Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,162,696 members, 7,851,379 topics. Date: Wednesday, 05 June 2024 at 06:08 PM

Currency Redesign: To Extend The Deadline Will Defeat The Aim - Politics (10) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Currency Redesign: To Extend The Deadline Will Defeat The Aim (24859 Views)

Currency Redesign: Godwin Emefiele Address The Diplomatic Community / Naira Redesign To Curb Vote Buying: Emefiele Is A Godsent - Murray-bruce / Naira Crisis: Emefiele Discloses Why Currency Redesign Policy Is Failing (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Currency Redesign: To Extend The Deadline Will Defeat The Aim by Agadinaagwuofe: 1:31pm On Jan 29, 2023
omonnakoda:
Nigeria is a very dollarized economy and so not having new notes will not change anything if you have dollars
Dollars are even better for corruption because of size/volume
If I was a politician planning to buy votes I would not have been holding naira by now
Dollars are easier to manage

How much of a dollar can you get? The dollar the politicians have are in soft form, I mean it is in account and can only be transferred through telegraphic but to get the physical equivalent will be difficult, let's even assume they were able to stockpile dollars they will still need to change it to naira if they want to use it to prosecute election abi na dollar dem go share for polling units, abi corrupt security personnels go gree collect dollar let alone INEC officials, whichever way yo want to take a look at it, you will still need to use naira and not few naira, you need trillions of naira to be able to have your say.
Re: Currency Redesign: To Extend The Deadline Will Defeat The Aim by omonnakoda: 1:44pm On Jan 29, 2023
Agadinaagwuofe:

How much of a dollar can you get? The dollar the politicians have are in soft form, I mean it is in account and can only be transferred through telegraphic but to get the physical equivalent will be difficult, let's even assume they were able to stockpile dollars they will still need to change it to naira if they want to use it to prosecute election abi na dollar dem go share for polling units, abi corrupt security personnels go gree collect dollar let alone INEC officials, whichever way yo want to take a look at it, you will still need to use naira and not few naira, you need trillions of naira to be able to have your say.
I do not know and I do don't believe you know any of this stuff you are asserting
I expressed my opinion based on assumptions just like you are too
You say the dollar politicians have is in account
You don't know this
It is an assumption
Certainly there are millions of dollars in cash in Nigeria
The so called black market is about cash
We heard of $43 million in cash discovered in an apartment in Lagos,till date we do not know what happened to it or who owns it
So based on that I can safely assume there are plenty of dollars in Nigeria
Re: Currency Redesign: To Extend The Deadline Will Defeat The Aim by omonnakoda: 1:48pm On Jan 29, 2023
JOLLOFman:
Neither am I bro, u are simply rude with little knowledge. My initial question was not disrespectful but u chose to drop unwise statements.
I am simply telling you I do not want to engage with. YOU
IT'S my right to have little knowledge or be unwise
I do not wish to engage you. You can speculate on why that may be
I owe you no explanation
Re: Currency Redesign: To Extend The Deadline Will Defeat The Aim by Obaaderemi2: 2:26pm On Jan 29, 2023
vikstandon:

If you still give most Nigerians 2 years, they would still not make this transition.

I kept advising some folks about making this adjustment since last year. All they kept saying is, "is this not Nigeria... E no go happen, they go extend am."

Nigerians need tough hand, to sway them to do the right thing.
The cost of minting money, the illegal transactions, the inflations calls for this policy.

Let's monitor how most of the money (transactions) move electronically.

CAD and USD is scarce is because, much isn't printed and in circulation. When a commodity is scarce the value increases.
We have made new discoveries...
This policy would sanitize our civil service, where these bags are carried and stored at home.

One Minister in Nigeria, claimed we owe tax, even when these deductions are being made from our salaries. He refused paying us our consequential adjustments (Minimum wage differential) accumulated since 2019, and pocketed over 2Billion.
We have sought for proof of our indebtedness, but none has been offered. He carried away this money in cash and it would rot with him.
The problem is the economy is too informal for this rush rush method. In India the same thing was tried. Now Indians were back to their largely informal ways in less than one year.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Currency Redesign: To Extend The Deadline Will Defeat The Aim by maasoap(m): 3:03pm On Jan 29, 2023
kingsways:
Countries don't just wake up redesign their currency because it involves a significant cost

Whilst reasons for redesign are numerous; in the case of Nigeria, Corruption is pandemic and a big problem. Corrupt and wicked Nigerians have stocked large amounts of cash outside the official financial system

One of aims of the current redesign exercise in Nigeria is obviously to tackle the issue of corruption by corrupt people who settle their corruption activities in cash

To extend the deadline will give these rogues more time to come up with ways to circumvent the redesign and therefore defeat the aim of the exercise.

Well, Mr Wickedness and Selfishness, bad news for you: it has been extended! Will you now hang yourself and do the world a favour?
Re: Currency Redesign: To Extend The Deadline Will Defeat The Aim by Agadinaagwuofe: 3:05pm On Jan 29, 2023
omonnakoda:
I do not know and I do don't believe you know any of this stuff you are asserting
I expressed my opinion based on assumptions just like you are too
You say the dollar politicians have is in account
You don't know this
It is an assumption
Certainly there are millions of dollars in cash in Nigeria
The so called black market is about cash
We heard of $43 million in cash discovered in an apartment in Lagos,till date we do not know what happened to it or who owns it
So based on that I can safely assume there are plenty of dollars in Nigeria

Well.... you agreed you don't know but believing I don't know either is laughable but I am telling you as someone that knows. The dollar in circulation are controlled by government, there is what is called Dutch auction, that is window the dollar is sold through secondary market and this is the only window BDC (black market people) buys from. The government can control amount of dollar sold to BDC and can also mop up dollar if there are too many of them in circulation. The millions of dollar in cash you see in Nigeria are released by CBN and can be easily recuperated if need be just that it has big consequences in the economy, about the money you are talking about, the huge amount was released by CBN there is no BDC that can buy such without government trace. Bros don't assume you can make your research, it would only be possible to have enough dollar if CBN and Buhari decides to be unfortunate and if they flood the society with dollar, it depletes the foreign reserve (which Nigeria don't even have) more which the impact will be much more than what they are preventing from hoarding naira.
Re: Currency Redesign: To Extend The Deadline Will Defeat The Aim by maasoap(m): 3:11pm On Jan 29, 2023
Felabrity:
These corrupt politicians can cry from now till tomorrow, Buhari will not move a dime

Ahh! Pity you. February 10th is the new date, sorry.
Some of you are simply wicked at heart. You don't mind your family members and friends losing their hard earned money as long as you think it will affect your enemies.
Even if those thieves don't get their money swap, what are they going to lose? The money they didn't work for? The money they stole? Lol
Won't they steal another ones in new notes if Buhari doesn't fix the system that allowed them to steal so much in the first place? Dumb people everywhere!
Re: Currency Redesign: To Extend The Deadline Will Defeat The Aim by Believeintruth: 3:13pm On Jan 29, 2023
membranus:

In case you don't know, the bank directors of the banks he use have already deliver lorry loads of the new currencies to his house, before you even saw a single note of the currencies.

Did you see the lorry loads delivering cash to his house?
Re: Currency Redesign: To Extend The Deadline Will Defeat The Aim by maasoap(m): 3:15pm On Jan 29, 2023
moscow007:
When Buhari approved increase in Electricity tariff, the masses cried politicians partied and praised Buhari

When Buhari closed the borders the masses starved and many died, yet the politicians didn't raise a finger for us.

When Covid-19 palliative was hoarded in different warehouses across the country, even a certain Govt shaded crocodile tears mocking the masses while hoarding their food...many lost their livelihood, hundreds died of starvation while politicians united and partied.

Nigerian youths protested and were shot at, rounded up and locked in cages...the Lagos Landlord ran away to enjoy his lavished vacation and never care. Just few weeks ago some End-Sars patriots were still being released...as we speak many are still locked up without charges

And now all of a sudden Nigerian Politicians Tinubu cares about your suffering... please tell us another joke.

Here are the fact, out of 11trillion notes printed by CBN in the past only about 3.35 trillion is in circulation, about 7.65 trillion is being hoarded by politicians and criminals.
No matter what any Urchin and Criminal will tell you, the newly printed notes is not even upto 3trillion to fully replace the cash in circulation talk more of the ones our Politicians hoarded, no matter your influence and control of the banking system no politician can easily replace the volume of cash hoarded...it's impossible!!

And for a fact, no common man will loose from this new policy, afterall 100 naira notes have not changed.

In few weeks time you will understand that this policy is one of the 3 succors Buhari's administration gave Nigerians in d midst of the suffering.

Toping the list are New electoral Act and New Power Plants.

Mumu man! All the old money that are being used to transact as at today doesn't belong to common man but your politicians, right?
Re: Currency Redesign: To Extend The Deadline Will Defeat The Aim by omonnakoda: 3:17pm On Jan 29, 2023
Agadinaagwuofe:

Well.... you agreed you don't know but believing I don't know either is laughable but I am telling you as someone that knows. The dollar in circulation are controlled by government, there is what is called Dutch auction, that is window the dollar is sold through secondary market and this is the only window BDC (black market people) buys from. The government can control amount of dollar sold to BDC and can also mop up dollar if there are too many of them in circulation. The millions of dollar in cash you see in Nigeria are released by CBN and can be easily recuperated if need be just that it has big consequences in the economy, about the money you are talking about, the huge amount was released by CBN there is no BDC that can buy such without government trace. Bros don't assume you can make your research, it would only be possible to have enough dollar if CBN and Buhari decides to be unfortunate and if they flood the society with dollar, it depletes the foreign reserve (which Nigeria don't even have) more which the impact will be much more than what they are preventing from hoarding naira.
Well I am honest about what I know
Have you ever heard the word

EPISTEMOLOGY?

How do you know?I
I say
I do not know
Because it is wise and less egoistic. You are here asserting stuff based on ego and zero evidence
Tell us how you know that politicians only have dollars in account and not cash
Please tell us how the government in Nigeria Control the dollar in circulation?
Nigerians enter the country everyday with dollars in cash and equally leave with same daily
How does government control this?

You claim that the millions of dollars I see in circulation are released by CBN

With respect that is nonsense

diaspora Nigerians remit billions of dollars yearly
Officially this was $20 billion last year
It does not go through the CBN
Imagine the nonsense you are saying about foreign reserves
Billions of dollars enter the country each year without passing through the CBN
What is the Net dollar earning of the CBN and how does it compare to diaspora remittances
The latter is more and does not go through any Dutch auction
Re: Currency Redesign: To Extend The Deadline Will Defeat The Aim by maasoap(m): 3:18pm On Jan 29, 2023
kingsways:

When you have the kind of monumental corruption as the type in Nigeria, you have to pay the price to end it

Are we now fighting corruption in reverse approach? Lol. This approach will never work! Thieves (politicians and civil servants) will abandone the old notes if they can't swap it or bank it and start stealing new notes all over again.
Re: Currency Redesign: To Extend The Deadline Will Defeat The Aim by maasoap(m): 3:26pm On Jan 29, 2023
kingsways:

If your cash is safely in your account, you can use POS or bank transfer to pay your bills. You don't need to rush to get the new money

You want to buy pepper here, meat there, oil here and pay okada man there! How long will that process take with each of them? How fast will your banks conclude the transactions for you? No guarantees.
An economy that wants to go cashless requires long term planning and implementation if you want it work and minimise the hardship on the masses. This knee jerk approach is a destructive wind that blows no good.

What does a thief actually lose if all what he loses is what he stole? Nothing really! He will simply steal again if the source is not blocked!

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Currency Redesign: To Extend The Deadline Will Defeat The Aim by Agadinaagwuofe: 3:28pm On Jan 29, 2023
omonnakoda:
Well I am honest about what I know
Have you ever heard the word

EPISTEMOLOGY?

How do you know?I
I say
I do not know
Because it is wise and less egoistic. You are here asserting stuff based on ego and zero evidence
Tell us how you know that politicians only have dollars in account and not cash
Please tell us how the government in Nigeria Control the dollar in circulation?
Nigerians enter the country everyday with dollars in cash and equally leave with same daily
How does government control this?

You claim that the millions of dollars I see in circulation are released by CBN

With respect that is nonsense

diaspora Nigerians remit billions of dollars yearly
It does not go through the CBN
What is the Net dollar earning of the CBN and how does it compare to diaspora remittances
The latter is more and does not go through any Dutch auction

At this point I will let you to go. The Diasporeans that send dollars do they send "raw cash"? even if the cash is transferred through telegraphic means, aren't you going to go bank to get the physical dollar? even after taking my time to explain to you how CBN controls the dollar you see.The most "ignorant" thing to posit is asking the bolded. are you for real? you mean the diaspora remittances are much bigger than all the oil we sold and remitted to foreign reserve account domiciled with CBN? Bros abeg have a good day. I actually wasted my time.
Re: Currency Redesign: To Extend The Deadline Will Defeat The Aim by omonnakoda: 3:36pm On Jan 29, 2023
Agadinaagwuofe:

At this point I will let you to go. The Diasporeans that send dollars do they send "raw cash"? even if the cash is transferred through telegraphic means, aren't you going to go bank to get the physical dollar? even after taking my time to explain to you how CBN controls the dollar you see.The most "ignorant" thing to posit is asking the bolded. are you for real? you mean the diaspora remittances are much bigger than all the oil we sold and remitted to foreign reserve account domiciled with CBN? Bros abeg have a good day. I actually wasted my time.
Many do send cash and even when they do not what has it to do with foreign reserves
Nigerians do bring in millions and take out millions throug the airport daily
In many countries at the airport they have dogs specifically smelling RETURNING Nigerian s FOR CASH. Ask any person who travels
Just last week a Nigerian forfeited $200000 in America
I used the word NET
Yes diaspora remittances are more than what the CBN put into the market
How much did Nigeria make from oil last year?I
WHERE WERE YOU WHEN CBN SAID NNPC REMITTED NOTHING for MONTHS
https://businessday.ng/energy/oilandgas/article/nnpc-fails-to-remit-to-fg-for-seven-straight-month/
When I say I do not know it is strength not weakness
When you assert you know it is weakness not strength
Of course Nigerian s being what they are do not only remit officially but unofficially too
last year officially it was $20 billion
Once again how do you know that politicians do not have dollars in cash?
I assert
You do not know this and you CANNOT know it

It is just speculation
Re: Currency Redesign: To Extend The Deadline Will Defeat The Aim by GENES11S: 3:37pm On Jan 29, 2023
okoroemeka:
my brother Nigeria is far from developed country

I understand but we have to start somewhere.

Developed countries did not just wake up one day and found themselves developed. Sacrifices are needed.

We cannot be sleeping on bike and expect miracles.
Re: Currency Redesign: To Extend The Deadline Will Defeat The Aim by omonnakoda: 4:08pm On Jan 29, 2023
Do you know that politicians can share recharge cards instead of money
People do not understand how criminally creative Nigerians can be.
Re: Currency Redesign: To Extend The Deadline Will Defeat The Aim by grandlexuz(m): 4:34pm On Jan 29, 2023
bergs2:

Oga, forget, this is affecting everyone.
If you had 9b in cash outside the financial system, you'll understand the reason the politicians are working against this move.
It will affect the politicians more.
Ask yourself, how much of the new notes were printed; how much will one politician stash away alone; why do you think the once empty senate sessions are becoming filled?
Well, they cannot be far from the fact that the move is targeted against them buying votes and other inducements.

If you were a politician will you hoard a billion Naira in Naira notes when storing in hard currencies like US dollars and Euro purchased through the black market is quite convenient. The majority of Politicians and corrupt officials hoard cash in hard currency.
Re: Currency Redesign: To Extend The Deadline Will Defeat The Aim by Yusufisraelj(m): 4:49pm On Jan 29, 2023
zoraro:

This is what they call Medicine after death. For almost eight years he did nothing but in just a few weeks before he leaves Nigeria will suddenly become an El Dorado (paradise). Sorry, but I'm not buying it.

Not necessarily, I read you correctly but at least it will help curb some excess that would have gone unchecked because of the use of the old notes.
Re: Currency Redesign: To Extend The Deadline Will Defeat The Aim by Nolevel666: 5:38pm On Jan 29, 2023
babyfaceafrica:

If I want to enter 250 bus, I should use bank transfer? If I wan buy pepper for market ko? Or take bike?.. Look, we need more new money that's my own. It isn't enough outside.
Nigeria runs a cash economy

Bros if nor be illiteracy and lack of infrastructure for Nigeria, we ought to have bus stations where you board via ticket payment.
All the bus drivers have to do is submit their account numbers and stuffs like that.
How many bus conductor you go see for canada?

The government should start planning on how to incorporate this tech into our everyday lives to make it easier for everyone
Re: Currency Redesign: To Extend The Deadline Will Defeat The Aim by bergs2: 6:01pm On Jan 29, 2023
grandlexuz:

If you were a politician will you hoard a billion Naira in Naira notes when storing in hard currencies like US dollars and Euro purchased through the black market is quite convenient. The majority of Politicians and corrupt officials hoard cash in hard currency.

Did I just hear you say that?
Re: Currency Redesign: To Extend The Deadline Will Defeat The Aim by plaindealer: 6:12pm On Jan 29, 2023
Lack of preparation, readiness, chaos and the poor handling of the whole process defeated the aim already so extending the deadline is the most prudent and sensible thing to do.

You can not create economic instability and hemorrhage just because you're changing naira notes or trying to meet your Illogical and damaging deadline.

We must learn to accept mistakes and errors and make adjustments as needed.
Re: Currency Redesign: To Extend The Deadline Will Defeat The Aim by honour7: 6:27pm On Jan 29, 2023
Ade3131:

They're a million and one ways to do that without alerting EFCC and every one of them know it except you.

Between 80 to 90% of them have filling stations and we all know these stations deal in cash. Hope you can use your tongue to count your teeth now?

You have not fully grasp the magnitude of what is happening, and why the cry, some people have up to or even more than 200billion naira in cash staked in their houses, how many filling stations and businesses would you think it would take to clean that amount of cash without raising suspicion within a month.
Re: Currency Redesign: To Extend The Deadline Will Defeat The Aim by kayusely70(m): 6:30pm On Jan 29, 2023
Felabrity:
These corrupt politicians can cry from now till tomorrow, Buhari will not move a dime
Buhari has shifted ground!
Re: Currency Redesign: To Extend The Deadline Will Defeat The Aim by omonnakoda: 6:30pm On Jan 29, 2023
honour7:

You have not fully grasp the magnitude of what is happening, and why the cry, some people have up to or even more than 200billion naira in cash staked in their houses, .
. How do You know
Re: Currency Redesign: To Extend The Deadline Will Defeat The Aim by kayusely70(m): 6:34pm On Jan 29, 2023
[color=#006600][/color] I
maasoap:

You want to buy pepper here, meat there, oil here and pay okada man there! How long will that process take with each of them? How fast will your banks conclude the transactions for you? No guarantees.
An economy that wants to go cashless requires long term planning and implementation if you want it work and minimise the hardship on the masses. This knee jerk approach is a destructive wind that blows no good.

What does a thief actually lose if all what he loses is what he stole? Nothing really! He will simply steal again if the source is not blocked!
You've spoken very well, intelligently and reasonable too!

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Currency Redesign: To Extend The Deadline Will Defeat The Aim by Salubata(m): 11:47am On Aug 07, 2023
sad
JOLLOFman:
Give us the source of your breaking news sir. When was it extended?

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

Anambra Bishop Presents Bible To Buhari / Labour May Re-consider Nationwide Protest Following Measures Announced By Tinubu / Terrorists Attack Military Base In Borno, Kill 3

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 85
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.