Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,608 members, 7,809,231 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 06:08 AM

Council Of State Okays Rejig Of Security System . - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Council Of State Okays Rejig Of Security System . (2930 Views)

Nima Elbagir Enters Sambisa Forest With The Aid Of Security Personnel. Photos / Presidency Orders Withdrawal Of Security Personnel From Politicians / Lamido Teases Amaechi At Council Of State Meeting (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Council Of State Okays Rejig Of Security System . by koruji(m): 1:47am On Sep 07, 2011
As always this obviously makes them feel like they are doing something useful, but the fact is that Nigeria is still in denial. Nothing short of fundamental changes to the structure and operation of this mess called Nigeria is going to solve our problems.

Quote: "National Security Adviser, Gen. Owoye Andrew Azazi, who briefed the meeting said that the issue of terrorism has not been brought under control because Nigeria was not prepared until now to tackle the menace of terrorism at the current level as[b] it was alien to the country[/b]."

Terrorism was alien to the country until now? What were all those BH attacks up north, Jos Inferno, ND militants? Thoughtful leaders would have known that the U.N. kind is what you prevent, not what you wait for to start singing about the "menace of terrorism".

Nothing will be achieved by assembling the same eggheads that have run down the country for a useless "peacock show" of feathers.

http://www.ngrguardiannews.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=60276:council-of-state-okays-rejig-of-security-system-&catid=1:national&Itemid=559

Wednesday, 07 September 2011 00:00 From Madu Onuorah, Abuja News

AN overhaul of  Nigeria’s security architecture was approved yesterday by the National Council of State in an emergency meeting in Abuja.

The nation’s top advisory body indeed put the issue of security on the front burner. National Security Adviser, Gen. Owoye Andrew Azazi, who briefed the meeting said that the issue of terrorism has not been brought under control because Nigeria was not prepared until now to tackle the menace of terrorism at the current level as it was alien to the country.

The National Council of State consists of the President, Vice President, Senate President, Speaker of House of Representatives, Chief Justice of the Federation, former Presidents and Heads of State and governors of the 36 states. Yesterday’s meeting, presided by President Goodluck Jonathan, was attended by former Presidents Shehu Shagari and Olusegun Obasanjo; former Head of State, Gen. Yakubu Gowon and most governors of the states.

Azazi, who briefed journalists along with the Governors of Benue (Gabriel Suswan), Cross Rier (Liyel Imoke) and Jigawa (Suleija Lamido) said that “I was asked to brief the Council on security issues across the country. We reviewed what we believe was the true situation. There are security issues all over, problems in the Niger Delta, crisis in Jos, kidnapping in parts of the country. But I think the focus was on what was considered topical at this point, the issue of explosives everywhere especially Police headquarters, UN building. And although there are claims as to who was responsible, the important thing is that we as a nation should realise that we are facing challenges that are relatively new to us. It has happened in different parts of the world but today it is happening in Nigeria. And we must resolve as a nation to solve these problems.

“There is a lot of sensation in the media as to what has been happening, people arrested, people not arrested, people who died and all that. The Police at some point will reveal names of  those who died, people arrested and as suspects are taken to court, you will get to know who is being prosecuted. But we don’t want to make the nation feel so unsafe. These problems of religious sect and all that could have started maybe over 15 years ago and they have escalated up to this point. The problem is that we were not, as a nation, prepared this new level of terrorism. The buildings we have, the public facilities we have, were not prepared for that. So, when these things happen there is a lot of devastation. All over the world especially after 9/11 and the July bombings in London, public facilities have been improved to give restricted access but we have not had that.

“To solve crime sometimes you need a national identity database. We are trying to put that together. We are talking of putting a strategy on protection of critical national infrastructure, what do we do, what guidelines do we give to the nation on what to do about them? We are talking of public enlightenment, is it possible to enlighten the Nigerian public to make them more aware of the challenges. The security challenges are here to stay but we don’t think they will go away over night, the more the public is aware of their responsibilities the better they partner the security services. If we are more aware you could pass the information to them, but the security services themselves must also improve. If you have not had a problem, it is difficult to find a solution over night. Even our attitude towards the public performance of our routine duties to all the security services, not just one security service, it could be the police, the SSS, the armed forces required an urgent review. We are discussing seriously how we want to meet the aspirations of the Nigerian public and to assure them of their safety. But we all know that at some point, it is always very difficult when you face these terrorists activities. But at least we want to make sure that the security services provide enough information from which you can produce intelligence; and to be more proactive. And once you are more proactive, you can do a lot to stem the tide.

“Today, as we see, a lot of work is being done by security services but when investigations are not complete it may not be the proper thing to expose the level of investigations to the media. But from time to time, we have tried to engage with the media either from the services themselves or myself, not necessarily publicly, but I have talked to the media persons at different levels. I have engaged the nation on security on radio talk shows to give the public certain level of confidence. A lot of issues were resolved but security is continous, you don’t take all the measures one day but the need is to create awareness even in the states, that even at their level they have to take measures to improve public safety all around the country. Generally, these were the issues that were addressed.”

Asked to state the specific issues towards tackling terrorism, Azazi said that “we recognize the need to rejig the security architecture, what are the steps to be put in place to make sure that the security services are more effective. We agreed on the use of technology and you don’t acquire those things overnight. Issues like registration of sim card are properly effected. We talked about border control, how to help the immigration to make sure that there is proper border control, we talked of security in maritime environment. Those issues were addressed. But the critical thing is to keep everybody abreast that there are challenges and everybody must stand up to face the challenges together as a nation.”

He confirmed that on the Suleja bombing at the INEC office, “everybody who was involved has been arrested. By the time you see them being prosecuted, you will see that there  is no deliberate attempt by the government not to prosecute those behind the insecurity in the country. Everybody is concerned. I can assure you that we have made arrests and we will let you know in due time.”

On the escalating crisis in Jos, Azazi said he has been directed by President Jonathan to prepare all the facts “so that we can make a decision on what to do.”

Governor Suswam had earlier said that besides security, the Council deliberated on the award of national honours, appointment of the chairman and commissioners for the National Population Commission (NPC) and the reconstitution of the prerogative of mercy by the President.
Re: Council Of State Okays Rejig Of Security System . by Beaf: 2:07am On Sep 07, 2011
koruji:

. . .

Terrorism was alien to the country until now? What were all those [b]BH attacks up north, Jos Inferno, ND militants? [/b]Thoughtful leaders would have known that the U.N. kind is what you prevent, not what you wait for to start singing about the "menace of terrorism".

. . .

It is extremely foolish and wicked to call the militancy in the ND terrorism. We can only trust fellow Nigerians to do such when the likes of the US, the UK, France, Germany etc have staunchly refused to do so. Rather, during the insurgency, Hilary Clinton made the loud claim that the Niger Delta was like occupied territory, a people kept in bondage by the rest of Nigeria.

Nigerians hate each other, so we do not think deeply before making very odd and careless statements.
Re: Council Of State Okays Rejig Of Security System . by koruji(m): 2:30am On Sep 07, 2011
Although I understand where you are coming from these acts all involve the use of terror, and thus terrorism. Reasons behind such acts may all be mixed up with legitimate demands, but in the end the use of terror is terrorism.

What are you going to call the 50th Anniversary bombing of Abuja - terrorism certainly. You may argue that it wasn't carried out by MEND, but what about the bombing of the governors' meeting and the bombing of GEJ's house, etc? Terrorism pure and simple.

I will always support the fundamental rights behind the MEND struggle, but the use of terrorist means is a big no-no - particularly when you stop bombing pipelines and start planting bombs against civilians, kidnapping and the like. Legitimate-turned-terrorist is the way I characterize what happened in the Niger Delta.

A government that would address all the issues behind such acts cannot but see them for what they are - terrorism.

Now, those eventual terrorist acts in the ND were founded on legitimate demands and can thus be resolved once the wrongs are righted.

BH terrorism has no legitimate reason at its foundation, as such the approach to dealing with it must be different.

Rebel movements and warring parties always distinguish between legitimate acts of war and terror, but once the line is crossed the involved party becomes guilty of terrorism.

Beaf:

It is extremely foolish and wicked to call the militancy in the ND terrorism. We can only trust fellow Nigerians to do such when the likes of the US, the UK, France, Germany etc have staunchly refused to do so. Rather, during the insurgency, Hilary Clinton made the loud claim that the Niger Delta was like occupied territory, a people kept in bondage by the rest of Nigeria.

Nigerians hate each other, so we do not think deeply before making very odd and careless statements.
Re: Council Of State Okays Rejig Of Security System . by Beaf: 2:42am On Sep 07, 2011
^
Like I said, it is only the evil in the average Nigerian that can cause a person to mention the Niger Delta struggle and boko haram in one breath. It is extremely insulting. The Nigerian govt itself has never ever used the term, terrorism to describe the ND struggle, those horrible words tumble out of the mouths of the uncaring instead.

When our peaceful representatives were being killed like dogs on the orders of Shell, I'm sure it all looked nice and sweet. Again, it is foreigners that see the truth about Nigeria and speak it in unwavering terms. Most Nigerians just tell convenient lies that make blood cheap.
Re: Council Of State Okays Rejig Of Security System . by Beaf: 2:47am On Sep 07, 2011
I'm sure if we were discussing OPC and the June 12 struggle you wouldn't use the word, terrorism. Ask yourself why.
Re: Council Of State Okays Rejig Of Security System . by Kobojunkie: 2:48am On Sep 07, 2011
How many times have our security forces been RE-JIGGED in the last 6 months alone? It almost sounds like that is about the ONLY strategy our government knows to attempt, each time another bomb goes off. For pete's sake, no be the same dem RE-JIG in March/April/May and now again grin cheesy cheesy grin
Re: Council Of State Okays Rejig Of Security System . by Beaf: 2:59am On Sep 07, 2011
Kobojunkie:

How many times have our security forces been RE-JIGGED in the last 6 months alone? It almost sounds like that is about the ONLY strategy our government knows to attempt, each time another bomb goes off. For pete's sake, no be the same dem RE-JIG in March/April/May and now again grin cheesy cheesy grin

Sir, would you be so kind to take up the challenge and provide links to support your re-jig claims? Or will the truth defeat you as usual? grin grin grin

@topic
There's going to be a remaking of aspects of our security services, from training to technology, to a new national database. It will take time, but its never too late. There is a lot that needs to be done in what is a horribly daunting task, considering the type of police force we have.
Re: Council Of State Okays Rejig Of Security System . by koruji(m): 3:56am On Sep 07, 2011
Would you please point me to the terrorist acts committed by OPC?

Beaf:

I'm sure if we were discussing OPC and the June 12 struggle you wouldn't use the word, terrorism. Ask yourself why.
Re: Council Of State Okays Rejig Of Security System . by koruji(m): 4:11am On Sep 07, 2011
This is a reason why there will never be a solution to Nigeria's problems - the West, East, North & South will each call the same problem different names depending on which side they belong. When MEND blows up pipelines in protest that may be condoned as acts of rebellion, but when they start planting car boms that can and has killed innocent civilians that is an act of terrorism.

If you don't see how struggles, rebellions or even wars can diverge from their underlying legitimate basis into terrorism that is your problem. The fact is that MEND crossed the threshold many times, including the Abuja bombing - an act that is obviously making it difficult for GEJ to treat BH as they deserve.

What terrorism is: “Common definitions of terrorism refer only to those violent acts which are intended to create fear (terror), are perpetrated for a religious, political or ideological goal, and deliberately target or disregard the safety of non-combatants (civilians). Some definitions now exclude acts of state terrorism and some also include acts of unlawful violence and war. The use of similar tactics by criminal organizations for protection rackets or to enforce a code of silence is usually not labeled terrorism though these same actions may be labeled terrorism when done by a politically motivated group.”

And yes, government can visit terrorism on citizens and are probably the biggest cuprits across the world.

This must be clear in the mind of anyone seeking a solution to such acts - something to be clearly abhored and adequate solutions fitting the source of the problem implemented without delay.

Beaf:

^
Like I said, it is only the evil in the average Nigerian that can cause a person to mention the Niger Delta struggle and boko haram in one breath. It is extremely insulting. The Nigerian govt itself has never ever used the term, terrorism to describe the ND struggle, those horrible words tumble out of the mouths of the uncaring instead.

When our peaceful representatives were being killed like dogs on the orders of Shell, I'm sure it all looked nice and sweet. Again, it is foreigners that see the truth about Nigeria and speak it in unwavering terms. Most Nigerians just tell convenient lies that make blood cheap.
Re: Council Of State Okays Rejig Of Security System . by efisher(m): 4:32am On Sep 07, 2011
@Koruji, I agree with your argument here. The ND militants crossed the line when they started attacking people rather than pipelines (towards the latter part of the struggle). It may have been as a result of their frustration but it was wrong all the same.

On your earlier point, our government is known to be more reactive than proactive. I will even prefer to say we are not even as "reactive" as we should be! We adopt a "corrective" approach to everything. Not only do we wait till the problem is fully mature, we take steps only after the damage has been completely done. Sometimes, we even take the wrong medicine for the illness. It tells us that if Cameroon or Benin Republic decides to invade us tomorrow, they would have succeeded in wiping out a whole town before we start fighting back. Our security agencies and indeed the entire government lack insight and foresight. They do not know the meaning of "simulation" or "creating scenarios". Something the Americans are masters at.
Re: Council Of State Okays Rejig Of Security System . by Beaf: 4:45am On Sep 07, 2011
koruji:

Would you please point me to the terrorist acts committed by OPC?

Something told me you wouldn't see them in the same light as you see other groups. I do not call them terrorists, but by your definition, you should.
What is the difference between the ND militants and OPC? Both have guns and both have used them in situations where lives were lost. So how come OPC isn't terrorist to you? Doesn't OPC create fear?

Doesn't your description below fit OPC? Ain't they political and ideological? Don't they kill people?

koruji: What terrorism is: “Common definitions of terrorism refer only to those violent acts which are intended to create fear (terror), are perpetrated for a religious, political or ideological goal, and deliberately target or disregard the safety of non-combatants (civilians). Some definitions now exclude acts of state terrorism and some also include acts of unlawful violence and war. The use of similar tactics by criminal organizations for protection rackets or to enforce a code of silence is usually not labeled terrorism though these same actions may be labeled terrorism when done by a politically motivated group.”

Words are thing to be used with care. Not even the FG has declared ND militants to be terrorists, we only hear that from NL pundits.
Re: Council Of State Okays Rejig Of Security System . by koruji(m): 5:09am On Sep 07, 2011
Perhaps you are thinking that I see the ND struggle as terrorism. Nothing can be farther from the truth, and I thought that was clear from my replies.

ND militants have a legitimate basis for their rebellion, however many of their acts increasingly crossed into terrorism territory.

OPC does not even come close to being a rebel organization and even referring to OPC as militant is a little bit of an exagerration - the capability to quickly become militant is there however, and frankly the way Nigeria is going I hope they get ready. However, that is not an endorsement of any acts of terrorism - which is something that so far cannot be identified with OPC.

Although it is common to label some groups terrorists - only a few such groups actually claim to be terrorists. As such, it is not the organization or the struggle per se that makes a terrorist, but the act of terrorism.

The direction the ND militants were going can be compared to the Basque separatists of Spain or the IRA in Northern Ireland.

Beaf:

Something told me you wouldn't see them in the same light as you see other groups. I do not call them terrorists, but by your definition, you should.
What is the difference between the ND militants and OPC? Both have guns and both have used them in situations where lives were lost. So how come OPC isn't terrorist to you? Doesn't OPC create fear?
Re: Council Of State Okays Rejig Of Security System . by efisher(m): 5:16am On Sep 07, 2011
@Koruji, you took your own bullet! You are obviously from the SW and would see OPC in a different light from others. That should explain Beaf's argument that MEND is also not a terrorist group.
Re: Council Of State Okays Rejig Of Security System . by Beaf: 5:27am On Sep 07, 2011
efisher:

@Koruji, you took your own bullet! You are obviously from the SW and would see OPC in a different light from others. That should explain Beaf's argument that MEND is also not a terrorist group.

The bolded explains it all. There is absolutely no reason for double standards when it comes to name-calling and labelling.

koruji:

Perhaps you are thinking that I see the ND struggle as terrorism. Nothing can be farther from the truth, and I thought that was clear from my replies.

ND militants have a legitimate basis for their rebellion, however many of their acts increasingly crossed into terrorism territory.

OPC does not even come close to being a rebel organization and even referring to OPC as militant is a little bit of an exagerration - the capability to quickly become militant is there however, and frankly the way Nigeria is going I hope they get ready. However, that is not an endorsement of any acts of terrorism - which is something that so far cannot be identified with OPC.

Although it is common to label some groups terrorists - only a few such groups actually claim to be terrorists. As such, it is not the organization or the struggle per se that makes a terrorist, but the act of terrorism.

The direction the ND militants were going can be compared to the Basque separatists of Spain or the IRA in Northern Ireland.

. . .Except that both the British and the Spanish have glaringly failed to label ND militants as terrorists like you have. That shows a lot about what Nigerians think of each other simply because they belong in different ethnic groups.

I find it difficult to understand your claims of mildness are concerning OPC. That group has taken more Nigerian lives than any other, and their battles are usually against other ethnic groups whom they have slaughtered; from the Hausa's in Ketu to Ijaws in Ajegunle etc etc. So get out your paint brush and tar them as well to ensure that your claims don't sound sectional.
Re: Council Of State Okays Rejig Of Security System . by Nobody: 6:27am On Sep 07, 2011
the same beaf that disowned henry okah, his onetime hero and the most visible face of mend as a terrorist is doing his usual about turn because bombing is no longer in fashion

i wonder what the victims of atlas cove will have to say about beaf's definition of MEND.

the moment any kind of freedom /change movement resorts to violence, it is only a short while before they become little more than a criminal enterprise - be they the FARC, IRA, MEND , ETA or anyone else.

every other day, we are hearing of former militants behaving like what they are in training abroad - thugs. and those are just the foot soldiers of mend. the word terrorist is even too kind. for the most part, MEND was a motley assortment of organizations and groups with no clear agenda bound only by emails by Jomo Gbomo taking credit for their wanton acts of violence.
Re: Council Of State Okays Rejig Of Security System . by sheriffman(m): 8:57am On Sep 07, 2011
BEAF take it or leave it, MEND is now seen as a terorist organisation.They crossed the line when they bombed Abj on oct 1st.BH is also a terorist org.As for OPC it will be difficult to prove they are terrorists.Having guns and killing does not confirm that status on them.
Re: Council Of State Okays Rejig Of Security System . by Bawss1(m): 11:16am On Sep 07, 2011
OT but had to add this.
Boko Haram, Niger Delta Militants = Terrorists. No amount of spin and spell will change that image. Deal with it.
Re: Council Of State Okays Rejig Of Security System . by koruji(m): 1:16pm On Sep 07, 2011
The British and Spanish are not yardsticks for defining what is terrorism - and frankly what you are referring to was before MEND crossed the dividing line from legitimate rebellion to acts of terrorism. Nobody referred to ND militants violence as acts of terrorism until they crossed that line - so you have to face reality here.

I hope you are not suggesting that everything the ND militants did in the cause of their struggle, even the planting & explosion of bombs on innocent civilians, is okay.

Your references to violence involving OPC as acts of terrorism is obviously untenable. Terrorism is defined in one of my previous messages. It gives you a good guideline between acts of terrorism and other acts of violence. Of course, I'll prefer not to have any kind of acts of violence, but this is a babaric world we live in.

Beaf:

The bolded explains it all. There is absolutely no reason for double standards when it comes to name-calling and labelling.

. . .Except that both the British and the Spanish have glaringly failed to label ND militants as terrorists like you have. That shows a lot about what Nigerians think of each other simply because they belong in different ethnic groups.

I find it difficult to understand your claims of mildness are concerning OPC. That group has taken more Nigerian lives than any other, and their battles are usually against other ethnic groups whom they have slaughtered; from the Hausa's in Ketu to Ijaws in Ajegunle etc etc. So get out your paint brush and tar them as well to ensure that your claims don't sound sectional.

(1) (Reply)

FG To Spend N1.5bn On Zik’s Mausoleum In Onitsha- Anambra State / Degema Local Government Chairman Of Rivers State Complete Sports Stadia / HBD To Rt Hon Ifeanyi Ugwuanyi (gburugburu)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 86
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.