Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,165,380 members, 7,861,048 topics. Date: Friday, 14 June 2024 at 10:12 PM

For Nigeria To Move Forward Tribalism Must Be Dealt With - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / For Nigeria To Move Forward Tribalism Must Be Dealt With (249 Views)

Anyone Who Calls Pres. Buhari Derogatory Names Will Be Dealt With - Tony Momoh / Why I Dealt With Onnoghen ― Buhari / Amaechi Must Be Dealt With.. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

For Nigeria To Move Forward Tribalism Must Be Dealt With by Eriokanmi: 8:43am On Feb 15, 2023
This season of election had taught me a lot, especially since the beginning of the electioneering campaigns. Most people have chosen to tow the path of sentiments...or call it tribalism in supporting their candidates. We've heard all the candidates speak during their campaigns and their words carried a lot of weight. Tribalism is the problem of Nigeria, not leadership per se. This has always influences our wrong choices when it comes to leadership. Unfortunately, all tribes are guilty of this menace.

When Atiku said openly that the north needs a northern president and not a Yoruba president or an igbo president, what does that mean? He said it openly in English so, no need to quote him out of context. Is he now expecting the same Yoruba and igbos to vote him after the unfortunate comment? Only an illiterate of the mind would do that. They say words are like eggs.

Kwakwanso also launched a word of attack on the LP. He said Obi, a Christian can't be voted in the North that is predominantly Muslim but now, he's talking as if he regretted not allowing the merger work. You may say his comment is religiously sentimental in nature but it still stems from tribalism.

In 2019, Oba Akiolu made a disparaging comment on igbos here in Lagos about the lagoon thing. A candidate of igbo extraction came to Lagos last sat to campaign and thugs began attacking his supporters, smashing their vehicles' windscreen. As a member of the emergency team, I interviewed one of the victims who was soaked in blood how it happened. He said they saw LP vest which his group gathered money to print on him and the boys started attacking him. Guess what my people? He's a Yorubaman. I wrote down his name before I attended to him. There's a yoruba proverb which says, Ti a ba soko loja, ara ile ęni lo ma ba. This literally means, if we throw a stone in the market, it will hit your relation. To the attackers, they had hit an igbo man supporting Obi, just imagine.

When we gathered at the Lekki toll gate in 2020 in a protest to condemn police brutality, they said they were igbos, despite seeing the names of all tribes on the list, including Muslims who were seen praying at lekki on a Friday. The last time I checked, na our people be the most victimised. Bola Raheem , RIP. She was a fresh and most recent victim Where does this lead us, my people?

Yesterday, Jagaban was live in Owerri. It was like a carnival. They even gave him a chieftaincy title. In all these, there was no incidence of violent or reprisal attack on any of the APC supporters. No smashing of windscreens. Obi came to Lagos and Oba Akiolu said he's not around when they paid homage to him at his Iga Iduganran Palace.

We need to end this, if truly we want Nigeria to move forward. I'm not talking of social media bully on candidates, which is a norm globally during electios. Obituary, druggie, atikulooter,etc . It happens even in America as advanced as they are. I was there when trump was elected. They mocked this man openly by wearing his head and dressing nude with his manikin. That's not what I mean by tribalism.

Until we change our mentality and embrace the spirit of oneness, Nigeria isn't going to progress. God bless Nigeria.

1 Like

Re: For Nigeria To Move Forward Tribalism Must Be Dealt With by Parachoko: 8:46am On Feb 15, 2023
If Iyabo Ojo supported Asiwaju

The same people praising her now would have been abusing her of been a tribalist for supporting Asiwaju.

Person wey wan vote Obi go dey wail bitterly say you wan Vote Tinubu 😂😂

Some of this Pandora Urchins no go use laugh kill me abeg

1 Like 1 Share

Re: For Nigeria To Move Forward Tribalism Must Be Dealt With by ORIAYO70(m): 8:51am On Feb 15, 2023
Eriokanmi:
This season of election had taught me a lot, especially since the beginning of the electioneering campaigns. Most people have chosen to tow the path of sentiments...or call it tribalism in supporting their candidates. We've heard all the candidates speak during their campaigns and their words carried a lot of weight. Tribalism is the problem of Nigeria, not leadership per se. This has always influences our wrong choices when it comes to leadership. Unfortunately, all tribes are guilty of this menace.

When Atiku said openly that the north needs a northern president and not a Yoruba president or an igbo president, what does that mean? He said it openly in English so, no need to quote him out of context. Is he now expecting the same Yoruba and igbos to vote him after the unfortunate comment? Only an illiterate of the mind would do that. They say words are like eggs.

Kwakwanso also launched a word of attack on the LP. He said Obi, a Christian can't be voted in the North that is predominantly Muslim but now, he's talking as if he regretted not allowing the merger work. You may say his comment is religiously sentimental in nature but it still stems from tribalism.

In 2019, Oba Akiolu made a disparaging comment on igbos here in Lagos about the lagoon thing. A candidate of igbo extraction came to Lagos last sat to campaign and thugs began attacking his supporters, smashing their vehicles' windscreen. As a member of the emergency team, I interviewed one of the victims who was soaked in blood how it happened. He said they saw LP vest which his group gathered money to print on him and the boys started attacking him. Guess what my people? He's a Yorubaman. I wrote down his name before I attended to him. There's a yoruba proverb which says, Ti a ba soko loja, ara ile ęni lo ma ba. This literally means, if we throw a stone in the market, it will hit your relation. To the attackers, they had hit an igbo man supporting Obi, just imagine.

When we gathered at the Lekki toll gate in 2020 in a protest to condemn police brutality, they said they were igbos, despite seeing the names of all tribes on the list, including Muslims who were seen praying at lekki on a Friday. The last time I checked, na our people be the most victim. Bola Raheem , RIP. She was a fresh and most recent victimised. Where does this lead us, my people?

Yesterday, Jagaban was live in Owerri. It was like a carnival. They even gave him a chieftaincy title. In all these, there was no incidence of violent or reprisal attack on any of the APC supporters. No smashing of windscreens. Obi came to Lagos and Oba Akiolu said he's not around when they paid homage to him at his Iga Iduganran Palace.

We need to end this, if truly we want Nigeria to move forward. I'm not talking of social media bully on candidates, which is a norm globally during electios. Obituary, druggie, atikulooter,etc . It happens even in America as advanced as they are. I was there when trump was elected. They mocked this man openly by wearing his head and dressing nude with his manikin. That's not what I mean by tribalism.

Until we change our mentality and embrace the spirit of oneness, Nigeria isn't going to progress. God bless Nigeria.

This Ur narrative painting Yoruba n Hausa bad is baseless n senseless..

Is even more tribalised than the physical one, the kind of tantrums, jab, words the Igbo throws on other tribe is extremely bad than physical....

2 Likes

Re: For Nigeria To Move Forward Tribalism Must Be Dealt With by Xchii: 9:07am On Feb 15, 2023
ORIAYO70:

Is even more tribalised than the physical one, the kind of tantrums, jab, words the Igbo throws on other tribe is extremely bad than physical....
the clown is not yoruba but Edo

1 Like

Re: For Nigeria To Move Forward Tribalism Must Be Dealt With by XLence: 9:10am On Feb 15, 2023
ORIAYO70:

Oga forget story. How do you identify ibos on a thread? You see the danger in a single narrative? Tribalism is eroding our sensibility and humanity slowly. Many of you think you can reset your minds to default settings after the election, but it will shock you that the conscious mind is tricky. Give the current trend another 4 years and watch one of two things happen. It's either our 'enemies' exploit us fatally, or we Nigerians rise against one another. Mark this, it won't be long. And your 'precious One Nigeria' falls like a pack of cards.

1 Like

Re: For Nigeria To Move Forward Tribalism Must Be Dealt With by ORIAYO70(m): 9:11am On Feb 15, 2023
Xchii:
the clown is not yoruba but Edo

Then is more senseless...

Some Edo people feeling related to Igbo than Yoruba has lost their origin.
Re: For Nigeria To Move Forward Tribalism Must Be Dealt With by Xchii: 9:15am On Feb 15, 2023
ORIAYO70:

Then is more senseless...

Some Edo people feeling related to Igbo than Yoruba has lost their origin.
Lol so you don't know, majority of those Edo miscreants hate Yorubas and always support ibos.
Re: For Nigeria To Move Forward Tribalism Must Be Dealt With by duro4chang(m): 9:19am On Feb 15, 2023
Parachoko:

The same people praising her now would have been abusing her of been a tribalist for supporting Asiwaju.

I am so surprised at your narrative. You are one sided which is very bad. You are on this forum when some children of hate will call you names because you support Tinubu. You refused to talk about that.
Re: For Nigeria To Move Forward Tribalism Must Be Dealt With by tctrills: 9:19am On Feb 15, 2023
Parachoko:

On Nairaland, there are daily threads telling Yorubas not to vote for an Igbo man. You will never find one thread preaching that Igbo's shouldn't vote for a Yoruba man.
Re: For Nigeria To Move Forward Tribalism Must Be Dealt With by Eriokanmi: 9:24am On Feb 15, 2023
XLence:

Oga forget story. How do you identify ibos on a thread? You see the danger in a single narrative? Tribalism is eroding our sensibility and humanity slowly. Many of you think you can reset your minds to default settings after the election, but it will shock you that the conscious mind is tricky. Give the current trend another 4 years and watch one of two things happen. It's either our 'enemies' exploit us fatally, or we Nigerians rise against one another. Mark this, it won't be long. And your 'precious One Nigeria' falls like a pack of cards.
They've always been calling me Edo, Ibo,etc despite the obvious grin because they hate the truth. I don't respond to their posts anymore. All i crave is a progressive Nigeria. You see, truth is bitter they say. Every truth said must be met with harsh words and bitterness.

Only a tribalist would say my post makes no sense.

(1) (Reply)

By This Time Next Saturday, Peter Obi Would Have Gotten Over Ten Million Votes.. / APC Presidential Candidate Tinubu Newest Sountrack Released / Vote Peter Obi, Women Are Tired Of Crying And Praying - Aisha Yesufu

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 32
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.