Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,815 members, 7,810,129 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 09:19 PM

Tips on car maintenance and how 2 drive Automatic cars - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Tips on car maintenance and how 2 drive Automatic cars (32702 Views)

What Are The Functions Of The 'd', 'd3', 'd2' And 'd1' Of Automatic Cars / Mechanics And The Pranks They Play On Car Owners. Share Your Experience / How To Drive Automatic Vehicles (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Tips on car maintenance and how 2 drive Automatic cars by baba4u93(m): 12:11pm On Nov 22, 2010
Driving an automatic transmission car is a little different from the usual manual cars. It can even be said that it is easier to drive an automatic transmission car, as the driver does not require learning clutch control and changing gears, which is probably the most troublesome task for all drivers and learners. An automatic transmission does everything on its own, providing the person on the driver's seat with utmost comfort. However, as the functioning and operation of automatic transmission is different, one definitely needs to know how to drive it, before actually experiencing the luxury. Given below are some tips regarding the same
Modes Of Automatic Transmission

Park (P): This mechanism restricts the car movement in any direction by mechanically locking the transmission. However, the non-drive wheels of the car may still spin freely. Therefore, using the hand brake (or parking brake) is advised to lock the rear wheels, so that they don’t move. A car can be prevented from moving even if a worn selector accidentally drops into reverse gear, if the hand brake is efficiently adjusted.

Reverse (R): This mechanism gives the car the ability to drive backwardsby putting the care into the reverse gear. The car must come to a complete stop and then the shift lock button is to be pushed, followed by selecting reverse. Severe damage to the transmission can be caused, if the vehicle doesn’t come to a complete stop. Reverse mechanism mostly consists of a solenoid-controlled physical barrier on either side of the Reverse position. A switch on the brake pedal engages this physical barrier electronically.

Neutral/No Gear (N): This mechanism allows the car to move freely under its own weight, by disconnecting the transmission from the wheels. No Gear is the only other selection in which it is possible to start the car.

Drive (D): Drive mechanism helps the car to move forward and accelerate. This is done through the range of gears provided by the selection. The number of gears in a transmission will vary from model to model. However, the gears commonly range from 3 to 8, depending upon the car model. The newer models of Lexus and BMW cars come with 8 gears.

Tips for Driving an Automatic Transmission Car
There are only two foot pedals in an automatic transmission car - the brake and gas pedals.
Both the pedals are operated by driver's right foot and so the left foot rests on the floor.
The gear selector has the following markings, P for Park, R for Reverse, N for Neutral and D for driving. Neural is used if the car has to be pushed or towed.
Before starting the car, put the gear in Park (P).
After this, turn on the engine.
Now, press the brake pedal down with your right foot.
Change the gear lever from park option to drive option.
Hold the handbrake and look all around, including the blind spots, to make sure it is safe to move.
If it is safe all around, release the handbrake.
In case there are other vehicles around, use your indicators.
Slowly, lift your foot off the brake, making the car move forward.
Put your foot on the gas pedal and press down to increase speed.

2 Likes

Re: Tips on car maintenance and how 2 drive Automatic cars by kayoday(m): 1:13pm On Nov 22, 2010
What position is best to put your gear when in traffic for several minutes, Park or Neutral?

1 Like

Re: Tips on car maintenance and how 2 drive Automatic cars by blinx4real(m): 2:01pm On Nov 22, 2010
Inside Lagos traffic - Keep your feet on the brake and leave gear in drive (else you'll end up sleeping at that spot)
Anywhere else in 9Ja - Put gear on Neutral; Keep your feet on the brake or use your handbrake
grin grin grin grin

In saner climes - when at a spot for a long time (e.g at a red light), Put gear in Park, release your feet from the brakes
Re: Tips on car maintenance and how 2 drive Automatic cars by sonibota: 8:06pm On Nov 22, 2010
Lest you guys forget, some gear systems have 1 and 2. What are their functins?
Re: Tips on car maintenance and how 2 drive Automatic cars by baba4u93(m): 8:34am On Nov 23, 2010
mostly in lagos traffic dat u tend 2 spend more dan 15-20 minutes at a spot u can put ur gear in neutral and apply ur hand brake but if it is d flowing traffic u can hold on to ur drive gear, as regard ur 1 and 2 gear pls read ur car owners manual sir.
Re: Tips on car maintenance and how 2 drive Automatic cars by Wylout: 9:16am On Nov 23, 2010
one of the reasons why i love nairaland!!!
Re: Tips on car maintenance and how 2 drive Automatic cars by baba4u93(m): 9:26am On Nov 23, 2010
nice 1 guy
Re: Tips on car maintenance and how 2 drive Automatic cars by baba4u93(m): 9:34am On Nov 23, 2010
CAR BUYING JUST GOT A WHOLE LOT EASIER!

Questions you're probably asking: What do you do when it's time to buy a car, one of the most frustrating experiences for women? You buckle up and take control! We're here to help you facilitate those aggravating details of buying a car and help you gather all the tools you need to make the best overall decision. Before we get started, have you asked yourself these questions: Will I buy new or used? Do I want to lease? How soon do I need this vehicle? How will I finance my purchase? That's a lot to think about
Re: Tips on car maintenance and how 2 drive Automatic cars by baba4u93(m): 9:36am On Nov 23, 2010
Car Maintenance Schedule
If you want to have a car that will last for thousands of miles, then you need to maintain it on a regular schedule. This is extremely important for the life of your car. There are many cars that are in the shop with expensive repairs or just dead because they weren't taken care of properly. We need to treat a car like we would treat ourselves; with plenty of attention and care. A car must have fluids checked and replaced on a regular schedule to run smoothly.
You can do many of these simple car maintenance tasks. If you set up a set time to check these on a regular basis, you will know when your car needs more attention.

Listed below are some of the things that need to be included in your maintenance schedule:

Oil and oil filter changes - This needs to be done every 3,000 miles no matter what. If you drive in a lot of heavy traffic, possibly doing a lot of commuting to and from work, you may want to have it changed more often. This is due to the higher stress placed on the engine from the heavy traffic and long hours the car runs at a time.

Spark plugs - These should be changed at least once a year. If you use the higher quality platinum spark plugs, then you should change them around every 60,000 miles. These cost a bit more, but are a much higher quality and will last twice as long Platinum spark plugs are not for every car. Check with your manufacturer or car manual before you choose to go this route. If your car is driving a little rough, the first things you may check are the spark plugs.

Air filter - This should also be checked on a regular basis, have them check it every time you have your oil changed. But the filter should be replaced at least once a year. This is a very inexpensive item yet, very important to keep your car running as it should.

Timing belt - This needs to be checked and changed every 60,000 miles or as your manufacturer suggests. This is something that is often neglected but is very important. If this is not running correctly, or quits working all together, you could lose your engine all together. It is best to have it changed every 50,000 miles to be on the safe side.

Tire rotation/replacement - Your tires should be rotated every 6 months. They need to be rotated from front to rear and also from the inside out if possible. Also, tires should be replaced every 2 or 3 years, depending on the wear and usage.

This is only a few of the things that need to be on your car maintenance schedule. This is so important to keep a healthy car running for a very long time.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Tips on car maintenance and how 2 drive Automatic cars by baba4u93(m): 2:22pm On Nov 24, 2010
bing bong

1 Like

Re: Tips on car maintenance and how 2 drive Automatic cars by rhythyson: 5:23pm On Nov 24, 2010
If i have 2007 car with just 40,000 kilo covered as at the time of purchase do you advice i change the plugs at the first servicing of the car when i purchase it? or rathar how do i know that my plugs are due for change even b4 the mechanic ask me to?

but you did a good job on this post the gbosa 4 u , that will be later after you answer my question sha grin grin grin grin grin cheesy
Re: Tips on car maintenance and how 2 drive Automatic cars by baba4u93(m): 10:03am On Nov 25, 2010
hi rhythyson, thanks 4 ur comment and really appreciate, now 2 start with u didnt mention d brand of car? more also 4 a mileage of 40k and 2007, will advise u flug d car 4 another 10k dats making 50k where u will do a comprehensive maintainance, changing d plug, drainning d brake fluid, brake pads, power and transmission oil, wheel bearing and bushings etc,
hope av done justice 2 ur question sir, av a great day
Re: Tips on car maintenance and how 2 drive Automatic cars by baba4u93(m): 10:05am On Nov 25, 2010
;d
Re: Tips on car maintenance and how 2 drive Automatic cars by rhythyson: 10:27am On Nov 25, 2010
thank you so so much first your Gbosa, Gbosa Gbosa Gbosa grin grin grin grin grin actually it is a Honda Accord 2007 i bought it from Atlanta and i just cleared it 2 days back it has 40,000 kilo so i was just contemplating changing only the engine oil for now but some busy bodi have started saying oga change this change that etc that was why i have to contact experts like you for advice , but for now i think i will just change the engine oil and see if the tires are ok if not i changed them too and after flogging the car for another 10k before i will do a comprehensive service as you advised, thank you so much may God increase you in knowledge some pple will do all these at a fee yea i'm very sure thanks again, Maximum Respect my dude. wink wink wink
Re: Tips on car maintenance and how 2 drive Automatic cars by owoblo345(m): 11:19am On Nov 25, 2010
Thank God we still have some selfless Nigerians out there. Kudos to u guy
Re: Tips on car maintenance and how 2 drive Automatic cars by baba4u93(m): 2:05pm On Nov 25, 2010
smiley
Re: Tips on car maintenance and how 2 drive Automatic cars by baba4u93(m): 8:36am On Nov 26, 2010
;d
Re: Tips on car maintenance and how 2 drive Automatic cars by GeorgeD1(m): 12:10pm On Nov 26, 2010
nice post.
Re: Tips on car maintenance and how 2 drive Automatic cars by baba4u93(m): 12:33pm On Nov 28, 2010
So take some time to make sure that your vehicle is ready to take you to paradise.  All it takes is a few minutes of preventative maintenance in your driveway and you can help eliminate hours of costly on-the-road problems and problem with LASTMA (LAGOS STATE ONLY).

The following items include things that most people can do for themselves very easily just by reading the vehicle's owner's manual.  If you don't have the time or lack the confidence to do these things yourself, take it to your auto Service Centre and have them give the car a good going over.  If your vehicle is due for other regular maintenance in the time you are away, get it done before you leave.  However you choose to prep your vehicle, do it at least a week or so before the trip, so that if the car needs any repairs it can be done before your vacation.

Vital Fluids:
Check all of your vehicle's fluid levels.  This includes engine oil, coolant, transmission fluid, brake fluid, power steering fluid, and windshield washer fluid.  Most new cars have transparent reservoir tanks and in many cases, you don't even have to get your hands dirty.  Refer to the owners' manual for the proper procedures for checking and adding fluids to your vehicle. In particular, when checking the brake fluid level.  If in doubt about fluid colour or odour, refer it to your nearest auto Service Centre.

You can also do a quick "leak test" in your driveway.  Let your engine run for about 15 minutes so it reaches full operating temperature.  Then park it over a large piece of cardboard a while and see if any fluids drip on it.

Belts and Hoses:
Check all the drive belts and hoses for any signs of wear and deterioration.  Belts that are frayed, glazed, cracked, cut or have chunks missing should be replaced immediately.  With the engine switched off and cold, look at each hose and see if there are leaks, bulges, cracks, or swelling. If they look good, give them a squeeze test.  Good hoses are firm but flexible.  Any hoses or belts that feel spongy, soft, or brittle should be replaced.
Battery:
One of the leading causes of roadside problems is the battery.  Check that the battery electrolyte is up to the proper level by removing the battery caps and looking inside.  The most common battery type today are maintenance free batteries. Maintenance free batteries have sealed caps and require no checking.  But some batteries say maintenance free but do have removable caps.  These should be checked in the usual manner. Finally, check the battery to see that there are no cracks or holes in the battery casing itself. If the battery is three or four years old, consider replacing it.

Brakes:
If you hear any grinding noises or feel unusual vibrations when you apply the brakes, or if the vehicle pulls to one side, take the vehicle in for a comprehensive checkup. It would be a good idea just to have your brakes looked at to be sure they won't need replacing 1,000 miles into your trip.

Cooling System:
Sustained highway speed driving and hot weather days combine to put a lot of stress on an engine's cooling system.  If your vehicles is using conventional coolant and hasn't been flushed for two years, now is an excellent time to do it.  If it has extended life coolant go with the manufacturers recommended change intervals.  If this interval occurs during the trip, do it now.  The cooling system should be refilled with the correct coolant. Don't refill with just straight water.  If the system needs to be flushed, visit your nearest Auto Service Centre.

Air-conditioning:
Make sure your car's heating and A/C is working properly.  Run it for a while in each of its operating modes and check that the airflow is coming from all appropriate vents.  If the A/C system takes an inordinately long time to cool the inside of the car, or if the air never gets cold enough, the system probably needs to be checked for leaks and recharged.

Tyres:
Maintain correct tyre pressures, not only does this make the vehicle ride correctly on the road but also improves braking and increases fuel economy.

And finally, not only can a pre-trip inspection help reduce chances of costly and possibly dangerous road trouble, it also provides an opportunity to have needed repairs completed with your Technician who knows your vehicle.

For more ininfo call 08032016668 or 08023352829
Re: Tips on car maintenance and how 2 drive Automatic cars by baba4u93(m): 7:04am On Nov 29, 2010
;d
Re: Tips on car maintenance and how 2 drive Automatic cars by baba4u93(m): 7:05am On Nov 29, 2010
;d
Re: Tips on car maintenance and how 2 drive Automatic cars by bigfather(m): 7:10am On Nov 29, 2010
Will really need to check on you someday o !

I'll holla you on my 200 number. Expect my call soon.
Re: Tips on car maintenance and how 2 drive Automatic cars by baba4u93(m): 8:13am On Nov 29, 2010
no shaking sir, anytime am all urs
Re: Tips on car maintenance and how 2 drive Automatic cars by baba4u93(m): 1:44pm On Dec 01, 2010
no am really no going out
Re: Tips on car maintenance and how 2 drive Automatic cars by ikeyman00(m): 6:32pm On Dec 01, 2010
@@@@@@@@@@

polish the body of your car after washing to protect and prolong the painting once in a while

change emm cam belt for every 100,000 check to be sure ooo miles covered;

clean the battery head from acid drops and make sure the battery is well locked

hahhhaa expert ni haa like they said
Re: Tips on car maintenance and how 2 drive Automatic cars by baba4u93(m): 10:57am On Dec 02, 2010
Re: Tips on car maintenance and how 2 drive Automatic cars by SeyiJay(m): 1:38pm On Dec 02, 2010
sonibota:

Lest you guys forget, some gear systems have 1 and 2. What are their functins?
@sonibota. To the best of my practical knowledge and experience, positions 1 & 2 are basically low gears that don't upshift automatically when selected. They are specifically used on unusual terrains / road conditions like on sandy turfs, or when climbing steep inclines where you need to maintain a steady engine/gear speed ratio to ensure effective grip and movement by high engine speeds. Moving on deep sandy roads like in Lekki area on 'D' at increasing speeds will get you stuck eventually. You are better off selecting position 1 which moves you along at high engine revs.
@baba. Nice tips. Really find them very useful. But I have a challenge presently with my ride - a '91 Civic GL auto tranny. It selects / upshifts very well during acceleration, but misbehaves likewise during decceleration - does not downshift properly, and during braking, the engine tends to be gripped by the auto clutch almost to a stall position, and i have to shift to N to prevent total engine stop. What exactly do i need to replace - cos i don't think it should be the entire tranny system? Anyone else here with expert advice can also help. Thx!
Re: Tips on car maintenance and how 2 drive Automatic cars by double08(m): 1:53pm On Dec 02, 2010
it is advisable to warm an auto ''direct tokunbo''car in the mornings?
Re: Tips on car maintenance and how 2 drive Automatic cars by baba4u93(m): 3:54pm On Dec 02, 2010
double8 i seem not understand ur question but u can xplain further pls am all ears waitin and willin 2 answer
Re: Tips on car maintenance and how 2 drive Automatic cars by baba4u93(m): 11:28am On Dec 03, 2010
smiley
Re: Tips on car maintenance and how 2 drive Automatic cars by baba4u93(m): 12:43pm On Dec 03, 2010
But I have a challenge presently with my ride - a '91 Civic GL auto tranny. It selects / upshifts very well during acceleration, but misbehaves likewise during decceleration - does not downshift properly, and during braking, the engine tends to be gripped by the auto clutch almost to a stall position, and i have to shift to N to prevent total engine stop. What exactly do i need to replace - cos i don't think it should be the entire tranny system? Anyone else here with expert advice can also help. Thx!

hi seyijay,
like i will ask what is d position of ur neddle on d RPM when d engine is idle if it is low (below 600rpm) and does not accellerate properly will and kindly call ur mechanic to check ur injector nozzle and do test on fuel pump pressure as well as wash d tank wc might av been full of dirts nw
Re: Tips on car maintenance and how 2 drive Automatic cars by baba4u93(m): 1:05pm On Dec 13, 2010
wink

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Abuja And Environs, Remotely Follow Your Car Repairs Online. / PHOTOS: Bus Somersaults On 3rdmainland Bridge This Afternoon / How To Verify If Your Car Number Plate Is Authentic Or Fake

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 56
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.