Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,850 members, 7,810,279 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 04:34 AM

Abuse Naira And Be Jailed - CBN Warns - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Abuse Naira And Be Jailed - CBN Warns (4818 Views)

BVN: No More Deadline Extension, CBN Warns / Nigeria’s Economy Could Slip Into Recession, CBN Warns / Xenophobia: MTN Nigeria Warns Of 6,000 Job Losses (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Abuse Naira And Be Jailed - CBN Warns by aloyemeka1: 11:57pm On Sep 09, 2011
[size=14pt]Naira abuse: Offenders risk 6 months imprisonment, says CBN[/size]
on SEPTEMBER 9, 2011 · in NEWS

By SAMUEL  OYADONGHA,, yenagoa
The Central Bank of Nigeria CBN Friday warned that abusers of the nation’s currency notes risk six months imprisonment or a fine of N50,000.
The apex bank at a one-day sensitization campaign on the abuse of the naira held in Yenagoa, the Bayelsa State capital, described as criminal the abuse of the country’s currency, stressing that offenders would henceforth be arrested and prosecuted.

Spraying of the naira, hawking and mutilation it are punishable under section 21, subsection 1-5 of the CBN Act of 2007.

Wrong way to handle the Naira

Acting Director Currency Operations CBN, Mr. Charles Olorunda, represented by Branch Controller, CBN Yenagoa, Mr. Prince Basil Udoh Utun, who stated this in Yenagoa, said the campaign is aimed at creating awareness among the populace with a view to according the naira the deserved respect.

“The national flag, the naira and the national anthem should be accorded respects as they promote the nation’s image globally,” he said, describing the abuse of the currency by market women, Okada riders, politicians and those hosting marriage ceremonies as criminal and called on them to respect the legal tender.

While urging Bayelsans to take the sensitization campaign seriously he said the CBN would soon commence prosecuting abusers of the naira note in the country.

According to him, “The offenders would be arrested and prosecuted by the law enforcement agencies across the country.”

The CBN, he added had in the past arrested some sellers of naira notes and raided selling points in Abuja, Kano and Ibadan.

http://www.vanguardngr.com/2011/09/naira-abuse-offenders-risk-6-months-imprisonment-says-cbn/
Re: Abuse Naira And Be Jailed - CBN Warns by ShipIt(m): 2:31am On Sep 10, 2011
Nonsense, I pledge to not Abuse the Naira when it's value rises. In the meantime, I will do with it as I please. Infact, I have a stash of thousand naira notes strewn around carelessly in a cupboard in my bathroom , leftovers from my last trip home. There is nowhere to convert them outside Nigeria except maybe Niger or Cotonou, neither a preferred holiday or living destination. So tell me why should I be jailed for abusing something that even our leaders don't value. Last I checked, government thieves stored all their loot in dollars and pounds. Hardly Naira
Re: Abuse Naira And Be Jailed - CBN Warns by cold(m): 2:36am On Sep 10, 2011
Who does the spraying?The same elites who are supposed to respect it.Abegi make we hear word
[b]
The Petition
During the recent celebration of his 70th Birthday party at Abeokuta, Ogun State, Chief Olusegun Obasanjo G.C.F.R. defaced several Naira notes by spraying them on some women dancing at the party before local and international guests and the media.

This act; spraying and defacing of the naira, is criminal under Section 21 of the Central Bank Act 2007 signed into law by the same former President Olusegun Obasanjo.

HEDA already officially wrote both the offices of the Federal Attorney General and Ogun State Attorney General to demand enforcement of the provisions in the above stated law, criminalising the spraying and defacing of Naira, through the arrest and prosecution of Chief Obasanjo without further delay.

This petition is meant to expose the hipocrisy (sic)of the Yar'adua's government where it fails to act in accordance with the provision of the Act. We shall submit same to his office and the office of Ogun State Governor, the state where the violation was perpetrated[/b]

http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/obasanjoviolatingnairanote/
Re: Abuse Naira And Be Jailed - CBN Warns by ektbear: 3:32am On Sep 10, 2011
lol
Re: Abuse Naira And Be Jailed - CBN Warns by Johndoe100(m): 3:41am On Sep 10, 2011
This is a law that will not be enforced against anybody who is anybody.
Re: Abuse Naira And Be Jailed - CBN Warns by 2mch(m): 3:45am On Sep 10, 2011
Who is going to arrest us? The policemen? Does CBN see how police abuse the Naira when collecting bribe? The level of abuse because of bribery is enough to devalue the naira. undecided
Re: Abuse Naira And Be Jailed - CBN Warns by bunmioguns(m): 4:54am On Sep 10, 2011
aloy/emeka:

[size=14pt]Naira abuse: Offenders risk 6 months imprisonment, says CBN[/size]
on SEPTEMBER 9, 2011 · in NEWS

By SAMUEL  OYADONGHA,, yenagoa
The Central Bank of Nigeria CBN Friday warned that abusers of the nation’s currency notes risk six months imprisonment or a fine of N50,000.
The apex bank at a one-day sensitization campaign on the abuse of the naira held in Yenagoa, the Bayelsa State capital, described as criminal the abuse of the country’s currency, stressing that offenders would henceforth be arrested and prosecuted.

Spraying of the naira, hawking and mutilation it are punishable under section 21, subsection 1-5 of the CBN Act of 2007.

Wrong way to handle the Naira

Acting Director Currency Operations CBN, Mr. Charles Olorunda, represented by Branch Controller, CBN Yenagoa, Mr. Prince Basil Udoh Utun, who stated this in Yenagoa, said the campaign is aimed at creating awareness among the populace with a view to according the naira the deserved respect.

“The national flag, the naira and the national anthem should be accorded respects as they promote the nation’s image globally,” he said, describing the abuse of the currency by market women, Okada riders, politicians and those hosting marriage ceremonies as criminal and called on them to respect the legal tender.

While urging Bayelsans to take the sensitization campaign seriously he said the CBN would soon commence prosecuting abusers of the naira note in the country.

According to him, “The offenders would be arrested and prosecuted by the law enforcement agencies across the country.”

The CBN, he added had in the past arrested some sellers of naira notes and raided selling points in Abuja, Kano and Ibadan.

http://www.vanguardngr.com/2011/09/naira-abuse-offenders-risk-6-months-imprisonment-says-cbn/

Mscheeeeew
Re: Abuse Naira And Be Jailed - CBN Warns by felifeli: 8:46am On Sep 10, 2011
Naira is a stupid useless worthless hopeless , konkobility , igilarity piece of paper.
Okay I done abuse Naira finish now. Arrest me . grin
Re: Abuse Naira And Be Jailed - CBN Warns by moremi2008(m): 9:23am On Sep 10, 2011
LWKMD! See foolishness on full-display! The naira is one of the most useless currencies in the world, you can't even exchange it at Bureau de Changes in civilized countries. Has anybody tried to spend a 5 naira bill in the market?!!! Even the market women will rain curses on you for giving them a 5 naira bill!
Re: Abuse Naira And Be Jailed - CBN Warns by igmacco(m): 9:39am On Sep 10, 2011
hahahahahahahaha dis country dey make me laff wella oooooooooooooooooo, if na police go arrest us, then i go bride am to commit him own offence, cuz na we we runs na
Re: Abuse Naira And Be Jailed - CBN Warns by Nobody: 9:48am On Sep 10, 2011
mtscheewwww! na today.i have been hearing that nursery rhymes for long now.every blessed day our naira is been abused and nothing is being done about it.even the nigeria police abuse it the most when they collect 20naira from motorists.pls someone should tell me something else
Re: Abuse Naira And Be Jailed - CBN Warns by AYODEJI4LOVE(m): 10:06am On Sep 10, 2011
, Yeah,, CBN latest joke, oh my God, i laugh in naira,
Re: Abuse Naira And Be Jailed - CBN Warns by Nobody: 10:07am On Sep 10, 2011
If the comments I read in Nairaland are the reasoning of an average Nigerian, then we are furcked. What sort of illiteracy and pessimism.
Re: Abuse Naira And Be Jailed - CBN Warns by Orblonde: 10:26am On Sep 10, 2011
Shaaruupp, what of those that steal bilolions? No be abise be dat?
Re: Abuse Naira And Be Jailed - CBN Warns by polokor60(m): 10:33am On Sep 10, 2011
berem:

mtscheewwww! na today.i have been hearing that nursery rhymes for long now.every blessed day our naira is been abused and nothing is being done about it.even the nigeria police abuse it the most when they collect 20naira from motorists.pls someone should tell me something else
Re: Abuse Naira And Be Jailed - CBN Warns by polokor60(m): 10:37am On Sep 10, 2011
berem:

point of correction,N50 cool
Re: Abuse Naira And Be Jailed - CBN Warns by dabrake(m): 11:00am On Sep 10, 2011
in handling the naira, the NIGERIAN POLICE remains my mentor. i rilly love the way they handle the naira
Re: Abuse Naira And Be Jailed - CBN Warns by toorich: 11:18am On Sep 10, 2011
CBN shud prove serious by starting with d worst offenders,d Nigerian Police!
Re: Abuse Naira And Be Jailed - CBN Warns by tissot84: 11:26am On Sep 10, 2011
grin grin grin ali baba and the forty thieves  grin grin grin grin grin grin grin. ali baba dey tell them make dem arrest the forty thieves first, instead of getting arrested first. CBN must lead by example first becos they are the CEO in abusing naira by devaluing it. aw much is one pounds to a naira or aw much is a dollar to a naira.
well sha the rules are meant for the poor becos they "the rich" do not spend in pieces but bundles
Re: Abuse Naira And Be Jailed - CBN Warns by hbrednic: 2:24pm On Sep 10, 2011
tongue tongue tongue tongue
Re: Abuse Naira And Be Jailed - CBN Warns by Nobody: 2:44pm On Sep 10, 2011
yeah, ryt,
Re: Abuse Naira And Be Jailed - CBN Warns by Ibomade1: 5:30pm On Sep 10, 2011
Yawn ,
Re: Abuse Naira And Be Jailed - CBN Warns by babaowo: 6:04pm On Sep 10, 2011
i think sanusi should first arrest all his tribes begging on d street.
Re: Abuse Naira And Be Jailed - CBN Warns by babaowo: 6:05pm On Sep 10, 2011
i think sanusi should first arrest all his tribes begging on d street.
Re: Abuse Naira And Be Jailed - CBN Warns by obowunmi(m): 9:25pm On Sep 10, 2011
Nigerian leaders have the wrong priorities. angry angry angry angry angry

Hey there, you abuse naira when you LOOT from the masses ----
Re: Abuse Naira And Be Jailed - CBN Warns by Galaxy7: 11:46pm On Sep 10, 2011
I am ready to respect Naira only if the NPF will take the lead
2ndly,who do i report to if i am been forced to abuse the Naira{ie}through collection of the 20 by the pf
or are they above the law?
Re: Abuse Naira And Be Jailed - CBN Warns by Abuloma80(f): 12:22am On Sep 11, 2011
Ok, noted.
Befitting spraying these days are done in hard currency (dollar in particular), No be so Nairalanders?
Re: Abuse Naira And Be Jailed - CBN Warns by Abayomin70(m): 7:47am On Sep 11, 2011
Abuloma80:

Ok, noted.
Befitting spraying these days are done in hard currency (dollar in particular), No be so Nairalanders?

FACT
Re: Abuse Naira And Be Jailed - CBN Warns by jidewin(m): 6:39pm On Sep 11, 2011
when i dey spray money for sister that is about to wed,i would send the photos to sanusi for him to see.SHEGE!He have nothing else better to offer Nigerians than what charles soludo had already prep and done.See where he has landed most of our indigenous banks.Abeg make d man go sleep JO,he no get word.
Re: Abuse Naira And Be Jailed - CBN Warns by Ucheosefoh(m): 4:11pm On Sep 12, 2011
Hmmm I saw sanusi spraying money at one of his friends daughter's wedding lol

(1) (Reply)

Help: Memorandum Of Association (moa) And Article Of Association (aoa). / Soft Drink Dealership: What To Look Out For? / CBN Unveils Framework To Empower 100 Companies

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 35
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.