Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,018 members, 7,818,016 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 04:33 AM

Is Abuja A State Govt Or A Distinct Federal Territory? By Farahaidee - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Is Abuja A State Govt Or A Distinct Federal Territory? By Farahaidee (799 Views)

This Is Abuja For The Next 8 Years. Picture. / Shangisa Landlords Responsible For Magodo Take-Over, Not Lagos Govt Or Tinubu / APGA Permanent Headquarters Abuja, A Beauty To Behold. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is Abuja A State Govt Or A Distinct Federal Territory? By Farahaidee by FarahAideed: 12:39am On Mar 01, 2023
There has been so much narrative and counter narrative trying interpret what the electoral act meant when it said a candidate must get 25 percent of of 24 states and the FCT in order to be eligible to be declared winner of the Presidential election.. Different lawyers have been called upon to translate the phraseology and interpret the it as regards the intent of the writer ..seasoned SANs like Femi Falana have interpreted it to mean FCT is part of the 24 states required but others seasoned SANs seem to think we need the supreme court to interpret..This would be good but we know the Nigerian Supreme are not infallible as records would show ..

Well my name is Farah and I have a gift of being able to look through data no matter how presented and sift out the substance and fact...please note I am not a Lawyer but I would attempt to interpret this to the best of my abilities ..Let's start below

The Clause:

He/she must secure not less than 25% of votes cast in at least two-thirds of all the States of the federation and FCT
He/she must secure not less than 25% of votes cast in at least two-thirds of all the States of the federation and FCT

My Interpretation:

First we have to define what 2/3 of states of the federation mean ... Nigeria has 36 States and a distinct Federal capital territory which is not a state as it lacks any accompaniments that define the constitutional Nigerian state which are :
1.A State must have a State govt
2. The state will have its own distinct legislature ( House of Assembly)
3 . The state will have its own Judiciary
4 . The state will have a Local Govt system in place ( LGA)

Going by any of these constitutional definition it's clear the FCT is not at all considered a State by our constitution as it does not have a

A .State govt system in place

B .Does not have a State Legislature in Place

C . Does not have a State Judiciary in place

D ..Does not have Local Govt ( LGA) system in place

E .does not have an elected head of state govt .

Going by these parameter it's clear the the conjurers of that clause saw the FCT as a distinct and separate entity from the 36 Nigerian states and as such wanted the 25% require to be met in a distinct or stand alone manner when it came to the FCT ..

So my interpretation is simple :
To be declared winner of a Nigerian Presidential election a candidate must get 25 percent of 2/3 of the constitutionally recognized states and an extra distinct 25% in the Federal Capital Territory Known as ABUJA .

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is Abuja A State Govt Or A Distinct Federal Territory? By Farahaidee by socialmediaman: 12:42am On Mar 01, 2023
Re: Is Abuja A State Govt Or A Distinct Federal Territory? By Farahaidee by Nobody: 12:46am On Mar 01, 2023
Seems these ones know more than INEC!

Even Atiku and Peter are already planning to call Asiwaju, and some people are still here debating about requirements!

Defeat really taking a high toll on people’s minds

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Is Abuja A State Govt Or A Distinct Federal Territory? By Farahaidee by Moblux(m): 12:46am On Mar 01, 2023
FarahAideed:
There has been so much narrative and counter narrative trying interpret what the electoral act meant when it said a candidate must get 25 percent of if 24 states and the FCT in order to be eligible to be declared winner of the Presidential election.. Different lawyers have been called upon to translate the phraseology and interpret the it as regards the intent of the writer ..seasoned SANs like Femi Falana have interpreted it to mean FCT is part of the 24 states required but others seasoned SANs seem to think we need the supreme court to interpret..This would be good but we know the Nigerian Supreme are not infallible as records would show ..

Well my name is Farah and I have a gift of being able to look through data no matter how presented and sift out the substance and fact...please note I am not a Lawyer but I would attempt to interpret this to the best of my abilities ..Let's start below

The Clause:

My Interpretation:

First we have to define what 2/3 of states of the federation mean ... Nigeria has 36 States and a distinct Federal capital territory which is not a state as it lacks any accompaniments that define the constitutional Nigerian state which are :

Going by any of these constitutional definition it's clear the FCT is not at all considered a State by our constitution as it does not have a

Going by these parameter it's clear the the conjurers of that clause saw the FCT as a distinct and separate entity from the 36 Nigerian states and as such wanted the 25% require to be met in a distinct or stand alone manner when it came to the FCT ..

To be declared winner of a Nigerian Presidential election a candidate must get 25 percent of 2/3 of the constitutionally recognized states and an extra distinct 25% in the Federal Capital Territory Known as ABUJA .

This scenario was envisaged by Atedo Peterside about 3 months ago. He wrote letter to INEC and supreme Court ( I think) for the interpretation but there was no reply as at the time he was interviewed by Seun Okinbaloye of Channels TV. It is a banana 🍌 peel

2 Likes

Re: Is Abuja A State Govt Or A Distinct Federal Territory? By Farahaidee by Godwin4444: 12:52am On Mar 01, 2023
FarahAideed:
There has been so much narrative and counter narrative trying interpret what the electoral act meant when it said a candidate must get 25 percent of of 24 states and the FCT in order to be eligible to be declared winner of the Presidential election.. Different lawyers have been called upon to translate the phraseology and interpret the it as regards the intent of the writer ..seasoned SANs like Femi Falana have interpreted it to mean FCT is part of the 24 states required but others seasoned SANs seem to think we need the supreme court to interpret..This would be good but we know the Nigerian Supreme are not infallible as records would show ..

The Clause:

My Interpretation:

read d last 3 lines

Those who wrote it know better than u

1 Like

Re: Is Abuja A State Govt Or A Distinct Federal Territory? By Farahaidee by FarahAideed: 12:56am On Mar 01, 2023
Godwin4444:
read d last 3 lines

Totally wrong interpretation ..If it had the status of a State it would have similarities in constitutional look and feel to any of the 36 states and the electoral act would have no need to stand it out as a distinct parameter ( 2/3 of states and the FCT)

2 Likes

Re: Is Abuja A State Govt Or A Distinct Federal Territory? By Farahaidee by Godwin4444: 12:58am On Mar 01, 2023
FarahAideed:

Totally wrong interpretation ..If it had the status of a State it would have similarities in constitutional look and feel to any of the 36 states and the electoral act would have no need to stand it out as a distinct parameter ( 2/3 of states and the FCT)
I guess u know better than falana?
Re: Is Abuja A State Govt Or A Distinct Federal Territory? By Farahaidee by MuchAdo: 12:59am On Mar 01, 2023
Godwin4444:

Piiggiidiots are just grasping to straws. Bunch of losers! cheesy
Re: Is Abuja A State Govt Or A Distinct Federal Territory? By Farahaidee by MarketForces: 1:12am On Mar 01, 2023
A Nollywood actor with Andrew Liver Salt party just lock FCT put key for him pocket. See as all of una dey do debates because of this structureless party man. Peter Obi you do this one.

2 Likes

Re: Is Abuja A State Govt Or A Distinct Federal Territory? By Farahaidee by Faber(m): 1:21am On Mar 01, 2023
MarketForces:
A Nollywood actor with Andrew Liver Salt party just lock FCT put key for him pocket. See as all of una dey do debates because of this structureless party man. Peter Obi you do this one.

Nigerians will never forget Obi in a hurry. They said he is a Nollywood actor them come forget that Zelensky of Ukraine is an movie actor but is President of Ukraine and giving it to Russia woto woto.

Obi locked FCT and Lagos...former Capital Territory and present Capital Territory.

1 Like

Re: Is Abuja A State Govt Or A Distinct Federal Territory? By Farahaidee by Buccalcavity2: 1:22am On Mar 01, 2023
So only Abuja can determine who governs Nigeria? Farah why?You fall hand

1 Like

Re: Is Abuja A State Govt Or A Distinct Federal Territory? By Farahaidee by KanwuliaExtra: 1:22am On Mar 01, 2023
Google is your friend. cheesy
Re: Is Abuja A State Govt Or A Distinct Federal Territory? By Farahaidee by Sunnick(m): 1:23am On Mar 01, 2023
Godwin4444:
read d last 3 lines

Since FCT has the status of a state. It should have just been 2/3 of the states ( which include FCT here). But because FCT is compulsory it said 2/3 of the states and FCT (despite FCT having the status of a state)
Re: Is Abuja A State Govt Or A Distinct Federal Territory? By Farahaidee by Sunnick(m): 1:23am On Mar 01, 2023
Buccalcavity2:
So only Abuja can determine who governs Nigeria? Farah why?You fall hand

You don't need to win abuja. You only need 25%
Re: Is Abuja A State Govt Or A Distinct Federal Territory? By Farahaidee by Buccalcavity2: 1:26am On Mar 01, 2023
Sunnick:

You don't need to win abuja. You only need 25%
Yes. So Abuja people can decide that even if the 36 states want a president, they can stop it?Because they are the chosen ones? You too reason am.
Re: Is Abuja A State Govt Or A Distinct Federal Territory? By Farahaidee by Sunnick(m): 2:07am On Mar 01, 2023
Buccalcavity2:

Yes. So Abuja people can decide that even if the 36 states want a president, they can stop it?Because they are the chosen ones? You too reason am.

Yes e not make sense now. But that's what the law say. If only the guys that drafted it were alive we for ask them why it was so important at their era.

Well their is room for amendment but this election don fall for that trap.
Re: Is Abuja A State Govt Or A Distinct Federal Territory? By Farahaidee by OmoFiditi: 2:16am On Mar 01, 2023
Urchins are majorly unlettered agberoes, that's why they are finding the English hard.

If you say Monsuru must eat the remaining beans AND Agbado as a law before shitting inside the Nylon bag and flinging it out of your house in Saki. If Monsuru decides to eats only beans and allow the Agbado 🌽 to rot, has he met the requirements laid down by you in your house? Can you argue that beans and agbado 🌽 are the same? grin

I need to break it down for these hungry urchins, because they too like food and nylon shiiit plenty. grin

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Is Abuja A State Govt Or A Distinct Federal Territory? By Farahaidee by GuyWise101(m): 3:31am On Mar 01, 2023
OmoFiditi:
Urchins are majorly unlettered agberoes, that's why they are finding English tje hard.

If you say Monsuru must eat the remaining beans AND Agbado as a law before shitting inside the Nylon bag and flinging it out of your house in Saki. If Monsuru decides to eats only beans and allow the Agbado 🌽 to rot, has he met the requirements laid down by you in your house? Can you argue that beans and agbado 🌽 are the same? grin

I need to break it down for these hungry urchins, because they too like food and nylon shiiit plenty. grin

Nna mehnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn

grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Is Abuja A State Govt Or A Distinct Federal Territory? By Farahaidee by OmoFiditi: 3:34am On Mar 01, 2023
GuyWise101:

Nna mehnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn

grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

grin grin
Re: Is Abuja A State Govt Or A Distinct Federal Territory? By Farahaidee by HIGHESTPOPORI(m): 4:02am On Mar 01, 2023
Godwin4444:
Falana said you must not win Abuja but you must have 25%
Re: Is Abuja A State Govt Or A Distinct Federal Territory? By Farahaidee by Buccalcavity2: 6:16am On Mar 01, 2023
Sunnick:

Yes e not make sense now. But that's what the law say. If only the guys that drafted it were alive we for ask them why it was so important at their era.

Well their is room for amendment but this election don fall for that trap.
Hiq far now?

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Operation Impeach Soludo / I Prefer Hushpuppi To Peter Obi / If Nnamdi Kanu Had Form A Political Party

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 60
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.