Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,926 members, 7,828,207 topics. Date: Wednesday, 15 May 2024 at 06:23 AM

Previous Company Sued Me To Court After I Got Another Job With A Company. - Jobs/Vacancies (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / Previous Company Sued Me To Court After I Got Another Job With A Company. (21813 Views)

Should I Quit My Job While I Haven't Got Another One? / Is Xyples LLC Another Job Scam / Should He Leave His New Job For Another Job Interview? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Previous Company Sued Me To Court After I Got Another Job With A Company. by charityexplicit(f): 4:16pm On Jan 27, 2023
I was given a legal document to sign by my previous employer. One of the conditions was that when I leave their company, I will not work with any company in Nigeria that does the same line of business with them until after 3years. I didn't sign those documents and that was how I left the newly gotten job then. I couldn't imagine such wickedness by any employer all in the name of "no much jobs" and whereas people are desperate to get jobs. I disappointed them by not signing and walked away and I was proud I did. Barely 5 months after, I got another job of same line of business that pays me almost 3 times what I should have earned in the other company. Please, let's always read every documents given to us properly and know your worth to an extent.
Note: in between those 5 months, I was without a job and it wasn't funny but at last, I started smiling.

4 Likes

Re: Previous Company Sued Me To Court After I Got Another Job With A Company. by lagosrd: 4:19pm On Jan 27, 2023
gaby:
Find a good lawyer on a probono basis and cash out from the roguish Lebanese slave-drivers.

You may need to explain this to him in grammar he understands.
Re: Previous Company Sued Me To Court After I Got Another Job With A Company. by georgeidoni: 4:21pm On Jan 27, 2023
They do not have the right to deprive you of your means of livelihood. The position of the law is clear on this. As there are decided cases against this obnoxious practice of depriving you from using your skills. As long as you properly resigned, they do not have a case. I view of the cost of getting a legal representation, I advise that you approach the Lagos State Office iof the Public Defender. After hearing your case, I am sure they will give you free legal representation. This case is in bad taste and will not stand the test of legal scrutiny. Good luck!

1 Like

Re: Previous Company Sued Me To Court After I Got Another Job With A Company. by drsibz66(m): 4:22pm On Jan 27, 2023
icedbreez:

You can't work in two different companies at same time so invariably that clause implies 3years upon termination or resignation.

Always watch out for the fine print. Only Lebanese and Indians can insert a clause from hell like that.

You can actually work in 2 or 3 different companies at the same time . FACT. That document the op posted didn't make reference to any date the 3yrs is to oversee so it's very well relates to the employment since other clauses were also referenced to the employment date. .

2 , No company can take away your liberty or human right to work any where else after you retire or terminate your contract.

3, The competitive agreement can only hold water if he was working in both companies at the same time.ie that he hasn't officially resigned.

2 Likes

Re: Previous Company Sued Me To Court After I Got Another Job With A Company. by leisuretym: 4:22pm On Jan 27, 2023
Entanglement:
first of all, you went and opened your smelly mouth bragging about your new job undecided

I'm sure you are yoruba by tribe, because you people can't keep your long mouth quiet undecided

Blabla bla bla like pigeon, even pigeon is more quiet than you people undecided

You want to oppress your colleagues or formal company that you have gotten a better job.
See were the thing come land you now! undecided

Shut up! The only smelling mouth here is yours and your mama mouth , he’s not the one responsible for your miserable life, don’t insult him , try to hire boys to satisfy your wife in bed 🛌 first, if you don’t have money, some Oshodi boys under bridge will volunteer , just make sure she eat well because those agbero boys gat no joy.
Re: Previous Company Sued Me To Court After I Got Another Job With A Company. by lagosrd: 4:22pm On Jan 27, 2023
For your information, go get a lawyer and stop this posting up and down before they turn your life upside down.

Make an agreement with the lawyer to share claim cos you have a good case here.

I am not a lawyer but certain things have overiding laws over them. The lawyers know. Meanwhile, making you sign a slavery agreement could cost your former company , cos as someone said here, they don't expect you not to feed with your education because you're working in a competitive market. Even banks don't do such.

2 Likes

Re: Previous Company Sued Me To Court After I Got Another Job With A Company. by asobo1: 4:23pm On Jan 27, 2023
yemzzy02:
It should be more than 3 years already now. You joined 28 November, 2018. If you walked 7 months which means you must have left in June, 2019. By June, 2022 it will be 3 years already. So if you are getting a job in 2023, then there is no claim.
You don't get the whole gist. The three years got nothing to do with the duration of his service with his previous employers but that he isn't allowed to offer his service to another employer who does the same job as his previous employers for three years.
Re: Previous Company Sued Me To Court After I Got Another Job With A Company. by Othniel4mi: 4:24pm On Jan 27, 2023
ecolime:
Get yourself a lawyer guy.

Counter-sue them with N1Billion claim.

Your new company might want to relieve you of your job. So get ready to be use the said skill to stand on your own but see this case to the end.

Thanks I will
Re: Previous Company Sued Me To Court After I Got Another Job With A Company. by theamazonguru(m): 4:25pm On Jan 27, 2023
yemzzy02:
It should be more than 3 years already now. You joined 28 November, 2018. If you walked 7 months which means you must have left in June, 2019. By June, 2022 it will be 3 years already. So if you are getting a job in 2023, then there is no claim.

I am.not sure you got that part correctly.
He meant, the previous company said he can't work with another company within the same field until after 3 years of his exit/resignation form them (the previous company).

He just re-signed 7 months ago. That's not UpTo 3 years.

The fact that this clause is in the employment letter he signed, the company has the right to sue.
However with a good company lawyer who can advocate for him, the tide can turn in his favour.

1 Like

Re: Previous Company Sued Me To Court After I Got Another Job With A Company. by Othniel4mi: 4:27pm On Jan 27, 2023
drsibz66:

You can actually work in 2 or 3 different companies at the same time . FACT. That document the op posted didn't make reference to any date the 3yrs is to oversee so it's very well relates to the employment since other clauses were also referenced to the employment date. .

2 , No company can take away your liberty or human right to work any where else after you retire or terminate your contract.

3, The competitive agreement can only hold water if he was working in both companies at the same time.ie that he hasn't officially resigned.

Thanks I did resigned and I have a copy of my resignation mail

1 Like

Re: Previous Company Sued Me To Court After I Got Another Job With A Company. by tombeck: 4:28pm On Jan 27, 2023
The non competition agreement didn't state 3 year after termination or resignation of employment.

I am sure this Lebanese company doesn't pay pension and tax payee.

God will fight for you.
Re: Previous Company Sued Me To Court After I Got Another Job With A Company. by Othniel4mi: 4:29pm On Jan 27, 2023
theamazonguru:

He meant, the previous company said he can't work with another company within the same field until after 3 years of his exit/resignation form them (the previous company).

The fact that this clause is in the employment letter he signed, the company has the right to sue.
However with a good company lawyer who can advocate for him, the tide can turn in his favour.

Thanks but not stated that i cannot work AFTER TERMINATION.
Re: Previous Company Sued Me To Court After I Got Another Job With A Company. by MrMcJay(m): 4:29pm On Jan 27, 2023
Othniel4mi:

I left previous company March 10, 2022 and I got another job October 2022. They didn't say 3 years AFTER TERMINATION.

I joined previous company 2018. This what I think my lawyer will use to fight them to win them.

There are many ways to skin a cat.

Did they deduct HMO and income taxes
Was your HMO remitted to your RSA (pension account)?
Do you have proof of payment of your income taxes deducted by the company?

Does the Lebanese have a Work permit in Nigeria?

Does the company have a Data Controller and are they compliant with Data protection laws in Nigeria?

Are you in Lagos?

Pls reply
Re: Previous Company Sued Me To Court After I Got Another Job With A Company. by tombeck: 4:29pm On Jan 27, 2023
theamazonguru:

The non competition agreement didn't state 3 year after termination or resignation of employment.

I am sure this Lebanese company doesn't pay pension and tax payee.

God will fight for you.
Re: Previous Company Sued Me To Court After I Got Another Job With A Company. by Slynation(m): 4:30pm On Jan 27, 2023
Buddha3:
So you recommended a female for the HR position in your previous company, and today the same company is using the same HR to hound you with a court case in your new place of employment?

Serves you right!!

Motherfvckers like you will never step up and recommend a fellow man for a job even if he deserves and is fit for it. But at the sight of breasts, you created a soft landing for employment using the excuse that a church member recommended her. See your life today!

I wish your present company disengages you so you'll understand that a fellow man can and will always be of more use to you tomorrow. Most men never forget a homie who gives them an avenue to put food on their table. But a woman who's not a family member or wife can and will always betray you. Now her kpekus has given her access to the Lebanese owners, you go see pepper!

Hommer Simpson, Version 2.0!
God bless you for this post...!! 🙌
Re: Previous Company Sued Me To Court After I Got Another Job With A Company. by Othniel4mi: 4:30pm On Jan 27, 2023
charityexplicit:
I was given a legal document to sign by my previous employer. One of the conditions was that when I leave their company, I will not work with any company in Nigeria that does the same line of business with them until after 3years. I didn't sign those documents and that was how I left the newly gotten job then. I couldn't imagine such wickedness by any employer all in the name of "no much jobs" and whereas people are desperate to get jobs. I disappointed them by not signing and walked away and I was proud I did. Barely 5 months after, I got another job of same line of business that pays me almost 3 times what I should have earned in the other company. Please, let's always read every documents given to us properly and know your worth to an extent.
Note: in between those 5 months, I was without a job and it wasn't funny but at last, I started smiling.

Nice one. Well noted
Re: Previous Company Sued Me To Court After I Got Another Job With A Company. by Othniel4mi: 4:32pm On Jan 27, 2023
Slynation:
God bless you for this post...!! 🙌

I believe in helping people that is why I did.
I have helped some to get job but this turned against me.

It is well. I believe at the end it will be a blessing.
Re: Previous Company Sued Me To Court After I Got Another Job With A Company. by Othniel4mi: 4:34pm On Jan 27, 2023
MrMcJay:

There are many ways to skin a cat.

Did they deduct HMO and income taxes
Was your HMO remitted to your RSA (pension account)?
Do you have proof of payment of your income taxes deducted by the company?

Does the Lebanese have a Work permit in Nigeria?

Does the company have a Data Controller and are they compliant with Data protection laws in Nigeria?

Are you in Lagos?

Pls reply

I didn't get any of those. They didn't pay me. Only Salary
Re: Previous Company Sued Me To Court After I Got Another Job With A Company. by Nobody: 4:34pm On Jan 27, 2023
Othniel4mi:
Fellow Nigerians. I need help because I don't want to be terminated from my new job.

I resigned after working for the previous company for 3 years for the following reasons:
1. No benefits except HMO
2. Only your salary
3. Performance commission not paid
4. I was doing job of 4 people without appreciation. I have to do it to keep feeding my family.

I got another job after 7months I have resigned properly from the previous company.

The previous company has sued me to court with my new company. My New company doesn't want to let terminate my employment with them because I am the operations manager and I have the business knowledge.

Myself and 1 Lebanese man started the previous company in 2018 in Nigeria before the company became big. I have full knowledge and my new company is now a big treat to them. I believe because of this they sued us to court.

My new company doesn't have enough money to pay lawyer we consulted.

The previous company said I have signed a letter that stated that I cannot work on same field for 3 years. When I checked their claim, they didn't write that I cannot work on same field for 3 years AFTER TERMINATION (Please check the attached document).

I know if I go to court with them i will win this case. How can a company said i shouldn't use my skills to work in another company.

In the previous company they didn't do any training for me, the only in house training was the onboarding training for 2 days and after that no training cost invested on me and no any form of performance benefits paid.

Now I got another job, the previous company is trenthening my new company to terminate my job. Now we need to go to court and they claimed 20M for damages.

Fellow Nigerians what can I do to this Lebanese company that want to deprive me of my right in my own precious Nigeria where I dey hustle to feed family and make it in life.

Please what can I do 😂.

Kindly check the attached document they said I signed, of which it was signed after like 8months of starting with the previous company.

We didn't have HR when we started in 2018, I was the one that recommended the HR through a friend from my Church. The HR is the one persecuting me and acting as a witness in court against me.

I wish I didn't help her to get the job.

Please help.

There’s nothing that binds you to not move to another employer in that contract. They even made a mistake in the drafting.

Go and see a lawyer. Find a good one who knows what he is doing.
Re: Previous Company Sued Me To Court After I Got Another Job With A Company. by Othniel4mi: 4:37pm On Jan 27, 2023
Othniel4mi:

Yes I am in Lagos. Presently at Ikeja
Re: Previous Company Sued Me To Court After I Got Another Job With A Company. by Othniel4mi: 4:38pm On Jan 27, 2023
Othniel4mi:

Yes I am in Lagos. Presently at Ikeja.
Re: Previous Company Sued Me To Court After I Got Another Job With A Company. by Segzy19: 4:39pm On Jan 27, 2023
Wa sere! They didn't draft that non-competion clause properly. That is one loophole to exploit already. They just mentioned 3 years. Is it 3 years while you were in their employment or after you have left their employment?

Whichever way, please get a good lawyer to advise you here...

Lesson for all... We should learn to read things through properly, especially agreements and contracts....

GboyegaD:
The good side in my opinion is that the non-competition clause did not state after 3 years of leaving the organization. Get a good lawyer.
Re: Previous Company Sued Me To Court After I Got Another Job With A Company. by icedbreez(m): 4:39pm On Jan 27, 2023
drsibz66:

Taking salary from 2 or 3 places is different from working in 2 or 3 places. Even at that ICPC can be on your case.

If you are working or ever worked in a serious company you know that if you are out of your duty station or desk for 2hours your line Manager or possibly other managers will know immediately and start screaming where are you? Not civil service work you can disappear for weeks.
No company can take away your liberty yes but if you sign away your freedom then u ll lose in court because you signed.
The document did not make reference to date because it is assumed you can only work in one company full time per time except your contract says part time. And 3 years after you leave them you can't work with a competitor, he shouldn't have signed it. His best bet is to hope that d 3 years has expired or beg his current employers to take him back after expiration of the 3years or a negotiated settlement with his former employers.
Re: Previous Company Sued Me To Court After I Got Another Job With A Company. by Segzy19: 4:40pm On Jan 27, 2023
See ignorance.... If it is a good case, a lawyer can take it up pro-bono. I'm sure you don't know the meaning of pro-bono
seanwilliam:

Walai, u go sabi buy market on credit die.

So u mean make e hire lawyer on credit ? grin grin Kai

Re: Previous Company Sued Me To Court After I Got Another Job With A Company. by bobydo: 4:41pm On Jan 27, 2023
Othniel4mi:
Fellow Nigerians. I need help because I don't want to be terminated from my new job.

I resigned after working for the previous company for 3 years for the following reasons:
2. Only your salary
4. I was doing job of 4 people without appreciation. I have to do it to keep feeding my family.

I got another job after 7months I have resigned properly from the previous company.

The previous company has sued me to court with my new company. My New company doesn't want to let terminate my employment with them because I am the operations manager and I have the business knowledge.

Myself and 1 Lebanese man started the previous company in 2018 in Nigeria before the company became big. I have full knowledge and my new company is now a big treat to them. I believe because of this they sued us to court.

The previous company said I have signed a letter that stated that I cannot work on same field for 3 years. When I checked their claim, they didn't write that I cannot work on same field for 3 years AFTER TERMINATION (Please check the attached document).

I know if I go to court with them i will win this case. How can a company said i shouldn't use my skills to work in another company.

In the previous company they didn't do any training for me, the only in house training was the onboarding training for 2 days and after that no training cost invested on me and no any form of performance benefits paid.

Now I got another job, the previous company is trenthening my new company to terminate my job. Now we need to go to court and they claimed 20M for damages.

Fellow Nigerians what can I do to this Lebanese company that want to deprive me of my right in my own precious Nigeria where I dey hustle to feed family and make it in life.

Please what can I do 😂.

Kindly check the attached document they said I signed, of which it was signed after like 8months of starting with the previous company.

We didn't have HR when we started in 2018, I was the one that recommended the HR through a friend from my Church. The HR is the one persecuting me and acting as a witness in court against me.

Please help.

I will assumed you sign the non compete agreement.

Note the following: The basis of taking you to court will not hold ground in Nigeria therefore do not be afraid.
The company engaged you for over 3 years at the rate of 150,000 naira and has not increased your salary. The cost of living in Nigeria has risen above 300%.

You resigned because you have a familly couple with your parents who relied on the salary. Now the salary cannot feed your family again, the need for you to seek opportunity somewhere else.

I REPEAT FEAR NOT
FEAR NOT

2 Likes

Re: Previous Company Sued Me To Court After I Got Another Job With A Company. by Chem2020: 4:41pm On Jan 27, 2023
Othniel4mi:

2. Only your salary

Please what can I do 😂.

Please help.

The documents you shared has a 'non-competition' clause. And the clause is well spelt out
They will definitely win you.
But if your lawyers can prove that such clause can't be enforced without tempering your fundermental human right ,then victory is yours

3 Likes

Re: Previous Company Sued Me To Court After I Got Another Job With A Company. by Celsony: 4:41pm On Jan 27, 2023
Report them on radio Waziobia 95.1 FM
Re: Previous Company Sued Me To Court After I Got Another Job With A Company. by Segzy19: 4:42pm On Jan 27, 2023
Another angle to it!

TOPCRUISE:
Counter sue them for 10 billion naira for damages and attempt to invoke a slave contract. Shey make person no work again

2 Likes

Re: Previous Company Sued Me To Court After I Got Another Job With A Company. by HoluwaKoDeD(m): 4:44pm On Jan 27, 2023
That non competition clause did not state date when the three year balablu should take place. So it can rightly be when you were still a staff there. Considering that in mind, 3years yaff pass be that
If you're in Abuja, I could connect you to a lawyer directly
Re: Previous Company Sued Me To Court After I Got Another Job With A Company. by luluman: 4:45pm On Jan 27, 2023
Othniel4mi:

2. Only your salary

Please what can I do 😂.

Please help.
Don't waste time, just get a lawyer quck
Re: Previous Company Sued Me To Court After I Got Another Job With A Company. by seanwilliam(m): 4:48pm On Jan 27, 2023
Segzy19:
See ignorance.... If it is a good case, a lawyer can take it up pro-bono. I'm sure you don't know the meaning of pro-bono
I don’t know what that means . But I know there’ll be provision for that under the law.
Beside I’m just catching cruise .

1 Like

Re: Previous Company Sued Me To Court After I Got Another Job With A Company. by Jaaqofalltrade(m): 4:51pm On Jan 27, 2023
GboyegaD:
The good side in my opinion is that the non-competition clause did not state after 3 years of leaving the organization. Get a good lawyer.

I totally agree with you. The offer letter mentioned 3 years but did not state whether the 3 years is during his stay with the company or after resignation. Only me sef go argue this case without lawyer

3 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

7 Things You Should Cross Check Before Sending Off A CV / Post Your Vacancies On Nairalist.com: It's Easy And It's Free / Npower: How The Soft Loan Will Be Disbursed By The CBN

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 95
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.