Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,348 members, 7,819,235 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 01:09 PM

Aliko Dangote Is $2.5 Billion Richer Than Oprah Winfrey - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Aliko Dangote Is $2.5 Billion Richer Than Oprah Winfrey (17209 Views)

Meet Aliko Dangote's Daughter, Halima / Dangote Is Africa's First $20 Billion Man, Now 25th World Richest! / Folorunsho Alakija Surpasses Oprah Winfrey As Richest Black Woman In The World! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Aliko Dangote Is $2.5 Billion Richer Than Oprah Winfrey by tundewoods(m): 10:52pm On Aug 29, 2007
Aliko Dangote Is $2.5 Billion Richer Than Oprah Winfrey

According to August Edition of Networth magazine whose cover featured 20 richest black enterpreneurs. According to the publication Aliko Dangote is the 6th richest black enterpreneur with a Networth of $4 Billion while Oprah Winfery is the 12th with a networth of $1.5 Billion.Infact she is the only Female that made the list and one of the 2 African Americans on the list

2 other Nigerian Enterprenuers made the list,they are Mike Adenuga jnr. at the 9th position with a networth of $3 billion while Kase lawal is on the 10th spot with a networth of $1.6 billion.

Dangote is $ 2.5 Billion richer than Oprah Winfery.I remember a previous thread started regarding who was richer between the 2 enterpreneurs.It's really funny to know that some folks find it hard to believe that a Nigerian can be richer than Oprah.

Between a Nigerian industrialist and American media mogul,the difference is a clear $2.5 Billion. wink !!!

For full story and details on this piece you can check it out at http://networthng.com/currentissue.php or simply grab a copy of Networth Maganzine.
Re: Aliko Dangote Is $2.5 Billion Richer Than Oprah Winfrey by obong(m): 12:44am On Aug 30, 2007
its good to read.
Re: Aliko Dangote Is $2.5 Billion Richer Than Oprah Winfrey by Nicklee(m): 1:18am On Aug 30, 2007
I'm quite sure Dangote is worth more than $4b. Wait till he lists his flour and the cement company on the stock market. With the expectant astronomical price appreciation these stocks will witness, there is no doubt he'll be worth more than $10b. He's got cement, flour, sugar, telecom, oil and gas, etc companies all spinning mega bucks for him.
Re: Aliko Dangote Is $2.5 Billion Richer Than Oprah Winfrey by hedgesfun(m): 5:25pm On Aug 30, 2007
As much as I do not really want to be commenting on issues like this I think am left with no option other than to make this little opinion of mine known here and no matter what you feel or think its my own candid opinion and I guess am free to express it but it should also be a school of taught to us Nigerians and whoever is interested.
Lets look at where they are coming from and how they actually get into their billions,
One is someone that uses her personal ability to strive in an environment where there is a level playing ground and opportunity for anyone that really wants to succeed in that case she came from where there are millions of competitions and potential competition's day by day,
however the other comes from an environment where he is the only one that does it all where he uses his power and connections to wedge off competitions and ensure that he is the only one doing it all from an environment whereby millions of people are put into suffering to ensure only one emerge as the Billionaire in town or can anyone tell me howmany sugar refinery do we have in Nigeria today and could you tell me why its only Dangote that is give licence to import all that he imports and why are imports duties on his own importations are lesser than the other even smaller companies trying to be in such line of business. Could someone tell me why the Nigerian Railways are dying by the day while Dangote Trailers are striving day by day that is just to mention a few but my own submission is if you are rich and you make others around you poor in the process then you are not rich.

1 Like

Re: Aliko Dangote Is $2.5 Billion Richer Than Oprah Winfrey by skintom77: 6:12pm On Aug 30, 2007
I just checked out the networth site and i must say this as my own personal view.

Agreed that dangote is a rich entreprenuer but the true wealth of an individual is not determied by how much he/she is worth in dollars or gold bullion but rather how how much positive impact such a person has on the community.

Que.1-how much impact has dangote on Nigeria(apart from buying up all  our national legacies through syndicated loan facilities from banks) as an entity compared to oprah?

Secondly lets understand one thing: the way we calculate networth in nigeria is very different from how it is estimated abroad.

In Nigeria, networth includes both houses and cars which are liabilites while abroad your networth is determined through a detailed estimated market value of your assets.

Assets here refer to those productive resources that have a potential return on investment which include things like your trustfund,money in your retirement savings account,stock holding in companies, and not your holiday home or your fleet of cars or some fancy wardrobe.

Finally dangote is rich no doubt but I am of the opinion that oprah is far richer than him because if you are a regular viewer of the oprah show which is not by sponsored by any government,you will know that she has touched and changed the lives of many.

CHEERS!

1 Like

Re: Aliko Dangote Is $2.5 Billion Richer Than Oprah Winfrey by gbolio4(m): 12:15am On Aug 31, 2007
A friend and i still spoke on this issue today. and our bottom-line was that Oprah can probably proudly point to and enumerate all the things she did to make her money, while our dear Dangote really cannot !
Re: Aliko Dangote Is $2.5 Billion Richer Than Oprah Winfrey by tundewoods(m): 1:39am On Aug 31, 2007

@ gbolio 4
To think that you wanted to make a much more serious post that you could defend !

I guess you are free to your opinion but i honestly i doubt if you have any idea of Dangote's Business Empire as the largest single investor in Nigeria.My friend try to learn from his modest and enviable enterpreneural skills and not just posting opinions that you can not defend.

Re: Aliko Dangote Is $2.5 Billion Richer Than Oprah Winfrey by ibkn(m): 5:38pm On Aug 31, 2007
well 2 dangote one question?
all dem loans u collect from bank u don pay am finish?
before you say someone has a certain networth look at his liabilities. am sure ovia would not like dem rating his most valued debtor has 6th richest man.
also all those shady deals like cement importing at the detriment of ibeto and co, should be taken into consideration.
there is a major difference between wealth gottem through sure means than through backyard or illegitimate deals.
finally if he is that rich then how rich is his major finacier and vacker OLUSEGUN OBASANJO? men all dese issues sef.
Re: Aliko Dangote Is $2.5 Billion Richer Than Oprah Winfrey by easimoni(m): 6:39pm On Aug 31, 2007
All this beef!
Contrary to mr Kiyosaki's rich dad, poor dad ramblings, cars and houses are assets as long as they are helping your business generate money. have you even seen Oprah's houses?

And if you understood anything about companies, you'd know that there are several scenarios where it's better to borrow money than sell equity. Every company has debt even Oprah's.

And what the Dangote-haters clearly don't understand is that a corrupt capitalist is much better option than having the (even more corrupt) govt engaged in private enterprise. What heritage did he buy and why didn't you bid when he bought it? If the govt could run it's business, why would they sell it? Since we refused to let him but the refineries, we are condemned to continue to import refined products fro the forseeable future. Can NNPC suddenly run a refinery (after decades of futility)?

And as a xtian, I find it quite sickening that people keep pointing to the "good works" of Oprah? Doesn't your bible (or Koran) forbid you from publicising your charity? What if Aliko has given away fortunes with the media's knowledge. Oprah has her reward already. Don't criticize someone for a lack of giving when you have no idea what the person is doing behind closed doors.
Re: Aliko Dangote Is $2.5 Billion Richer Than Oprah Winfrey by Seun(m): 6:43pm On Aug 31, 2007
have you even seen Oprah's houses?
How does Oprah having houses make it any less of a liability. I'm sure the houses cost her money!
Re: Aliko Dangote Is $2.5 Billion Richer Than Oprah Winfrey by easimoni(m): 8:31pm On Aug 31, 2007
Seun:

How does Oprah having houses make it any less of a liability. I'm sure the houses cost her money!
If anything, Oprah's mansions would be even greater liabilities than anything Dangote owns.
Re: Aliko Dangote Is $2.5 Billion Richer Than Oprah Winfrey by Temmie10(m): 8:38pm On Aug 31, 2007
@Easimoni

u don reach here?
i been tire too when i see the dangote beef o,
us wey dey chop for nse definitely no get beef with dangote,

In any case, Do you know Oprah makes even more money from her tv shows which supposedly display her acts of kindness?
Paradoxical, i would say.
Re: Aliko Dangote Is $2.5 Billion Richer Than Oprah Winfrey by Seun(m): 9:56pm On Aug 31, 2007
There's nothing related to this topic in the page you linked to. angry
Re: Aliko Dangote Is $2.5 Billion Richer Than Oprah Winfrey by debojyde(m): 10:28pm On Aug 31, 2007
Adenuga-3 million dollars=360 million naira only(con oil,globacom etc).This article is total nonsense.
Re: Aliko Dangote Is $2.5 Billion Richer Than Oprah Winfrey by A40(m): 10:43pm On Aug 31, 2007
That guy is on mad bar!! his cheddarz need bed rest man its sick i saw an article where he claimed to make 25 naira from every Nigerian every day
Re: Aliko Dangote Is $2.5 Billion Richer Than Oprah Winfrey by RichyBlacK(m): 11:48pm On Aug 31, 2007
Seun:

There's nothing related to this topic in the page you linked to. angry

Exactly!

There's nothing there!
Re: Aliko Dangote Is $2.5 Billion Richer Than Oprah Winfrey by 9ja4eva: 12:14am On Sep 01, 2007
Na hype or reality cos dt link gat no info
Re: Aliko Dangote Is $2.5 Billion Richer Than Oprah Winfrey by RichyBlacK(m): 12:29am On Sep 01, 2007
Anyway, I'm not surprised that the link is broken (as at this moment), because I doubt the veracity of the article.

This hullabaloo by Dangote's supporters is sadly comical.

Can those retards who cheat to pass JAMB and get astronomically high scores contemplate winning an academic competition on the world stage, e.g. the International Physics Olympiad? Na today? Elephant fit cause earthquake?

Can so-called ritual killers, who (allegedly) use human organs to make money and claim that there is no end to their wealth, outspend Warren Buffet? Who dash monkey banana?

Dangote and his minions think that being the local champion of a heavily rigged game in Abuja can make them dream of being world champions in a fairly refereed, better scrutinized game at the world stage.

No Networth Magazine can make Dangote what he is not. Dangote is rich, but he if he seeks international recognition, only an internationally recognized institution, that is well-known and respected in the field of estimating "net worth", can give him that. All this noise and use of relatively unknown magazines to push an agenda of legitimacy for illegitimate wealth is just a waste of everybody's time!

No matter how tolotolo make noise rish, e nor fit fly rish pidgin.
Re: Aliko Dangote Is $2.5 Billion Richer Than Oprah Winfrey by choco4life(m): 1:11am On Sep 01, 2007
Dont now the criterion used but every one sure do know that mike adenuga is more worth than $3million?
Imagine Glo(Nig and Benin),coniol,the bank,major sponsors of the NFL, and imagine the fortune they are dolling for the forth coming int'l half marathon,
(already above $3million)
Re: Aliko Dangote Is $2.5 Billion Richer Than Oprah Winfrey by rufaai(m): 1:19am On Sep 01, 2007
WOW!  shocked Go Aliko,

I am really proud of Dangote, he did great. I appreciate him, his crew and everything about him. Sugar refinary, Portland Cement, Spagetti etc

Go Dangote, Go Nigeria, Go AFRICA!
Re: Aliko Dangote Is $2.5 Billion Richer Than Oprah Winfrey by miky(m): 1:36am On Sep 01, 2007
i always knew he was reacher no surprise. infact obj might be richer than oprah too .
Re: Aliko Dangote Is $2.5 Billion Richer Than Oprah Winfrey by jerodawiz(m): 1:47am On Sep 01, 2007
Aliko dangote is definitely the richest nigerian, i guess how he started, a loan of N500k from his uncle. Thats spirit!! any of us can be an Aliko Dangote in the making, all we need to do is believe. feel me wink
Re: Aliko Dangote Is $2.5 Billion Richer Than Oprah Winfrey by jerodawiz(m): 1:51am On Sep 01, 2007
Aliko Dangote is definitely the richest nigerian alive. And guess how he started, a N500k loan from his uncle. Thats spirit!!. Any of us can be an Aliko Dangote in the making, All we have to do is believe. feel me wink
Re: Aliko Dangote Is $2.5 Billion Richer Than Oprah Winfrey by GL(f): 4:06am On Sep 01, 2007
we'd be deceiving ourselves to think these americans make all their money without cutting corners here or there, it's just that we Nigerians tend to take these things to far. there will always be very rich Nigerians like Dangote and Adenuga. they might be cheats, ritual-killers, election riggers or whatever, but they'll still remain super rich. we might as well be happy then that they are investing heavily in Nigeria. afterall, how many people actually believe in Nigeria enough to invest the way Dangote and Adenuga have done? the "big men" have always invested their "stolen" money in other countries, so if some people are investing "our" money in our own country we might just think of it as people who have ideas helping the govt. which doesnt and getting paid heavily for that.
Re: Aliko Dangote Is $2.5 Billion Richer Than Oprah Winfrey by tundewoods(m): 5:20am On Sep 01, 2007
@ GL

Sweetheart well said,They are believers in Nigeria that's why a good percentage of thier investments are here.
Beefer & haters only like to see the negatives. grin
Re: Aliko Dangote Is $2.5 Billion Richer Than Oprah Winfrey by goodbuay(m): 6:03am On Sep 01, 2007
Have u heard of Alikos latest Obajana cement company in Kogi state?if u havnt.Its the largest cement company in Africa,and third largest in the world.His sugar factory is the second largest in the world after a brazilian sugar factory.When his sugar factory starts full production can supply africa for a year without shortage of supply.4real man.can u beat that
Re: Aliko Dangote Is $2.5 Billion Richer Than Oprah Winfrey by goodbuay(m): 6:05am On Sep 01, 2007
Jero i feel u!ure updated.
Re: Aliko Dangote Is $2.5 Billion Richer Than Oprah Winfrey by joycexz(f): 10:28am On Sep 01, 2007
There is no need arguing over this. Dangote is rich and so what! Oprah is rich. Its not news. Let them make impact in the lives of the common man and not building some fancy school. As long as they dont make impact in the lives of the starving world out there, they are only rich for their pockets.
Re: Aliko Dangote Is $2.5 Billion Richer Than Oprah Winfrey by jerodawiz(m): 10:49am On Sep 01, 2007
wink yes o! make una go make una own money
Re: Aliko Dangote Is $2.5 Billion Richer Than Oprah Winfrey by KnowAll(m): 11:03am On Sep 01, 2007
ALL NIGERIANS PAST LEADERS EXCEPT PROBABLY SHAGARI & GOWON ARE PROBABLY RICHER THAN DANGOTE. They not fit talk wen den get there money from. In one of Abacha's account $500.00million dollars was returned to the fedral account. If Mike Adenuga can be on the list, u tin say in God -father no get pass am (OBJ),. Having said that Dangote is a man that have never been in goverment, and i dont see anything wrong with how he made his money, we all know he as a very good patronage of the goverment of the day. It happens abroad too, Abromovich bought a company that is worth $2 billion dollars for $180 million dollars, thats how he became the richest man in britain. Dangote is more than welcome to buy a premiership team too that would increase his profile world-wide, and it will also increase Nigeria's profile.
Re: Aliko Dangote Is $2.5 Billion Richer Than Oprah Winfrey by kuwena(m): 12:04pm On Sep 01, 2007
Take especial consideration of the publishers of that magazine, and their credibility.
Re: Aliko Dangote Is $2.5 Billion Richer Than Oprah Winfrey by Moyodayo: 12:40pm On Sep 01, 2007
Point of correction Mike Adenuga worth $3 billion not $3 million

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

PHOTOS: Folorunsho Alakija Covers July Edition Of Today's Woman Magazine / . / Sugar: Dangote Can Do More, BUA Has Not Done Enough - Chika Mbonu

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.