Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,923 members, 7,824,879 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 08:02 PM

Wikileaks Cable: Obasanjo’s Unfair Advantage To Dangote. . . - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Wikileaks Cable: Obasanjo’s Unfair Advantage To Dangote. . . (1833 Views)

Wikileaks Cables: Shell's Grip On Nigerian State Revealed / Wikileaks: SECRET CABLE FROM US EMBASSY ABUJA / Wikileaks Said It Has 4,598 Cables Originating From Nigeria. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Wikileaks Cable: Obasanjo’s Unfair Advantage To Dangote. . . by ektbear: 3:33am On Sep 06, 2011
E.O. 12958: DECL: 03/07/2015
SUBJECT: ALIKO DANGOTE AND WHY YOU SHOULD KNOW ABOUT HIM

Classified By: Consul General Brian Browne for reasons 1.4 (b) and (d).

¶1. (C) Summary. Alhaji Aliko Dangote (Dangote) is Nigeria's
most well known businessperson and may be its wealthiest
citizen. He has taken on the aura of an economic folk hero
for some, villain for others. To supporters, he symbolizes
that Nigeria can do more than barter and trade. It can
succeed in manufacturing. To detractors, he is a predator
using connections in a corrupt political economy to tilt the
playing field in his favor and sideline potential competition.
The truth resides somewhere between these caricatures.
Dangote is counted among President Obasanjo's inner circle of
business advisors. It is no coincidence that many products
on
Nigeria's import ban lists are items in which Dangote has
major interests.

¶2. (C) Summary Cont'd: Although an undiluted success in terms
of wealth accumulation, Dangote personifies the duality in
Nigeria's economy. This duality presents a dilemma for US
economic policy. On one hand, Dangote imports significant
amounts of US produce and equipment for his manufacturing
ventures. On the other, he has had success blocking trade
and investment that might compete with his enterprises.
Weighing everything in the balance, we believe the Dangote
model is harmful to Nigerian and American interests in the
long run. Unfortunately, the Dangote model will likely be
the one most emulated until its beggar-thy-countrymen
contradictions become more apparent. End summary.

See the rest here: http://thestreetjournal.org/2011/09/wikileaks-cable-obasanjo%E2%80%99s-unfair-advantage-to-dangote-harmed-nigerian-american-markets/
Re: Wikileaks Cable: Obasanjo’s Unfair Advantage To Dangote. . . by ektbear: 3:38am On Sep 06, 2011

¶16. (C) Dangote's tremendous popularity and acceptance is
not likely to diminish. The average Nigerian considers
him, and more importantly, his way of doing business, a
model to be emulated. The fact is, however, the myriad
preferences the GON has bestowed on the Dangote Group have
distorted the market in ways that do more harm than good
over the long haul. [size=18pt]However, the Nigerian Government
rarely takes a long-term perspective into account.[/size] The
GON-Dangote relationship has been, at minimal, very chummy
and mutually accommodating. Critics of this relationship
would state that it smacks of insider trading. Dangote does
not epitomize the free market at work in Nigeria. What
his story reveals is that he is one of the few free-
wheeling actors in a relatively and artificially closed
economic environment.
Re: Wikileaks Cable: Obasanjo’s Unfair Advantage To Dangote. . . by ektbear: 3:44am On Sep 06, 2011
What must I do to get my own government-backed monopoly?

Perhaps we should hand over PHCN to me so I can become Dangote 2.0.
Re: Wikileaks Cable: Obasanjo’s Unfair Advantage To Dangote. . . by sizzlers(m): 5:48am On Sep 06, 2011
ekt_bear:

Perhaps we should hand over PHCN to me so I can become Dangote 2.0. granted
Re: Wikileaks Cable: Obasanjo’s Unfair Advantage To Dangote. . . by okadaman2: 5:50am On Sep 06, 2011
ekt_bear:

Perhaps we should hand over PHCN to me so I can become Dangote 2.0.

It is possible. You have to grovel before the right people for a period of time. You can make it of you try.

It used to be mostly an Hausa/Fulani thing, now it's more diverse, maybe more ND or simply PDP

If you are serious, notable mentors include;

1. Dantata

2. Dangote

3. Danjuma (notable military inheritor)

4. Chagouri (Lebanese)

5. Otedola

6. Adenuga

7. Tinubu (Zenon) via Asiwaju

8. Arthur Eze

9. Jimoh Ibrahim via Ibru Family

10. Late M.K.O E.T.C

Some are consistent old and new money Any-Govt-In-Power operators e.g Dantata, now Dangote, maybe Adenuga, they achieved this through sheer determination and focused ability to deal, grovel and remain loyal.

Others are seasonal or in and out money types e.g iwuanyanwu, igbinedion, maybe Ibru(more self-made, but a smart survivor)

You just have to pick the right godfathers and prove you are loyal, dedicated and discrete enough to protect the interests of the real  "Owners of Nigeria". Just in case you are wondering, the owners of Nigeria are few.

Here they are in order of importance;

1. The Military-Political inheritors ; IBB, OBJ, and the Boys

2. The Tribal and Religious Lords: Sultan, Emirs, Obas and recently a few powerful pastors.

3. The Controllers: Big Oil A.K.A MNCs and their Owner States.

My brother, I wish you Goodluck.
Re: Wikileaks Cable: Obasanjo’s Unfair Advantage To Dangote. . . by efisher(m): 5:52am On Sep 06, 2011
These recent "wikileaks" cables have not told us anything new as yet.
Re: Wikileaks Cable: Obasanjo’s Unfair Advantage To Dangote. . . by blacksta(m): 5:55am On Sep 06, 2011
And some Eddioots willl us GEJ has brought FRESH AIR. Anybody that can effectively tackle these Menace called Dangote will have my 100% support
Re: Wikileaks Cable: Obasanjo’s Unfair Advantage To Dangote. . . by Relax101(m): 6:03am On Sep 06, 2011
blacksta:

And some Eddioots willl us GEJ has brought FRESH AIR. Anybody that can effectively tackle these Menace called Dangote will have my 100% support

Your yeye support abi? lol,
Stale news but Dango te wont admit to it.
Re: Wikileaks Cable: Obasanjo’s Unfair Advantage To Dangote. . . by asha80(m): 7:30am On Sep 06, 2011
we have always known that dangote's meteoric rise has been aided by government backed monopoly with obasanjo been a prominent culprit.nothing new here.
Re: Wikileaks Cable: Obasanjo’s Unfair Advantage To Dangote. . . by edoyad(m): 8:08am On Sep 06, 2011
blacksta:

Please what is the intelligence Quotient of a Poster like yourself ?
Jonathan was a Commissioner in Bayelsa state at the time Dangote started ruling our economy. Jonathan Jonathan Jonathan, WTF.

(1) (Reply)

Goodluck Jonathan Is Winning African Cup When His Mates Are Winning World Cup / PHCN Workers To Earn Between N8million To N40million As Severance Package / 2015-the Prophecy Is Coming True

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 23
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.