Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,015 members, 7,817,989 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 02:12 AM

S’East Plots To Dump PDP, Plans Merging APGA With ACN? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / S’East Plots To Dump PDP, Plans Merging APGA With ACN? (6952 Views)

House Leadership: Tension As Northern, S’east Reps Protest Exclusion / PDP Didn’t Win Elections In S’east – Kalu / Obasanjo Plots To Head Interim National Govt - Presidency (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

S’East Plots To Dump PDP, Plans Merging APGA With ACN? by Chyz2: 2:44am On Sep 07, 2011
[size=15pt]S’East plots to dump PDP[/size]

By Chidi Obineche

Wednesday, September 07, 2011

A group of political leaders have begun moves to convince their counterparts in the ruling Peoples Democracy Party (PDP) to dump the party ahead of its national convention in January next year.
The group, which consists mainly of young political turks across the various political parties is led by one Chief Mathew Ezema and is known as “South-East for 2015.”

Daily Sun learnt yesterday that it had opened talks with “Ndigbo Lagos,” a socio-cultural group led by Admiral Ndubuisi Kanu and affiliated to the Ohanaeze Ndigbo.

Designed to serve as a pressure group, it sprang up from the ashes of the recent affirmation of the PDP zoning formulae which was perceived to be skewed against Ndigbo and their interests.
The highest political officeholder of Igbo extraction in the present dispensation is the deputy senate president. The group considered the situation as “unfair and wicked.”
It was particularly irked by the “overbearing influence of ex-president Olusegun Obasanjo in the affairs of the party, which it (the group) believed shut the zone out of the race for the chairmanship of the party.

At a meeting a fortnight ago, at a hotel in the Festac Area of Lagos, various speakers bemoaned the fate of Ndigbo and the machinations of the ex-president against the race, expressing fears that Ndigbo would never have a good deal in the PDP now or in the future. It sought to set up formal committees that would consult with Igbo leaders of note and institutions on the way forward.
It chose to push for a merger of the All Progressives Grand Alliance (APGA), which is popular in the zone, and controls two states and the Action Congress of Nigeria (ACN), which is the ruling party in the South-west.
A source at the meeting said “the two parties should merge and then advance to the Middle Belt. That will provide an alternative to the PDP.”

As part of its strategic build-up, the APGA in Lagos was being persuaded to support the ACN-led government in Lagos. Formal moves to the ACN were, however, yet to be made by the group. But a leader of the ACN and one time chairman of the Lagos chapter of the PDP, Chief Olorunfemi Bashorun described the idea as a healthy development, which would forge deeper understanding and co-operation among the peoples of the South-west, South-east and North-central zones.

National Publicity Secretary of the Conference of Nigeria Political Parties (CNPP), Mr. Osita Okechukwu, said though he was aware of the development, he was yet to give his blessings to it because it did not have the potentials of curbing the excesses of PDP.
Okechukwu, who is now in the Genaral Muhammadu Buhari-led Congress for Progressive Change (CPC), said any political re-negotiation must be broad-based and must integrate all segments of the society and vital political structures without let. He expressed pessimism over the success of the project even as he observed that it was a step in the right direction.

Former Anambra State governor, Dr. Chukwuemeka Ezeife said it was noble and welcome. He told Daily Sun that “though, I have not studied its full objectives and composition, it is laudable. It is an idea that should be supported. I have always believed in a two-party system. If this works, that means the nation can get a strong party that can serve as a counterpoise to the PDP. ACN cannot do it alone. It is seen as a sectional party. The same thing for APGA. The two should merge and form a formidable force that will liberate Nigerians. You know I don’t belong to any party.”
The Administrative Secretary of Ndigbo, Lagos, Kalu Onuma, when contacted said he lacked the capacity to speak on behalf of the group on such a crucial policy issue.

Calls put to Admiral Kanu’s cell phone were not picked and the call not returned.
The group is, however, making contacts in the South-east and may touch down in Abia and Imo states this weekend. About five political leaders in each state were slated for consultations. They include, Imo–Chief Emmanuel Iwuanyanwu, Chief Ziggy Azike, Chief Achike Udenwa, Captain Emmanuel Iheanacho(rtd), Bethel Amadi. Abia – Chief B.P. Apugo, Chief Orji Uzor Kalu, Chief Uzodinma Okpara, Senator Enyinnaya Abaribe, Chief Henry Ikoh. Anambra–Chief Dan Ulasi, Chief Arthur Nwankwo, and others.
Dr. Chudi Nwike, Senator Ikechukwu Obiorah and the Catholic Bishop of Nnewi diocese, Bishop Hilary Okeke.

Enugu-Chief Okey Ezea, Dr. Chimaroke Nnamani, Senator Ken Nnamani, Hon. U.S.A Igwesi, Mr. Frank Nweke jnr.Ebonyi- Dr. Sam Egwu, Ambassador Frank Ogbuewu, Chief Julius Ucha, Dr. Ogbonnaya Onu, Senator Chris Nwankwo, and Senator Offiah Nwali.
In the calculations of the group, a formal gathering will be organized for a denunciation of the PDP. “We have to wet the ground. It would be done piece-meal through periodic press statements by individuals which will give hint of what to come. We want to talk to PDP leaders as well. That is why we penciled some of them down. If it is one sided, then we have done nothing.”

A PDP leader and National Chairmanship aspirant before it was re-zoned to the North-East, who does not want his name in print told Daily Sun that the plot would be a tall task. He, however, expressed dissatisfaction with the position of Ndigbo in the PDP, saying that he knew that the sustained strangulation would someday rebound.
“This is a pleasant surprise. Our people have been kept in the cooler for long. They have no reason to be afraid.” But the PDP has already begun moves to counter the plot.
A directive emanating from the party is seeking deep co-operation from all the registered political parties except the ACN and the CPC. No reason was given for the exemption of the two parties.

http://www.sunnewsonline.com/webpages/news/national/2011/sept/07/national-07-09-2011-006.html
Re: S’East Plots To Dump PDP, Plans Merging APGA With ACN? by Onlytruth(m): 2:53am On Sep 07, 2011
I will always support any moves to take Igbo out of PDP. I don't really care which party APGA merges with, provided it leads to a weaker PDP in Igboland and hopefully southern Nigeria.
Here I stand. cool
Re: S’East Plots To Dump PDP, Plans Merging APGA With ACN? by Onlytruth(m): 2:57am On Sep 07, 2011
I have to quickly add that as long as Obasanjo remains in PDP and controls things in that party, Ndigbo CAN NEVER find their feet in the scheme of things in PDP.

Current PDP is an Obasanjo stratagem for Igbo marginalization in Nigeria.
Onye obuna mepee anya ya o!
Re: S’East Plots To Dump PDP, Plans Merging APGA With ACN? by Kobojunkie: 3:02am On Sep 07, 2011
Abeg make person hear word o'jare!!~ undecided undecided undecided
Re: S’East Plots To Dump PDP, Plans Merging APGA With ACN? by Onlytruth(m): 3:04am On Sep 07, 2011
^^

Who let kobomental out, whoof woof. cheesy
Re: S’East Plots To Dump PDP, Plans Merging APGA With ACN? by woetooam4j: 3:04am On Sep 07, 2011
Abeg, make Kobojunkie hear word jare.

Sup mamas
Re: S’East Plots To Dump PDP, Plans Merging APGA With ACN? by NegroNtns(m): 3:06am On Sep 07, 2011
Onlytruth,

You need to care which party APGA merges with. Seriously!!

Igbos are abandoning PDP after it became clear 2015 Presidency is out of your reach. You are mistaken if you think your merge with A C N will get it for you in 2015, 2019 or 2023.

Why must Igbos form union with others, are you able to stand confidently alone? Float APGA as an independent and unallied party.
Re: S’East Plots To Dump PDP, Plans Merging APGA With ACN? by volasunkan: 3:08am On Sep 07, 2011
at last,ndigbo is waking up!the key to 2015 is SW,ndigbo nids SW not the other way round.The SW would expectedly ask ndigbo to support call for full federalism and SNC!And TO ofcourse,forget GEJ! GEJ would lose in this game of high powered politics hopefully if OBJ could be neutralised
Re: S’East Plots To Dump PDP, Plans Merging APGA With ACN? by volasunkan: 3:11am On Sep 07, 2011
RIP GEJ!NOW THE SS AND THE IJAWS KNOW OIL WITHOUT EDUCATION IS A DISASTER,GEJ WAS A BAD AMBASSADOR!
Re: S’East Plots To Dump PDP, Plans Merging APGA With ACN? by Beaf: 3:15am On Sep 07, 2011
I laugh in Kalakuta! grin
Re: S’East Plots To Dump PDP, Plans Merging APGA With ACN? by Onlytruth(m): 3:16am On Sep 07, 2011
Posted by: Negro_Ntns

Onlytruth,

You need to care which party APGA merges with. Seriously!!  

Igbos are abandoning PDP after it became clear 2015 Presidency is out of your reach. You are mistaken if you think your merge with A C N will get it for you in 2015, 2019 or 2023.

Why must Igbos form union with others, are you able to stand confidently alone? Float APGA as an independent and unallied party.

Believe me, my advocating that Igbo dump PDP has VERY LITTLE to do with the politics of 2015. It has more to do with politics of today and NOW.
Igbo people say that a chicken that will become a c0ck is known quite young.

I don't regret our support for Jonathan in the last election. We had to. (take it or leave it).
Having done that, we've set a political trap for our brothers in SS. If they are smart, they will dodge that trap and follow us, else they will have a rough ride alongside the SE in the emerging future of Nigerian politics.

The main reason I want Igbo out of PDP is because of Obasanjo. Simple and short.
Re: S’East Plots To Dump PDP, Plans Merging APGA With ACN? by woetooam4j: 3:18am On Sep 07, 2011
^^^

I thought OBJ was Ibo?
Re: S’East Plots To Dump PDP, Plans Merging APGA With ACN? by Onlytruth(m): 3:19am On Sep 07, 2011
^^

Another coward with a new username
Re: S’East Plots To Dump PDP, Plans Merging APGA With ACN? by NegroNtns(m): 3:41am On Sep 07, 2011
You should not abandon PDP. You currently have voice representation in PDP. Why would you want to dump that?

I say remain in PDP but float APGA as a mainstream contender. Whichever way it ends, you have presence; it mat not be what you want, but you have a tangible power that you can use smartly to steadily and enduringly use to advantage and eliminate rivals and emerge as the top dawg!

Did you not read what Obj said about House of Reps position few days ago? Go and re-read and analyze his intent. The man is not stupid, he is mischievious! I hope his mischief pays out in good favor.
Re: S’East Plots To Dump PDP, Plans Merging APGA With ACN? by Onlytruth(m): 3:48am On Sep 07, 2011
Posted by: Negro_Ntns

You should not abandon PDP. You currently have voice representation in PDP. Why would you want to dump that?

I say remain in PDP but float APGA as a mainstream contender. Whichever way it ends, you have presence; it mat not be what you want, but you have a tangible power that you can use smartly to steadily and enduringly use to advantage and eliminate rivals and emerge as the top dawg!

Did you not read what Obj said about House of Reps position few days ago? Go and re-read and analyze his intent. The man is not silly, he is mischievious! I hope his mischief pays out in good favor.

Ordinarily, I won't fault your points, but PDP has been in Igboland since 1999 and with NOTHING to show for it.
With the exception of Enugu state governor, all PDP governors in SE have been BAD. And while they were here in Igboland, they rigged APGA out and made sure the party never developed. If they were minding their business, I won't say these. PDP coexisting with APGA has been tough for APGA. They need to go biko.
Re: S’East Plots To Dump PDP, Plans Merging APGA With ACN? by NegroNtns(m): 4:00am On Sep 07, 2011
They didn't just occupy the office, someone voted them in.

SE need a civic awareness campaign. You need to rally your people up in a coordinated but educational style to
1. Enumerate the political pain of SE under PDP membership.

2. Indentify the root cause of the problems.

3. Propose plans for resolving it at next election.

4. Start a mobilization campaing to go village to village and commit people to a resolve that will bring a deserved political success to SE.
Re: S’East Plots To Dump PDP, Plans Merging APGA With ACN? by Nobody: 4:06am On Sep 07, 2011
Food for thought:am glad to know that MEN have begun to strategise for 2015 and if a well conceived merger is formed it will either deliver the Igbo presidency or peacefully divide the Country.
Re: S’East Plots To Dump PDP, Plans Merging APGA With ACN? by aloyemeka2: 4:14am On Sep 07, 2011
Typical black man's retrogressive mentality. Islamic marauders are torching the country and are still on testing phase before they match towards South and my Southern brothers are here fighting for tribal supremacy. 

If Nigeria cripples by 2015, how can PDP or ACN be functional?. You guys better look for ways to appease the Northerners and break away instead of chasing party merger. You guys obviously do not know the trap you found yourselves in. Afghanistan, Sudan, etc will be paradise compared to what Boko haram will do to Nigeria in the near future. Shebi you guys frown at being called 419 by foreigners, just wait and see how people will disembark from the plane if they discover that a Nigerian is boarding.

As desperate as I am now, if the North will agree to go peacefully and be entitled to 98.9% of oil revenue from Southern Nigeria, no problem as long as they leave in peace. I am tired.
Re: S’East Plots To Dump PDP, Plans Merging APGA With ACN? by jason123: 4:19am On Sep 07, 2011
In as much as I don't believe sun newspaper. I am actually HOPING this is true! May God make this happen!
This is the best news all week! cool
Re: S’East Plots To Dump PDP, Plans Merging APGA With ACN? by dayokanu(m): 4:20am On Sep 07, 2011
I am liking this new Onlytruth who now sees that No good can come out of PDP
Re: S’East Plots To Dump PDP, Plans Merging APGA With ACN? by NegroNtns(m): 4:27am On Sep 07, 2011
<quote>
If Nigeria cripples by 2015,

</quote>

Aloy, "if" is speculative. There are three of them in your three paragraph post.

Be more definite.
Re: S’East Plots To Dump PDP, Plans Merging APGA With ACN? by Nobody: 4:44am On Sep 07, 2011
@ Aloy since when have we started to take medication for another man's illness, the same people who induced the '67 pogrom are now bombing themselves so why should we cry,if SSS released people who should be prosecuted,was an Igbo man the SSS DG? Is the common man surviving because we have a good govt? Is not the mercy of God giving us good harvest and has the govt offered social security to the masses to help put food on the table for the poor?
In Imo state pensioners were not paid 11 years entitlements since the inception of democracy(PDP) is that not enough reason to rise up and make a stand to better our lot
Mark my words,the govt will know the wrath of the people if BH should cross the River Niger.the poor?
In Imo state pensioners were not paid 11 years entitlements since the inception of democracy(PDP) is that not enough reason to rise up and make a stand to better our lot
Mark my words,the govt will know the wrath of the people if BH should cross the River Niger.
Re: S’East Plots To Dump PDP, Plans Merging APGA With ACN? by iykak47: 5:29am On Sep 07, 2011
good move
Re: S’East Plots To Dump PDP, Plans Merging APGA With ACN? by Bliss4Lyfe(f): 5:59am On Sep 07, 2011
[size=18pt]Good move. PDP should not be the only route to Igbo 2015 Presidential goal. Who wants a Northern President in this day and age?[/size]
Re: S’East Plots To Dump PDP, Plans Merging APGA With ACN? by ektbear: 6:01am On Sep 07, 2011
Bliss4Lyfe:

Who wants a Northern President in this day and age?

Not I, said the bear
Re: S’East Plots To Dump PDP, Plans Merging APGA With ACN? by Bliss4Lyfe(f): 6:03am On Sep 07, 2011
^^ lol, My point exactly.  cool
Re: S’East Plots To Dump PDP, Plans Merging APGA With ACN? by udezue(m): 6:10am On Sep 07, 2011
Whatever will deliver us from that evil entrapment is good.
Re: S’East Plots To Dump PDP, Plans Merging APGA With ACN? by TenKobo1: 6:12am On Sep 07, 2011
I heard the DESPERATE  voice of Orji Uzo Kalu in that report, Wait! it was reported by the Sun, There you go!
Re: S’East Plots To Dump PDP, Plans Merging APGA With ACN? by anthony86(m): 6:26am On Sep 07, 2011
Rubbish.Nigerian Politicians will always show their worth irrespective of party of inclinations. The Problem with Nigeria is not PDP but the Politicians themselves don't be surprised that the politicians advocating this merger are the ones that lost out in the PDP.
Re: S’East Plots To Dump PDP, Plans Merging APGA With ACN? by kolexy(m): 6:54am On Sep 07, 2011
" I dey laugh ". When did OBJ become the albatross of the SE?
A critical look at the names of people in the so called committee speaks volume of the dearth in Leadership in the SE and most places in Nigeria. Chimaroke (killer) Nnamani. Are u guys for real? Orji Uzor Kalu (Eunice & Orji Enterprises). The solution is not in Fighting the PDP.

The Political class would always take us for a ride until we rise up against them,
Re: S’East Plots To Dump PDP, Plans Merging APGA With ACN? by Kc3000: 6:57am On Sep 07, 2011
Simple answer to this proposal: It would NEVER happen. Case of jumping from frying pan to fire.
Re: S’East Plots To Dump PDP, Plans Merging APGA With ACN? by Nobody: 7:38am On Sep 07, 2011
I don't believe this shit. It can't happen. Na jst talk. When we all hope 2015 integration. Msew. The northern r the most furtunate in d world.free oil money more than 400LG n montly allocations. Courtesy of british n there yoruba servant. Our mey guard usually boast that they always scatter southern unity tru der yoruba servant that is always lickin der ass.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Tribunal Sacks Benue Speaker, Declares ACN Candidate Winner . / Lagos Demolishes Apapa Amusement Park For Security Reason / British Politician Chides Nigerian Press For Their Negativity

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 68
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.