Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,743 members, 7,820,556 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 05:08 PM

Fake American Accents On Nigerian Radio & Tv! - Music/Radio (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Music/Radio / Fake American Accents On Nigerian Radio & Tv! (21813 Views)

Why Do OAPs Have British/american Accents? / Niggas Lie Alot! Why Do Nigerian Artistes Lie in Their Songs & Fake Accents / List Of Nigerian Radio Stations That Are Online (stream) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Fake American Accents On Nigerian Radio & Tv! by shadrach77: 2:32pm On Sep 14, 2011
I watched a 9ja film recently featuring Modupe-Oluwa Oyeyemi aka Mo Cheddah speaking very fake American accent. It was really irritating !!! shocked cry cry cry
Re: Fake American Accents On Nigerian Radio & Tv! by SisiKill1: 2:33pm On Sep 14, 2011
Lmao!!! This is why Gbemi from Beat Fm is one of my favorite, the girl keeps it real with her Naija accent unlike that Oreka who sounds as if she's missing her tongue. angry
Re: Fake American Accents On Nigerian Radio & Tv! by MMM2(m): 2:33pm On Sep 14, 2011
yankee wana be angry
Re: Fake American Accents On Nigerian Radio & Tv! by Ironi: 2:35pm On Sep 14, 2011
Ifecotag:

@blacksta

You said it all. I don't know why some people can't be themselves.

When last did we hear an American trying to imitate Nigerian accent to belong. The last time I checked, Nigeria has one of the best accent in the world.

Some have not even traveled beyond Ghana as Princek12 pointed out. Why can't some of our people appreciate what they have?

Na who said Nigeria has the best accent in the world? Whoever said so may be drunk.
Re: Fake American Accents On Nigerian Radio & Tv! by blacksta(m): 2:38pm On Sep 14, 2011
Ironi:

Na who said Nigeria has the best accent in the world? Whoever said so may be drunk.

I agree - Nigerian accent when used to speak English is clear and can easily be understood by non nigerians unlike the Ghanian accent with its twist and turn
Re: Fake American Accents On Nigerian Radio & Tv! by justin04(m): 2:39pm On Sep 14, 2011
Very irritating, I hear it too a lot and I cringe because most of them don't even come close to it.
Re: Fake American Accents On Nigerian Radio & Tv! by Nobody: 2:41pm On Sep 14, 2011
There's this presenter on AIT , he does the morning show with another lady , who also likes to form this fake accent , and he's soooo annoying.
Re: Fake American Accents On Nigerian Radio & Tv! by Ifecotag: 2:44pm On Sep 14, 2011
@Ironi

CNN conducted a survey. Naija came 5th best/romantic accent in the world. Apart from that, I have come across different nationalities when I was in school outside Naija and they commended our accent plenty of times.

I see no reason why we should try to imitate others. We have to curtail the massive inferiority complexes swinging around in our society.

Kudos to the OP for that observation and for sharing your thoughts.
Re: Fake American Accents On Nigerian Radio & Tv! by Ironi: 2:46pm On Sep 14, 2011
I don't think so!

Nigerian English is heavily accented with Nigerian Piggin english which makes it impossible to sometimes understand unless you are familiar with Nigerian piggin. I don't think it's clearer than Ghanaian English.
Re: Fake American Accents On Nigerian Radio & Tv! by doctokwus: 2:52pm On Sep 14, 2011
What do u expect wen d country itself is fake
Re: Fake American Accents On Nigerian Radio & Tv! by pinkrex(m): 2:52pm On Sep 14, 2011
Ifecotag:

@Ironi

CNN conducted a survey. Naija came 5th best/romantic accent in the world. Apart from that, I have come across different nationalities when I was in school outside Naija and they commended our accent plenty of times.

I see no reason why we should try to imitate others.  We have to curtail the massive inferiority complexes swinging around in our society.

Is it really 5th or 6st?? undecided
Re: Fake American Accents On Nigerian Radio & Tv! by Nosyke(m): 2:54pm On Sep 14, 2011
If you guys thing you hear fake american accent, wait till you listen to Hotfm 98.3 Abuja.It seems that it's a prerequisite to becoming their staff.
Sooooooo Annoying, Ciana, Solid C, all of them  sad sad

doctokwus:

What do u expect wen d country itself is fake
grin grin grin grin
Re: Fake American Accents On Nigerian Radio & Tv! by otiigba1(m): 2:56pm On Sep 14, 2011
there is no accent like our naija accent why cant these people stick to our own accent, even some people wey dey live in oyinbo man country still talk with  our naija accent, why? a fake american accent? its appaulingly embarassing!!!
Re: Fake American Accents On Nigerian Radio & Tv! by Nosyke(m): 2:58pm On Sep 14, 2011
oti-igba:

there is no accent like our naija accent why cant these people stick to our own accent, even some people wey dey live in oyinbo man country still talk with our naija accent, why? a fake american accent? its appaulingly embarassing!!!

shocked shocked shocked shocked grin grin grin grin
Re: Fake American Accents On Nigerian Radio & Tv! by Ironi: 3:04pm On Sep 14, 2011
Ifecotag:

@Ironi

I see no reason why we should try to imitate others. We have to curtail the massive inferiority complexes swinging around in our society.

What survey was that? What criteria was used to determine the best accent? Any body in CNN can put anything out there for the fun of it.
It doesn't mean a squat so don't let it go into your head.
Re: Fake American Accents On Nigerian Radio & Tv! by Princek12(m): 3:10pm On Sep 14, 2011
Ultrame:

^^^^^^
Walahi u no well.

walahi talahi
Re: Fake American Accents On Nigerian Radio & Tv! by Princek12(m): 3:11pm On Sep 14, 2011
Pukkah:

They should concentrate on good grammar instead of forcing or straining themselves to sound like Americans.

GBAM!
Re: Fake American Accents On Nigerian Radio & Tv! by TheSly: 3:12pm On Sep 14, 2011
Only an heediote would care with the way some people choose to speak. .
Hell. . . why dont u just turn off the radio and move on?
American Accent? Whats your own? are they using your mouth?

Naija came 5th best/romantic accent in the world
Expecially when they say ThARTEEN instead of Thirteen? . . .Gooduuu instead of good?. . horrible accent.
Re: Fake American Accents On Nigerian Radio & Tv! by Ifecotag: 3:15pm On Sep 14, 2011
@Ironi

Some Nigerians that are heavily indebted to the pidgin English can be something else. But, an average educated Nigerian that knows himself/herself can speak clearer concise English. I used to live with an American priest back in Moscow and came across different nationalities. Some even envy our accent and thought we were British.

Have you ever heard a Nigerian born and bred diplomat speak on an international network? You go bow, even the interviewer or reporters are surprised.

You will tell me if the likes of Wole soyinka, Chinua Achebe, Lamido Sanusi and plenty of them have finished using their Nigerian accent , let alone to imitate Americans.

@pinkrex

At least we are not at the bottom of the list, for us to fake American accent. lol
Re: Fake American Accents On Nigerian Radio & Tv! by Outstrip(f): 3:15pm On Sep 14, 2011
My senegalese friend has NTA and I was watching it at her house the other day. The woman accent went from British to American and at a point she even sounded indian. I tire
Re: Fake American Accents On Nigerian Radio & Tv! by okadaman2: 3:18pm On Sep 14, 2011
When last did we hear an American trying to imitate Nigerian accent to belong.

They only do that when they want to Mock us  grin
Re: Fake American Accents On Nigerian Radio & Tv! by soulamanne(m): 3:21pm On Sep 14, 2011
i dont knw abt tv but on radio, rhythm and esp beat99.9 are the most annnoyin.manny atleast mixes his own wit pidgin and funny yorubas on cool fm
Re: Fake American Accents On Nigerian Radio & Tv! by Ifecotag: 3:29pm On Sep 14, 2011
@ Okada Man

It seems you know them very well. But at least we know how to use words. You know some Americans are always trying to look best. That is why they changed spellings of the English language to sound and write different. It started with their founding fathers after they defeated the British.

Color instead of Colour.
Realize instead of Realise
And so on.
Re: Fake American Accents On Nigerian Radio & Tv! by okadaman2: 3:31pm On Sep 14, 2011
Their is nothing wrong with saying tharteeen or pronouncing things with the inflection and accent of your grandmother. Embrace your own uniqueness.  grin

British  = water
American = wa[b]d[/b]er

Nigeria = warthaa

All get meaning. Embrace your own, it's not by force to conform.
Re: Fake American Accents On Nigerian Radio & Tv! by buzcenter: 3:32pm On Sep 14, 2011
lolz
Re: Fake American Accents On Nigerian Radio & Tv! by Wallie(m): 3:33pm On Sep 14, 2011
The problem is that they’re trying too hard! Also, how can they be speaking with an American accent when Americans don’t even understand what they’re saying? Like someone said earlier, they should concentrate on grammar. If they want to speak with an accent, they should let it come naturally without trying too hard while maintaining clarity.

This is the same reason that I can’t stand most Nigerian musicians that only sing in English. They sound like they’re singing through their nose! Asa is about the only straight-English (no pidgin) singer that I can stand; although, I’ve not heard Banky W.
Re: Fake American Accents On Nigerian Radio & Tv! by Nobody: 3:37pm On Sep 14, 2011
Outstrip:

My senegalese friend has NTA and I was watching it at her house the other day. The woman accent went from British to American and at a point she even sounded indian. I tire
Do you know her name?
Re: Fake American Accents On Nigerian Radio & Tv! by coolbunny(m): 3:38pm On Sep 14, 2011
I missed those good old days when radio and tv presenters spoke clean and clear English. Imagin,in the mist of this 'smiling and suffering' situation in this Mother F nation everyone esp Lagosians is 'trynna' sorry I mean, trying to speak fake uncooked foreign accent,even when they have not been thru immigration at the airport.
Re: Fake American Accents On Nigerian Radio & Tv! by Ifecotag: 3:41pm On Sep 14, 2011
Tomorrow when(no bi if) China become super power, those our presenters will start to imitate them. lol
Re: Fake American Accents On Nigerian Radio & Tv! by okadaman2: 3:43pm On Sep 14, 2011
Ironi:

I don't think so!

Nigerian English is heavily accented with Nigerian Piggin english which makes it impossible to sometimes understand unless you are familiar with Nigerian piggin. I don't think it's clearer than Ghanaian English.

And so?

It is almost impossible for me to understand an American speaking American English, or a french person speaking English. Some Americans have to repeat themselves twice before I get what they are saying  grin

I "carried" an Italian expatriate trying to escape Lagos traffic on my Okada the other day, we almost missed the way to his office because I could not understand his Italo English. Don't know if he was saying "stop" or "turn" na luck we take find the place  undecided

Abeg give me correct Nigerian accent or pidgin anyday jor.
Re: Fake American Accents On Nigerian Radio & Tv! by armyofone(m): 3:44pm On Sep 14, 2011
xcuse me, my name is Walter, are you calling me?
which is wader again na prison warder??
grin grin

okada_man:

Their is nothing wrong with saying tharteeen or pronouncing things with the inflection and accent of your grandmother. Embrace your own uniqueness.  grin

British  = water
American = wa[b]d[/b]er

Nigeria = warthaa

All get meaning. Embrace your own, it's not by force to conform.
Re: Fake American Accents On Nigerian Radio & Tv! by mithel(m): 3:46pm On Sep 14, 2011
soulamanne:

i dont knw abt tv but on radio, rhythm and esp beat99.9 are the most annnoyin.manny atleast mixes his own wit pidgin and funny yorubas on cool fm

GBAM!!!

Infact,i can manage Rhythm but the worst ,infact permit me to use a word from my personal dictionary,the "WORSTEST" offender in LAGOS na BEAT99 FM,gosh,all their presenters,male o,female o,transgendered o,na so so forming to the extent that they cant even pronounce their listener's names.

Shinedu - Chinedu even from a igbo person.

Even toolz,a yoruba gal can hardly pronounce a yoruba word. *sigh*

Coolfm too have some minor offenders in the likes of YOP n kaylah at times,but at least freeze,dotun, n co come n change things later.

It all cmes down to people not being proud of their identity jare.ut at least freeze,dotun, n co come n change things later.

It all cmes down to people not being proud of their identity jare.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Nigerians And Their Irregular Tastes For Music. / Flavour - Chinny Baby [OFFICIAL VIDEO] / Download Chris Brown-home

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.