Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,205 members, 7,818,701 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 10:07 PM

Power Projects At 80% Completion, Says Govt - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Power Projects At 80% Completion, Says Govt (6218 Views)

Hon Tony Nwulu's Projects At Oshodi Isolo Federal Constituency 2 - Photos / 'Batman' To Launch Power Projects In Nigeria - ThisDay / Fashola Inspects Ikoyi Bridge Now At 80% Completion. Pics (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Power Projects At 80% Completion, Says Govt by OAM4J: 3:42am On Sep 08, 2011
[size=13pt]Power projects at 80% completion, says govt[/size]

THE Federal Executive Council (FEC) promised yesterday that under the lifespan of President Goodluck Jonathan’s administration, power generation and distribution would stabilise at 4,000 megawatts (mw).

The cabinet, which met yesterday in Abuja to receive the report on the power sector from the Presidential Projects Assessment Committee (PPAC), said most of the National Independent Power Projects (NIPPs) to raise the national output to 4,000mw were at 80 per cent completion stage.

But the government is not relying solely on the NIPPs to meet the national power demand, as it is exploring the potential of dams scattered in several parts of the country to boost electricity supply. The government also directed the completion of ongoing gas projects to further raise generation.

The panel is headed by former Minister of the Federal Capital Territory (FCT), Alhaji Ibrahim Bunu.

FEC directed both the Ministries of Power and Petroleum Resources to implement the gas master plan to ensure the efficiency of the gas projects.

The Council also approved the payment of N65.8 billion ($43.3 million) as counterpart funds to the Organisation of Petroleum Exporting Countries (OPEC) Fund for International Development.

At the end of the FEC meeting, Minister of Information, Labaran Maku, said there were many uncompleted dams, which could generate a lot of hydro-electricity for the country.

The Minister of Power, Prof. Barth Nnaji, said ahead of the panel’s report, his team had planned to ensure that the hydro-electric component of the multipurpose dams, was implemented in good time to generate more electricity.

Maku said the Council, presided by President Jonathan with the other members in attendance, “took a lot of time to receive the report of the committee set up by the President on the power sector.”

The President was said to have insisted that because of the significance of the committee’s job, there was need for FEC to examine it sector by sector, so that the government would derive maximum benefit from the recommendations.

Maku said: “The chairman and members of the committee in today’s (yesterday) meeting therefore focused on the power sector projects that are going on in some parts of the federation. They gave the Council a rundown of their tour of the projects, the level of progress and issues in the field.”

The report focused on what the government must do to ensure that the power projects were delivered in good time so that the major sector in which this nation is looking upon the government will give results in the lifetime of this administration, he said

The presidential panel toured all the NIPPs, the gas power projects, and recommended that the lapses in gas supply be addressed.

“Today (yesterday) the Ministries of Power and Petroleum Resources informed the Council that the gas master plan is already on ground and everything is being done to ensure that it is delivered, so that by the time the power projects are completed, there will be gas to run them.

“The NIPP which will give this country over 4,000mw of electricity are at about 80 per cent completion in the field. Government was happy about the progress being made in the field but we said we must not rest on our oars. One key recommendation, which the committee made, is that all over the country, there are uncompleted dams, which could generate a lot of hydro-electricity for the country. It particularly noted the Dadinkowa Dam in Gombe State, which has the capacity to deliver 34mw of electricity and there are several other dams stretching from Gombe, Osun, Kano and Katsina states that are also simply waiting for turbines to be installed to generate electricity.

“Also, the minister of power informed Council, that ahead of this report, they have planned to ensure that the hydro-electric component of this multipurpose dams are implemented in good time to generate additional power particularly in other parts of the country to stabilise electricity supply.

“So, if this is done in addition to the gas power projects on ground, it is expected that power will be delivered and it is expected that there will be some stability in power supply in the life span of this administration.”

Continue Here
Re: Power Projects At 80% Completion, Says Govt by PointB: 9:18am On Sep 08, 2011
^^^
We wait with bated breath.
Re: Power Projects At 80% Completion, Says Govt by Nobody: 9:25am On Sep 08, 2011
OAM4J:

THE Federal Executive Council (FEC) promised yesterday that under the lifespan of President Goodluck Jonathan’s administration, power generation and distribution would stabilise [/b]at 4,000 megawatts (mw).

“Also, the minister of power informed Council, that ahead of this report, they have planned to ensure that the hydro-electric component of this multipurpose dams are implemented in good time to generate additional power particularly in other parts of the country to [b]stabilise
electricity supply.

“So, if this is done in addition to the gas power projects on ground, it is expected that power will be delivered and it is expected that there will be some stability in power supply in the life span of this administration.”

Continue Here

Talk about setting the bar so low!
I see now that despite Prof Baji's better intention, the FEC's objective is to attain stable power output of no more than 4,000Megawatts between now and 2015 cry
Re: Power Projects At 80% Completion, Says Govt by Gbawe: 9:35am On Sep 08, 2011
PointB:

^^^
We wait with bated breath.

You must have missed this:

THE Federal Executive Council (FEC) promised yesterday that under the lifespan of President Goodluck Jonathan’s administration, power generation and distribution would stabilise at 4,000 megawatts (mw).

certainly , the article makes no sense as far as the targets GEJ talked of previously before the elections . Current total installed capacity is around 4,000 MW anyway with achievable peak , for now,  being around 3,600 MW - give or take . The OBJ Govt spent billions of dollars .Yar Adua spent also. Nada increase.

Now GEJ also wants to spend only so we stabilize at our optimal capacity of 4,000 MW  It is either the report is erroneous or I must ask : when will we Nigerians stop supporting these silly and rudimentary scams to begin asking our irredeemably corrupt FG to get out of the power sector?
Re: Power Projects At 80% Completion, Says Govt by Bawss1(m): 9:45am On Sep 08, 2011
^I want to believe that the report is erroneous.
Re: Power Projects At 80% Completion, Says Govt by 76Naira(m): 12:49pm On Sep 08, 2011
My brother, no errors in the calamity filled Nigerian report.
As bad as the news can be, it happens in Naija.
Re: Power Projects At 80% Completion, Says Govt by Kobojunkie: 12:54pm On Sep 08, 2011
Power projects on time to deliver the 4000MW they were supposed to have delivered back during the Yar adua years, and also failed to deliver on during the first 465days of Jonathan's own administration??  They are still at about 80% completion, even after all that time? WOW . . . I needs to gets me into the SPIN-Business ooo!! grin grin grin
Re: Power Projects At 80% Completion, Says Govt by kizito96(m): 12:56pm On Sep 08, 2011
Until we see the improvement of electricity, then we will know they are saying the truth. we are used to good speech
Re: Power Projects At 80% Completion, Says Govt by Garb: 1:07pm On Sep 08, 2011
A performing government does not talk much but it her result that will speak for them. This government is talkative.
Re: Power Projects At 80% Completion, Says Govt by Nymphnode(m): 1:19pm On Sep 08, 2011
Well, I have not fired my gen set this month sha so maybe that is a good thing. . .
Re: Power Projects At 80% Completion, Says Govt by atasteve: 1:41pm On Sep 08, 2011
So help us God
Re: Power Projects At 80% Completion, Says Govt by Gbawe: 1:45pm On Sep 08, 2011
Garb:

A performing government does not talk much but it her result that will speak for them. This government is talkative.

You would be talkative too if , impotently, talk is the only actual weapon you have. Those who sought power for the mere sake of it are now in power. This is why we have far more talk than action.
Re: Power Projects At 80% Completion, Says Govt by akinnux(m): 1:58pm On Sep 08, 2011
Good report on power projects but it is not yet uhuru. Let them start new projects right away. I could recall that it was Obasanjo that started these projects they are completing. Obasanjo also built many of the power stations that currently serve the nation. Let President Jonathan complete these ones, start his own power projects and complete them before leaving in 2015 so that he can at least point to something after his tenure.
Re: Power Projects At 80% Completion, Says Govt by Omooba77: 1:59pm On Sep 08, 2011
We did a party about a month ago and do you believe no generator was used. So I guess things are improving. I heard it on WAZOBIA FM recently,whether the machine wey PHCN dey take quench light don spoil!
Re: Power Projects At 80% Completion, Says Govt by Refugee1: 2:08pm On Sep 08, 2011
The Federal Government always say shit. They are always on top of every situation even when the reality suggest otherwise.

Okay, let's assume that the utilities manage to generate more than 4,000MW, the transmission and distribution infrastructure cannot effectively evacuate this amount of power. The last time the utilities attempted to 4,000MW in July this year, the transmission network nearly collapsed.

What happened to the $3.5 billion contract that GEJ signed in September last year for the construction of a national super grid? This is exactly a year since the contract was signed yet nothing is on ground to show that the project has commenced.

The 15MW first phase Gurara hydroelectric station was commissioned sometime last year. Up till now the power being continuously generated is yet to be evacuated. What stops the government from constructing say a 66KV transmission line from Gurara to maybe Suleja and environs. And why was transmission infrastructure not included in the overall cost of erecting the plant?

The Rivers state government has the capacity to generate over 100MW from their Omoku gas turbine IPP station, yet they cannot because they been warned by the Federal Government not to feed into the grid. Why?

The Oyan dam and Ikere Gorge hydroelectric stations have enormous potentials to generate 30MW combined.

In 1983 when 3 turbines of 3MW each were installed in Oyan, one of the plants was run for about 50 minutes after which the entire system was shut down and abandoned till today. Despite the fact that a transmission line was constructed, why was the power not supplied to Abeokuta and environs?

In Ikere, 2 turbines of 3MW each were supplied but not installed since 1985 till now. Why?

There are a good number of other dams with hydroelectric components such as Tiga dam, Dadin Kowa dam, etc all lying waste.

Above all, why does the government depend on Shell for gas supply for the thermal power stations. Anytime Shell turns the valve on gas supply, the entire nation is thrown into darkness. Electricity supply is a matter of national security for countries who know the value of it.  

So GEJ stop talking and start acting.
Re: Power Projects At 80% Completion, Says Govt by COMPAQ(m): 2:15pm On Sep 08, 2011
Electricity has certainly improved in the last 4 months where I stay in PH. I believe the reference to 4000MW was erroneous.
Re: Power Projects At 80% Completion, Says Govt by awumen: 2:17pm On Sep 08, 2011
@refugee1,so many good questions my brother but unfortunately NON,no even one FEC member can give a good answer
Re: Power Projects At 80% Completion, Says Govt by Johnpaul2k2(m): 2:17pm On Sep 08, 2011
I DON'T UNDERSTAND cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy
Re: Power Projects At 80% Completion, Says Govt by megastu(m): 2:18pm On Sep 08, 2011
Rubbish. Nearly cannot kill a bird. Give us 100% period.
Re: Power Projects At 80% Completion, Says Govt by profatom: 2:19pm On Sep 08, 2011
its all sweet talks and boasting, theyall know d thoery, know how to implement, but they will still keep on saying it but u will never see d outcome, they count us as fools but as 4 me i done looose myself
Re: Power Projects At 80% Completion, Says Govt by awumen: 2:21pm On Sep 08, 2011
my concern is not about few areas with 'improved' electricity, we concern remains the so many abandoned projects in the country both electricity and a others.lgo round and count the abandon roads project,abandon gas project, abandon these, abandon that in every states of the federation. i tink the govt should rather set up a  committee to revieve some of these project rather than start a fresh one so as the abandoned projects can stil deliver
Re: Power Projects At 80% Completion, Says Govt by beethoven: 2:23pm On Sep 08, 2011
Our main problem has never been attaining 4000MW. Our main problem is how to sustain it. What I have observed in times past is that government buys all these turbines, alternators etc, attain the targeted MW of electricity for a day or several days, then the equipment begin to breakdown one after the other and then we are back to where we started. To me, sustainability should be the main goal. That would determine if we should do 4000MW for several days or weeks, then go back to where we started, or we should do 1500MW/2000MW and be able to sustain it for as many years, until we are ready to improve on that capacity.
Re: Power Projects At 80% Completion, Says Govt by zoraro(m): 2:32pm On Sep 08, 2011
80% is good enough for me. For the past weeks I have hardly used my generating set here in Lagos, If this level can be maintained I for one will be more than happy.

But, as is usual  people are already giving the credit to the Lagos State government, I don,t know if this people are just plain stu.pid or they simply will never/cannot wish good for anyone else but there own.

It is obvious now that the problem is not megawatts generated but reducing or eliminating the wasted capacities.
Re: Power Projects At 80% Completion, Says Govt by ideylaff: 2:35pm On Sep 08, 2011
Ds people just dey lie on a daily basis since 100 days of GEJ, so smelly and annoying,

Re: Power Projects At 80% Completion, Says Govt by ELEOVIE(m): 2:56pm On Sep 08, 2011
According to ThisDay report, President Jonathan observed at a meeting of PACP in Abuja that “demand for energy is far greater than available capacity,…” and further noted that “South Africa, a nation of some 47 million people generates about 50,000MW. For Nigeria, a nation of 150 million people to realize the ambition of becoming one of the 20 largest economies in the world by the year 2020, we should be thinking of producing some 80,000MW as soon as possible.”

Now, the question is, how feasible is it to bridge the gap in just 10 years, as this would require annual supplementary provision of about 7.700MW annually for the next 10 years to supplement the meager current capacity of 3000MW! Well, the Punch editorial of 22/4/2010 notes that “former President Obasanjo was believed to have spent $10bn to revive the sector through the National Integrated Power Projects (NIPP) without commensurate results. Under his successor, Umaru Yar’Adua, a special intervention fund of about $5.09bn (N7626.92bn) was disbursed in a futile bid to generate 6000MW by the end of 2009! …”

Thus, Nigeria expended about $15bn to increase power supply by about 3000MW to the projected 6000MW; in other words, each 1000MW cost about $5bn (with the target still elusive)! In view of President Jonathan’s expectation of 80000MW, a schedule of 7700MW annual capacity expansion will be needed at a cost of about $38.5bn; meanwhile, the total federal budget for 2010 for all government recurrent and projected capital expenses may be less than $27bn, about N4.5 trillion!

http://www.vanguardngr.com/2011/05/why-adequate-power-will-remain-elusive-3/

As at 2006, Singapore had twice Nigeria's energy consumption while Belgium had six times Nigeria's consumption figure. Nigeria at 50 currently has 4,000 MW but needs, according to Nigeria Energy Commission, 50,000 MW of electricity to realise Vision 20:2020 goals. If it took us 50 years to achieve 4,000 MW, how is it feasible to achieve 50, 000 in 10 years? Added to all this, Lagos Nigeria's largest industrial conurbation currently has only 25 percent of the industries in operation and Kano 5 percent, research by the Revenue Mobilisation, Allocation and Fiscal Commission reveals. How and when would the collapsed industries be revived to previous levels and new ones thrive.

Not having the art of looking into the crystal ball and without the extraordinary minds of Nostradamus and George Orwell, it will be futile for me as a commentator to predict what Nigeria would become in the next fifty years. Hopefully, Nigeria would prove the dooms day predictions wrong and remain a strong, united, virile and prosperous nation with well established democratic institutions which its citizens will all be proud of. Survivors should be able to look back with pride and rate the first 50 years of independence as the 'bad old days,' instead of assessing their time by describing the first five decades of independence as the 'good old days'.

http://www.thisdaylive.com/articles/issues-in-our-independence-anniversary/81947/
Re: Power Projects At 80% Completion, Says Govt by sley4life(m): 3:03pm On Sep 08, 2011
i dont think we can have constant power supply with 4,000mw.Presently we are having over 3000mw with less than 5hrs power supply
Re: Power Projects At 80% Completion, Says Govt by Nobody: 3:24pm On Sep 08, 2011
It's a shame. 4'000 MW after all the money that has been spent. Even an illitrate should know that 50'000MW is not achievable in 100yrs at the rate we are going. Sorry to say we are being ruled by fools that continue to dance in shame.
Re: Power Projects At 80% Completion, Says Govt by odomanis: 3:27pm On Sep 08, 2011
i do not know where the poster got his information about 4000mw by 2015. what i heard nnaji say is that they want to hit 5000mw by may 2012. for those who are saying that gej is only completing projects started by others,is it not better than the old tradition of a new government abandoning projects started by predecessors only to start new ones yet they will not complete them until they leave office? gej said nigeria should judge him from june 2012,let us give him that benefit of doubt. i still believe that nigerians should be grateful to god for this gej team. this is the best team ever to be assembled by any nigerian president and i can see sincerity,commitment and competence in them. take for instance okonjo iweala,apart from her educational qualifications,she has enough practical experience on finance and economy,no wonder she rose to become the md/ceo of the world bank. look at deziani allison madueke,until she was made minister,she worked with shell and rose to become an executive director in shell. look at bath nnaji,the engineer par excellence,we are already filling the impact of his magic wand.is it shamsudeen usman?former cbn deputy governor who is now in national planning. what of segun aganga? former ceo of godman saachs,a formost global financial and economic consulting firm. then you talk of omobola johnson,former chairman of accenture nigeria,another global consultancy firm of repute. if with all these experts and technocrats nigeria did not get it right,am afraid we may never get it right again as a nation. so, those of you who are praying day and night for them not to succeed,those who are distracting them with bomb blasts and all that,remember that all of us and our future generation will suffer it. elections are over,let us rally round the only president of the only country we have, nigeria so that we shall all succeed and be happy together. god bless nigeria.
Re: Power Projects At 80% Completion, Says Govt by unongu(m): 3:45pm On Sep 08, 2011
One step forward, two steps backwards, Naija I Hail Thee!

Re: Power Projects At 80% Completion, Says Govt by zoraro(m): 3:59pm On Sep 08, 2011
I just heard this same report on Channels TV and it is clear that the 4000MW is an addition that will be made to the present generation capacity, the person that wrote the report presented here should go back to journalism school angry.
Re: Power Projects At 80% Completion, Says Govt by kufreabasi(m): 4:02pm On Sep 08, 2011
OAM4J:

The cabinet, which met yesterday in Abuja to receive the report on the power sector from the Presidential Projects Assessment Committee (PPAC), said most of the National Independent Power Projects (NIPPs) to raise the national output to 4,000mw were at 80 per cent completion stage.

But the government is not relying solely on the NIPPs to meet the national power demand, as it is exploring the potential of dams scattered in several parts of the country to boost electricity supply. The government also directed the completion of ongoing gas projects to further raise generation.

The panel is headed by former Minister of the Federal Capital Territory (FCT), Alhaji Ibrahim Bunu.

FEC directed both the Ministries of Power and Petroleum Resources to implement the gas master plan to ensure the efficiency of the gas projects.

The Council also approved the payment of N65.8 billion ($43.3 million) as counterpart funds to the Organisation of Petroleum Exporting Countries (OPEC) Fund for International Development.

At the end of the FEC meeting, Minister of Information, Labaran Maku, said there were many uncompleted dams, which could generate a lot of hydro-electricity for the country.

The Minister of Power, Prof. Barth Nnaji, said ahead of the panel’s report, his team had planned to ensure that the hydro-electric component of the multipurpose dams, was implemented in good time to generate more electricity.

Maku said the Council, presided by President Jonathan with the other members in attendance, “took a lot of time to receive the report of the committee set up by the President on the power sector.”

The President was said to have insisted that because of the significance of the committee’s job, there was need for FEC to examine it sector by sector, so that the government would derive maximum benefit from the recommendations.

Maku said: “The chairman and members of the committee in today’s (yesterday) meeting therefore focused on the power sector projects that are going on in some parts of the federation. They gave the Council a rundown of their tour of the projects, the level of progress and issues in the field.”

The report focused on what the government must do to ensure that the power projects were delivered in good time so that the major sector in which this nation is looking upon the government will give results in the lifetime of this administration, he said

The presidential panel toured all the NIPPs, the gas power projects, and recommended that the lapses in gas supply be addressed.

“Today (yesterday) the Ministries of Power and Petroleum Resources informed the Council that the gas master plan is already on ground and everything is being done to ensure that it is delivered, so that by the time the power projects are completed, there will be gas to run them.

“The NIPP which will give this country over 4,000mw of electricity are at about 80 per cent completion in the field. Government was happy about the progress being made in the field but we said we must not rest on our oars. One key recommendation, which the committee made, is that all over the country, there are uncompleted dams, which could generate a lot of hydro-electricity for the country. It particularly noted the Dadinkowa Dam in Gombe State, which has the capacity to deliver 34mw of electricity and there are several other dams stretching from Gombe, Osun, Kano and Katsina states that are also simply waiting for turbines to be installed to generate electricity.

“Also, the minister of power informed Council, that ahead of this report, they have planned to ensure that the hydro-electric component of this multipurpose dams are implemented in good time to generate additional power particularly in other parts of the country to stabilise electricity supply.

Continue Here

These are all the biggest lie so far. They should blindfold us with this nonesense talk that can't wake small baby from sleep. we need action. Enough of these.
Re: Power Projects At 80% Completion, Says Govt by eherbal(m): 5:25pm On Sep 08, 2011
grin grin grin grin grin grin STORY,STORY, grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

(1) (2) (Reply)

Nigerians In New York Plan To #occupynigeria House On January 10th? / FG Is Working ‘very Hard’ To Contain Security Challenges-jonathan / New Video Emgerges Of The Nigeria Army Attack On The Hussainiyyah (Shia Mosque)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 71
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.