Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,765 members, 7,817,111 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 06:06 AM

50,000 Chickens Die In South African Farm Due To Prolonged Powercut (Pictures) - Agriculture (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / 50,000 Chickens Die In South African Farm Due To Prolonged Powercut (Pictures) (43131 Views)

West African Farm 'bootcamp' Gets Green Entrepreneurs Into Shape / Some Popular Species Of Chickens We Eat In Nigeria [PHOTOS] / Dry Season Yam Farm Due For Harvest By June 2018. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 50,000 Chickens Die In South African Farm Due To Prolonged Powercut (Pictures) by Illegal1(m): 5:04pm On Jan 21, 2023
Its alright....
Re: 50,000 Chickens Die In South African Farm Due To Prolonged Powercut (Pictures) by Victorclean1: 5:05pm On Jan 21, 2023
Kobonaire4:

Yes that is true...but at the end, it is not safe to eat an animal that has died by itself. For all we know, in addition to the cold, it was carrying a lot of stuff in it that contributed to the death.(autopsy will tell the true figure).

Agree. After autopsy , is better than the old layers chickens with no nutrients imported here, poisonous pomo prepared with burnt tired that causes colon cancer and smuggled frozen chickens from Cotonou. If free is far better than the common poisonous pomo consumed incessantly here.
Re: 50,000 Chickens Die In South African Farm Due To Prolonged Powercut (Pictures) by Victorclean1: 5:07pm On Jan 21, 2023
CheapHomes1:

Then you shouldn't have any problems answering the questions.

1. When you say "severe poverty", what do you mean? Is that your personal experience?

2. You can speak for yourself if you are in "severe poverty" here or is that how you collect dead chickens from poultry farmers here in Nigeria so as not to waste protein?

No probs, keep waiting for the answer while I seek ways to plead for the dead chickens to be brought here after autopsy.
Re: 50,000 Chickens Die In South African Farm Due To Prolonged Powercut (Pictures) by Taigaban: 5:07pm On Jan 21, 2023
wman:

South Africa usually have 24/7 electricity. What happened was an anomaly.
An animally to the extent of loosing 50,000 birds? This is not acceptable in business. So because they have electricity 24/7, there is no generator to rent in the entire South Africa? This is a serious management gap.
Re: 50,000 Chickens Die In South African Farm Due To Prolonged Powercut (Pictures) by maxiart2(m): 5:08pm On Jan 21, 2023
What a loss ๐Ÿ˜ฌ
Re: 50,000 Chickens Die In South African Farm Due To Prolonged Powercut (Pictures) by 175(m): 5:11pm On Jan 21, 2023
๐Ÿฅบ๐Ÿฅบ๐Ÿฅบ
Re: 50,000 Chickens Die In South African Farm Due To Prolonged Powercut (Pictures) by frog12: 5:16pm On Jan 21, 2023
it's good that way grin grin grin

ednut1:
Is there something wrong with the black race Since the blacks took over this country has been deteriorating slowly
Re: 50,000 Chickens Die In South African Farm Due To Prolonged Powercut (Pictures) by Pythagon(m): 5:19pm On Jan 21, 2023
Re: 50,000 Chickens Die In South African Farm Due To Prolonged Powercut (Pictures) by CheapHomes1: 5:21pm On Jan 21, 2023
Victorclean1:

No probs, keep waiting for the answer while I seek ways to plead for the dead chickens to be brought here after autopsy.

Then you shouldn't have any problems answering the questions.

1. When you say "severe poverty", what do you mean? Is that your personal experience?

2. You can speak for yourself if you are in "severe poverty" here or is that how you collect dead chickens from poultry farmers here in Nigeria so as not to waste protein?

3. Are you the one that bring the dead chickens here and take delivery of them?

4. Are you the one going to conduct& pay for the autopsy of the 50,000 chickens?
Re: 50,000 Chickens Die In South African Farm Due To Prolonged Powercut (Pictures) by ceaser: 5:23pm On Jan 21, 2023
cheesy. Chicken dey live inside AC (Air Conditioned room), but for obodo 9ja,na inside hot sun we dey always dey.

Chai Baba God.

ppogba:

Eskis sir.
SA having 24/7 power is a lie from the pit of hell. Now, most parts of SA have been on load shedding at least from the middle of last year. That is being modest.

Avail yourself of up to date news concerning Africa on BBC Africa Live daily.

I hope you would not argue further.

While it is true that SA have been on load shedding for quite sometime now, I will not entrust my whole repository of news and information in the hands of unrepentant colonialists who sees no way of propagating good news about their former colonies. The relationships they maintain with such colonies are not exactly borne out of sincerity if you must know. BBC is a British propaganda machine which is basically in favour of Britain.

Independent new sources abound in the social media space like you tube and Internet browsing. There you can get facts, usually unbiased about African affairs.

In fact, load shedding has recently been the bane of the UK itself with limitations in gas supply as a fall out of Russia-Ukraine war. But you won't see the UK say this on BBC Africa for Africans to hear, no. They will only say such news on their own media at home. Instead, they will broadcast to you a flawless utopia of their society. Accepted that their societies are well organized, but it is not what you as Africans can't achieve or even surpass if you put your minds to it. But the BBC Africa will rather broadcast to you a "troubled, backward, hopeless and unfortunate Africa".

1 Like

Re: 50,000 Chickens Die In South African Farm Due To Prolonged Powercut (Pictures) by Bantu10: 5:23pm On Jan 21, 2023
madridguy:
Some Nigerians sha grin Someone posted this picture on a group on facebook yesterday claiming their oga ask them to look for buyers otherwise no December and January salary for them.

It was posted in APC urchins Whatsapp group
Re: 50,000 Chickens Die In South African Farm Due To Prolonged Powercut (Pictures) by Kizyte(m): 5:24pm On Jan 21, 2023
benco9426:
This is collateral damage, I guess this wouldn't have happened in Nigeria, because we already knows we don't have stable light, so having a generator set is sure... Sorry to the owner of the farm
You can't see generator to buy. I traveled abroad, went to one of the biggest malls, saw cars and bikes for sale, but no generators.

2 Likes

Re: 50,000 Chickens Die In South African Farm Due To Prolonged Powercut (Pictures) by StrongAlphMale: 5:26pm On Jan 21, 2023
WannaHowzit:

๐Ÿ™†๐Ÿพโ€โ™‚๏ธ๐Ÿ™†๐Ÿพโ€โ™‚๏ธ๐Ÿ™†๐Ÿพโ€โ™‚๏ธ๐Ÿ˜‚

Dude that guy is right ๐Ÿ˜‚ Nigerians won't mind to buy those dead Chickens, repackaged it and resell it to Nigerians for final consumption.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: 50,000 Chickens Die In South African Farm Due To Prolonged Powercut (Pictures) by Orch1981: 5:26pm On Jan 21, 2023
olayiwola4u:

Brother, you are thinking like an average Nigeria.

Have you been to South Africa to see what is obtainable there in terms of electricity?
You are going too far he shld go to neighboring West Africa countries and see what is obtain there
Re: 50,000 Chickens Die In South African Farm Due To Prolonged Powercut (Pictures) by Benblaq(m): 5:27pm On Jan 21, 2023
madridguy:
Some Nigerians sha grin Someone posted this picture on a group on facebook yesterday claiming their oga ask them to look for buyers otherwise no December and January salary for them.
Just the same way APC media crew go about spewing gibberish everywhere. No insults.
Re: 50,000 Chickens Die In South African Farm Due To Prolonged Powercut (Pictures) by StrongAlphMale: 5:28pm On Jan 21, 2023
kernniejay:
That is a huge loss mehn! Such a massive poultry farm is supposed to have a stand-by generator or other alternative backup that is always ready to take over in case of an unexpected power outage.

SA isn't Nigeria bro, SA always have 24/7 electricity. So wetin dem wan use generator do? Perhaps you have never been to SA before I guess?
Re: 50,000 Chickens Die In South African Farm Due To Prolonged Powercut (Pictures) by Sweetvie: 5:29pm On Jan 21, 2023
Huge loss
Re: 50,000 Chickens Die In South African Farm Due To Prolonged Powercut (Pictures) by StrongAlphMale: 5:30pm On Jan 21, 2023
CheapHomes1:

This is how some of you make a fool of yourselves. Even here in Nigeria, where have you seen aboki using dead chicken for suya?

If aboki use dead chicken for suya. How will you know? Dem go tell you?

1 Like

Re: 50,000 Chickens Die In South African Farm Due To Prolonged Powercut (Pictures) by stuffs2002: 5:30pm On Jan 21, 2023
benco9426:
This is collateral damage, I guess this wouldn't have happened in Nigeria, because we already knows we don't have stable light, so having a generator set is sure... Sorry to the owner of the farm

More like sorry to the power company because the poultry farm will sue them
Re: 50,000 Chickens Die In South African Farm Due To Prolonged Powercut (Pictures) by ppogba: 5:35pm On Jan 21, 2023
madridguy:

That is the social media for you. Filled with lies.

I always wonder,.what do people really. get from being the first to lie to the whole world.
Recently, someone sent some rubbish that if you are told to thumb print before collecting your PVC then, you have voted during the election already.

Naija na wa
Re: 50,000 Chickens Die In South African Farm Due To Prolonged Powercut (Pictures) by ppogba: 5:39pm On Jan 21, 2023
StrongAlphMale:

SA isn't Nigeria bro, SA always have 24/7 electricity. So wetin dem wan use generator do? Perhaps you have never been to SA before I guess?

Eskis sir.
SA having 24/7 power is a lie from the pit of hell. Now, most parts of SA have been on load shedding at least from the middle of last year. That is being modest.

1 Like

Re: 50,000 Chickens Die In South African Farm Due To Prolonged Powercut (Pictures) by kaywhy09(m): 5:39pm On Jan 21, 2023
Chai shocked
Re: 50,000 Chickens Die In South African Farm Due To Prolonged Powercut (Pictures) by ppogba: 5:41pm On Jan 21, 2023
Kizyte:
You can't see generator to buy. I traveled abroad, went to one of the biggest malls, saw cars and bikes for sale, but no generators.

Is SA part of the abroad you are talking about?

1 Like

Re: 50,000 Chickens Die In South African Farm Due To Prolonged Powercut (Pictures) by Nobody: 5:43pm On Jan 21, 2023
Our lunch and dinner all gone.. cry cry cry

He should sue them for R2.5 million instead for killing our food with this constant load shedding... angry angry angry
WannaHowzit:
A poultry farmer in the North West Province of South Africa says he is planning to put in a 1.5 million rand (40.5 million naira) claim against the electricity provider Eskom after power disruptions at his farm killed an estimated 40 000 to 50 000 of his flock.

Herman du Preez, owner of the Frangipani Boerdery in Lichtenburg, told News24 on Thursday that it was difficult to know the exact death toll, as chickens were still dying.

Problems began in mid-December when problems with a transformer prompted Eskom to connect the area to another line, he said, but there had been variations in the voltage that damaged equipment such as pumps and motors.

Problems came to a head on Monday night, when insufficient voltage resulted in the air conditioning at one of the farm's chicken houses to shut down, he said. The farm has about 550 000 chickens.

"I'm busy with my homework. I'm waiting for reports from my electrician," said Du Preez. Eskom technicians had visited the farm on Wednesday in order to turn up the voltage, said Du Preez, but he added that he was now concerned about a surge if Eskom ultimately restores the area's transformer.

"So that's the next disaster that's going to happen," he said.

The continuation of Stage 6 load shedding (planned powercuts) in 2023 has sparked fears that disruptions in the agricultural supply chain could push up already elevated food prices and even result in shortages. ๐Ÿ”š

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.news24.com/amp/fin24/economy/see-farmer-to-put-r15m-claim-to-eskom-after-tens-of-thousands-of-chickens-killed-20230119
Re: 50,000 Chickens Die In South African Farm Due To Prolonged Powercut (Pictures) by arantess: 5:44pm On Jan 21, 2023
benco9426:
collateral damage?

how so?
Re: 50,000 Chickens Die In South African Farm Due To Prolonged Powercut (Pictures) by ufuosman(m): 5:45pm On Jan 21, 2023
Huge loss
Re: 50,000 Chickens Die In South African Farm Due To Prolonged Powercut (Pictures) by olayiwola4u(m): 5:48pm On Jan 21, 2023
Orch1981:

You are going too far he shld go to neighboring West Africa countries and see what is obtain there

Ooohhh
Re: 50,000 Chickens Die In South African Farm Due To Prolonged Powercut (Pictures) by WannaHowzit(m): 5:48pm On Jan 21, 2023
Samantha123:
Our lunch and dinner all gone.. cry cry cry

He should sue them for R2.5 million instead for killing our food with this constant load shedding... angry angry angry

Sadly suing Eskom is suing the SA public coz it's a state entity. And the public has footed the bill multiple times to bail out Eskom and just last week there was a 33% price hike over the next 2 years for consumers coz Eskom says it's got huge debts and it's getting more expensive to produce electricity coz of Ukraine and wat wat ๐Ÿ™„๐Ÿ™„๐Ÿ™„๐Ÿ˜ญ๐Ÿ˜ญ๐Ÿ˜ญ

1 Like 1 Share

Re: 50,000 Chickens Die In South African Farm Due To Prolonged Powercut (Pictures) by StrongAlphMale: 5:49pm On Jan 21, 2023
ppogba:

Eskis sir.

The problem with you Nigerians is that you love to argue alot and you probably feel and think there's no country better than Nigeria. Perhaps you dislike SA.

It's a good thing you said "some parts of SA". Now tell us if Nigeria dey get light or not? I'm not even talking about which parts of Nigeria, I'm talking about Nigeria as a whole, where light dey 24/7, in a week, month without NEPA acting stupid due to your bad government? You think SA is Nigeria.

I'm very sure you have never been to SA before, I'm even more sure you have never been out of Nigeria before, so arguing with you is just stupid and senseless.

Bros, compare nigeria to Ghana first in terms of electricity let alone comparing it to a whole SA.
Re: 50,000 Chickens Die In South African Farm Due To Prolonged Powercut (Pictures) by Thebigheart: 5:51pm On Jan 21, 2023
Imagine this lost of investment.
Re: 50,000 Chickens Die In South African Farm Due To Prolonged Powercut (Pictures) by StrongAlphMale: 5:52pm On Jan 21, 2023
ppogba:

Is SA part of the abroad you are talking about?

Wetin SA be before? Oga get rid of your hatred and bitterness and see the development and awesomeness of SA. If SA no be abroad Wetin e be before? Na village e be before.

Comparing Nigeria to SA is plain stupidity. Oga compare Nigeria to Togo first, then Kenya, Uganda, Mali, let alone Ghana how much more SA.

1 Like

Re: 50,000 Chickens Die In South African Farm Due To Prolonged Powercut (Pictures) by IbeOkehie: 5:53pm On Jan 21, 2023
This is how you know South Africa is in real trouble -

https://www.news24.com/fin24/economy/the-power-ship-has-sailed-govt-launches-another-procurement-process-for-gas-fired-generation-20230120

Government is planning to launch a procurement process for 3 000MW of gas-fired energy generation.
The National Energy Crisis Committee has recommended that government procure 9 500MW of new capacity by 2024.
Some of the new capacity will be procured on an emergency basis.

Government is trying to solve the problem, which means the problem will grow and multiply, for sure. grin

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Photos: My Catfish Pond / How To Start Snail Farming In Nigeria With Little Capital! / This Ginger Farm Will Produce Over A Million Naira Worth Of Ginger

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.