Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,125 members, 7,829,004 topics. Date: Wednesday, 15 May 2024 at 05:19 PM

Avoid Office Politics At All Costs." I DISAGREE - That Advice Will Kill You - Jobs/Vacancies (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / Avoid Office Politics At All Costs." I DISAGREE - That Advice Will Kill You (9224 Views)

I Need To Leave My Confort Zone, Pls Ur Advice Will Help / John's Story: How To Navigate Office Politics / Office Politics (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Avoid Office Politics At All Costs." I DISAGREE - That Advice Will Kill You by Nobody: 3:53pm On Jan 20, 2023
Rubyjade:
Avoid office politics at all costs."
I DISAGREE - that advice will kill your career.
You need to play office politics to succeed ❗❗

In 2015, a senior leader taught me how to 'play' the game when I was transferred to a leadership job in a new country.

- He told me who to befriend in the corporate hierarchy.
- He took me through their individual agendas.
- He gave me the best approach for each person.

When I played the game, my career skyrocketed �
When I didn’t play it, it cost me my career ❌

Here are 4 ways to ‘play the game’.

1️⃣ Understand the culture and hierarchy.

Ignorance is NOT bliss. If you want to be recognised or need support for your projects, you need to know who the decision-makers are and get clear on their agenda.

2️⃣ Demonstrate your value.

By working hard and helping others, you’ll earn respect. Speak up in meetings, share ideas and make everyone feel included - the corporate game can be cutthroat - don't be seen as docile.

3️⃣ Learn soft skills.

Hard skills are trained and measurable. Soft skills are intangible but will help you understand, empathise and connect with people on deeper levels. If you need coaching on this, invest in it!

4️⃣ Spread positive energy.

If you make people feel good and ooze positivity, people will want you on their team and you'll win more opportunities. Avoid being the pessimist. Offer solutions, don't just highlight problems.

Office politics is like a game of chess ♟️

Play it well and you win. Ignore it and you lose.

It's not a fumble. What you listed are the traits I developed in my former place of work before I was promoted to the top. The funniest thing is that these traits are already in-built; I don't need to fake it. They came naturally...

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Avoid Office Politics At All Costs." I DISAGREE - That Advice Will Kill You by kingimmade: 3:59pm On Jan 20, 2023
office politics must be done with caution

1 Like

Re: Avoid Office Politics At All Costs." I DISAGREE - That Advice Will Kill You by LugardD1: 4:08pm On Jan 20, 2023
Working smart is the key bro

1 Like

Re: Avoid Office Politics At All Costs." I DISAGREE - That Advice Will Kill You by sulakishop(m): 4:21pm On Jan 20, 2023
Office politics is unhealthy, disturbing and sometimes disgusting

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Avoid Office Politics At All Costs." I DISAGREE - That Advice Will Kill You by Fiscus105(m): 4:21pm On Jan 20, 2023
Before you play office politics, make sure you know ur worth,......are you sine qua non in that organization? If not it will backfire,most especially if u don't hang on the side of those who really own power in the office.

1 Like

Re: Avoid Office Politics At All Costs." I DISAGREE - That Advice Will Kill You by phemmyfour: 4:35pm On Jan 20, 2023
Rubyjade:

In 2015, a senior leader taught me how to 'play' the game when I was transferred to a leadership job in a new country.

Ignorance is NOT bliss. If you want to be recognised or need support for your projects, you need to know who the decision-makers are and get clear on their agenda.

By working hard and helping others, you’ll earn respect. Speak up in meetings, share ideas and make everyone feel included - the corporate game can be cutthroat - don't be seen as docile.

3️⃣ Learn soft skills.

Hard skills are trained and measurable. Soft skills are intangible but will help you understand, empathise and connect with people on deeper levels. If you need coaching on this, invest in it!

If you make people feel good and ooze positivity, people will want you on their team and you'll win more opportunities. Avoid being the pessimist. Offer solutions, don't just highlight problems.

If your future is buried in that office, you can practice it...but if you have future beyond the office, you LL avoid it

2 Likes

Re: Avoid Office Politics At All Costs." I DISAGREE - That Advice Will Kill You by fkj950ax(m): 4:44pm On Jan 20, 2023
Rubyjade:

Get to the office daily
Do your job properly
Get paid
Go home

Rinse and repeat

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Avoid Office Politics At All Costs." I DISAGREE - That Advice Will Kill You by jojothaiv(m): 4:47pm On Jan 20, 2023
NothingDoMe:
Well said.

I've seen so called office politics at play where the least qualified personnel is promoted because he plays office politics.

Life is beyond the office. Like the poster above me says, office politics often generate bad blood. People have been beaten up because of this and some even lost their life.

Do your job diligently. Keep a cordial relationship with everyone including your boss. Don't try to get ahead of others by going to wash his car or running errands for your boss' wife.
Good one.

Recommendations or not, I just want to do the job and get going with my life. There's no point dabbling into office politics if you ask me.

2 Likes

Re: Avoid Office Politics At All Costs." I DISAGREE - That Advice Will Kill You by placeofallure(f): 5:08pm On Jan 20, 2023
NothingDoMe:
Well said.

I've seen so called office politics at play where the least qualified personnel is promoted because he plays office politics.

Life is beyond the office. Like the poster above me says, office politics often generate bad blood. People have been beaten up because of this and some even lost their life.

Do your job diligently. Keep a cordial relationship with everyone including your boss. Don't try to get ahead of others by going to wash his car or running errands for your boss' wife.

Your last sentence is what I hate the most about office politics. I don't know where my boss lives, wetin I dey find? I keep things official, no camaraderie.

I first got the award of the staff of the year in my second year or so, what some have never smelled for the many years of service they've put in. Naturally you'll attract bad blood but I am a hard worker. I solve problems and my boss, despite that we've fought silent wars many times, cannot do without me. I'm not the secretary, I do the secretary's work; I'm not the HR personnel, I do HR work, I'm not the team leader, I do oga's work. I do many things outside my portfolio so that respect is there. And the rest of the staff too know this.

My boss is not firm. The Vice boss a woman, though firmer, is a witch. She knows all the things I do, she can't do them, she hates my gut but she needs me, hence, she has resolved to fighting in a subtle way. Not pride, but I'm also determined that I won't go it her way, I believe in due diligence. Because of that at times she deprives me of little benefits here and there, I ignore her for the most times but I confront her at other times. That's the way the politicking goes.

All of us are employees. I don't compromise standards. I make sure that I do my job well so when they call for the records, I'm not found wanting. There's no politics more than that.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Avoid Office Politics At All Costs." I DISAGREE - That Advice Will Kill You by placeofallure(f): 5:11pm On Jan 20, 2023
updatechange:
winkSomeone once told me that, “eye service is allowed o”. So what is politics? smiley

I will do the right thing whether the boss is there or not. I don't believe in eye service but I know people like us don't last in Nigeria.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Avoid Office Politics At All Costs." I DISAGREE - That Advice Will Kill You by Phemzeal(f): 5:15pm On Jan 20, 2023
I got pushed out because I didn't play the game. My boss then was in south Korea while we work with him remotely from Nigeria. He wanted me to be a snitch but i turned it down.... shocked I then became the target.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Avoid Office Politics At All Costs." I DISAGREE - That Advice Will Kill You by optm(m): 5:16pm On Jan 20, 2023
Organizations that allow office politics thrive would in a matter of time die out. Office politics creates a toxic work environment, workers dissatisfaction, unfit appointments into positions and all these are unhealthy and detrimental to the growth of every organization.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Avoid Office Politics At All Costs." I DISAGREE - That Advice Will Kill You by Nobody: 5:27pm On Jan 20, 2023
Embrace it with your full chest!!!
That's how you survive
Re: Avoid Office Politics At All Costs." I DISAGREE - That Advice Will Kill You by JaskanFactor: 5:36pm On Jan 20, 2023
i can only offer you my personal career opinion after nearly 30 year career most of it with international tech companies as robotics engineer, but most of last decade been self employed working from home.

After struggling for years and starting to see some light at the end of the tunnel in my self employed path, i can honestly tell you the difference between working in an office along with all the politics compared to working for yourself, is like the difference between having a personal toilet versus being in a situation where you only have access to public toilet

Cause a lot of what you are calling office politics is bad juju, bad energy, some of the people in those offices hate each other more than armed soldiers in thr front liner of war, but the soldiers have it better cause they dont need to learn to smile over a volcano of hate hidden inside.

The office place is where a lot of wicked little children finally grow to able to accomplish their dream of torturing other people.

Its an immoral competition environment with very negative dark energy to the extent that some say there are more demons by day lurking in offices to suck up hate ,than any grave yard in the dead of night.

I always advice people, work towards being able to choose what you do and where you work , and around whom you work, that way all the crazy politics people can be kept far away at safe distance from your mental sanity.

Cause if you mother gave birth to you in such a way that what you mean is what you say, the crazy office people will say you are not a team player.

There is no enthusiasm to be gained from trying to climb the matrix cooperate ladder, there is nothing there.

You are either gona loose the politics and your job, or you win the politics and loose your soul.

Or you could just be yourself, speak your mind , and keep your soul.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Avoid Office Politics At All Costs." I DISAGREE - That Advice Will Kill You by updatechange(m): 6:36pm On Jan 20, 2023
placeofallure:

I will do the right thing whether the boss is there or not. I don't believe in eye service but I know people like us don't last in Nigeria.

Yes that’s the key… always find something right to do… when you do the right thing and at the right time, you will be caught unaware and that’s the kinda eye service I’m really talking about. Not the docile type that won’t act until the boss show up.
Re: Avoid Office Politics At All Costs." I DISAGREE - That Advice Will Kill You by sowilli: 7:36pm On Jan 20, 2023
Understand the hierarchy, let your value show in the face of core decision makers and have a sponsor in the leadership you are loyal to.

1 Like

Re: Avoid Office Politics At All Costs." I DISAGREE - That Advice Will Kill You by OdefaGirl(f): 7:42pm On Jan 20, 2023
NothingDoMe:
Well said.

I hope this is different from being Boss's favourite? When you are your Boss's favourite, you would be needed most times, sometimes given some other person's job to do even though it might be choking you grin. Hope others don't see you as one playing politics?
Re: Avoid Office Politics At All Costs." I DISAGREE - That Advice Will Kill You by NothingDoMe: 8:01pm On Jan 20, 2023
placeofallure:

Your last sentence is what I hate the most about office politics. I don't know where my boss lives, wetin I dey find? I keep things official, no camaraderie.

I first got the award of the staff of the year in my second year or so, what some have never smelled for the many years of service they've put in. Naturally you'll attract bad blood but I am a hard worker. I solve problems and my boss, despite that we've fought silent wars many times, cannot do without me. I'm not the secretary, I do the secretary's work; I'm not the HR personnel, I do HR work, I'm not the team leader, I do oga's work. I do many things outside my portfolio so that respect is there. And the rest of the staff too know this.

My boss is not firm. The Vice boss a woman, though firmer, is a witch. She knows all the things I do, she can't do them, she hates my gut but she needs me, hence, she has resolved to fighting in a subtle way. Not pride, but I'm also determined that I won't go it her way, I believe in due diligence. Because of that at times she deprives me of little benefits here and there, I ignore her for the most times but I confront her at other times. That's the way the politicking goes.

All of us are employees. I don't compromise standards. I make sure that I do my job well so when they call for the records, I'm not found wanting. There's no politics more than that.
Well said. When Seun gives us clapping emoji na you I go first clap for. You know your worth.
Re: Avoid Office Politics At All Costs." I DISAGREE - That Advice Will Kill You by NothingDoMe: 8:10pm On Jan 20, 2023
OdefaGirl:

I hope this is different from being Boss's favourite? When you are your Boss's favourite, you would be needed most times, sometimes given some other person's job to do even though it might be choking you grin. Hope others don't see you as one playing politics?
The boss might tend to favour certain employees because they make their work life easy. However if the employee starts to cozy up with the boss because of this, then politics don enter.
Re: Avoid Office Politics At All Costs." I DISAGREE - That Advice Will Kill You by DonroxyII: 9:08pm On Jan 20, 2023
Rubyjade:

3️⃣ Learn soft skills.

I don't set to Hurt anybody But I don't Set to Get Hurt Neither ....

I Play Office Politics like Mad ... If you Dull dem go use your head break Coconut and Still leave you to Your Wraths in the Hospital while they Move on Like Nothing Happened !

Office Politics is a Must for those who wants to Climb the Corporate Ladder Nevertheless Join the Winning Team and Once Your Junior has the ears and Eyes of your Boss ... He/She is Your Boss, Play it well with Him/Her else ... You go see wheeen grin

1 Like

Re: Avoid Office Politics At All Costs." I DISAGREE - That Advice Will Kill You by DonroxyII: 9:12pm On Jan 20, 2023
atobs4real:
Avoid it totally. it's not good for any staff. it's a dirty thing or comes dirty when discusing it
It's Unavoidable:

It's like saying A card Carrying Member of Apc, PDP, SDP, LP should avoid Politics ... why are they Carrying Cards if no be to win elections:

It's called Corporate Politics ... if you no do am .. Dem go Bring am to You ... if You Don't Belong and play safe Game you would be tagged disloyal and before you Realise they will start scheming against You and preparing for your boot out ...

But with God and Wisdom as well as Technical Competency You will always Win the Office Politics!
Re: Avoid Office Politics At All Costs." I DISAGREE - That Advice Will Kill You by DonroxyII: 9:16pm On Jan 20, 2023
Grandlord:

Well, before your group/clique gets out of power you should have already seen it and strategized on how to move to the new group in power. That way you stay afloat and on top of the game cool
Cross Carpeting is Allowed infact new group would even love you because everyone will jumpship one after the other to the newest group in Power ....

Let the weyrey continue grin

1 Like

Re: Avoid Office Politics At All Costs." I DISAGREE - That Advice Will Kill You by Grandlord: 9:22pm On Jan 20, 2023
DonroxyII:
Cross Carpeting is Allowed infact new group would even love you because everyone will jumpship one after the other to the newest group in Power ....

Let the weyrey continue grin

I swear. It's all a game. No hard feelings grin

1 Like

Re: Avoid Office Politics At All Costs." I DISAGREE - That Advice Will Kill You by DonroxyII: 9:23pm On Jan 20, 2023
placeofallure:

You will last now but they will use you till you were worn out .... grin

Me ehn, Na only my work I dey do despite I'm the most technical in my work place while I dedicated the remaining time for my academic and professional advancement in my latter years when competing for the top because not Mere experience would get you to the top ....

Infact if they have problems that I can solve I would prefer they call someone from outside because Once they know you can tweak it all .. You become the Plug and badbelle from Colleagues Begin and Lack of Peacefulness would Hinder my Personal Growth and Developments.....

The Politics is for me to Mapped it all then Do only my Portion except a Colleague need Help which shall be granted with insider info and tatafo as Exchange ... You have to Know what everyone's motive is all about .... Be friends to Everyone and No-one!

I no wan reach 50s and look back then become frustrated due to time mismanagement!
Re: Avoid Office Politics At All Costs." I DISAGREE - That Advice Will Kill You by DonroxyII: 9:34pm On Jan 20, 2023
Grandlord:

I swear. It's all a game. No hard feelings grin
At all ... I was a Novice and a Jew when a Boss used my Head and a colleague who is My 2IC(Right hand Woman) Recorded my Voice and Play it to Other Colleagues while I was Telling Her to Monitor their works Adequately ...

With Her I knew the word "Femme Fatale" ... Some woman or Lady would cozy up to You as friend to gain Info from you which you would think is Love then use the information Against You to Climb the Ladder grin ....

Office Politics is the best way to learn life lessons ... Dem made me a Man .... Infact No be By Juju to survive na God because where your Juju end na where your boss own dey start grin ....

If your boss Juju pass your Juju aswear you go wash ihm car and flush toilet for am ... because Big devil dey molest small devil but no evil can touch God's People wey come wise Join !

I don see Shege and I don show them Shege too grin ... E sweet sha ... see Offensive and Counter Offensive... Me na Referee oo ....

One stupid boy dey play triangular games... e go bring info to me then carry my own go give another Person who will now carry everything go give the Bearer of that Info .... Chaiii ... Na ihm I Whistle-blow the Mumu wey wan cast me ... e face Panel, I Absent myself .... From then na Respect e dey give me ... Carry info come again and Be Damned ...

Before your fire me I go light your ass make you feel Ya fire Small grin ...

Me like am sha ... e dey make man dey wise and see life and human from Raw Perspectives!

1 Like

Re: Avoid Office Politics At All Costs." I DISAGREE - That Advice Will Kill You by Grandlord: 9:45pm On Jan 20, 2023
DonroxyII:
At all ... I was a Novice and a Jew when a Boss used my Head and a colleague who is My 2IC(Right hand Woman) Recorded my Voice and Play it to Other Colleagues while I was Telling Her to Monitor their works Adequately ...

With Her I knew the word "Femme Fatale" ... Some woman or Lady would cozy up to You as friend to gain Info from you which you would think is Love then use the information Against You to Climb the Ladder grin ....

Office Politics is the best way to learn life lessons ... Dem made me a Man .... Infact No be By Juju to survive na God because where your Juju end na where your boss own dey start grin ....

If your boss Juju pass your Juju aswear you go wash ihm car and flush toilet for am ... because Big devil dey molest small devil but no evil can touch God's People wey come wise Join !

I don see Shege and I don show them Shege too grin ... E sweet sha ... see Offensive and Counter Offensive... Me na Referee oo ....

One stupid boy dey play triangular games... e go bring info to me then carry my own go give another Person who will now carry everything go give the Bearer of that Info .... Chaiii ... Na ihm I Whistle-blow the Mumu wey wan cast me ... e face Panel, I Absent myself ....

Before your fire me I go light your ass make you feel Ya fire grin
You be OG for d game cheesy

No dulling o. If not dem go commot bread from your mouth put stone.

I watched with my eyes where a manager who came in newly, dethroned a director, took his place, and got him fired all within a month.

Sometimes no be say person wan harm others o, but that no mean say another person no dey plan bad thing for you. As for me eh, the kind 5D chess wey I dey play eh, nobody fit see my 5 steps ahead moves. Bad as e bad we go down together. Na life, don't take it personal.

You gat to dey alert at least to protect your position whether in the office, in business or anywhere cool

1 Like

Re: Avoid Office Politics At All Costs." I DISAGREE - That Advice Will Kill You by placeofallure(f): 10:06pm On Jan 20, 2023
NothingDoMe:
Well said. When Seun gives us clapping emoji na you I go first clap for. You know your worth.

grin
Re: Avoid Office Politics At All Costs." I DISAGREE - That Advice Will Kill You by khingTony(m): 10:43pm On Jan 20, 2023
NothingDoMe:
👏 you can clap now
Re: Avoid Office Politics At All Costs." I DISAGREE - That Advice Will Kill You by professore(m): 10:59pm On Jan 20, 2023
Here to learn
Re: Avoid Office Politics At All Costs." I DISAGREE - That Advice Will Kill You by DonroxyII: 11:05pm On Jan 20, 2023
Grandlord:

You be OG for d game cheesy

No dulling o. If not dem go commot bread from your mouth put stone.

I watched with my eyes where a manager who came in newly, dethroned a director, took his place, and got him fired all within a month.

Sometimes no be say person wan harm others o, but that no mean say another person no dey plan bad thing for you. As for me eh, the kind 5D chess wey I dey play eh, nobody fit see my 5 steps ahead moves. Bad as e bad we go down together. Na life, don't take it personal.

You gat to dey alert at least to protect your position whether in the office, in business or anywhere cool
Bro .. Aswear cool ... I'm still growing oo ... But I Learnt the Hard way sha !

learnt life lessons sha:

Be Battle Ready Don't let them catch You Weak or Unmanly even during Plays let them Feel Your Vibes no use all Ya body and mouth play cool

"Befriend with all Using Eye Services Only and

"Befriend with Non Deep Down Your Mind"

Corporate world na Street Forget the suits and ties and Posh English ... if you dull dem go hustle You, they can Kill You ... They ain't your Families Because everyone is there to Hustle ...

I don't set to hurt anyone and I'm not set to get Hurt and I'm ready to Hurt Anyone that wants to Hurt me!

Na office introduce God to Me wellwell ...

I have seen a Director who is a Paddi with CEO but on Wrong foot with CFO.. He used the CFO error to displaced his paddi CEO and CFO at a go grin ... Fiiannn like Film cheesy

He then Emerged the CEO himself grin ... His closeness to them was to get the working Operability and uses their errors to displace them by widening gaps between them and Oga at the Top grin ... Life na ! ... Betrayal everywhere!

Even when you be Oga ... Be Very careful with your inner caucus .... Some people are close to know what to use to depose You grin ...

Na Street Bro, Daily Bread things cheesy

2 Likes

Re: Avoid Office Politics At All Costs." I DISAGREE - That Advice Will Kill You by NothingDoMe: 11:52pm On Jan 20, 2023
placeofallure:

grin
👏 👏 👏 👏 👏 👏
Re: Avoid Office Politics At All Costs." I DISAGREE - That Advice Will Kill You by NothingDoMe: 11:55pm On Jan 20, 2023
khingTony:
👏 you can clap now
Niceee. Thanks bro.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Halliburton Test Format / NPOWER: Trying To Redeploy To Another State? Let’s Gather Here. / My Employer Short Paid Me, Please How Can I Recover: Help

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 127
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.