Stats: 3,151,081 members, 7,811,031 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 09:15 PM

Forgotten Players In Nigerian Soccer - Sports (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Forgotten Players In Nigerian Soccer (101981 Views)

Nigerian Soccer Star, Olubayo Adefemi Dies In Car Crash / Does The English Premier League Kill Nigerian Soccer Stars Or Make Them. / List Of Nigerian Soccer Players That Back Flip (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (13) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Forgotten Players In Nigerian Soccer by HNIC(m): 9:49am On Oct 10, 2008
stanloski:

I think for nicknames there are two i really love- I will post the nickname and i want sharp guys to give me the players names:

A player called "ZION TRAIN" hint- he was in the all conquering NNB side of the 80s and the secone one was called "TEN-TEN" also a member of NNB and eagles at Maroc 88. any takers? grin

ps what of Duke Udi and Gideon Imagbudu?
Not difficult at all
Zion Train was Samson Ozogula and Ten Ten was Bright Omokaro
Re: Forgotten Players In Nigerian Soccer by jeshua(m): 7:05pm On Oct 13, 2008
please what of reuben agboola, the guy who helped us qualify for world cup and yet totally forgotten. Tha oyinbo guy before any Odenwegie showed up embarassed
Re: Forgotten Players In Nigerian Soccer by jeshua(m): 7:08pm On Oct 13, 2008
i hear say one of the 1989 saudi squad now sells petrol along the express? may be na lie, wetin be the yoruba guys name sef? i no remember
cry
Re: Forgotten Players In Nigerian Soccer by Akolawole(m): 11:48pm On Oct 13, 2008
HNIC:

Not difficult at all
Zion Train was Samson Ozogula and Ten Ten was Bright Omokaro

You must be older than Metusella grin

Big Head Ozogula and hls best Pal Clement Temile
Re: Forgotten Players In Nigerian Soccer by Finally: 11:55pm On Oct 13, 2008
jeshua:

please what of reuben agboola, the guy who helped us qualify for world cup and yet totally forgotten. Tha oyinbo guy before any Odenwegie showed up embarassed

I believe Reuben was dropped for Ben Iroha after we lost 2 : 1 to the Ivoriens in Abidjan.
Re: Forgotten Players In Nigerian Soccer by HNIC(m): 11:07am On Oct 14, 2008
Akolawole:

You must be older than Metusella grin
Big Head Ozogula and hls best Pal Clement Temile
I have been a footie follower for a while now!!! grin
Naija football homefront was interesting back in the days.
I was a fanatical 'Sooting star' follower and of course remember most of the stars.
Re: Forgotten Players In Nigerian Soccer by Akolawole(m): 1:40pm On Oct 14, 2008
So you be "omo sutin" abi?

I am always a Odd man, I support Sutin but most family members support Leventis United.

Today, i am a chelsean but most of my Pals and my iyawos support Arsenal cry
Re: Forgotten Players In Nigerian Soccer by candylips(m): 10:47am On Nov 11, 2008
Na wa o. Those names bring back memories
Re: Forgotten Players In Nigerian Soccer by ikeyman00(m): 11:17am On Nov 11, 2008
Today, i am a chelsean but most of my Pals and my iyawos support Arsenal

hmm
Re: Forgotten Players In Nigerian Soccer by ow11(m): 12:32pm On Nov 11, 2008
The West Ham LB Herika Ilunga reminds me of Haruna Ilerika.

Some more former youth team 'stars'

Edward Anyamkyegh
Manga Mohammed
Kingsley Obiekwu
Shehu Mohammed (2001 eaglets captain, bags of skill)
Ikemefuna Ozuah
Kenneth Boboye
Eddy Dombraye
Re: Forgotten Players In Nigerian Soccer by yommys01(m): 1:00pm On Nov 11, 2008
Blessing Kaku is one of those forgotten players. He once played for Bolton but he is no where to be found right now.
Re: Forgotten Players In Nigerian Soccer by category(m): 12:17pm On Nov 13, 2008
Nice trend though i'm late here
Thompson Oliha
Eric Ejiofor
Victor Brown
Michael Emenalo
Chidi Nwano
Efan Ikoku
Philip Osondu
Oladimiji Lawal
Uche Okafor
Karimu Shuaibu
Suleman Muhammed
Gbenga Okunowo
Furo Iyenemi
Christopher Kanu
Blessing Kaku

Re: Forgotten Players In Nigerian Soccer by diggler(m): 1:37pm On Nov 14, 2008
category:

Nice trend though i'm late here
Thompson Oliha
Eric Ejiofor
Victor Brown
Michael Emenalo
Chidi Nwano
Efan Ikoku
Philip Osondu
Oladimiji Lawal
Uche Okafor
Karimu Shuaibu
Suleman Muhammed
Gbenga Okunowo
Furo Iyenemi
Christopher Kanu
Blessing Kaku
@Category
GRRRRRRRRRRRRR        I feel like strangling u                 LOL
NICE ONE

Okunowo went straight to barcelona or sporting from 3sc for a recor tranfer fee then (heard it was upto $1million)

Eric Ejiofor______Mr Red Card

Victor Brown______saw this dude in jasper utd trading tackles in 1995 a whole six years before 2001 u17 world cup (maybe he was 10, u know too big for his age)

others include but not limited to;

Ajibade babalade
Patrick Pascal
Dondo Avaa
John Aranka
Soga Sambo
Musa Abubarkar
Peter Ijeh
Emeka 'ayaya' nwanna
Segun Abiodun
Dominic Oruma
Ogbonna kanu
Azubuike oliseh__________last three was when senior Prefect Sunday wanted to make eagles shirt a family property.
Chukwudi Nwogu

Issac okoronkwo______what manner of defender (headline about him after a string of own goals)

there was this ugly ass ex-enyimba defender that was Christian Chukwus man when he was eagle manager, cant rember the name now.

Will consult the archives for more_____l8az
Re: Forgotten Players In Nigerian Soccer by Seun(m): 8:53pm On Dec 12, 2008
moderator, i want to know why i found this thread in the recycle bin.
Re: Forgotten Players In Nigerian Soccer by Nobody: 10:17pm On Dec 12, 2008
do u guys remember Chibuzor ehilegbu,John Chidozie,Uche Okechukwu ,Richard Owubokiri
and a very rugged defender in 1993 by name Herbert Anijekwu.
Keshi wan not part of the 1988 bsquad.
he refused to show up cos he had turned pro and demanded for a private jet to come pick him.
manfred Hoener dropped him and went for new players
Re: Forgotten Players In Nigerian Soccer by funshofako(m): 11:12pm On Jan 04, 2009
I remember the Suting stars team of those days as a fan myself and the JB team as well
Abdulahi Heyman
Ajibade Babalade
Edith Agoye
Benedith "surugede" Ugwu
Bright Omokaro
Cyracus Ndukwe
Shakiru Giwa
Ikpowonsa omoregie
Monday Agbontaen
Roland Ewere
Patrick paschal
patrick Ovie
leye Akinde
Tunji Adeyemi
Dotun Alatishe
Imama Amakpabo
Victor Gbenebiche
Amir Angwe
Edema Fuludu
Abdul Sule
Mike Obi
Humphrey Jebba
Kenneth ugorji
Tony Gbemudu
Arthur madueme
Baldwin Bazuaye

this list can really go on for a long time
Re: Forgotten Players In Nigerian Soccer by medikhelp: 11:37pm On Jan 17, 2009
Guys thanks for this thread. Let's really go down the memory lane. Pre-pre Westerhoff.  I challenge anyone to name the Green Eagles line up that trashed Egypt 4-0 in Lagos in 1977 and the Bendel Insurance line up that destroyed Mighty "Shootin and Rangers" in 1978 Challenge Cup.

Hints:
1977 Eagles: Annas Ahmed, Patrick Ekeji, Of course, Africa's best outside right EVER 'Segun Odegbami, Chief Justice Adokiye Amiesimaka, Kelechi Emetiole. Mathematical Odegbami destroyed Egypt on that day.
1978 'Bendel': Joseph Eghareba, Christopher Ogwu, Felix Agbonifo, Left legged and blockbuster Henry Ogboe.

Any takers? Post westerfoff fans, log off now!!!!
Re: Forgotten Players In Nigerian Soccer by dayokanu(m): 12:41am On Jan 18, 2009
Me na Onigbinde/ Manfred Hoener time me i start to dey watch Naija footie well
Re: Forgotten Players In Nigerian Soccer by Sauron1: 1:02am On Jan 18, 2009
dayokanu:

Me na Onigbinde/ Manfred Hoener time me i start to dey watch Naija footie well

You are a baby.
I started watching in the early 80s
Felix Owolabi, Muda Lawal, Segun Odegbami etc.
Re: Forgotten Players In Nigerian Soccer by funshofako(m): 3:47pm On Jan 18, 2009
Me sef na the Manfred Hoener and Clemens Westerhof time i begin watch football.My first Naija League game wey i attend na Up Sooting against Iwuanyanwu Nationale at Ibadan in 1989.Those were the Mike Obi,dimunitive Ibe Johnson, Golden Ajeboh dayz.
Re: Forgotten Players In Nigerian Soccer by shinystar(m): 1:50am On Jan 25, 2009
Have we forgotten Duke Udi, Olumide Harris, this their midfieldier who played in Belgium after the famous fumbling and wobbling 1995 U-20 fiasco?
Re: Forgotten Players In Nigerian Soccer by Nobody: 4:46am On Jan 25, 2009
I remember Victor Igbinoba, Peter Knokwachi.

Where are the 'stars' now?
Alloy Agu, Rufai, Yekini ?
Re: Forgotten Players In Nigerian Soccer by manu4laif: 3:04pm On Jan 25, 2009
medikhelp:

Guys thanks for this thread. Let's really go down the memory lane. Pre-pre Westerhoff.  I challenge anyone to name the Green Eagles line up that trashed Egypt 4-0 in Lagos in 1977 and the Bendel Insurance line up that destroyed Mighty "Shootin and Rangers" in 1978 Challenge Cup.

Hints:
1977 Eagles: Annas Ahmed, Patrick Ekeji, Of course, Africa's best outside right EVER 'Segun Odegbami, Chief Justice Adokiye Amiesimaka, Kelechi Emetiole. Mathematical Odegbami destroyed Egypt on that day.
1978 'Bendel': Joseph Eghareba, Christopher Ogwu, Felix Agbonifo, Left legged and blockbuster Henry Ogboe.

Any takers? Post westerfoff fans, log off now!!!!

Nice thread.
Please add:
Moses Otolorin, Idowu Otubusen(slow poison?), Ogbein Fawole, Samuel Ojebode, Ifeanyi Onyedika, Godwin Odiye, Patrick Ekeji, Alloy Atuegbu, Emma Okala, Kunle Awesu, Haruna Ilerika, Ogidi Ibeabuchi. More?
Re: Forgotten Players In Nigerian Soccer by Akolawole(m): 2:52pm On Jan 26, 2009
~Sauron~:

You are a baby.
I started watching in the early 80s
Felix Owolabi, Muda Lawal, Segun Odegbami etc.

Dont tell me you are in your 20's.

You should be in late 30's or probably a grandpa.
Re: Forgotten Players In Nigerian Soccer by akinalabi(m): 4:16pm On Jan 26, 2009
bennygee:

do u guys remember Chibuzor ehilegbu,John Chidozie,Uche Okechukwu ,Richard Owubokiri
and a very rugged defender in 1993 by name Herbert Anijekwu.
Keshi wan not part of the 1988 bsquad.
he refused to show up cos he had turned pro and demanded for a private jet to come pick him.
manfred Hoener dropped him and went for new players

WRONG!

He was part of the squad. He played the first match against
Kenya, flew to Belgium and came back to play the final against
Cameroun.

Re: Forgotten Players In Nigerian Soccer by dayokanu(m): 5:37pm On Jan 26, 2009
@Akola,

Dont mind sharon. wetin the guy know.
Even Onigbinde time self I no too remember Na China 85 I start to follow and remember games well.
Re: Forgotten Players In Nigerian Soccer by honeric01(m): 6:00pm On Jan 26, 2009
Great thread!!! More please, my mouth is watering lol.
Re: Forgotten Players In Nigerian Soccer by funshofako(m): 1:15am On Jan 27, 2009
Stephen Keshi was DEF on the Maroc 88 squad. i remember vividly.I remember Herbert Anijekwu,he was alo at Algiers 90.dude was very rugged

Re: Forgotten Players In Nigerian Soccer by ego1dola: 1:33am On Jan 27, 2009
nothing has been said about late felix Agbonifo of the then bendel insurance. why why why why
he was rank 7th at 1979 africa best player of the year,
Re: Forgotten Players In Nigerian Soccer by ego1dola: 1:42am On Jan 27, 2009
why was felix Agbonifo excluded from the green eagles team of 1980 nations cup?
dying to know, because i was a dying fan of is,
Re: Forgotten Players In Nigerian Soccer by OJOOLA1(m): 5:40pm On Jan 31, 2009
have you guys forgotten Ademola Adesina?
Re: Forgotten Players In Nigerian Soccer by ota2: 2:40am On Mar 19, 2009
What happened to Mark Anunobi? So far, no one has mentioned his name even when he played alongside Waidi, Kingsley Onye, et al.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (13) (Reply)

Anthony Joshua’s Punch Cut Andy Ruiz In Left Eye In Rematch (Photos) / Messi Shaves His Beard As Enthusiastic Barca Stars Train Before La Liga Return / Nigeria Vs Algeria CAF U23 Championship Finals (2 - 1) On 12th December 2015