Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,046 members, 7,814,588 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 03:43 PM

Verbal Offer Is Not Enough, It Is Not An Offer Letter. - Jobs/Vacancies (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / Verbal Offer Is Not Enough, It Is Not An Offer Letter. (8328 Views)

Has Anyone Received Offer Letter From Teach For Nigeria (TFN) / Vital Information Must Be In Your Offer Letter Before You Accept It. / My Boss Indirectly Refused To Give Me An Offer Letter. What Should I Do? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Verbal Offer Is Not Enough, It Is Not An Offer Letter. by Peter101813: 3:28pm On Feb 22, 2023
The article above should not be joke with, I am experiencing it right now, everything was verbal, we are talking about 250m. Like this, I also left without resigning. Before you work for anybody, you must have a contract binding both of you.

3 Likes

Re: Verbal Offer Is Not Enough, It Is Not An Offer Letter. by hardbody: 3:29pm On Feb 22, 2023
Hezzyluv:
Too true.

Since when I started my little business, I discovered is not worth it working under someone or one yeye even if na 200k per month for 9ja.

Na me know wetin I dey talk.

Since my employers bought me a house and official car, pay my ikoyi club membership, DSTV subscription, offshore trainings, healthcare, generating set and diesel, etc, I am not in a hurry to work for myself. I even use official time and facilities to run my side hustle. I am not even a director yet.

My point? different strokes for different folks. Let us make the best of wherever we find ourselves and remain focused.

15 Likes 1 Share

Re: Verbal Offer Is Not Enough, It Is Not An Offer Letter. by Nnaemiemax: 3:30pm On Feb 22, 2023
Rubyjade:
Thanks for sharing this useful information, just of recent one particular company reach out to me for a particular vacant position and after scaling through all the processes i was told to resume immediately, ah just like that without offer letter and they told me i will get my offer letter on the first day of my resumption, after some days when they didn't hear from me they finally sent an offer letter to me. While checking through the third page of the offer letter I saw "six month probation period and employee shall work minimum of two years starting from this date of contracts or else employee should refund three months salary". To me that's a BIG red flag

Scary 😧
Re: Verbal Offer Is Not Enough, It Is Not An Offer Letter. by victorVIC1(m): 3:31pm On Feb 22, 2023
Do not be lured into forfeiting your current job without a valid contract from your prospective employer

5 Likes

Re: Verbal Offer Is Not Enough, It Is Not An Offer Letter. by Nnaemiemax: 3:32pm On Feb 22, 2023
hardbody:

Since my employers bought me a house and official car, pay my ikoyi club membership, DSTV subscription, offshore trainings, healthcare, generating set and diesel, etc, I am not in a hurry to work for myself. I even use official time and facilities to run my side hustle. I am not even a director yet.

My point? different strokes for different folks. Let us make the best of wherever we find ourselves and remain focused.

Boss I connect into this level of Favour. 🙏
Re: Verbal Offer Is Not Enough, It Is Not An Offer Letter. by SimeonOTC(m): 3:34pm On Feb 22, 2023
Hamachi:
Thank you for sheding more light on this. I fell victim out of ignorance and desperation. I hope people learn. In fact, do not drop a resignation letter at your current place of work until you have received an offer letter, and accepted the offer.

Please can you tell me why you said so? I really need to know because am about to resign from my current work and I wasn't given an offer letter. I have worked here for over 2years.

4 Likes

Re: Verbal Offer Is Not Enough, It Is Not An Offer Letter. by FashionCookie(f): 3:36pm On Feb 22, 2023
Antoeni:
WE'VE TRIED UMBRELLA, IT LEAKED. WE TRIED BROOM, THEY SWEPT US AWAY. VOTE FOR HUMAN BEINGS
If na by that one, human beings are the most dangerous...they'll kill you.

6 Likes

Re: Verbal Offer Is Not Enough, It Is Not An Offer Letter. by Herdamorlar: 3:37pm On Feb 22, 2023
Can you take promotion without offer letter? just a verbal offer that you have been promoted and on probation for 1month then they will give offer letter.

1 Like

Re: Verbal Offer Is Not Enough, It Is Not An Offer Letter. by dfrost: 3:37pm On Feb 22, 2023
Just curious Oyindamolah, are these your original thoughts?
Re: Verbal Offer Is Not Enough, It Is Not An Offer Letter. by dfrost: 3:39pm On Feb 22, 2023
SimeonOTC:

Please can you tell me why you said so? I really need to know because am about to resign from my current work and I wasn't given an offer letter. I have worked here for over 2years.

No contract whatsoever?
Re: Verbal Offer Is Not Enough, It Is Not An Offer Letter. by Femich18(m): 3:40pm On Feb 22, 2023
Rubyjade:
Thanks for sharing this useful information, just of recent one particular company reach out to me for a particular vacant position and after scaling through all the processes i was told to resume immediately, ah just like that without offer letter and they told me i will get my offer letter on the first day of my resumption, after some days when they didn't hear from me they finally sent an offer letter to me. While checking through the third page of the offer letter I saw "six month probation period and employee shall work minimum of two years starting from this date of contracts or else employee should refund three months salary". To me that's a BIG red flag
Those days when we were naive one Org kept saying they will send offer letter although we have agreed when to resume o but offer letter wasn't sent.
My job then was a shift Job, day and night so when the day came for me to resume at my new workplace, I was on night in my former company. I resumed in that new place and was told I'll get My offer letter before I close that Day 1. I sha got it and it was a big red flag with plenty of Don't woth deductions even the monthly renumeration was below what we agreed.
I just finished the day work and told my colleague I'm not coming again. What saved me was that I haven't resigned in my workplace if not I could have just lost on 2 grounds. I resumed my night shift in my workplace and forget about this new job.

8 Likes

Re: Verbal Offer Is Not Enough, It Is Not An Offer Letter. by evawhite(f): 3:40pm On Feb 22, 2023
dedons:
I can relate with this.

I remember when a female friend of mine went for an interview at a company on the island sometime last year. After the interview and salary negotiation, she left, only for the company to call her the following week to resume.

I advised her to request for the offer letter before any resumption and she did, unfortunately, the agreed salary was intentionally not stated on the affer letter. When she inquired to know if it was an error on their part, she was told that is the amount they can pay and that it is left for her to either accept or reject it. Well, she rejected it and now she is doing very fine elsewhere.

Some Nigerians believe they are the smartest of all.

It sounds like your friend is already in a difficult situation. I would suggest that she speak directly with the employer and make sure that the agreed-upon salary is stated in the offer letter. If the employer refuses to do this, then she may want to consider looking for a new job in a different industry. There are a lot of great resume writing services houston that can help her find a job in a suitable industry.
Re: Verbal Offer Is Not Enough, It Is Not An Offer Letter. by Sablexxxtoons: 3:50pm On Feb 22, 2023
Actually a signed Contract of Employment is more Important than an offer letter.

2 Likes

Re: Verbal Offer Is Not Enough, It Is Not An Offer Letter. by sofeo(m): 3:51pm On Feb 22, 2023
Alright

Check my Signature
Re: Verbal Offer Is Not Enough, It Is Not An Offer Letter. by Nnamaka1: 3:53pm On Feb 22, 2023
[quote author=Oyindamolah post=121099178][/quote]

[b] I learned this bitter truth the very hard way. I fell into great depression afterwards. I felt like a failure.

Sometimes way back, I was called by Serve Consulting in GRA Ikeja Lagos for interview, I passed the first stage and was subsequently invited to come meet the boss (a Lady) after chatting with her and discussing salary, she offer me the job and congratulated me, and asked when I can start, I replied anytime, she was like can I start tomorrow, which was a Friday, I said no problem, she then said I should start on the following Monday, but I should wait for her email to confirm when to start coming to work. I went home with great Joy. Gave the good news to all my family, we were so excited. Only for days to grow into weeks and weeks into month still no email or call from them. I tried calling the company but was dismissed by the rude receptionist.

I can never seem to forget that experience. Lol.

Ever since then I don't trust human words, I only go by sight and touch from now on [/b]

1 Like

Re: Verbal Offer Is Not Enough, It Is Not An Offer Letter. by LOSKYXANDER: 4:16pm On Feb 22, 2023
I once applied for a job and was invited for a rigorous interview. The manager and admin staff were present. After the interview, I was congratulated and told I passed. These people even sent me some documents (excluding an offer letter) which I signed and sent back to them via email. They said the next step would be induction. This was in May 2022. Up to this day, I was never invited to the so called induction. I have learnt my lessons!!

1 Like

Re: Verbal Offer Is Not Enough, It Is Not An Offer Letter. by Cutehector(m): 4:22pm On Feb 22, 2023
lereinter:

What of a company that their offer of employment is email message

I mean typed email message

Nb : no document attachment

I just laughed when I saw it
its valid only if it is signed
Re: Verbal Offer Is Not Enough, It Is Not An Offer Letter. by arshavineering(m): 4:50pm On Feb 22, 2023
At least credit the original writer of this message.

You are supposed to be a professional. 🥴
Re: Verbal Offer Is Not Enough, It Is Not An Offer Letter. by hardbody: 5:05pm On Feb 22, 2023
Nnaemiemax:

Boss I connect into this level of Favour. 🙏

Amen to your prayers bro. Remain focused, I have more or less paid my dues. So shall it reach all of us.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Verbal Offer Is Not Enough, It Is Not An Offer Letter. by baralatie(m): 5:07pm On Feb 22, 2023
Rubyjade:
Na wa
Lonri elo

1 Like

Re: Verbal Offer Is Not Enough, It Is Not An Offer Letter. by baralatie(m): 5:09pm On Feb 22, 2023
Sablexxxtoons:
Actually a signed Contract of Employment is more Important than an offer letter.
Re: Verbal Offer Is Not Enough, It Is Not An Offer Letter. by dfrost: 5:29pm On Feb 22, 2023
I ask the op again: are these your original thoughts? E get why
Re: Verbal Offer Is Not Enough, It Is Not An Offer Letter. by abobss(m): 6:32pm On Feb 22, 2023
hardbody:

Amen to your prayers bro. Remain focused, I have more or less paid my dues. So shall it reach all of us.

Amen
Re: Verbal Offer Is Not Enough, It Is Not An Offer Letter. by Karlifate: 6:42pm On Feb 22, 2023
cheesy

Dem no dey tell person
Re: Verbal Offer Is Not Enough, It Is Not An Offer Letter. by SimeonOTC(m): 7:57pm On Feb 22, 2023
dfrost:

No contract whatsoever?
Nope..no contract
Re: Verbal Offer Is Not Enough, It Is Not An Offer Letter. by dfrost: 8:39pm On Feb 22, 2023
SimeonOTC:

Nope..no contract

Company handbook?
Re: Verbal Offer Is Not Enough, It Is Not An Offer Letter. by lereinter(m): 8:53pm On Feb 22, 2023
Cutehector:

Hmm
Re: Verbal Offer Is Not Enough, It Is Not An Offer Letter. by lavylilly: 10:21pm On Feb 22, 2023
shocked
Peter101813:
The article above should not be joke with, I am experiencing it right now, everything was verbal, we are talking about 250m. Like this, I also left without resigning. Before you work for anybody, you must have a contract binding both of you.
Re: Verbal Offer Is Not Enough, It Is Not An Offer Letter. by dedons: 10:23pm On Feb 22, 2023
evawhite:

It sounds like your friend is already in a difficult situation. I would suggest that she speak directly with the employer and make sure that the agreed-upon salary is stated in the offer letter. If the employer refuses to do this, then she may want to consider looking for a new job in a different industry. There are a lot of great resume writing services houston that can help her find a job in a suitable industry.

please read what you quoted well.
Re: Verbal Offer Is Not Enough, It Is Not An Offer Letter. by lavylilly: 10:28pm On Feb 22, 2023
Cutehector:
Oga it's not
Re: Verbal Offer Is Not Enough, It Is Not An Offer Letter. by Cutehector(m): 10:32pm On Feb 22, 2023
lavylilly:
Oga it's not
ah ah.. What do you know? I work with a multinational and my offer letter was sent via email and signed electronically by management.

I dont even want to argue sef.

1 Like

Re: Verbal Offer Is Not Enough, It Is Not An Offer Letter. by lavylilly: 12:37am On Feb 23, 2023
He said the body of the email
Cutehector:
ah ah.. What do you know? I work with a multinational and my offer letter was sent via email and signed electronically by management.

I dont even want to argue sef.
Is first bank MNC?

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Crusader Sterling Pensions Calling / Federal Medical Centre, Yenagoa Job Recruitment (29 Positions) / Demand Of Work Experience Frustration By Employers - What Can Be Done!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.