Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,047 members, 7,828,690 topics. Date: Wednesday, 15 May 2024 at 12:58 PM

Novel: What He Says - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Novel: What He Says (462 Views)

No Where To Turn | (A Thriller Novel)- What if Water is the New Money? / The Outing - He Says Let's Go Out, She Brought Her Friends Along / Jewel From The Ghetto: New Novel Release!!! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Novel: What He Says by gohf: 3:09pm On Feb 20, 2023
Victor Uzodinma:
What He Says

Chapter 1: She meets Him

"Hi excuse me" was the dashing voice that caught her attention from behind her at the bar she was sitting, trying to drawn down her tiresome day with a glass of wine. She didn't know if it was the wine or the soft music but the moment she took a glance at him there was suddenly a rush of pleasant... Wait a minute she thought to herself, have I been drinking too much, as she took another look at her glass and apparently seemed to have forgotten was made her turn. Simple put her mind was in a mess.

"Sorry" the voice came once again, "didn't mean to interrupt... " he said this while walking to an empty seat beside her at the bar, "hope you are not too drunk to answer a simple question I have... "

She cut in, "I am not drunk, I am just a bit... You know... Ah forget it. What did you want to ask"

He chuckled a bit as he saw her trying to adjust herself to face him, but the sloppy but stern look in her eyes made him freeze a little and said, "Is it true girls think boys dont like flowers"

She coughed and said, "what" a bit surprised about what he came up to ask her, after a bit of silence that seemed like she was guaging if he was seriously interrupting her drink to ask that, she said, "it depends". Her mind still trying to wrap around why he was asking such a question and drifting between if she was even interested... "Just tell me what you think" he said

She looked at him, he was real, there was a real handsome guy asking her about flowers, "liking flowers is a girls thing, so I guess it's true" immediately she said that a thought of him being gay crossed her mind and damped her building interested, "well I guess some gay guys may like flowers as..

He laughed slowly and said, "what!" "You don't think guys like flowers, but I'm pretty you are prettiest flower in this place and I just find myself liking you"

She gulped as she stared at him with wide eyes wondering where that came from, and hr added while laughing, "...and I am not gay"

He found it funny but she found it, what's the word, she couldn't place the right words to what she was feeling at this moment but call it cliche she was falling for him, from first sight, to his pick up lines to possibly the alcohol in her blood stream. Whatever it was, love, infatuation, arousal, lust she was sure of what she was going to do next and he felt he had her exactly where he wanted her.

Her day, well also the drinks, have brought her to this moment, a moment she would be the most daring she has ever been as she moves closer to him and kisses him. Then whispers into his ear, "how does this flower taste"

She was being her best seductively, not the best version of herself, but who is the judging, the young man was laughing and said, "I think you have had too much to drink, time to go home, so... "

"Oh what a bad boy, just two lines and you already want to take me home with you", she said smiling from ear to ear, brushing herself into him... "Okay fine take me home" teasing him, "am all yours"

He takes her by the hand and says somethings she doesn't hear properly but she responds, 'I said I am not drunk, "am I not a pretty flower to anymore, pretty boy" she leaned so close to him outside the bar as he tried to stable her, she gasps and said "oh my, wow, what is that" as she turns to look at him lustfully, "and here you are pretending to be... When you are all exicted, please where's your car let's go"

Ewa wo toluwa sefumi... The phone kept ringing on a shelf beside the bed, a Yoruba christian song played for many times while she slept

"Ooo my head, who's calling me, my phone" she lazily wakes up and stretches her hand to reach where the phone, picks it and before she could speak she hears a female nag her through the phone, "why ain't you picking your calls since morning. We have an important meeting by 9:30 and I thought you would be here already. I called because I noticed you didn't even check your whatsapp messages since last night, ah... "

Mtcheww she hissed softly to herself and her hand slowly dropped the phone even while the caller kept speaking saying someone would get pissed, expectations and all that but she wasn't even in the right frame of mind for a call least of all this particular call. "Ah and I was dreaming of being in a gospel concept," with all I went through yesterday"... At this moment some illustration images began to flash across her mind
"What's that hard thing"
"You naughty boy"
"We are here"

... "Oh my God" she gasped, "wait where am I" she lifted the duvet she was so comfortably in, scanning what looked like a modest hotel room, she sighted her phone which had been ringing been plugged but the one thing she saw that shooked and shocked her was a dress resembling hers folded neatly on a chair between the bed and the door.

At this point she seem not willing to believe they were hers, "ah no no no no, lifting up the duvet to see underneath it, "NO, no nah, Kat" though not a shout, that was the most audible she had been since she wake up.

While putting on her gown she wore a more remorseful look opposite of the excited look she had last night and kept muttering things to herself, "they said be daring Kate but not that daring" "ah God a hotel, a stranger, my virginity.. What was I thinking"

That if she was even thinking as she unplugged her phone picked up her bag and suddenly froze on the door as a thought seemed to have crossed her mind that made her tremble a bit before she opened the door.

She had left the house which was surprisingly empty and open, and endured an early walk to the estate's gate where she stood waiting for a vehicle wondering where exactly she was. She looked at the address written on a store close to the estate and realized where she was and she was two buses away from her place. She felt more confused than she was last night when she went to the bar, "thank God he is not a ritualist, but who leaves his house empty and open with a stranger in it" "wait does he think I am a prostitute waiting for money..." Her thoughts kept pouring in while she was in the bus and got down, "I feel less than a prostitute,  she whispered to herself as she managed to get home.

Tears came down her eyes as she sat on her bed in her one room apartment, she wasn't even sure why she was crying, she felt at lose, she felt she had lost. She got up and took off her gown, her hands kept shaking as she took off her last piece of garment that felt wet to her touch. She closed her eyes as she took them off and ran into the bathroom. "They will probably laugh if they saw me now. What courage, what bravery... " her voice trembled as she turned the knob of the shower, "I.. I... don't even know if he used protection"..."My God I am so stupid" "why, why, why".. She kept repeating to herself weeping while the showering kept pouring

"God forgive me" as she stepped out of a shower filled of tears and struggle to both wash her body and her mind clean. Different thoughts drifted through her mind then a sudden flashed through her eyes, "forgive what... God, hmph, God, with all I went through, where were you when I went to bar..  Where" she broke down again weeping... "If you didn't hear me then you probably won't hear me now. Where...?

Her phone ring cut her off, she picked it in anger and said, "what is it" the same female voice that nagged her in the morning froze and after a moment said, "sorry to disturb you but Pastor would like to see you after rehearsal  seeing as you didn't make it for excos meeting... " before the caller could finished she cut the call and hissed. Shortly after she got a text

"Sorry how I sounded in the morning wasn't happy you ignored my calls. Hope everything is okay, its not like you, you know we care about you. I will see you tomorrow"

"Hmph, our ever zealous youth leader, hmph not like you would understand. Wonder what the meeting was about... " as she dropped her phone, "ah need to eat something before that rehearsal and its already to 12, 2 more hours to that rehearsal. Do I even have to go"

"Yes you have to" it felt like talking to herself, "ya apart from being the one that scored the songs, it may help take my mind off these things. Before they get worried something happened and send someone here tomorrow, I have to go"

She made up her, to pick her self up and put it behind her or at least pretend it was all a dream and get on with her day. It didn't stop the fear she felt but to her the worse kind of fear was it been true to others especially those who still treated her with a bit of respect.

"Kate, Kate" she heard her name as she barely passed the church's gate, in her heart she prayed silently that it wasn't one of those spiritual mummy's calling her about anything they have seen because quite frankly she has a lot to hide well not from a God that seems far from her and claims to see it all but from a church that would probably judge her and.., "Mema is that you" as she saw a female sanctuary keeper walk, more like run, quickly towards her.

Mema, from her names Mercy Mary, a weird but fitting name her mother gave her, fits her because she is weird as well. Kate smiles as Mema approach, "of all people I don't want to see yet so glad to see" she murmured to herself.

Being scared of those spiritual mummies is one thing but Mema is on a whole other level that makes her weird and also strange that not many if there's many apart from Kate that has experienced her "gift". The difference is those 'mummies' could claim God was speaking whereas it was their own thoughts or bias but Mema if she did speak and that time or times she did was frightenly accurate. If one person must not find it, it should be Mema right?

"Where have you been, I felt a great disturbance for you... "

Crap she knows, thought Kate as her face froze like a thief in the light.. "Anyway God said I should tell you everything would be okay, sorry I didn't have time to pray for you o, even now, we are still cleaning especially new pastor's office and... " "hey Kate are you... "

"Thank you Mema" Kate softly said, if it's her she always knows what to say, I wonder why she is still in sanctuary unit. "Are you okay, later now you will say I am weird, I have to go" as Mema walks to leave, "yes Pastor Anthony as been looking for you" she squints her eyes, "have you done something again"

Don't know why but Kate bursts into laughter, "what do you mean by that" she felt joy flow into her that she hadnt had since...

"Kate Kate, you finally came and on time for rehearsal" by this time Mema had left but choir coordinator had come out from the church. He was tall and handsome, that very thought brought back the sting of this morning and it was like the joy she just felt evaporated and she answered coldly,  "yea I am" and walked passed him into the church.

Not that Greg, who was standing outside confused, had done or said anything wrong to Kate, but she was going through a lot she wanted to forget.

Greg was the choir coordinator and apart from how good is looks and 'suspicious' he might act he's one of the best christians in the church, he was one of those you could be forgiven for thinking he wasn't. At the closing of the choir rehearsal Greg walked up to Kate who had lend the rehearsal, "Pastor Anthony said you should come meet him, you have never missed a youth meeting before not without informing like you do for choir ministrations and meeting. You know you can talk to me"

Kate looked at him and just walked out, "what's wrong with me, why I am even angry. I can't be angry at Greg right. None of this is his fault. I shouldn't even show him how I feel... Ah this is awful" she spoke to herself as she walked to Pastor Anthony's office. Pausing in front of the door and adjusting herself and attitude she knocked, "its Kate sir you said you wanted to see me"

"Come in"...  The door opened to a standard office, with shelf with books, table with his laptop and picture of his family. Pastor Anthony was a matured man with a keen eye for pictures as he handles media and word publicity of the church, some say he is an evangelist as well.
"If I didn't call you would you have come" he spoke sternly, did I forget to add Pastor Anthony is also a disciplinary

"Sir, I was.. " her words hang in her throat as she wasn't even prepared with what to say, lie to give nor ready to say the truth

"I believe you were aware we had a meeting this morning. Your president covered for you, a youth secretary who was supposed to be in the meeting and take notes"

"Sir I promise it will not happen again"
"Don't promise.. " he cut her off, "I believe you won't, you never have but try and speak Mrs Elliot on Sunday, for now we have to go and see the new youth pastor"

That's right Mema mentioned something about a new pastor, is he our new youth pastor, I should be on my best behavior so I can convince Pastor not to send me to Mrs Elliot. Now who is Mrs Elliot, you have heard of G.Os wives who were strict and commanded respect, she was like them but more, in that she didn't command respect she was respected for one unusual reason, her humility. Reason she's called Mrs Elliot, her only pride is Jesus and her husband, you can also add the workers as well. If Mema was weird, Mrs Elliot could look into your soul, she will listen to you till you told her all your secrets strangely you will never hear it in a message or preaching, just know she is strict enough to give you 60days fasting or marathon prayers.

We had reach the door of the new youth pastor's office when we heard him praying
"He is a very spiritual young man, you really missed in the morning, anyway you do get to meet him as you will.. "

Suddenly and strangely the door opened like he was expecting them, but the face Kate saw made her freeze in her steps

"Miss Kate this is Pastor Tunde David, Pastor this is the youth secretary Adaobi Katherine, we call her Kate because she grew up with the church... "

Pastor Anthony kept talking while Kate still frozen at the door didn't realize they were going inside.

"Why is he here" her mind raced inside, wide eyed as she stared holes into the new youth pastor.
Re: Novel: What He Says by gohf: 7:04pm On Feb 22, 2023
Victor Uzodinma:
Chapter 2 Hunger Dey

"Bolaji bring money make we go buy food joor"  a young lad slaps the leg of his friend and roommate sleeping on the couch in the parlor who responds, "Ogbeni free me, no be me bring you come Lagos.. No disturb my sleep". When the sleeping friend, Bolaji, realizes that the place has become quiet, he opens his eyes slowly looking at the door then hisses, "Mtcheww, this Seyi stupid sha, very stupid boy, shey I tell you make you follow me yesterday night, you talk say you no wan follow do. Na hunger go kill you las las. Come here dey disturb my sleep" he readjusts but still feels uncomfortable so gets up to go inside, "you go still go back Osun state".

"Ah mama, good morning ma, I... " Seyi shutters as he faces the matured woman dishing food for her girl to carry. "Eh, Seyi I no hear wetin you dey talk, speak out na" as she quickly glances at him before dishing another plate.
Seyi still fidgets trying to put his words together again, but the noisy background and music blasting infuriates the woman who shouts, "Bose! Bose!! go and tell those mad men at our back that if they don't turn that useless noise down eh, and I will bring boys and scatter that place, what rubbish nonsense" and rains a lot of abuses in Yoruba. Her sudden anger frightens Seyi who swallows back the words he wanted to say.

"Em, Seyi is free food you want again abi" she stares at him after Bose leaves, "look I don't want you to wash any plate for me today, as you can see Bose is around to do that and.. Come as a young man you better find something doing than hanging around that useless good for nothing Bolaji." She pauses then continues before Seyi says anything, "Or you want to join him and steal people's money" she gives him the look.

"No ma, no ma, never.. I'm still trying to.. "
"Leave that thing, this is the third time this month you have come here, Bose said you have been in Lagos for 6 months now. If you wanted to do something can't you find a trade or a shop to attach yourself to. This boy I feel you need help o"

"Yes ma.. "
"Shut up, you need deliverance" Seyi felts so humiliated and angry inside that he had to beg for what to eat again, and this was the one place he knew he could come to and eat as this was the place he first arrived when he came from Osun and had to wait for Bolaji to pick him up. Mama Bose's shop was close to a major bus park in an affluent area in Lagos. Seyi had thought that coming to such a rich neighborhood he wouldn't have to at least go hungry nor face similar challenges or people he had faced at his home town. He came for the better life but it seems his life was better before. "No" he shook his head muttering to himself

"No, what?" Mama Bose looked at him as he still stood there, "you don't need deliverance or you don't need a job"

"I need a Job.. " Seyi said, "and food and not deliverance" he muttered lowly while looking away

"Eh, what did you say" she looked at him with a bit of disdain and said, "come to church let them deliver you"

"Church!" Seyi, "see mama I'm hungry, I go pay you back soon, eh I swear..

"Stop that, swear ko, swear ni, I cannot trust you nor anyone that is around that god forsaken Bolaji. Better leave that boy before they arrest you" she suddenly remembered something and brings out a flier from her purse, "take this is the church address, if you really want a job and better this your life go and.. "

Before she could finish, something broke and Bose ran to from the inside door shaking and sweating, "ah mummy" breathing

"Talk, why are you breathing and sweating, is it not this place I sent you and the mu.. " she was cut off again as the music volume increase loudly. "Bose is that... "Mama Bose got angry, "stay here I am coming" she shouted at Bose as she left the shop.

Bose was breathing heavily and the few people eating in the shop were puzzled becaus the noise was loud and disturbing especially since it was a usually quiet area except at times at night.

"I'm sorry Seyi, my mum will be back to attend to you" Bose tried explaining but Seyi said, "no prob.. "

when he realized an opportunity, "is just that mama was about to give me food before this foolish people provoked her"

Seyi looked at Bose honestly, Bose was a girl in SS3 who liked Bolaji as Seyi had seen her visit his area once or twice and ask after him. He had asked Bolaji about this secondary school girl that usually asked after him, but Bolaji pushed it aside like an insignificant matter only saying, "the girl like am but him no get time". But it feels like it was more than what Bolaji said.

"You fit package the food so e go dey enough for me and Bolaji to chop" Seyi said with a smile as he looked at Bose with full expectations hoping she agrees before her mother returns.

Bose was obviously afraid of her mother, "I don't know o, did my mum say I should give you"

Seyi then said in his mind, you are afraid of your mum to give me food but not to pursue man. Ah God if this girl give me this food eh, I go church tomorrow. I never chop since yesterday morning I no get strength to talk convince am. While Seyi was about to reply her, "Just pu.. " his phone rang. He pull it out from his pocket and saw it was his mother calling "ah" he exclaimed

"Is everything okay" Bose asked and she saw his reaction. Seyi ignored her and picked the call.

"Seyi, Seyi, na your mama you dey do like this"
Seyi rolls his eyes sighing then responds "mama good morning wetin I do you na, na why I no like dey pick your call"
"You still dey tell your mama, way breastfeed you say you no like dey pick her call, who do you this thing. Six months I never see you. You talk say you dey go Lagos go make am, na 3 weeks ago we talk last when.. "
"Mama na 15 or 16 days ending month na"
"Hey" there was silence on the phone, "e dey okay, you don reason wetin I tell you"
"See mama I no fit come back" Seyi pauses, "e get big record deal way I go soon get na, e sure me say your prophet no see am"
"Hey, deal, big record deal, Seyi Seyi, prophet talk say make u come back answer...
"Hello hello"..... "Mama u dey hear me, hello. Be like network for that town dey misbehave" Seyi cuts the call and finds Bose staring at him and says, "what" then notices she has packed the food for him and put it inside nylon. This suddenly gladdens him and he takes the food, thanks Bose and leaves quickly before her mother comes.

"God no vex say I lie o, but I dey hung like mad" Seyi looks up to the sky and says, while walking back home as he recounts certain things then stops, "I no fit go house with this food o" then a thought comes into him, "how different are you from your friend who lies" another thought "who won't even give me food to eat" "you told him you wanted no part of his crooked business" "should I join him, I have suffered" Seyi then walks towards a close store with a bench outside to eat the rice Bose parked. "I can't join him, I may be a liar but no say I go dope people of their money.. Na just food" faint sounds of loud music and shouting could be heard, "this people noise still reach here I no even notice am when I dey hungry self, no be party dem host last night spread flier everywhere abi the thing never end.. " he looks at the food he is eating and another thought "its not just food you lied about".

Seyi then recollect he told his mother about a big deal because he didn't want to go back home nor was he interested in what her prophet had to say, after all if he could see she shook his head as he didnt wish to recollect a bad memory but then he remembers the flier he collected from Mama Bose and brings it out, "shey I fit get job with this thing na, e go better if all these churches go share money after all these fliers na money.. " Seyi looking at the flier read the name of the church out, New Calvary Worship Center" he laughed a bit, having being brought up in church he new the meaning of Calvary and said, "wetin do the old one abi d blood don finish on top am... Wait maybe na why Bolaji dey always talk blood of God" he laughed so much he almost choked because of the peppery stew. "The church no too far from here self" then he realizes something else...

"Them fit pay me to drum o, or another instrument, maybe not keyboard, trumpet, na big church dem fit get trumpet e don tey o but... " he kept thinking as he made up his mind. He suddenly laughs again as he recalls what transpired at Mama Bose's shop, "that woman sha, see the way she dey insult like tomorrow no dey, I sure say she fit dey fit for that place now and she dey preach give me. Which kind christian she be self, me and am who come get demons pa... "Seyi suddenly becomes quiet

"Well after all, God give me this food to chow, I fit go there today see if space dey, today supposed be choir practice as a Saturday that it is if na 100k per month I go manage am" Seyi was smiling to himself as he got up to head home and prepare, wondering if he should dress well or shabbly to prompt the church's sympathy.
Re: Novel: What He Says by gohf: 12:57pm On Feb 27, 2023
Victor Uzodinma:
Chapter 3 What Am I Seeing

I know there are those of you here today that have come to church service this morning for different reasons and purposes... Some reasons good and others, hmm" the pastor chuckles then continues, "Some reasons we don't even know because they are hidden from us, yet we as a church are expected to minister to those needs and to various people. Hidden not just because God doesn't reveal them but because for some reason or the other, we don't trust ourselves enough or the church we are attending to open up. I know at times opening can be hard as well as disappointing when our desired result isn't meet but we never claimed to be the answer to all things. God is, Jesus is, the answer and we are here to led you to him...

Sometimes I wonder what's the point in being a light if everyone around you chooses to walk in darkness. But I still choose to shine not for those who are afraid of the light nor those who hide from it, but for those who at some point or the other choose who walk towards the light and walk by it. We can see nothing if there is no light and it's a pity our dear country suffers both physical and spiritual light problems, meaning many people walk in the dark. For spiritual, I am here to encourage those called to be lights to stand out and draw more souls to Christ. Don't hide nor shy away from the responsibility to shine and a light that draws many to Christ...

We may not even see that light, because we may not even be looking for it. The bible says in Matthew 6:33, "Seek he first the kingdom of God and his righteousness, before any other thing is added to you. Before any other thing that connotes our worries in life is added to us.

Many because we can't handle those things as children of God if we have not his righteousness in us. That financial blessing you seek, that marriage, have you asked yourself if you have found his righteousness for those things to be added to your life...

You might say pastor but my friend is doing well, she went some where and now has a baby, they didn't go through this seeking but they are married. We get distracted by the.." The pastor makes an emphasis on his next word, "the hap-pi-ness we see and forget what God adds to those who believe him has no sorrow with it, it's somewhere in Proverbs 10.

Seek he first the kingdom of God, how do you seek something you are not even looking for. And how do you look for it, if you cannot even see. Jesus said in John 3 to nicodemus, expect a person is born again they cannot see the kingdom of God.

Why, because they are still in darkness. Many are blind by their desires for the things of this world. Jesus said seek and you shall find, but he also tells us what to seek. Your coming here today, should be to seek the kingdom of God but... " Pastor pauses as he recollects his thoughts, "2 Corinthians 4:4 Satan, the god of this evil world, has blinded the minds of those who don't believe, so they are unable to see the glorious light of the Good News that is shining upon them. They don't understand the message we preach about the glory of Christ, who is the exact likeness of God.

The reason you don't seek the kingdom of God, the reason you don't find it nor see it, is because of unbelief and because of the devil.

If you want all these things you worry about, clothes, companionship, food" he pauses again and looks at the congregation, "blessed are the hungry for they shall be filled...

If you want all these you have to find Jesus the righteousness of God, and to find that you have to first seek the kingdom and you can't see God's kingdom if you are not born again

And the only way to be born again, is to believe in God, repent and answer his call and come out of darkness...

As we close as many of you as desire to seek the Kingdom of God first, that desire to see it and are willing to come out from the darkness you are in please come forward and believe in your heart, that God so loved you and he sent his only begotten son to you, the one who's our light, our righteousness...

Come to him, come
As people begin to walk towards the altar

The Choir stands up to sing, "We've come to draw, draw, draw... Draw from you again

While across the altar a group of minister stand and begin to pray, as the usher arrange themselves before the altar clapping their hands with smiles on their faces.

I can't go up there, that message was it because of the meeting yesterday,- Seyi who was among the congregation having felt the urge to go stood with the remaining congregants at their seats watching some others head to the altar, some praying, some weeping, "hmm this people sha, why is that one weeping, I am sure this whole thing is stage, after this is probably the offering, special giving and tithe collection. Ah but I messed up yesterday o, the man come dey look me like say I dey hungry. Na why we no dey tell church anything them go sha turn am to message. Wetin I come dey do for here self, why I even come today" Seyi thought and spoke silently to himself like he was praying like the rest

I can't go up there, I may regret what I did, but God lead me into it, was I not righteous enough yet nothing was added to me instead a lot has been taken away and yet, - Katherine who standing with the choir behind singing looked across the altar and saw the new youth pastor, "hmm, how amusing see him praying like he has done no evil yet here I am feeling too guilty to even take a back up mic. Well I shouldn't expect him to go up, if I a common choir leader can't summon courage to go. I don't think altar call is ever for workers

"After all how many times can I go up to surrender their life to Jesus" it was like both Seyi and Katherine had the same thought and the Pastor felt the urge to say, "I feel a leading in my spirit to say this, don't think because you have been around the light that you know the light nor seen the kingdom of God. It doesn't matter who you are, if you grew in church, worker in church or you tagged along with your best friends who are christians, you know in your heart if you have seen the kingdom of God or not..." He pauses again then closes his eyes to pray, "as many of you that have come forth I pray the believe that has come into your heart will grow into faith that expresses it self in love. I pray that God's kingdom be revealed to you and that whatever other reason that brought you here that soon you will come back to this altar with a testimony of God's goodness..."

At this point a resounding amen was ultered. As he kept praying for them, "the boldness you have to step up today may it not cease" Amen
"May you be bold to shine" Amen
"And as for those contemplating, or still in the dark refusing to come out, I pray may God's mercy find you" Amen "and enable you to serve God"

After much prayers and general prayers and announcements, the service closed, people began to leave there seats and move to various places but Seyi seemed rooted to his seat, sweating as if there was a great pressure upon him. When he finally made his way to the church doors to leave he saw the offering box and recalled his previous assessment of a church and muttered, "the only time they mentioned money today was at the announcement when they said those who brought anything, or offering should drop it at the back with an usher or in the offering box"

Seyi thought all big churches were after money, apart from the greedy prophets that had swindled his mother in past, worse than native doctors. Seyi still didn't have a good opinion about NCWC, as he still felt he had to leave but he heard what sounded as an announcement, "Don't leave I brought you here for a reason".

While Seyi turned back to look at the pulpit he saw no one holding the mic, among the people on the altar, he felt strange frighten and tensed, "I knew I shouldn't have come here" as Seyi turned his head he could have sworn he saw an elderly man at the altar point at him.

Please don't stand on the road, go and have your seat inside" Seyi was shocked at the female Usher's rebuke as he watched her pick up some forms that had spilled on the floor

All these christians can be angry annoying bunch isn't it just a bump, before Seyi could finish he thought as he watched her picked them up, she suddenly said as he stared at her, "ah I am so sorry, I shouldn't have flared up at you. Don't even know why I said that.. "

Seyi cuts in as his heart was touched at the moment, "I am the one that should apologize, I'm sorry" as he bent down to help her pick the forms and noticed they were newcomers form

"Thank you" as she collected the ones he picked

Is she pretending to be nice suddenly, Seyi thought but rebuked the thought as it didn't matter, "you guys seem to have quiet a number of new members today" Seyi said with a smile

"Ya but some are visitors and its just a few that will... Wait a minutes, you're new" the usher said

Seyi laughed but stopped as he felt it was inappropriate, "Yes but... "

Before he could say anything, "I knew it, not seen you before. I am sure you didn't even fill this"

"I can still fill it right" Seyi smiled, as this young female usher had quiet the mouth on her and sharpness. "Here you go"
Seyi collected the form and filled it while he watched him, he felt a little nervous having to answer some of the questions, like his age, education especially what work he did.

"You don't have to fill everything, just be honest and make sure you write your prayer request" she said with a smile

After Seyi filled it and gave it to her, she collected it without looking through it, as she was sure he wrote as much as he could. Then Seyi asked her as she was about to leave, "sorry please the any one send you to me" Seyi felt so many things felt too set up he hadn't planned to fill the form nor stay till now. Heck he didn't even plan to come today after what happened on Saturday when he came for a drummer job. "No", she turned and said, "why did you ask.. " her look showed she was surprised by the question then Seyi responded to her with another question, "never mind but did you see an elder at the pulpit or you have an old man, older than the one that preached today as a minister"

"No" she thought for a while, "the one that preached is our G.O don't think there's any minister older than him there nor at the altar. I am sorry I wasn't really looking at.. " she stopped, looked at him and smiled, picked up his new comers card shaking it then while walking away said, "someone did send me to you"

Seyi, realizing he may get an answer asked with eagerness, "who... Tell me before you go"

She opened the door turned at him and said smiling, "God" she walked out chuckling and close the door.

Seyi was left standing not far from the door dumbfounded wondering was going on, "God ke, she is funny" as he proceeds to leave the church.
Re: Novel: What He Says by gohf: 7:29pm On Mar 01, 2023
Victor Uzodinma:
What He Says

Chapter 4: the day before

"I wonder what her name is, or if I would get to see her again" Seyi thought smiling to himself as he left the church building and began his walk towards the gate.

Meanwhile somewhere in the building, "Mema, Mema... " the young lady cleaning turns "since when did you call me Mema"
"I like that name Katherine calls you... You have another assignment... "

Just as Seyi was about to leave, thinking his Sunday at NCWC was over, a young lady aoproached him and said, "hi, Pastor Tunde would like to see you, please just head towards the adminstrative block behind the church building" after she spoke he left, leaving Seyi a bit puzzled as to why a pastor wanted to see him, "is he the pastor I saw yesterday about the drumming gig?" He thought to himself as he slowing retraced his step past the side of the church building. "Do I still remember the block"

... As Seyi walks he recalls what happened yesterday, the day before

"Is this the church" Seyi whistles, "wow Church get money o" as he admires the magnificent structure and beautiful gate, "I don't think I over dressed" as he looked at his cooperate smart look, "should I even ask for 200k", he smiles to himself as he walks in, "no no let me not be greedy, I will manage 150k" Seyi says smiling to himself. Then he suddenly stops in front of the church structure.

New Calvary Worship Center, NCWC was built on few acres of land, which the church main building the first building you see when you walk few minutes pass the gate. It has walk ways and a massive car park opposite the church building and several buildings inside the compound but none as vast as the church building.

"Where am I go.. Or who do I even meet or ask, the choir director or the senior prophet or pastor" Seyi thought to himself then notices, "why is the place quiet, its.. "He pulls his phone out, "about 3pm, why am I seeing no one. Today is Saturday abi dem no dey do choir rehearsal today". Seyi stood puzzled looking around wondering where next to go, till he saw a young man come out from the church building.

Greg walked out of the church building feeling infuriated while trying to call someone, "where is this guy na, it's already past 3" the phone rings and rings, "he is still not picking, "ah, what do I do, choir rehearsals is almost over" while Greg tries calling again he sees a young man confused standing at the walk way looking either way as if he was lost, till the man, Seyi, noticed him. Greg pocketed his phone and said, "excuse may I help you, are you looking for someone"

"Yes, sorry" Seyi gladly replied, "I am looking for... I am a drummer, I wan.. "
"You're a drummer" Greg countenance brighten up, "thank you Jesus" he said to himself, "Please come in"

Seyi walks towards to Greg and they shake hands, "would you like to drum for our rehearsals".
"Eh but I came.. "
"No matter what please, you would be a life saver, please"

And that was how Seyi drummed for them and after the rehearsals, Greg approached and thanked Seyi at the drum set, "you are quite good". Greg replied, "thanks, I am just wondering if this spot is open for me to become your church's drummer" or even your director because the lady that scored the song didn't seem organized today, Seyi thought to himself.

"We would love to have you here" Greg replied smiling, "well for that, you would have to meet the pastor"... Then Greg took him to the adminstrative block then , a very short meeting Seyi would want to forget.

"Sir, sorry to disturb you,... " Greg who had sighted Pastor Anthony leaving the reception downstairs
"You can see that I am going out, please if it is not important can it wait till tomorrow"
"Well sir, I just meet an amazing drummer who would like to drum for us, I was wondering if we could register him at least for tomorrow... "
"Don't we have a drummer" Pastor asked as he looked at Seyi who smiled and greeted, "good afternoon sir"
"Yes we do, but Jacob didn't come today even when he promised to, I don't know if he will come tomorrow"
"Isn't it just a one time thing"

Greg tried to explain Jacob's unseriousness, before Pastor Anthony said
"If Jacob isn't around tomorrow he can drum, go and register him. Wait is he a member?"
"Ah no, I don't know, I just saw him today" Greg then turns to look at Seyi
"Well sir, I am not a member. I came here looking for a job"
"A job and you are not a member" Pastor Anthony said, "Greg you know we have protocols here, if he was a member we could get him register for tomorrow based on your word"
Greg was silent.
"Anyway, let him go and fill a form" Pastor Anthony turned to leave as Greg walked towards the secretary at the ground floor of the admin building to pick up the form.

Seyi had some thoughts to himself, then asked, "sir" stopping Pastor Anthony on his tracks after Greg had left, Seyi approached and said, "how much do I get per month working as a drummer"

Pastor Anthony looked at him for a moment which made Seyi uncomfortable then asked, "how much do you want"

Then Seyi said with all seriousness, "a 100k would be good, I could even produce for the choir if equipments are available then we can talk about 200k because outside.. " Seyi was cut off by Pastor Anthony's sudden laughter

"son working for God isn't about money, if you are hungry we can feed you. 100k, 200k" Pastor Anthony said as he turned to leave, "it's not even my salary"

Seyi stood there feeling very embarrassed as Greg walked up to me.

Back to presen, as Seyi walks towards a family turn and tries to remember which block is the admin as he reflected on what happened yesterday, "Greg even asked me, what was making Pastor Anthony happy. Did I say something to make him like me. Like me, but like mock me, I wouldn't have fill the form if Greg wasn't insisting or suspecting something I didn't want to tell me. I decided not to come but Greg begged me to come on time today, only for the Jacob guy to be around. Ah the way church treat poor people eh. Greg could only feel sorry. Mtcheww I don't even know why I am still going to that man's office"

"G.O preach scatter today o, I was just feeling the spirit" one stood up gesticulating to the other two women seated at the corner behind the church, "leave that one" one of them said, "did you see how fine the new pastor is" both of them exclaimed and wanted to continue their gossip before Seyi spots them and walks up to them to enquire about the office.

After they point to the adminstrative block, one of them asked, "who is that one" the others shrug shaking their heads.

When Seyi gets to the building, after informing the secretary that pastor tunde asked to see him, he gets directed to his office. Seyi knocks and hears, "come in" he walks in and say, "you asked to see me". The response he hears baffles him, and a surprised look as this wasn't the pastor he meet yesterday.

"I did?" Pastor Tunde asked, trying to find a piece of paper, "wait are you here for a job"

Seyi was surprised wondering if he was going to get the job he asked for yesterday, "yes I am sir"

"Ok, no problem, the pastor that should address you isn't on seat but he has asked me to sign in for him and get you registered to start working as soon as possible" Seyi was all smiles as Pastor Tunde spoke, "I see you are happy"

"Yes sir, I am" Seyi responded then asked, "Could you tell me what the salary would be"

"That would not be a problem, you would paid 30k per month and have an accommodation here at the church and I see... "

"Accommodation" Seyi said confused, "wait, 30k" sounding shocked

"Yes is there any issue, I am actually impressed that a youth these days would consider this job, I was expecting an old man or an illiterate.. No offense" Pastor Tunde said

"None taken" Seyi began to realize that there may be a misunderstanding "Sir please could you tell me what the job entails"

Pastor TD looked at him and said, "it's opening and closing the gate, making sure hooligans don't enter especially when there isn't service"

"A gateman"
"Yes, are you not the one that filled this"

Seyi was handed the form and saw his name, saw it was he filled it as a member interested in filling the post as gateman in the church. Seyi was confused as he didn't fill this, he wanted to explain and reject the ridiculously low amount but remembers what his mum said the prophet told her.

"Seyi, Seyi, prophet say make you come back work for church, say na there your place and destiny dey"
"That's enough mama, which kind useless prophet be that, after all the whole sacrifices and giving. Papa still die, him no even see if him go get accident, lose him job, put us for debt. Abeg Mama... "

Seyi felt bad about that call last month, but also felt he desperately needed a job and maybe with a free place to stay mama Bose no go dey disgrace am. But what about Bolaji, Bolaji had collected his account details saying a deal will soon click and he will get 5%, he didn't know the details of the deal and on Friday I didn't feel like going anywhere with especially coupled with what mama Bose and some others have said about Bolaji. Maybe moving out would do me good, make I know the one way dey do me and this place get many rich people way fit help man destiny..

"So are you the one that filled the form or not? Are you still interested? Is there a problem?" Pastor Tunde David's questions cut Seyi's thoughts.

Seyi accepted and Pastor Tunde was taking him to secretary downstairs to register him.

Meanwhile church had closed, choiresters had met, prayed and dismissed, while Kat returned to her seat she sees a note,
"nothing is always as it seems but forgiveness is what helps us to see."
Kay was shocked at who could drop such a not but suspects only one person could do this, smiles n decides to go and forgive the youth pastor, Pastor Tunde David

On Seyi's way out with Pastor TD, they stumble into Kate who thanks him for playing the drums and helping them with the rehearsal yesterday and as Seyi leaves the tension between Kate and youth pastor builds.

Katherine trying to hold her nerves
"Katherine is nice that you came to see me... "
"I didn't come to see you" Kate cuts him off, still feeling uncomfortable and a bit of disgust towards him
"Kate.. "
"Don't call me that" as she flashes a bit of anger in her eyes towards, but then tries to calm down and breathe
"I just came to say I forgive you for what happened that Friday night it was also my fault. I'm sorry I walked out on you yesterday with a flimsy excuse.. " Katherine trying to ease her feelings and nerves suddenly bursts out, "you know what I am not sorry I walked out, I can't even stand here. What I really want to know is I hope you used a condom and.. "
"Katherine I don't think we should talk about that here" Pastor TD tries to calm her down
"Please I just came to say I forgive you, I don't know what you are doing here as a pastor but I am not a prostitute."

"Could you calm down a bit and listen" Pastor TD tried again bringing his hands towards her shoulders

"Don't you touch me" Katherine spited, "what am I doing here" she immediately turns and storms out

"This is going to be a long interesting assignment" as she left, pastor Tunde david shook and smiled, thinking to himself but nothing happened, I only went to that bar because, ah never mind she's gone already. Hopefully one day I will get the chance to explain myself. Anyway she probably doesn't remember but I am glad she is alive. Pastor Tunde David walks back into his office..
Re: Novel: What He Says by gohf: 7:30pm On Mar 01, 2023
Victor Uzodinma:
What He Says

Chapter 5 A night with mares

"Why did you do it" a male voice spoke in the darkness
"There was a moment I did regret what I did, but I still did it all the same" replied the woman's voice

"I had lived happily with my husband for many years, well so I thought, because the illusion we women tend to be believe seem stronger than the truth we see. He was a loving and caring man but that's too late for me to recall all that. All he did to me was rebuke me, I would shout back at him and remind him his many faults. I had always been like this, fighting back, speaking back and I had won must times. If I had known the devil was setting me up, maybe... " the female voiced paused, "no I don't think anything would have changed, I heard a lot of counsel yet I was hell bent with my mindset of what I do not know what to call it. Stubbornness, equality, pride, indeed stubbornness is like witchcraft, the worse kind and pride goes before a fall. I told him he would never find any woman as good as I was to me. Hmm, but he did and that infuriated me the most. No matter how bad my attitude was" the voice trembled in tears, "he never reported me, maybe he should have. Ha ha haha" she laughs, "spare the rod spoil the child, I was indeed spoilt by both my father and husband. I felt how can a sinner like him tell me what is right, he won't pray, he wouldn't go to church, saying I was nagging him with religion"

"So you are a christian" the male voice inquired

"Yes I am, or should I say I was. Till I let rage get the better of me. But who was I angry at, my husband, the woman or my self" she signed as she adjusted herself, placing her hand which hand cuffs on the table. "I find it difficult to blame myself for what happened, it still feels like a dream, a nightmare"

"One you won't be waking out of very soon. So tell me why did you kill them and how did you find out, how were you sure they were having an affair? "

"I was jealous, jealous like any wife would be, no like any neglected woman would be. I noticed the late nights, the reduction in quarells, he started letting me have my way  I mean it's every womans dream to have what she wants but it was becoming uncomfortable."

'How so?"

"We women are complicated beings, but I think we never get to truly understand men. I knew he didn't love me anymore and lost interest in me, when he would ignore me, or let me have my say. It pleased me at first, and my pride blinded me, I thought my prayers were being answered, till I saw the text"

"What text?"

"I have prepared the rice just the way you like it, should I get drinks or wine before you come.  So a simple text shouldn't make me suspicious but it did. My husband had a way he loved his rice to be made, in the first two years of marriage we argued and fought about it, I had thought I had won and he succumbed my pattern of jollof rice. At that moment men are stubborn and wicked, was he going to eat another woman's food after agreeing with me to make soup for dinner. Was he even going to come home, was this the reason for his late nights. I didn't even ask myself when was the last time I let him make a decision I didn't agree with. At that moment I swore if he was cheating on me I would kill him, I would poison them, they would eat their food and die"

"Madame you're not a christian o, you swore you murdered. Did your bible not say you should submit. That's why I like Muslims. You thought you were going to convert him by forcing him and you have forced him down to his grave and the innocent woman"

"Innocent? Hmm, do you know what he said to me before he slumped and died beside her. 'I have found her, a woman far more submissive than you'. Then die with I said. What woman kills her husband" she started to cry

" Abeg madame no dey cry, at least you fit still repent for jail" the officer stands up taking her statement and walks out the door

While the officer heads out he stumbles upon a senior colleague who asks, "erm, who is that woman and what's the problem, I could hear her sobs and... "
Oh, the officer looks back at the door, "Mrs Tolani Badmus, she... "

"Wait who?"
"Sir, do you know her?"
"Yes, maybe, tell me, what's the matter why is she crying, what happened to her"
"Happened to her? More like what she did, she murdered her husband and a woman, who she claimed is the mistress"
"Murdered her husband? That's not possible, it's probably not the Mrs Badmus I know"
The officer looks at him strangely, "Sir in this our line of work, what is there to be surprised"

"You don't understand, the Mrs Badmus I know is a member of my church, NCWC I keep inviting you to, she's also a worker... "
The younger officer chuckles, "sir, I didn't know you go to church"

"Come on get out of here" the senior officer hissed then stares at the door while the junior officer leaves then murmurs to himself, "she better not see me here and ask for help, is there anyway I could even help her. How was she even caught?" He kept thinking to himself. "Ah, franco you have spoil too much o, u are not thinking why did she even kill her husband. Eh whats my own, I for get benefits from this one o. Mrs Badmus, wait is that why she wanted me to tail her husband. I hope she will not implicate me. Did I do anything implicating. This is not good" the senior office walks away from the door

... Somewhere in the world, between the earth and the depth gathered figures, surrounded by purple burning light shruded in garments of darkness sitting upon midsts till an ancient bell rung. Diiii, diiii, diiii

"We arise and welcome master" the figures arise mid air and bow, as another figure shruded in strange waving light and beautiful apparel appears in their midst

"I have just returned from a high counsel meeting, praises were given for the war within  the countries of the northern continent and progress to reclaim an ancient casket and weaken the faith of many and live them hopeless. I had very little to report as regards this city and the assignment given" their master sounded a bit flat and casual in it's speech but the figures shook in fear before one of them walked forward and said, "master it is not... " the master rose and the demonic pressure it unleashed made the figure back away... "I do not need any explanations, I did results and progress"

Another figure walked out and spoke, "we have successful infiltrated new Calvary Worship center and... "

The master spoke in anger, "was he able to start the ministry " the whole place shook

"Master we failed to stop nor discourage the growth of the ministry, neither of the vices we used such as wealth, fake power, popularity  pressure worked like in some other churches. Our biggest obstacle seems to be his wife, she refuses to be used and also we preceive the presence of a variable in their midst"

Master, "is it him"

"Master we are not sure it's about him, we are not at the level to verify his presence but the workings may also be due to him and.. "

Master thought for a moment as if recollecting something or receiving a message from afar, "never mind, their period of testing shall come, they are key to taking the city. Make sure the bigger churches and ministries we control put pressure on them when the time comes. Once they fall, the smaller churches under them will shatter and what was it about infiltrating the church"

"Master we have successful sent one of our own into their workers, it was almost impossible with their strictness in appointing roles"

Master, "wasn't there supposed to be a sacrifice from that church recently"

"Yes master but she didn't kill herself again, but we found a subtitle, a good man murdered by his wife. If she gets killed we would have three sacrifices instead of just.. "

Master, "what business does the man, wait wait, he wasn't a member but he was covered. Hmm"

The Master turns and disappears

One of the figures presumably the leader of that branch walks forward to the rest, "as you have heard from Master, the plan Golgotha commences, if we fail there will be a revival. The demons won't feed and our power would reduce. Is that want we want"

Shouts of, "No, No, No... " echo through this mid-realm in this desolate region

Then a figure looks at a distance and murmurs, "is someone watching us or is just my imagination"

The figure speaking previously, "is anything the matter" of which he receives a negative, "then let's all return to our posts and assignments and carry out master's plan for this city

At this moment somewhere in Lagos, Mema gasps awake, stares at the ceiling fan rotating slowly in her room as she could barely hear the clock tick as if the second hand had slowed down to micro-seconds. The moment she breathes out, it feels like everything returns back to normal, "it's time" she said to herself...

Many voices speaking
"Ha haha you can never have guts kate", "you are all a lone Kate", "sleep with me Kate and the promotion is yours."
"If you don't yeild to me you will die" Kate can't scream and she can't run, there's like a nose on her neck and she's drowning into the floor.. Gasping for breathe till she wakes up, breathing heavily, she hears a beep that startles the words she was trying to mutter, "Jesus" out of her mouth. But it was a message that dropped into her phone, she scratches her hair as she reaches for her phone, "I couldn't even say his name" then she views the message, "wake up and pray"

"This probably Mema... " she said to herself, "I can't possibly pray now I.. " the deletes the the rest part of her response until pray now, then sends it. She gets an immediate response that shocks her, "your word life will affect your prayer life, let's study together some time"

"My God does this girl ever sleep" Katherine shocked by the response, "I guess she does, she probably isn't hunted like me" she gups and exhales, "let get some water and relax a bit"

She looks at the time as she pours water for herself, "its too 6, I shouldn't be worried it's not like I have a job to go to today. Too think I almost committed suicide because of that" as she sights a bottle she had placed on her top shelf...

"Will this week be any worse that last week" Kate asks herself as she sighs. At this moment Kate begins to think instead of sleeping which she felt she couldn't nor praying either.
Re: Novel: What He Says by gohf: 2:21pm On Mar 05, 2023
If you want the continuation let me know 😊

(1) (Reply)

Could Be Love / My Village Love (Chapter 1) / Did I Interupt The Game?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 213
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.