Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,930 members, 7,824,913 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 08:58 PM

Microsoft Access Database - Please Help Me - Programming - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / Microsoft Access Database - Please Help Me (2354 Views)

SQL STUFF Function Equivalent For Microsoft Access Database / Problem With Connecting Access Database To VB.NET / How To Deploy Application With Access Database In Vb.net 2008 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Microsoft Access Database - Please Help Me by topea(m): 3:07pm On Sep 09, 2011
I need someone to help me.

1) My access database is very slow on client systems, only the server is ok with speed.
what do i do. network is wired not wireless
2) How can i convert the database to vb.net
3) How can i lock it not to allow access to the primary table.

Thank you
Re: Microsoft Access Database - Please Help Me by kanirip: 5:11pm On Sep 09, 2011
topea:

I need someone to help me.

1) My access database is very slow on client systems, only the server is ok with speed.
what do i do. network is wired not wireless
2) How can i convert the database to vb.net
3) How can i lock it not to allow access to the primary table.

Thank you

I will respond to your questions in hope that you will answer my own question at the end of this post:

1) How did you measure the speed of your Access Database? Are you measuring Speed times of read or writes? How do you know that the server speed is OK?
2) You can not convert a Database ( Access ) to a Programming Language ( VB.NET)
3) Why would anyone want to do this? Well one solution would be use a DB user ( I am not sure if Access even has this) that does not have access to the primary table.

Now my MAIN Question: WHY IN THE NAME OF SATAN ARE YOU USING MS-ACCESS AT ALL?

Cheers!
Re: Microsoft Access Database - Please Help Me by topea(m): 6:06pm On Sep 09, 2011
1) How did you measure the speed of your Access Database? Are you measuring Speed times of read or writes? How do you know that the server speed is OK?
The upload and write time on the server is much fast and almost instantneous, but it drags on the client before it uploads or writes

2) You can not convert a Database ( Access ) to a Programming Language ( VB.NET)
To what program can i export my tables, forms and reports to make it executable.

3) Why would anyone want to do this? Well one solution would be use a DB user ( I am not sure if Access even has this) that does not have access to the primary table.
Please tell me how to use a DB user.

I am not a professional programmer and i just got to learn Access just as we learn excel and Word. I perfected it and able to do a lot with it. Did not learn programming perse.
I hope you can understand my position and assist to help me further.
Thanks
Re: Microsoft Access Database - Please Help Me by NET1(m): 5:48pm On Sep 10, 2011
I can only anwer 2 and 3 right now:

Question 2: You cannot convert it to VB.NET because VB.NET uses web controls. Access uses Windows controls. However, you can 'connect' the Access database to the VB.NET. Here's how:

Open your VB.NET application. Click on Project menu, select component. Insert an ADO control. Select the ADO control. On the Properties, specify the Record source (which is your access database). Then, you specify the Data Fields (which are the fields in your Access Database).

Your database should be able to connect to your VB.NET application very well.

Question 3: You can stop people by using any of these options:
a: Hide the Primary Table. To do this, just select the table in the navigation bar of Microsoft Access. Right click it and choose Hide.

b: Alternatively, you can convert the Access Database to a MDE or ACCDE file. To do this, (if you are using MS OFFICE 2007) click on the Tools menu, click Database Utilities, then click on Make MDE file. But if you are using MS OFFICE 2007, click on the menu called 'Database Tools', then you click on Make ACCDE file'

Warning:The MDE or ACCDE thing is a permanent change o. Make sure you have a backup copy before you do it.

If you have any other challenges or other things you'd like to do, you can call me on 08037971139. PS: Access is very powerful. The only thingis that SQL Server or ORACLE are better Database engines for server-based applications
Re: Microsoft Access Database - Please Help Me by topea(m): 7:32am On Sep 13, 2011
Thanks a lot .NET. I really appreciate this. i will let you know as it goes. If I have any other challenge I will sure let you know.
Re: Microsoft Access Database - Please Help Me by kanirip: 5:32pm On Sep 13, 2011
topea:

The upload and write time on the server is much fast and almost instantneous, but it drags on the client before it uploads or writes

To what program can i export my tables, forms and reports to make it executable.

Please tell me how to use a DB user.

I am not a professional programmer and i just got to learn Access just as we learn excel and Word. I perfected it and able to do a lot with it. Did not learn programming perse.
I hope you can understand my position and assist to help me further.
Thanks

I tip my hat to you topea, most people would have taken my post as offensive but not you. You have been able to eloquently reply to most of my questions. I must say that I am quite impressed!

If you need any help or have any further questions , please put it here and I promise to offer as much assistance that I can give. ( Sorry I can not put my number)

And another point, if you continue with your attitude I am quite certain that you will become a professional programmer if you want to .
Re: Microsoft Access Database - Please Help Me by topea(m): 7:27pm On Sep 13, 2011
Thank you my pal.
I am a person that see objectivity in criticism, to me the post was make to challenge me
and make me to learn, so it is not at all offensive. thanks all the same.
Re: Microsoft Access Database - Please Help Me by tundebabzy: 1:01pm On Sep 19, 2011
@topea:
Sorry to troll and I'm not trying to diss you but you should consider upgrading your knowledge because I'm sure you are the only person in the world still using MS Access :d
Re: Microsoft Access Database - Please Help Me by topea(m): 3:03pm On Sep 19, 2011
Thank you all.
Can someone just tell me how to start a VB application?
Is one of those CDs we get to buy from computer village the right one to load?

Just get me to the point where the platform is loaded on my system and i can start and continue with my project.

I am willing to learn, please tech me.

Thanks
Re: Microsoft Access Database - Please Help Me by kanirip: 3:21pm On Sep 19, 2011
Hello again.

I was of the impression that you were already developing your application in MS - Access. Have you changed your mind?

Anyway if you need VB , you can install Visual Studio 2005 ( the last VS I was in any way familiar with) but it takes a lot of resources ( memory, disk space, virtual mem) and yes you can buy Visual Studio from the roads in Computer Village.

Visual Studio has Visual Basic as part of its suite of Applications as well as DB integrators for DBMSs such as Access.

Post if you need any further information.

BR,
Re: Microsoft Access Database - Please Help Me by NET1(m): 11:31am On Sep 20, 2011
tundebabzy:

@topea:
Sorry to troll and I'm not trying to diss you but you should consider upgrading your knowledge because I'm sure you are the only person in the world still using MS Access :d

wrong! I still use Microsoft Access. Yes, and it has proved helpful. In as much as I agree he has to upgrade and learn more sophisticated Database Engines, Microsoft Access is a powerful Database software. It's not every project that requires you to engage SQL Server or ORACLE. Some small databases intended to run on just a few systems can be arranged with Access.

Topea, you can get a free copy of Microsoft Visual Studio. I think Microsoft provides an Express Edition for learners to work with. Let me warn: It consumes a lot of hardware resources e.g RAM, Processor, etc.
Re: Microsoft Access Database - Please Help Me by topea(m): 8:15pm On Sep 22, 2011
Thank you guys. i appreciate you all. i will be asking for more assistance as i move further in the upgrade of my knowledge.
Re: Microsoft Access Database - Please Help Me by topea(m): 11:59pm On Sep 22, 2011
Thank you all once again. Please how can i build an SQL server? I also understand Access can be upgraded unto an SQL Server, i have tried this but its not working, it tells me SQL server name not valid or does not exist (not using precise words) but something in that line).

I see you all as my teachers and you will help me in the upgrade of my knowledge.

Thank you
Re: Microsoft Access Database - Please Help Me by NET1(m): 1:33pm On Sep 23, 2011
You can either build an SQL Server database from scratch by installing the SQL Server software CD. Just buy MSSQL Server 2008. However, the express edition is free.

Alternatively, you can connect your Access forms to an SQL Server database engine by taking the following steps:

1. Open your Access database.
2. Click on the Database Tools Menu. In the 'Move data' subset, click on SQL Server. The wizard that follows should be able to help you connect your Access Forms to your SQL Server Database.

Gaskia! wink

.NET

(1) (Reply)

My MERN Stack Ecommerce Web Application / Java Game Programming / Plz Can Anyone Solve This Using C++?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 40
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.