Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,818 members, 7,831,664 topics. Date: Saturday, 18 May 2024 at 12:24 AM

The Underrated Cotonou (benin Republic) - Travel (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / The Underrated Cotonou (benin Republic) (81490 Views)

Ado Ekiti Is Underrated / Is Ikot-Ekpene Nigeria's Most Underrated City? / Is ILORIN Nigeria's Most Underrated City? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (21) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Underrated Cotonou (benin Republic) by somehow: 10:33pm On Mar 05, 2023
CaptainFM1:

APC

You mean Nigeria was good 8 years ago?
Re: The Underrated Cotonou (benin Republic) by Eriokanmi: 10:34pm On Mar 05, 2023
I always love going to Benin..I remember the Obama beach, festival des glases amd hotel du lak. Nice places.

1 Like

Re: The Underrated Cotonou (benin Republic) by grandstar(m): 10:34pm On Mar 05, 2023
I wouldn't mind moving but I don't speak French. Counting money in French would be a problem

1 Like

Re: The Underrated Cotonou (benin Republic) by somehow: 10:35pm On Mar 05, 2023
GeneralPulal:

Fuel is cost. They don’t have fuel and it’s from Nigeria they buy from.

Normally, fuel is cost in every country that do import fuel..

When it comes to food, it’s cheap..
When it comes to electricity, they amount you’ll spent a month won’t be up to the money you’ll use to buy fuel in a month..

You will rarely see filling stations, it's mostly road side sellers in kegs.

Without Nigeria, part of their economy will collapse..

They make alot from goods that gets shipped to Nigeria via their ports.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Underrated Cotonou (benin Republic) by babyfaceafrica: 10:36pm On Mar 05, 2023
Hopez456:
Op is truly on point. I was raised and had my elementary education in Benin republic. The police, Genderm are professionals to the core. They rarely carry gun but just whistle, but with a blast, omo, you're done if at the wrong side of the law.
Their water is metered, metered 24/7 electricity has been there as far back as 2002.
Lovely and organized country i must confess.

Why is water metered please? Are they importing water? No bore hole or why eggzactly

1 Like

Re: The Underrated Cotonou (benin Republic) by Hotice085: 10:37pm On Mar 05, 2023
Gatess:
THE UNDERRATED COTONOU

Since I was born till date, we Nigerians have always looked down on a lot of neighboring countries like Cameroon, Togo, Benin Republic etc.
Well, you are not to be blamed if you are among those who look down on some of these countries, even when we have not had an opportunity to cross border.

Well I was one of those people who actually looked down on most of these countries until I had an opportunity to sail round west Africa and the narratives changed.

Meanwhile I was completely marvelled the first time I visited Cotonou, the business hub of Benin Republic about 4 years ago when Patrice Talon newly took office
Two years after I re-visited, after touring round other west African countries. I spent 3 days here and without a waste of time, I concluded to relocate down to this place based on the level of development I saw, the security, serenity etc.

Finally I am now living here and I have no regret so far.

I will say this country is blessed with the best president who is working tirelessly to improve the living conditions of his beloved citizens and I am glad hearing citizens saying positive things about the president.

Things You Don't Know About Benin Republic...

*They have currently have one of the best roads/road network in west Africa
* The maintain law and order
* Security is good
* Security personnels are friendly and don't intimidate anyone. If caught intimidating you, he or she will severely be punished
" If you are caught in a robbery attack which involves gun, forget it, u are gun forever.
* Electricity is 247. No low voltage or unecessarily interruptions.
* Steady clean water supply by the government at an affordable rate
* 247 transport system cos of good security
* Night life is topnotch.. in fact their balling na night with street light almost every nook and cranny of the city.
* Amazing beaches with super duper fun.
* Nice Bilingual schools for your kids
*Stress free movement without traffic jam.
* Policemen scattered at every nook and cranny of the town to maintain law and order and not for stop and search.
* Drugs are only bought or sold at a registered pharmacies and not from quacks or roadside vendors
* Foreigners almost have same right with citizen and can't be treated anyhow
*Women are like egg here. Any maltreatment or mistreatment, you will face the law.
*Public school, go to sch by 7:30am and return home for break by 12noon and return back to school by 3pm to dismiss between 6-7pm Monday- Friday
* You can choose to relocate from your rented apartment after a month or two cos of the privilege of monthly payment plan
* Their money now more valuable than naira in black market
*This is the only safe transit route coming from other African countries to Nigeria. Of course you should know how that helps an economy.
*Internet is steady and fast but a bit expensive
*Pepper body no common here like naija
* ETC

Business Opportunities
From My Findings So Far...

*Tailoring is a place to explore especially when you sew English wears and Nigerian attires
* Sales of any kind of electronics which you can bring from Nigeria and Togo cos they are cheaper over there and expensive here.
* Sales of second hand phones and laptops, not forgetting their accessories too. Very lucrative
* Nigerian foods are in high demand especially areas where Nigerians live more. U go sell tire
* Sales of sewing machines(more of manual)and it's accessories are in high demand cos this is their major skill work with hairdressing.
* Phone and laptop repairs needs serious attention here cos most of the engineers are not competent enough
* Sales of motor parts/bike parts. Both are very good biz here too.
* Bilingual schools are still in high demand in some places including teachers.
* Transportation biz- As a naija man, u will do better plying from border to town, if you are a smart. As an okada rider, concentrate around Tokpa, Misebo and Beach, you will be fine too.
Those who are into okirika(2nd clothes, shoes & bags), it's still very profitable till date but you must have a good contact for you not to be cheated.
Etc

Let me drop my pen here for now. I will be sharing some photos of the places I have been to like the beaches etc . So stay tuned as we will be dropping more information to give you a comprehensive info about the country generally.

You leave Nigeria to Benin Republic and you have the nerve to encourage Nigerians to come down and do jobs like Tailor, okada rider and every other local jobs
Don't worry when BENINphobia start una go hear am , instead of to go create job over there you wan go follow them to de hustle

Dem go soon de break una head over there

6 Likes

Re: The Underrated Cotonou (benin Republic) by KangaIye: 10:37pm On Mar 05, 2023
Starboytwo:
How many people are in bene republic again?

If Nigeria was just like eg Ebonyi, small, maybe 5 million people, it will be very easy to govern.

Don’t be comparing 5million people to 250 million people. Over 300 ethnic groups. Over 500 languages. Oboy, incomparable.

Don't go this part, we no reach Indonesia, Brasil, China or Russia in terms of population na, and they are far far better than us.

7 Likes

Re: The Underrated Cotonou (benin Republic) by Rhema03(m): 10:37pm On Mar 05, 2023
How much is theor rentage and do thwy value artworks there??

Gatess:
THE UNDERRATED COTONOU

Since I was born till date, we Nigerians have always looked down on a lot of neighboring countries like Cameroon, Togo, Benin Republic etc.
Well, you are not to be blamed if you are among those who look down on some of these countries, even when we have not had an opportunity to cross border.

Well I was one of those people who actually looked down on most of these countries until I had an opportunity to sail round west Africa and the narratives changed.

Meanwhile I was completely marvelled the first time I visited Cotonou, the business hub of Benin Republic about 4 years ago when Patrice Talon newly took office
Two years after I re-visited, after touring round other west African countries. I spent 3 days here and without a waste of time, I concluded to relocate down to this place based on the level of development I saw, the security, serenity etc.

Finally I am now living here and I have no regret so far.

I will say this country is blessed with the best president who is working tirelessly to improve the living conditions of his beloved citizens and I am glad hearing citizens saying positive things about the president.

Things You Don't Know About Benin Republic...

*They have currently have one of the best roads/road network in west Africa
* The maintain law and order
* Security is good
* Security personnels are friendly and don't intimidate anyone. If caught intimidating you, he or she will severely be punished
" If you are caught in a robbery attack which involves gun, forget it, u are gun forever.
* Electricity is 247. No low voltage or unecessarily interruptions.
* Steady clean water supply by the government at an affordable rate
* 247 transport system cos of good security
* Night life is topnotch.. in fact their balling na night with street light almost every nook and cranny of the city.
* Amazing beaches with super duper fun.
* Nice Bilingual schools for your kids
*Stress free movement without traffic jam.
* Policemen scattered at every nook and cranny of the town to maintain law and order and not for stop and search.
* Drugs are only bought or sold at a registered pharmacies and not from quacks or roadside vendors
* Foreigners almost have same right with citizen and can't be treated anyhow
*Women are like egg here. Any maltreatment or mistreatment, you will face the law.
*Public school, go to sch by 7:30am and return home for break by 12noon and return back to school by 3pm to dismiss between 6-7pm Monday- Friday
* You can choose to relocate from your rented apartment after a month or two cos of the privilege of monthly payment plan
* Their money now more valuable than naira in black market
*This is the only safe transit route coming from other African countries to Nigeria. Of course you should know how that helps an economy.
*Internet is steady and fast but a bit expensive
*Pepper body no common here like naija
* ETC

Business Opportunities
From My Findings So Far...

*Tailoring is a place to explore especially when you sew English wears and Nigerian attires
* Sales of any kind of electronics which you can bring from Nigeria and Togo cos they are cheaper over there and expensive here.
* Sales of second hand phones and laptops, not forgetting their accessories too. Very lucrative
* Nigerian foods are in high demand especially areas where Nigerians live more. U go sell tire
* Sales of sewing machines(more of manual)and it's accessories are in high demand cos this is their major skill work with hairdressing.
* Phone and laptop repairs needs serious attention here cos most of the engineers are not competent enough
* Sales of motor parts/bike parts. Both are very good biz here too.
* Bilingual schools are still in high demand in some places including teachers.
* Transportation biz- As a naija man, u will do better plying from border to town, if you are a smart. As an okada rider, concentrate around Tokpa, Misebo and Beach, you will be fine too.
Those who are into okirika(2nd clothes, shoes & bags), it's still very profitable till date but you must have a good contact for you not to be cheated.
Etc

Let me drop my pen here for now. I will be sharing some photos of the places I have been to like the beaches etc . So stay tuned as we will be dropping more information to give you a comprehensive info about the country generally.
Re: The Underrated Cotonou (benin Republic) by EMPEROROFDONBAS(m): 10:38pm On Mar 05, 2023
Omo see neat environment.. this is sweet... I will love to visit this place

2 Likes

Re: The Underrated Cotonou (benin Republic) by Spiff20(m): 10:38pm On Mar 05, 2023
I'm yet to see pictures of the roads and the highly rated best road networks in West Africa. All is just talk talk and talk. Please anyone who has pictures show us.

And by the way, so what you guys are trying to say is that, this small Benin has better road networks than Abuja and Akwa Ibom? The few pictures I've seen the place looks like Northern Nigeria. But I bet Lagos is finer, I mean look at Ikoyi and VI now.

8 Likes

Re: The Underrated Cotonou (benin Republic) by Meedon: 10:39pm On Mar 05, 2023
techgen:

And your fact hold no water.
Those countries you mention, do they have the number of tribes in Nigeria.

Because your head won't tell you that our major problem is ethnicity!

Ethnicity, bad leadership, over population, lack of unity etcetera.

2 Likes

Re: The Underrated Cotonou (benin Republic) by Ventura1: 10:42pm On Mar 05, 2023
You state the keyword i.e CONTENTMENT
pocohantas:

Or our kinda of immigration. You don’t immigrate to Benin Republic with 200k to own factories when there are 100 mouths waiting you back home to start sending them stipends. That is an overkill. Nigerians have restaurants and supermarkets there, that I am sure of.

It is actually not flowing with milk and honey as presented here. One thing common with citizens of this country is contentment. Even if you go there now, your life would be to eat, have a little savings, take some alcohol when necessary and pursue their women.
Re: The Underrated Cotonou (benin Republic) by oka4ugoo: 10:42pm On Mar 05, 2023
Starboytwo:

If Nigeria was just like eg Ebonyi, small, maybe 5 million people, it will be very easy to govern.

Don’t be comparing 5million people to 250 million people. Over 300 ethnic groups. Over 500 languages. Oboy, incomparable.

Then let's split the fu*king country if that's the only way we can have development and progress for heavensake

1 Like

Re: The Underrated Cotonou (benin Republic) by professore(m): 10:43pm On Mar 05, 2023
Can you imagine
Re: The Underrated Cotonou (benin Republic) by Yomit71(m): 10:44pm On Mar 05, 2023
Starboytwo:

Is population now an excuse for failure?? that should rather be our strength but thank God daddy has come.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Underrated Cotonou (benin Republic) by Meedon: 10:45pm On Mar 05, 2023
[sup][/sup]
Elsueno:

This happens because majority of Nigerians don't actually give a shyt about voting d right people..I believe Nigerians can actually fix this country if they so wish, Imagine the youths all over Nigeria standing up & voting for d most competent candidate of thier choice...Them no born INEC to Temper with anything & magically announce a winner at 3am... When Nigerians get serious, all these old incompetent politicians would be swiftly retired, Until then, it's business as usual 🤷

N.B hats up to d L.P people for showing us a glimpse of power we have as citizens and voters.. History would be very kind to u guys

Don't blame Nigerians. Votes don't count in this country. After the electron, there would be massive rigging.

So why blame the voters. We are just puppies in the hands of politicians. They do us anyhow they like.

2 Likes

Re: The Underrated Cotonou (benin Republic) by Djoecash: 10:45pm On Mar 05, 2023
Thank you for this information.

I will like to relocate to that place , Cotonou. I am a teacher in a private primary school here in Lagos. I need your advice.

1 Like

Re: The Underrated Cotonou (benin Republic) by Horus(m): 10:46pm On Mar 05, 2023

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8sY_9FDP-YY

Tips You Need Before Coming To Benin (Dahomey) | Cost of Living, Cost of Transportation, Culture🌴

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The Underrated Cotonou (benin Republic) by grandstar(m): 10:46pm On Mar 05, 2023
Starboytwo:

The population of Liberia is 5m and the country is a shithole.

The population of Sierra Leone is 8.4m and it's a shithole.

The population of Burundi and its a shithole.

The population of China is 1.4bn people and it has world class infrastructure.

Population size here isn't the issue. Quality of governance is.

16 Likes 2 Shares

Re: The Underrated Cotonou (benin Republic) by Jii95: 10:46pm On Mar 05, 2023
Starboytwo:

13million not 5mil

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The Underrated Cotonou (benin Republic) by Nobody: 10:47pm On Mar 05, 2023
I vowed to leave Nigeria if the drug lord is announced winner of the presidential election and obviously it has com to past. Since my money never reach enter yankee, I'm looking towards an African country hence, seeing the good words and ratings about this country, I just might consider it..

Relocating to these countries aren't my problem really buh the language barrier of them not predominantly speaking English but french is the challenge.

1 Like

Re: The Underrated Cotonou (benin Republic) by Princewill1(m): 10:49pm On Mar 05, 2023
This is one of the reasons I support splitting up of Nigeria into smaller units.

Most smaller African countries have since gotten steady power supply, good road network, security of lives and property etc which are the major prayer points of most Nigerians.

Despite the possibly abundant human and natural resources, huge and populous nations are complex and too difficult to run and black people don't have what it takes to run one efficiently.

When a country is smaller, it becomes more easier to govern.

1 Like

Re: The Underrated Cotonou (benin Republic) by emmybobo1: 10:51pm On Mar 05, 2023
techgen:
The mistake Nigeria made is simply the almagamation of north and south by that yeye Luaguard of a man... If not Niger Delta supposed be small London...Therefore, it's definitely insane to compare a population of 5million to 250million... Overall, Benin republic is doing well!!!
Meaning that Babados is better than Canada. Since Canada is much bigger

4 Likes

Re: The Underrated Cotonou (benin Republic) by Igboboy59(m): 10:51pm On Mar 05, 2023
Countersam:

I grew up in Cotonou and I must confess you have known a whole lot in a short while. Patrice Talon is the President to remember over here.

I am in Cotonou of you want to hook up...
Your contact
Re: The Underrated Cotonou (benin Republic) by segcymoor(m): 10:53pm On Mar 05, 2023
[quote author=Gerrard59 post=121231890]My mom has preached it for donkey years to my siblings and me that Francophone countries in West Africa are better off than Nigeria if one wants to live a simple and safe life. She said those places are safe, clean and life is easy without stress. That if no be marriage and raising children, she would have moved there. After all, she speaks fluent French and was her set's best graduating student in French. Then, I used to argue, of course, with puerlie points.

Last year, I watched some videos showcasing the elite parts of the city, and one feature I noticed was no open gutters. The elite places I have seen in Nigeria with closed gutters aka well pedestrian streets, are some parts of Abuja and gated estates in parts of Lagos, and one gated estate in Port-harcourt. The rest? OPEN GUTTERS! Recently, she advised I build/buy a house in Benin Republic (Cotonou, precisely). But my fear is how safe the country would be should Nigeria [b]descend into a war. [/b]Benin Republic would be overflooded with refugees. Ukraine's situation would be a child's play.[/q
uote]

Descent into war?
What a wish...
Re: The Underrated Cotonou (benin Republic) by Ckonnet: 10:53pm On Mar 05, 2023
Iam ready to sponsor any urchin on a two day visit to cotonou so that they will regain their senses. Life is so easy there that you might be forced to step down your hustle, na run I dey take come back b4 I become comfortable those days sha.

5 Likes

Re: The Underrated Cotonou (benin Republic) by endy69: 10:54pm On Mar 05, 2023
techgen:

And your fact hold no water.
Those countries you mention, do they have the number of tribes in Nigeria.

Because your head won't tell you that our major problem is ethnicity!
So many of you are ill informed and I don't mean it in a bad way. Check tribes in those countries and they will be marvelled

2 Likes

Re: The Underrated Cotonou (benin Republic) by Henryfortune(m): 10:55pm On Mar 05, 2023
The op forget to talk about life expectancy... I was in that country for about a year and everything the op said is true... You feel safe and look forward to the next day... No fear of okada hitting you as they have a special lane and speed limits... Traffic lights at every junction with bumps you no you don't have to run too much except in places within the capital... It's a cool place to live good accomodations if you can afford it and if you can't pay more you can still get small and decent accomodation at decent rate too.. and there girls are friendly to Nigerian especially and there men to forgin ladies 🤣

8 Likes

Re: The Underrated Cotonou (benin Republic) by SirJerrie(m): 10:55pm On Mar 05, 2023
Zaksart:

... Ordinary stability of electricity The Giant of Africa cannot boast of it.

Nothing pain me pass this one
cry cry

3 Likes

Re: The Underrated Cotonou (benin Republic) by ObiDatti85(m): 10:56pm On Mar 05, 2023
Where pictures ?
Re: The Underrated Cotonou (benin Republic) by owolabi5: 10:56pm On Mar 05, 2023
CAR PAPERS
Re: The Underrated Cotonou (benin Republic) by ThiefnubuBandit(f): 11:01pm On Mar 05, 2023
Starboytwo:

What about the United States of America that has states that are bigger than Nigeria and more populated? Or you think they don't have different races as American citizens over there? Stop giving excuses for failure you weak hearted gullible fellow.

2 Likes 2 Shares

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (21) (Reply)

Otedola Bridge, Lagos Tanker Explosion: 'Pictures Cannot Explain What I Saw' / Homeless Nigerian Man In USA, Walks The Street Aimlessly (Photos) / Iran: Reconsider Travelling To Nigeria, US Warns Citizens

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 82
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.