Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,165,403 members, 7,861,140 topics. Date: Saturday, 15 June 2024 at 02:50 AM

Why Do Some Successful Businesses Fold Up After The Demise Of The CEO? - Business (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Why Do Some Successful Businesses Fold Up After The Demise Of The CEO? (19167 Views)

Meet Precious Nwosu, The CEO Of Pians Enterprise / Oyin Jolayemi Biography Of The CEO Of Daily Need Group / Breaking News: Businesses Fold In Ukanafun & Etim Ekpo L.G.A.s (AKS) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Do Some Successful Businesses Fold Up After The Demise Of The CEO? by CheapHomes1: 8:52pm On Jan 11, 2023
GloriousGbola:
One of the problems Imho is the African expectation that the child will continue the business. Business acumen or passion is not hereditary.

So there is no proper succession plan in place.

And As others have said too many naija businesses are based on patronage and relationships.

thank you. your first and last sentences have done justice especially to the Abiola issue. and also the Abacha factor
Re: Why Do Some Successful Businesses Fold Up After The Demise Of The CEO? by CheapHomes1: 8:53pm On Jan 11, 2023
HappyDolphinRea:

Owner did not create system
When you create a system for everything things will continue to run smoothly whether the CEO is available or not.

what type of system should Abiola have created?
Re: Why Do Some Successful Businesses Fold Up After The Demise Of The CEO? by Yunavese(f): 9:10pm On Jan 11, 2023
The white man prefers keeping a legacy. His name lives as long as his achievements. Disney died long ago yet his company owns 92% of present day Hollywood. Nobody knows when Einstein was born or when he died. His scientific findings still guide rockets sent to space yearly.

Do your findings very well again, Disney can't own 92% of Hollywood the pattern to which the western world operate their business cooperation divers totally with African's. An African businessman will register his business as a public LTD and You will be surprise how he solely takes and determine the money flow of the company even if he acclaims selling the company shares it will just be maximum of 15% of the company just to proof I am the owner, whereas this westerners can sell 60% of the company out the only thing is just that there will be a clause in agreement which permit the family continue to be the CEO till they decide to sell all the 40% out.
So no matter what if the main man dies the company continues the main is the board of directors to sit and decide.
For an easier explanation use Education system
private school do fold up when the owner is dead because decision making is to a person while a Missionary schools survive centuries because decision making is too many.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why Do Some Successful Businesses Fold Up After The Demise Of The CEO? by XXCASH: 9:10pm On Jan 11, 2023
CheapHomes1:

so you think Abiola didnt have a succession plan?

You will be shocked.

Do you know what a succession plan means

How many of his children worked in his various company and what positions did they hold.

What training were they given. There is so much in a succession plan and not just naming someone to run it
Re: Why Do Some Successful Businesses Fold Up After The Demise Of The CEO? by Advancedman(m): 9:55pm On Jan 11, 2023
maureensylvia:
Take a look at this

Mr Joe has been running a successful business in millions of dollars for decades with hundreds of employees working for him.

Surprisingly at his death, the business ceased to continue.

Why do you think this happened?

Share your thoughts

A case study of MKO Abiola
(He set up Abiola Farms, Abiola Bookshops, Radio Communications Nigeria, Wonder Bakeries, Concord Press, Concord Airlines, Summit Oil International Ltd, Africa Ocean Lines, Habib Bank, Decca W.A. Ltd, and Abiola football club)

It only happens when individual is built instead of institution.
When the organization is mere formality but it's a man know man connection based
Re: Why Do Some Successful Businesses Fold Up After The Demise Of The CEO? by remsonik(f): 10:55pm On Jan 11, 2023
No one has the dream, vision and goals the CEO has for the business. I know a man who has one of the top private schools in oyo state years back. When the man died, his children took it up and continued running it but they were not working hard for it and putting all the efforts of baba who's an educationist into it.

Now the school is dead, I was in the school compound last year and tears dropped from my eyes.

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why Do Some Successful Businesses Fold Up After The Demise Of The CEO? by pagorino(m): 11:23pm On Jan 11, 2023
Mismanagement of funds by the successor.
Re: Why Do Some Successful Businesses Fold Up After The Demise Of The CEO? by Konquest: 11:37pm On Jan 11, 2023
maureensylvia:
Take a look at this

Mr Joe has been running a successful business in millions of dollars for decades with hundreds of employees working for him.

Surprisingly at his death, the business ceased to continue.

Why do you think this happened?

Share your thoughts

A case study of MKO Abiola
(He set up Abiola Farms, Abiola Bookshops, Radio Communications Nigeria, Wonder Bakeries, Concord Press, Concord Airlines, Summit Oil International Ltd, Africa Ocean Lines, Habib Bank, Decca W.A. Ltd, and Abiola football club)
Chief MKO Abiola, GCFR, had most of his businesses crippled by the repressive Military junta of that dark-goggled, Kano-born Kanuri man who brazenly stole over $4 billion of Nigeria's money into offshore bank accounts mainly through the Central Bank of Nigeria.

The business grounding and collapses had nothing to do with mismanagement or a bad succession plan by Abiola.

It was during that horrid period in the early to late 1990s that I ended up realizing how easy it is to ruin a business of a billionaire in times of political upheavals by Military dictatorships.

Nice thread.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why Do Some Successful Businesses Fold Up After The Demise Of The CEO? by Caseless: 3:56am On Jan 12, 2023
FalseProphet1:
Lazy and wasteful children who aren't ready to make their father's sacrifice but are eager to lavish his millions.

Ekene Dili Chukwu...I cried when the owner died cos I knew the company wouldn't last 6 months before crumbling and I was right.

Most parents spoil their kids so badly that they have zero knowledge of what operating a business is all about.

This I have seen.
Diamond Bank died because the son of the founder was careless too.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Some Successful Businesses Fold Up After The Demise Of The CEO? by visaclick: 4:46am On Jan 12, 2023
Because most of these rich men give birth to the dumbest offsprings. Look at otedola for instance, imagine cuppy after all the education and everything still can't leave her father's shadow, then to add salt to injury fell in love with a tattoo artist turned mechanic. The other one is following musician around while the third one is slow. I know a very successful block industry near me, the owner is living the good life and running it smooth but guess what his children are into, yahoo! All of them including the girls are nothing but Yahoo yahoo, when they sit they are taking of the next client to con or the next bank to load and their dad is old already. Anything bad news like this company is gone.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Some Successful Businesses Fold Up After The Demise Of The CEO? by CheapHomes1: 5:56am On Jan 12, 2023
XXCASH:

You will be shocked.

Do you know what a succession plan means

How many of his children worked in his various company and what positions did they hold.

What training were they given. There is so much in a succession plan and not just naming someone to run it

oh no. I dont know what a succession plan means. can you please tell me?

also intimate me on how Abiola got rich in the first place
Re: Why Do Some Successful Businesses Fold Up After The Demise Of The CEO? by CheapHomes1: 5:57am On Jan 12, 2023
Konquest:

Chief MKO Abiola, GCFR, had most of his businesses crippled by the repressive Military junta of that dark-goggled, Kano-born Kanuri man who brazenly stole over $4 billion of Nigeria's money into offshore bank accounts mainly through the Central Bank of Nigeria.

The business grounding and collapses had nothing to do with mismanagement or a bad succession plan by Abiola.

It was during that horrid period in the early to late 1990s that I ended up realizing how easy it is to ruin a business of a billionaire in times of political upheavals by Military dictatorships.

Nice thread.

thank you. i just de see people to talk many grammar of vision, succession paln and all worth not. many were not privy to what happened to Abiola
Re: Why Do Some Successful Businesses Fold Up After The Demise Of The CEO? by maureensylvia(f): 9:25am On Jan 12, 2023
visaclick:
Because most of these rich men give birth to the dumbest offsprings. Look at otedola for instance, imagine cuppy after all the education and everything still can't leave her father's shadow, then to add salt to injury fell in love with a tattoo artist turned mechanic. The other one is following musician around while the third one is slow. I know a very successful block industry near me, the owner is living the good life and running it smooth but guess what his children are into, yahoo! All of them including the girls are nothing but Yahoo yahoo, when they sit they are taking of the next client to con or the next bank to load and their dad is old already. Anything bad news like this company is gone.

Wow!
Re: Why Do Some Successful Businesses Fold Up After The Demise Of The CEO? by Kreddy: 10:42am On Jan 12, 2023
interesting
Re: Why Do Some Successful Businesses Fold Up After The Demise Of The CEO? by kaybee2ng(m): 1:18pm On Jan 12, 2023
Nothing Happen, It's Just Greed

1. Believing That You Children Must Inherit The Business By Force Even When They Are Inexperience Or Not Interested
2. Refusal To Mentor Experienced Non-Relation To Run The Business
3. Not Putting In Place Standard Operation Guideline That Ensure That The Business Can Run With Or Without The Owner

The List Is Endless But Greed Is The Major Cause.
Re: Why Do Some Successful Businesses Fold Up After The Demise Of The CEO? by maureensylvia(f): 11:08pm On Jan 12, 2023
waziri4biz:

Lol Maureen you bring the matta reach here too?
It's me Osayi

I see you cool
Re: Why Do Some Successful Businesses Fold Up After The Demise Of The CEO? by maureensylvia(f): 11:13pm On Jan 12, 2023
franchasng:
This is why I love Nairaland, everyday you learn new exciting lessons from everyday people. Thanks so much to the op, this is an interesting topic.

Keep them coming guys, a lot of people will learn from this cool

You're welcome cool

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why Do Some Successful Businesses Fold Up After The Demise Of The CEO? by maureensylvia(f): 12:04am On Jan 14, 2023
Our frozen food shipping to USA is on Monday 16th January

Want to send frozen food, soup, stew and co to USA? Joint delivery is available

#maureenhd
Re: Why Do Some Successful Businesses Fold Up After The Demise Of The CEO? by Kobicove(m): 4:53pm On Jan 14, 2023
tunapawizzy:
No succession structure. Business built around CEOs image alone. Only CEO dey go meetings, network with client n industry regulators...it's all about the CEO alone. Na only CEO really understand the vision,

When you open your own business in Nigeria please allow your employees too much power by attending important meetings for you, inter-phasing with important client, being a signatory to your company bank account etc.

I guarantee that the employee will set up an elaborate scheme and rob your company blind.

Ya eye go clear by force!
Re: Why Do Some Successful Businesses Fold Up After The Demise Of The CEO? by maureensylvia(f): 9:37pm On Jan 14, 2023
Kobicove:

When you open your own business in Nigeria please allow your employees too much power by attending important meetings for you, inter-phasing with important client, being a signatory to your company bank account etc.

I guarantee that the employee will set up an elaborate scheme and rob your company blind.

What do u advice then?

Ya eye go clear by force!
Re: Why Do Some Successful Businesses Fold Up After The Demise Of The CEO? by achinu(m): 5:14pm On Jan 15, 2023
CheapHomes1:

so you think Abiola didnt have a succession plan?

I believe that question has been addressed based on the non existence of the his businesses today.

Fyi, succession plans go beyond family members, that's the reason you've a lot businesses in the west that have been around long after their founder's have passed away.
Re: Why Do Some Successful Businesses Fold Up After The Demise Of The CEO? by CheapHomes1: 5:16pm On Jan 15, 2023
achinu:

I believe that question has been addressed based on the non existence of the his businesses today.

Fyi, succession plans go beyond family members, that's the reason you've a lot businesses in the west that have been around long after their founder's have passed away.

Is it lack of succession plan that made abiolas businesses to pack up?

How does the fact that his businesses don't exist today mean that he didn't have a succession plan? Pls explain

How did abiola become as rich as he was before he died?
Re: Why Do Some Successful Businesses Fold Up After The Demise Of The CEO? by CheapHomes1: 5:20pm On Jan 15, 2023
achinu:

How did abiola become as rich as he was before he died?

How does the fact that his businesses don't exist today mean that he didn't have a succession plan? Pls explain
Re: Why Do Some Successful Businesses Fold Up After The Demise Of The CEO? by achinu(m): 5:27pm On Jan 15, 2023
Konquest:

Nice thread.

Abiola benefitted immensely financially from the same military government you blame for the demise of his business.

He was an oligarch, the same way Putin deals with the Russian billionaires when they get out of line or the way China dealt with Jack Ma when he became too outspoken was the same way the Nigerian military government dealt with MKO.

Do some research and you will find out that MKO's business empire was built on the back of corruption & cronyism, that was the reason FELA made the song ITT (International Thief Thief) he was taking a jab at the multinational companies that were exploiting Africa at the time & MKO was the ITT business representative for Africa at that time if memory serves me correctly.

This info is out in the public domain if you search.
Re: Why Do Some Successful Businesses Fold Up After The Demise Of The CEO? by Gerrard59(m): 8:01am On Oct 21, 2023
franchasng:
This is why I love Nairaland, everyday you learn new exciting lessons from everyday people. Thanks so much to the op, this is an interesting topic.

God should please bless all honest, hardworking business and company founders with good health and long life to enable them groom reliable successors for their companies, Amen!

Keep them coming guys, a lot of people will learn from this cool

Much better than Reddit/Nigeria where the majority said it is a lie that Nigerians don't warm their foods using stoves and charcoal.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Business Skills Lagos Business School Can't Teach You / Access Bank, Remita Introduce Salary Advance Scheme / Crowd Funding In Nigeria. Intelligent minds, lets discuss.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.