (dont get me wrong. Anyone who has coded Java using NetBeans definitely loves the language). I simply love PHP better. But for desktop apps, its either Java or VB.Net and for apps that straddle the divide (widgets, RIAs) I love Adobe Air.
Re: Java Vs PHP: Which Has The Brightest Future? by isleman(m): 10:03am On Oct 07, 2011
@poster, i think you should be comparing php with ASP, nevertheless, back to your question. IMO PHP has a brighter future for several reasons. The main reason is that it has a smooth learning curve. you can start learning php today and grab something at the end of the day unlike some Microsoft programs.

Java is good in its own way, but you know its an OOP while php is flexible. I will advise you to go for PHP. it also has very good and easily accessible inbuilt functions which you can read more about from their manuals at www.php.net

don't get confused by oppressors on the post that want to show off. just stay focused, know your goals and areas you want to improve on and get the right tools or scripting language for it.

best of luck
Re: Java Vs PHP: Which Has The Brightest Future? by isleman(m): 10:10am On Oct 07, 2011
kodewrita:

(dont get me wrong. Anyone who has coded Java using NetBeans

BINGO!!! thats it. you have to code with some kind of IDE. never can develop your script from scratch to finish unlike php. with PHP you do all you coding yourself, you don't need any IDE, you can write the code on a notepad. no need to download anything to help you in coding which is characterized of java and most Microsoft programs (you are not fully independent. you depend on some sort of IDE or platform to code on)
Re: Java Vs PHP: Which Has The Brightest Future? by Bossman(m): 4:50pm On Oct 07, 2011
You've got some good responses, however I think it should be elaborated that Java is a programming language and PHP is not. PHP is a scripting language. They are quite different in that respect. They both have a bright future. But they are used for different things. If anything you should be comparing Java to another programming language, and PHP to another scripting language, such as JavaScript.
Re: Java Vs PHP: Which Has The Brightest Future? by ektbear: 5:08pm On Oct 07, 2011
The PHP online manual is damn *sweet.* That is one thing about I really like about it.
Re: Java Vs PHP: Which Has The Brightest Future? by nejifresh(m): 7:12pm On Oct 07, 2011
I'VE HAD IT with all these fake a$$>!@ php wannabee coders, how dare u compare php with java or the almighty .NET. I've used all three, but when push comes to shove, there's no comparing with the power of .NET. Take that from an experienced hand.
Re: Java Vs PHP: Which Has The Brightest Future? by ektbear: 10:34pm On Oct 07, 2011
nejifresh:

I'VE HAD IT with all these fake a$$>!@ php wannabee coders, how dare u compare php with java or the almighty .NET. I've used all three, but when push comes to shove, there's no comparing with the power of .NET. Take that from an experienced hand.

What can do you with Java or .NET that you cannot do with PHP?

I was under the impression that PHP can interact with C/C++/Java libraries. So anything those languages can do, you can do in PHP.

You can probably write GUI apps in PHP even.
Re: Java Vs PHP: Which Has The Brightest Future? by edcode(f): 10:49pm On Oct 07, 2011
@ekt_bear

I was under the impression that PHP can interact with C/C++/Java libraries. So anything those languages can do, you can do in PHP.

Invalid deduction. PHP pointers and pointer arithmetic?
Re: Java Vs PHP: Which Has The Brightest Future? by ektbear: 10:59pm On Oct 07, 2011
The statement is a commentary on access to the functionality of the libraries of those languages, not on the functionality of the languages.

So no, you cannot do pointer arithmetic in PHP (to my knowledge.) But you can write and control a Swing (Java) or QT (C++) GUI app from PHP.

Or any other libraries that Java has but PHP doesn't have, you can grab and use.
Re: Java Vs PHP: Which Has The Brightest Future? by ektbear: 11:09pm On Oct 07, 2011
Moreover, even in Java one cannot do pointer arithmetic. Yet is an industrial-strength language. I don't know whether C# has pointers, though.

If you are doing low-level systems programming in C, then I guess you need this feature. But given that the thread title is about Java vs. PHP, most in this thread probably don't care about it.
Re: Java Vs PHP: Which Has The Brightest Future? by hannie: 5:13am On Oct 10, 2011
una never see BEAF? shocked grin
Re: Java Vs PHP: Which Has The Brightest Future? by lekside44(m): 11:30am On Oct 10, 2011
any
Re: Java Vs PHP: Which Has The Brightest Future? by Danyl(m): 8:24pm On Oct 11, 2011
Php could be a scripting language bt it has most features that java has nd they are good for different things bt as for java web server side scripting language JSP n PHP, JSP stil has a some good handle on scalable enterprise applications whc i dont think could be harnessed using PHP,though they both have their domain of strength,bt i still think Java is going to have a good future due to the open source nature of PHP,pls correct me if am wrong.
Re: Java Vs PHP: Which Has The Brightest Future? by hegobetter: 2:40pm On Oct 16, 2011
Keep an eye on this

http://www.tiobe.com/index.php/content/paperinfo/tpci/index.html

See where php stands and where java stands. Most popular websites (yahoo, twitter, ebay, amazon, etc) has their middle tier all developed in java or one of these JVM languages (JRuby recently as in the case of twitter). In any case, PHP now runs in the JVM and the target (if not already achieved) is for the JVM to run PHP faster than what you have with apache or IIS.

Another important point (most investment banks in europe and america - Standard Chattered, Barclays, UBS, Lloyds, JP Morgan, etc) have huge investments in applications written in java. Many of them have entire trading engines and front office systems written in Java.

All over the world, we're talking of billions and billions of lines of code already written in Java and a developer community spanning millions of developers. Java is going no were really. It's future is very bright.

Apart from that, Android, Blackberry phones all allows you to code in java. You can code in Java for Microsoft's Azure cloud platform or even Windows Phone (JavaFX, though not exactly the same)

Let's then talk about popular open source frame work. Hibernate, Spring, JUnit, Apache Cocoon, Lucene, Struts, etc. Just visit www.apache.com or sourcefourge.net

It might be a little more challenging at the beginning, but an investment in learning Java is definitely worth the effort. Also, I'll advice that you pay attention to writing high quality code. Learn the art of effective Java Programming, not just the Java Language.

That's my 2 cents.
Re: Java Vs PHP: Which Has The Brightest Future? by cmp100: 11:30am On Jun 21, 2013
I was reading through this forum, got to it via Google, I realized that Facebook was Hacked by Mr Beaf but Hold on!!!, we never heard of "Beaf, The Clever guy who hacked Facebook" on the news, sure you got em good hacking skills to nuke and vanish without traces. grin
Re: Java Vs PHP: Which Has The Brightest Future? by javadoctor(m): 12:10am On Jun 23, 2013
I feel java is been downgraded here.been compared with baby php.

1 Like

Re: Java Vs PHP: Which Has The Brightest Future? by Nobody: 12:23am On Jun 23, 2013
javadoctor: I feel java is been downgraded here.been compared with baby php.

Huh?? undecided 'Baby PHP'..

Topic says: 'Which has the Brightest Future'.. Certainly PHP!!

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

What Are The Best Laptops For Programmers And Hackers?! / Sultan Akintunde Set For Guinness World Record For Longest Software Coding Time / The Top Highly Paid Programming Languages To Learn

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 47
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.