Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,162,709 members, 7,851,408 topics. Date: Wednesday, 05 June 2024 at 06:47 PM

I Couldn't Spend Old Naira Note Yesterday - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / I Couldn't Spend Old Naira Note Yesterday (1478 Views)

Continue To Spend Old Notes, Tinubu Will Reverse Decision When He Wins: El-Rufai / Am Withdrawing The New And Old Naira Note (pic) / I Told Obasanjo That I Couldn't Build A Presidential Lodge For Him - Peter Obi (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

I Couldn't Spend Old Naira Note Yesterday by God1000(m): 7:15am On Feb 15, 2023
Nigerians are rejecting the old naira notes more than ever before following the statement from CBN yesterday that the old naira notes are no longer legal tender

The commercial car driver I approached yesterday on my way to work rejected the old 500 naira note, I later entered free government bus.

Market men and women are also rejecting old naira notes, you can't buy anything now with old naira notes

This will further exacerbate the already awful situation in the country

1 Like

Re: I Couldn't Spend Old Naira Note Yesterday by God1000(m): 7:17am On Feb 15, 2023
But supreme court suspended the earlier February 10 deadline by the CBN
Re: I Couldn't Spend Old Naira Note Yesterday by eastgates1: 7:19am On Feb 15, 2023
Sorry about yesterday but in the case brought before the supreme court CBN was not joined as a respondent. The case before the court is the states against the federal government.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: I Couldn't Spend Old Naira Note Yesterday by God1000(m): 7:21am On Feb 15, 2023
eastgates1:
Sorry about yesterday but in the case brought before the supreme court CBN was not joined as a respondent. The case before the court is the states against the federal government.
but supreme court is the highest court in Nigeria, disobeying a judgement from the apex court isn't good
Re: I Couldn't Spend Old Naira Note Yesterday by fergie001: 7:23am On Feb 15, 2023
I turned a beggar yesterday, moving from one place to another just to make sure I get home.

Even water, I could not take with old notes. God dey/

15 Likes 2 Shares

Re: I Couldn't Spend Old Naira Note Yesterday by God1000(m): 7:24am On Feb 15, 2023
fergie001:
I turned a beggar yesterday, moving from one place to another just to make sure I get home.

Lol, this is very bad man, how did you manage to get home?
Re: I Couldn't Spend Old Naira Note Yesterday by fergie001: 7:27am On Feb 15, 2023
God1000:
Lol, this is very bad man, how did you manage to get home?
A Good Samaritan bailed me out.

One kind woman gave me N500, I trekked the remaining.

7 Likes

Re: I Couldn't Spend Old Naira Note Yesterday by eastgates1: 7:27am On Feb 15, 2023
God1000:
but supreme court is the highest court in Nigeria, disobeying a judgement from the apex court isn't good
I know but would you react to a request that you did not know about? They should have joined CBN to that case, that way when the court says halt CBN would halt by the way the case is not supposed to go to the supreme court at first it should have started at the high court then to the appeal before supreme court the governors also have abused the judicial process.

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: I Couldn't Spend Old Naira Note Yesterday by God1000(m): 7:28am On Feb 15, 2023
fergie001:

A Good Samaritan bailed me out.

One kind woman gave me N500, I trekked the remaining.
cheesy

Sorry about your ordeal yesterday man.

This is really a terrible situation at the moment

1 Like

Re: I Couldn't Spend Old Naira Note Yesterday by inoki247: 7:28am On Feb 15, 2023
This breakfast go touch everybody una wey dey tell us to always du transfer na so MTN off Network for like 4hrs bkuz of hate some people love the policy and telling us to endure untop our money again....

2 Likes

Re: I Couldn't Spend Old Naira Note Yesterday by Okoroawusa: 7:29am On Feb 15, 2023
Please send me the old notes that you have let me help you and spend it
Re: I Couldn't Spend Old Naira Note Yesterday by God1000(m): 7:31am On Feb 15, 2023
Okoroawusa:
Please send me the old notes that you have let me help you and spend it
Lol, where are you going to spend it?

1 Like

Re: I Couldn't Spend Old Naira Note Yesterday by fergie001: 7:31am On Feb 15, 2023
God1000:
cheesy

Sorry about your ordeal yesterday man.

This is really a terrible situation at the moment
Naija for us nah.

1 Like

Re: I Couldn't Spend Old Naira Note Yesterday by Okoroawusa: 7:35am On Feb 15, 2023
God1000:
Lol, where are you going to spend it?
In Lagos
Re: I Couldn't Spend Old Naira Note Yesterday by God1000(m): 7:36am On Feb 15, 2023
fergie001:
Naija for us nah.
yeah, but our government should not push nigerians too hard, people will fight back
Re: I Couldn't Spend Old Naira Note Yesterday by Pierocash(m): 7:36am On Feb 15, 2023
eastgates1:
I know but would you react to a request that you did not know about? They should have joined CBN to that case, that way when the court says halt CBN would halt by the way the case is not supposed to go to the supreme court at first it should have started at the high court then to the appeal before supreme court the governors also have abused the judicial process.
The governor's that instituted the case thought they were smart. Should they include CBN,they know that the case will start from high court,and that will linger to supreme Court,and by then election would have come and gone,that is what they were trying to avoid so they started from supreme.

What they ought to have done is to file two separate cases one against CBN at high court,the other at supreme Court against the federal government.

They goofed

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: I Couldn't Spend Old Naira Note Yesterday by KingMack(m): 7:37am On Feb 15, 2023
inoki247:
This breakfast go touch everybody una wey dey tell us to always du transfer na so MTN off Network for like 4hrs bkuz of hate some people love the policy and telling us to endure untop our money again....

My brother no be only MTN all networks join for the wickedness undecided

2 Likes

Re: I Couldn't Spend Old Naira Note Yesterday by Ofunaofu: 7:37am On Feb 15, 2023
God1000:
But supreme court gave a judgement

You mean Elrufai's bullion vans procured supreme court injunction

1 Like 1 Share

Re: I Couldn't Spend Old Naira Note Yesterday by StrongAlphMale: 7:39am On Feb 15, 2023
Today's 15. What is the supreme court saying as regards the old and new Naira notes?
Re: I Couldn't Spend Old Naira Note Yesterday by God1000(m): 7:41am On Feb 15, 2023
StrongAlphMale:
Today's 15. What is the supreme court saying as regards the old and new Naira notes?
let's see what pans out today
Re: I Couldn't Spend Old Naira Note Yesterday by Penguin2: 7:48am On Feb 15, 2023
fergie001:

But I warned you guys on Monday.

Told you banks were deliberately closed because of that.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: I Couldn't Spend Old Naira Note Yesterday by Penguin2: 7:51am On Feb 15, 2023
eastgates1:

I think excluding the CBN from the suit was deliberate by the lawyers of the litigants.

If they had joined the CBN in the case, it would have been struck out at first sitting.

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: I Couldn't Spend Old Naira Note Yesterday by JASONjnr(m): 7:53am On Feb 15, 2023
God1000:
But supreme court gave a judgement
The supreme court ordered FG and not CBN...

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: I Couldn't Spend Old Naira Note Yesterday by eastgates1: 7:53am On Feb 15, 2023
Pierocash:
The governor's that instituted the case thought they were smart. Should they include CBN,they know that the case will start from high court,and that will linger to supreme Court,and by then election would have come and gone,that is what they were trying to avoid so they started from supreme.

What they ought to have done is to file two separate cases one against CBN at high court,the other at supreme Court against the federal government.

They goofed
true they knew what they were doing and wanted to make CBN governor the bad guy so they could hang him.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: I Couldn't Spend Old Naira Note Yesterday by eastgates1: 7:55am On Feb 15, 2023
Penguin2:

I think excluding the CBN from the suit was deliberate by the lawyers of the litigants.

If they had joined the CBN in the case, it would have been struck out at first sitting.
th
It would have been struck out or the judge would have recused himself from the case over lack of jurisdiction .

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: I Couldn't Spend Old Naira Note Yesterday by Penguin2: 8:02am On Feb 15, 2023
eastgates1:
th
It would have been struck out or the judge would have recused himself from the case over lack of jurisdiction .

Come on, what are you saying?

Do judges recuse themselves from cases their court has no jurisdiction over?

No. They simply decline jurisdiction and strike out the case.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: I Couldn't Spend Old Naira Note Yesterday by eastgates1: 8:04am On Feb 15, 2023
Penguin2:

Come on, what are you saying?

Does judges recuse themselves from cases their court has no jurisdiction over?

No. They simply decline jurisdiction and strike out the case.
decline jurisdiction I meant to say it is usually the accused that asks for judges to recuse themselves

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: I Couldn't Spend Old Naira Note Yesterday by Foolishbuhari: 8:50am On Feb 15, 2023
God1000:
The federal government doesn't have jurisdictional powers over monetary and fiscal policies, the CBN does. The CBN not being joined in that suit makes that judgement a nulity against the FG because you can't give what you don't have.

On the other hand, the courts have no jurisdiction over fiscal matters and the governors knew that hence excluding the CBN from the suit and trying to use the suit to arm twist the FG to rein in the CBN, so as not to be seen to be disobeying court orders. In other words, the governors and the supreme court used the Nigerian people to play politics. Shame on those justices.

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: I Couldn't Spend Old Naira Note Yesterday by Foolishbuhari: 8:53am On Feb 15, 2023
Penguin2:

Very true because of jurisdictional standings. The courts have no powers over fiscal responsibility of the CBN. It's like the Supreme Court ordering the CBN to turn ₦1 to $1. It's impossible πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚

1 Like 1 Share

Re: I Couldn't Spend Old Naira Note Yesterday by Ogbuefi2020: 8:57am On Feb 15, 2023
Penguin2:

And without joining CBN, Emefiele can go ahead. Either way, the governors are fighting a lost battle

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: I Couldn't Spend Old Naira Note Yesterday by Penguin2: 9:03am On Feb 15, 2023
Foolishbuhari:

Very true because of jurisdictional standings. The courts have no powers over fiscal responsibility of the CBN. It's like the Supreme Court ordering the CBN to turn ₦1 to $1. It's impossible πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚

Don’t mind Tinubu supporters with cow dung for brains.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: I Couldn't Spend Old Naira Note Yesterday by Fira09(m): 9:48am On Feb 15, 2023
fergie001:

πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Breaking News : Labour Party and 16 other parties Rejects All Election Results. / Lawyer Peter Obi Ordered & The One He Got / Breaking News- Chicago University Authenticates Tinubu's Certificate- CableNews

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 37
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.