Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,220 members, 7,825,837 topics. Date: Monday, 13 May 2024 at 01:23 AM

Please Lawyers In The House, Can I Sue My Employer? - Career (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Please Lawyers In The House, Can I Sue My Employer? (10012 Views)

Can I Sue My Employer For This?? / Wife's Phone Searched & All Contacts Deleted By Her Boss, Can I Sue Or Not? / My Employer Is Shortchanging Me (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Please Lawyers In The House, Can I Sue My Employer? by abobote: 3:23pm On Jan 19, 2023
Actually before they terminate your appointment, without any offence, they are supposed to pay you one month salary up front.
But to sue, it depends on how you are being paid, does it worth all the stress and don't forget the Nigeria system where justice can be delayed for ages.

Good luck
Re: Please Lawyers In The House, Can I Sue My Employer? by GistFullGround: 3:25pm On Jan 19, 2023
Yes
Re: Please Lawyers In The House, Can I Sue My Employer? by mykerg: 3:27pm On Jan 19, 2023
grin grin
jimmyolasun:
yes,

wink for 30 billion... tell court the way dem terminate your appointment e choke and your heart no beat again....

tank me later
Re: Please Lawyers In The House, Can I Sue My Employer? by Microwhy: 3:31pm On Jan 19, 2023
Just discuss it with the HR
Re: Please Lawyers In The House, Can I Sue My Employer? by sisisioge: 3:31pm On Jan 19, 2023
Just start by writing them a constructive letter stating your expectations and quoting your terms of employment. Once they see that you know what should be given to you, they will adjust jejely.
Re: Please Lawyers In The House, Can I Sue My Employer? by potent5(m): 3:31pm On Jan 19, 2023
siraj1402:
I was working with a company since late 2015 and my appointment was terminated yesterday.

What was contained in the contract letter was that I either give a month notice or return a month salary in case I want to leave and vis Versa.

The HR called me that I will be paid for this month which I think I am already entitled to, having work for half of the month already.

I feel the company has already breached the contract agreement else I am to be paid at least have of the month I have already worked for.

Please the lawyers in the house should advice me before taken any step.

Thanks
You can sue them. BTW, how much is the monthly salary?
Re: Please Lawyers In The House, Can I Sue My Employer? by GloriousGbola: 3:31pm On Jan 19, 2023
Normal law cases are tied up in court for years.

What is the sum you are looking at here?

Do you have the time and resources to pay lawyers to chase a company over 200 to 300k?

1 Like

Re: Please Lawyers In The House, Can I Sue My Employer? by ejimatic: 3:37pm On Jan 19, 2023
siraj1402:
I was working with a company since late 2015 and my appointment was terminated yesterday.

What was contained in the contract letter was that I either give a month notice or return a month salary in case I want to leave and vis Versa.

The HR called me that I will be paid for this month which I think I am already entitled to, having work for half of the month already.

I feel the company has already breached the contract agreement else I am to be paid at least have of the month I have already worked for.

Thanks
. Yes if it is a private work and yiu have had another job. Yes if it is a government. job whether you have another job or not.
Re: Please Lawyers In The House, Can I Sue My Employer? by histemple: 3:46pm On Jan 19, 2023
siraj1402:

Thanks

In the said contract agreement, are there exceptions to the one month notice or payment of one month salary in lieu?

What is the reason for the termination?

In some contract agreements, there are grounds for termination without notice. However, it must be contained in the employment contract agreement.
Re: Please Lawyers In The House, Can I Sue My Employer? by IamOrei(m): 3:51pm On Jan 19, 2023
Go ahead & sue but ensure u have the strength, tenacity & sufficient fund to survive
Re: Please Lawyers In The House, Can I Sue My Employer? by Yusufisraelj(m): 3:55pm On Jan 19, 2023
flejnr2:
You wrote lawers instead of lawyers, please correct it before they sue you first

Lols
Re: Please Lawyers In The House, Can I Sue My Employer? by free2ryhme: 3:57pm On Jan 19, 2023
siraj1402:

Thanks

Did you find out why your contract was terminated abruptly without notice?
Re: Please Lawyers In The House, Can I Sue My Employer? by Ayoforlifes: 3:58pm On Jan 19, 2023
what was the reason stated for the termination? if it is not a misconduct, you are entitled to one month in lieu of notice at least.
Do answer the above question first.
Re: Please Lawyers In The House, Can I Sue My Employer? by AKWATGOLD1(m): 4:09pm On Jan 19, 2023
Sira
Please go in peace after termination of your appointment with the company and wait for 3 months to collect your 25% of your pension contributions to continue with your life.

siraj1402:

Thanks
Re: Please Lawyers In The House, Can I Sue My Employer? by drkrest(m): 4:16pm On Jan 19, 2023
siraj1402:

Thanks

Two years ago, I resigned from my former company. I gave them a month notice period before I left them, and discussed with the HR if I would be paid for that month. I was assured that my remuneration would be paid accordingly. Expectedly, the managing director frustrated the payment of my remuneration. I tried different soft measures just to make them pay me, but those efforts were impotent. I had to sue the company before my request was granted. I slammed them millions of naira for damage(s). Some Nigerian employers are evil.

1 Like

Re: Please Lawyers In The House, Can I Sue My Employer? by SunTzu123(m): 4:28pm On Jan 19, 2023
Did you receive queries regarding discipline, theft, unprofessional conduct, tardiness? If yes, don't sue.
Are there dispute resolution clauses in your agreement? Check if it mentions arbitration. In that case, you cannot sue but you can go to arbitration.
If you insist on suing, you should go to industrial court.
Re: Please Lawyers In The House, Can I Sue My Employer? by Oyerinde16(m): 4:31pm On Jan 19, 2023
Let me and ice you.
* There is contract or agreement to terminate or relieve or exit an organization.

* The company can terminate your appointment for different reasons,

1, Did they state the reason for terminating your appointment.
If they did, kindly let us know?

* If they terminate your appointment at the middle of the month, and they decide to pay you for the whole month, consider it moderate cos you may and may not be entitled to it.

If your organization runs 15-15, then you are entitled to the full month salary, but if they run 29-29, then you are not entitled, the considered it a settlement cos most organizations pay 7 days in Liu notice... Most private organizations ask for 1 month notice or pay 1 month .

Your story no too clear, but it seems you want to drag a false sense of entitlement... Make they no come clear your doubt finish... Take the 1 month pay and bounce to other better things...

I will give you genuine advice on workplace issues, exit entitlement etc only if you are ready to come clean .. if you twist stories to suit you and I advice you, you take up the matter, na kirikiri you de go so... But if you come clean, I will give you genuine advice on fighting for your right or allowing it slide...
Re: Please Lawyers In The House, Can I Sue My Employer? by flourishing247: 4:31pm On Jan 19, 2023
siraj1402:

Thanks

Depends on why you were sacked.
Re: Please Lawyers In The House, Can I Sue My Employer? by Advision: 9:42pm On Jan 19, 2023
siraj1402:
Pls MOD

Your appointment was terminated middle of the month. In reality what they owe is 1/2 month salary. Dont because of 1/2 month salary damage the possibility of a good reference in future. Your next employer will likely check with them before your confirmation or job offer

1 Like

Re: Please Lawyers In The House, Can I Sue My Employer? by Justiceleague1: 10:38pm On Jan 19, 2023
Something tells me you are a wicked person
Re: Please Lawyers In The House, Can I Sue My Employer? by ImoleNaija: 11:18pm On Jan 19, 2023
Advision:

Your appointment was terminated middle of the month. In reality what they owe is 1/2 month salary. Dont because of 1/2 month salary damage the possibility of a good reference in future. Your next employer will likely check with them before your confirmation or job offer.

Whenever I see the bolded in comments, I just laugh grin.
Re: Please Lawyers In The House, Can I Sue My Employer? by flourishing247: 6:20am On Jan 20, 2023
ImoleNaija:

Whenever I see the bolded in comments, I just laugh grin.

It happens. Some organisations might require you to get references from your last place of work.
Re: Please Lawyers In The House, Can I Sue My Employer? by Everbryte: 5:49pm On Jan 20, 2023
So the one month salary payment is in lieu of one Month resignation/termination notice.
Since this was contained in your employment or contract letter/agreement as applicable to both employee/employer, when they pay you the one Month salary, acknowledge it and and ask them when you are getting paid for the number of days(state it clearly) you worked this Month before the sudden termination.

You may engage a lawyer to write for you. Also if you feel that your appointment termination did not follow the normal HR process - fair hearing/ query/ panel etc if those are part of it, you can challenge it, even if you were guilty

All the best

tunapawizzy:
why was ur appointment terminated..normally you only get paid for the period you work for the company, except otherwise stated.
That clause u mentioned is usually applicable if YOU are resigning from your job. In your case, your employment was terminated.
Talk to a lawyer sha, and read the terms of your contract very well.
You can sue if your employment was wrongly terminated but i am not sure about the company giving u 1month notice or paying u 1 month benefit

(1) (2) (Reply)

First Photos From The All Nigerian Society Of Engineers General Meeting In Awka / Nigerian Native, Agbede Owns Biggest Black Engineering Firm In The US / IPS Uniport Past Questions And Answers

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.