Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,631 members, 7,820,223 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 11:44 AM

Fake American Accents On Nigerian Radio & Tv! - Music/Radio (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Music/Radio / Fake American Accents On Nigerian Radio & Tv! (21811 Views)

Why Do OAPs Have British/american Accents? / Niggas Lie Alot! Why Do Nigerian Artistes Lie in Their Songs & Fake Accents / List Of Nigerian Radio Stations That Are Online (stream) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Fake American Accents On Nigerian Radio & Tv! by ezeagu(m): 6:27pm On Sep 14, 2011
The fact that we can tell the persons accent is fake usually means the persons accent sound unattractive and unnatural. If you're not an American, don't force it. It's embarrassing.
Re: Fake American Accents On Nigerian Radio & Tv! by BABE3: 6:32pm On Sep 14, 2011
LOL-- Hilarious thread!

Everyone should calm down jo  angry grin----Kini big deal? I don't have problem with people faking accents. As long as you sound normal, and people can hear you clearly.
I have a problem with people trying way too hard ("to be cool"wink, and at the end of the day, end up sounding Ridiculous! In fact, I don't have a problem with them, rather, they make me laugh.

Random thought: how come in Nollywood movies, when Jim Iyke comes back to Nigeria from England(after living there all his life), he ends up getting an American accent? ? ?  

Re: Fake American Accents On Nigerian Radio & Tv! by coogar: 6:35pm On Sep 14, 2011
BABE!:

Random thought: how come in Nollywood movies, when Jim Iyke comes back to Nigeria from England(after living there all his life), he ends up getting an American accent? ? ?  

his neighbours in england are all americans! wink

ezeagu:

The fact that we can tell the persons accent is fake usually means the persons accent sound unattractive and unnatural. If you're not an American, don't force it. It's embarrassing.

nigeria's first lady might arrest you for saying this.
Re: Fake American Accents On Nigerian Radio & Tv! by BABE3: 6:38pm On Sep 14, 2011
coogar:

his neighbours in england are all americans! wink

Wow! Interesting. I thought as much.
Re: Fake American Accents On Nigerian Radio & Tv! by coogar: 6:39pm On Sep 14, 2011
Anvaller:

If you would observe, a Nigerian who is being interviewed on eg CNN or BBC speaking the typical Nigerian accent would have his comments re subtitled in English (most especially in special documentaries) because they think the quality of his accent is not clear enough to be understood by all English listeners around the world. Whereas, another Nigerian whose spoken English is may be not completely American or British but that has a relative influence of any of those accents on the way he speaks would not be re-subtitled because it is assumed that his spoken english is clear enough to be understood by all english listeners across the globe.

excellent points!
Re: Fake American Accents On Nigerian Radio & Tv! by babeface3: 6:41pm On Sep 14, 2011
I am a nigerian and have only been to south africa where i spent just three months on a course. It took several "fake imitations" to improve my accent to avoid repeating myself in the midst of the expatriates i work with. These men are not even british and americans, they are germans, swedish, french and even indians. You borrowed the language and you want to continue speaking with your own accent. LMAO grin
Re: Fake American Accents On Nigerian Radio & Tv! by Anvaller: 6:44pm On Sep 14, 2011
Babe, this is what I want to make clear. It is wrong to say someone is faking accent. When u are trying to speak in an accent, u have only two options. U either know how to speak in such accent or not. If someone can speak in a given accent very well then he is not faking it, he is speaking it. If u are not able to speak in the accent u are trying to claim very well and thereby speaking rubbish instead, u are not faking it, rather u dont know how to speak it.

What you can tell me is that someone is faking being American/British (whereas he is not) because he is able to speak in American/British accent. I can understand that. But faking accent its a common expression in Naija but its counter-logic.

BABE!:

LOL-- Hilarious thread!

Everyone should calm down jo  angry grin----Kini big deal? I don't have problem with people faking accents. As long as you sound normal, and people can hear you clearly.
I have a problem with people trying way too hard ("to be cool"wink, and at the end of the day, end up sounding Ridiculous! In fact, I don't have a problem with them, rather, they make me laugh.

Re: Fake American Accents On Nigerian Radio & Tv! by shfizle(m): 6:55pm On Sep 14, 2011
I Guess it's become a sin to be careful with one's diction now. The so called presenters with fake accents probably got the job because somebody realized that they pronounced the ENGLISH words exactly the right way and they would not be associated with any tribe, which is necessary for someone who wants to appeal to the amazingly multi-ethnic Nigerian population. Some of you suddenly decided they were forming American accent, How many of you can actually distinguish an American accent from an Australian or South African or British accent anyway?
I say this because i have fallen into that category of "forming" before. Why? I was brought up academically by Ghanaians who emphasize much on careful diction (even though i don't like to admit to Ghanaians), and over the years i've grown so comfortable with it i talk fast. Add those two together and someone comes once in a while saying you're forming "Yankee", Lesser, insecure minds i would say anyway.
Re: Fake American Accents On Nigerian Radio & Tv! by beespak7(m): 7:00pm On Sep 14, 2011
lwkmd Nna mehn inferiority complex no go kill some nigerians with their fake american  accent haba!  Check  out the video  and the white american reping naija accent confirmed. !!! and the nigerian guy forming fake american accent  LOL  grin grin grin grin grin

[flash=425,344]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ggWMWgRkK_4[/flash]
Re: Fake American Accents On Nigerian Radio & Tv! by amblors(m): 7:10pm On Sep 14, 2011
lmao,
oh! Colorado guy that grew up in Jos
Re: Fake American Accents On Nigerian Radio & Tv! by aribisala0(m): 7:11pm On Sep 14, 2011
Kellymann:

You hit the nail on the head! A greater percentage of everyone here at one time or the other have been guilty of this 'crime', so let no one be claiming 'holy pass' here. The issue is since English is our official language, some people strive hard to speak it like the English man does and in the process end up overdoing it.

If u want to speak English like the Englishman, which is actually the standard spoken English, if u dont know how the Englishman pronounces some words, use your own tongue to pronounce it how best you can instead of allowing affectation to start making u sound like an  even to yourself. Our local accent cant be that bad. Other African countries have their own accented way of speaking English too, the South Africans for example speak English with a very heavy accent and they are cool with it.

Make we no kill ourselves over one yeye accent jawe!

there is no such thing as standard spoken english .
if you live in america,canada or the UK you are likely to mimic the accent local to where you live especially if you have little contact with nigerians it is a speech variant of the phenomenon known as  ECHOPRAXIA but is mild and quite different from accent faking and does not involve the adoption of outrageous  lower class slang.
probably motivated by a desire to sound intelligible to local listeners. however there is a clear nigerian accent which is internationally intelligible and was used by some older newsreaders on NTA like cyril  stober or wole soyinka who speaks with a clearly nigerian accent.
Re: Fake American Accents On Nigerian Radio & Tv! by babeface3: 7:15pm On Sep 14, 2011
I have equally got such attacks severally and I am so proud of this "faking" which has perfected me to almost a native speaker. I now converse freely with my foreign colleagues.
Re: Fake American Accents On Nigerian Radio & Tv! by Ifecotag: 7:16pm On Sep 14, 2011
@beespak7

Hahahaha, funny video. I no fit shout. The white guy soji wella.

As for our naija broda faking American accent, him dey try sha. I like when he said, dats some damnshit mehnnnnnnn!! LOL but he would have flowed with the white "dude" in pidgin through out na.
Re: Fake American Accents On Nigerian Radio & Tv! by BABE3: 7:25pm On Sep 14, 2011
Anvaller:

Babe, this is what I want to make clear. It is wrong to say someone is faking accent. When u are trying to speak in an accent, u have only two options. U either know how to speak in such accent or not. If someone can speak in a given accent very well then he is not faking it, he is speaking it. If u are not able to speak in the accent u are trying to claim very well and thereby speaking rubbish instead, u are not faking it, rather u dont know how to speak it.

What you can tell me is that someone is faking being American/British (whereas he is not) because he is able to speak in American/British accent. I can understand that. But faking accent its a common expression in Naija but its counter-logic.

lol--- See how you "attacked" me like we've had a discussion/argument prior this thread.

Well, there is something like faking an accent. If an accent is not yours (if it's not innate), you talking in it (either wrongly or rightly) means you're faking it. You can fake it convincingly-- it's still faking.

Plus, the phrase "faking an accent" is not a Nigerian thing; it's a common expression everywhere.

Re: Fake American Accents On Nigerian Radio & Tv! by amblors(m): 7:32pm On Sep 14, 2011
^^^ you imply that anything LEARNED is faked?
Re: Fake American Accents On Nigerian Radio & Tv! by fyomer: 7:34pm On Sep 14, 2011
otumfour (m)GHANA« #17 on: Today at 02:08:10 PM »:

and they say Ghanaian's be faking they accent Huh, U these "SHON SHON" people, SMH! Nigerians sef.
Ghanaians do not fake their accent,the problem with their english is the  twi, fante and other local tongue buried in their english.
Re: Fake American Accents On Nigerian Radio & Tv! by fyomer: 7:35pm On Sep 14, 2011
otumfour (m)GHANA« #17 on: Today at 02:08:10 PM »:

and they say Ghanaian's be faking they accent Huh, U these "SHON SHON" people, SMH! Nigerians sef.

Ghanaians do not fake their accent,the problem with their english is the  twi, fante and other local tongue buried in their english
Re: Fake American Accents On Nigerian Radio & Tv! by deekay29(m): 7:38pm On Sep 14, 2011
@ OP
I understand your pain, i turn off the radio anytime i visit Naija and hear these heifers trying to imitate Americans, and i always say even with all them forming, they will be humbled when they open their mouths to speak that thing they call American Accent and the first question they get is where arew you from  grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

Me, i wont say i haven't tried to form o, but i do it with only Yankee peeps, hence dey keep doing that annoying "Huh" when i use my naija accent. But with my naija peeps i hate the forming, and chicks wey dey here wey i don toast or dey toast will tell you that the first thing i say is please, enuf of the accent thing lets flow like Nigerians, if we end up together will we form for each other till we die? might as well be real
Re: Fake American Accents On Nigerian Radio & Tv! by amblors(m): 7:44pm On Sep 14, 2011
deekay29:

@ OP
I understand your pain, i turn off the radio anytime i visit Naija and hear these heifers trying to imitate Americans, and i always say even with all them forming, they will be humbled when they open their mouths to speak that thing they call American Accent and the first question they get is where arew you from  grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

Me, i wont say i haven't tried to form o, but i do it with only Yankee peeps, hence dey keep doing that annoying "Huh" when i use my naija accent. But with my naija peeps i hate the forming, and chicks wey dey here wey i don toast or dey toast will tell you that the first thing i say is please, enuf of the accent thing lets flow like Nigerians, if we end up together will we form for each other till we die? might as well be real
lol
Re: Fake American Accents On Nigerian Radio & Tv! by BABE3: 7:52pm On Sep 14, 2011
amblors:

^^^ you imply that anything LEARNED is faked?

Nope. Using the word "innate" doesn't necessarily mean I came from heaven with my Nigerian accent. I kinda had to learn it too; however, THAT IS MY ACCENT.

My vocabulary is kinda jacked up, so pardon me. grin
Re: Fake American Accents On Nigerian Radio & Tv! by mrmayor(m): 8:01pm On Sep 14, 2011
My nieces says things like Duh, Sheeesh and plenty other words with annoying Hannah Montana accent, that's where Miss Montana comes from
Re: Fake American Accents On Nigerian Radio & Tv! by Nobody: 8:07pm On Sep 14, 2011
Re: Fake American Accents On Nigerian Radio & Tv! by Anvaller: 8:08pm On Sep 14, 2011
aribisala0:

there is no such thing as standard spoken english .
if you live in america,canada or the UK you are likely to mimic the accent local to where you live especially if you have little contact with nigerians it is a speech variant of the phenomenon known as  ECHOPRAXIA but is mild and quite different from accent faking and does not involve the adoption of outrageous  lower class slang.
probably motivated by a desire to sound intelligible to local listeners. however there is a clear nigerian accent which is internationally intelligible and was used by some older newsreaders on NTA like cyril  stober or wole soyinka who speaks with a clearly nigerian accent.

Ur argument is intelligent, [b]I agree with ur point but I wish to state this. We can not completely wave off standards in English by saying there is no standard because mode of speaking (accents) varies from UK-Canada-America. I believe that u must be aware that even though your point is right, there are still effective means of measuring standards in English. There has been many situation whereby in international situations, many applicants would be asked to do English tests except if they are native English speakers. In this cases, they would list applicants from America, Britain English-speaking-Canada and Australia as exempt. [/b]Therefore, the standard to measuring one's spoken English is when it is compared with how it is spoken by the known native speakers.

On Cyril Stober, dont u think we should ask ourself that why is his own type pf Nigerian accent could be intelligible internationally?  It is because Nigerians like him have mastered not only the grammar in English but the oral principles of it. So u wont hear ppl like that misplacing stresses on syllables. So in all, if u listen to him and compare it with common Nigerian accents here and there, we can not still agree that Cyril's accent is typical Nigerian accent. For Wole Shoyinka, I dont even agree that the guy speaks the typical Nigerian accent, at all. I advise u to listen o that guy again, there is a large influence of american accent in his spoken English even though he doesnt speak in the American accent. Language is an art, we need to understand the art in languages before we begin to pass judgement on the language and or the speaker. The truth is that our accent does not respect the principles of diction. It could sound beautiful that is true but it doesnt mean that it is easily understandable. Let me tell u, I also like to hear spanish and Italian speak English, they sound very cool and rythmical but it doesnt mean that they speak good accent because sometimes u really need to ask and ask again b4 u actually understand the word he or she is trying to pronounce.  

Therefore, I am not arguing here that Nigerian accent is ugly or bad or condemning it but condemning any known Nigerian who speaks in Known native English speaking accent is also bad. And for you and you who speaks horrible accents, I am not arguing to defend you, you better get it right or speak your Naija accent.

Cheers.
Re: Fake American Accents On Nigerian Radio & Tv! by BABE3: 8:12pm On Sep 14, 2011
omo_to_dun:

Wassup my niggaz? What's popping, y'all? I just had to join this discussion mehn. U know what I mean, mehn. I just came back from the hospiru and ma doctor advised me to drink plenty of warra cos ma body fluid is low, mehn. By the way, I gots work to do, I berra start. My dear BABE, what is popping, mehn?

lol-- You "sound" Bush!

LOL @ Hospiru--
Re: Fake American Accents On Nigerian Radio & Tv! by Nobody: 8:17pm On Sep 14, 2011
Re: Fake American Accents On Nigerian Radio & Tv! by aribisala0(m): 8:22pm On Sep 14, 2011
Anvaller:

I agree with the poster on this issue because presenters in Nigeria dont know what they are doing. It is irritating when u hear these horrible accents, its very shameful. But I beg to differ a bit with others here on this issue. Please when we criticize, we must know how to separate the wheat from th chaffs. Some are just criticizing but they themselves dont even know what a good accent should sound like.

Many Nigerians go ahead and run a fellow Nigerian down because he speaks in british or American accents. Where as, a lot of factors could be responsible for this and so dont be quick to call someone fake when u observe this. As long as any one speaks an accent well, puts the right stress on the right syllable, sounds clear and sharp enough, I dont think there is any justification for running such person down by calling him fake. The point is that the person has mastered a language beyond the grammar and vocabulary by speaking it in the accent of the native speaker. So why would u call such person fake? We must bear it in mind that in International Language Tests, U are tested for reading, writing, listening and Speaking (and this is the where the accent issue comes in) a Nigerian who took a speaking test with a perfect (not horrible) British or american accent would score a significantly higher mark than another Nigerian who of course also speaks good english but with a typical Nigerian accent.

If you would observe, a Nigerian who is being interviewed on eg CNN or BBC speaking the typical Nigerian accent would have his comments re subtitled in English (most especially in special documentaries) because they think the quality of his accent is not clear enough to be understood by all English listeners around the world. Whereas, another Nigerian whose spoken English is may be not completely American or British but that has a relative influence of any of those accents on the way he speaks would not be re-subtitled because it is assumed that his spoken english is clear enough to be understood by all english listeners across the globe. I am only trying to give a reason why we can not just be castigating from a blanket view. The Poster raised th issue of horrible accented presenters, we shouldnt take it over to other Nigerians who have refined their spoken English even up to the accents.

For your information, White ppl also do these and they dont call themselves fake.  Its a common thing to see a German or Swedish for example speaking not only good english but in the british accent and when you wonder if he was birtish, he would tell you that "no I have never lived in britain for any long time but I simply picked up the accent because I have a british girlfriend" in cases like this, they xpect a complement from the enquirer like "wow u must be a genius to have mastered the accent this much just because of your girlfriend"  the enquirer wont say "haaa u are fake, why not speak in German accent?"

So we need to understand these things. Castigate only those who are mocking english by speaking horrible accents and do not include those who have mastered it perfectly well.

Thanks.

there are over 10 variants/dialects of english spoken in england and  trust me they are not all prety or intelligible to the international speaker or even all englishmen
geordie
mackam
scouse
mancunian
brum are just a few.
there was BBC  english whish was the closest thing to  a standard . now they employ people with regional accents.

i heard cheryl cole had problem with her geordie accent in america.

other common wealth countries/speakers e.g south africa ,canada,india,australia etc are recognized as variants of english . so maybe we should do the same in nigeria. there are many nigerians who speak with a clear nigerian accent that is intelligible to international audiences without any airs and graces e.g olu jacobs, pete edochie
Re: Fake American Accents On Nigerian Radio & Tv! by Anvaller: 8:43pm On Sep 14, 2011
BABE!:

lol--- See how you "attacked" me like we've had a discussion/argument prior this thread.

Well, there is something like faking an accent. If an accent is not yours (if it's not innate), you talking in it (either wrongly or rightly) means you're faking it. You can fake it convincingly-- it's still faking.

Plus, the phrase "faking an accent" is not a Nigerian thing; it's a common expression everywhere.

I didnt attack u. If u look at my comment, I was neither rude nor offensive in anyway. If u believe strongly in "faking accent" thing I would convince u further that u are wrong. If u are learning a language, there are 4 main elements u master about that language. 1) Reading 2) Speaking 3) Writing 4) Listening.

Let me go to number 2 because its what we are discussing now. If u are taking a speaking test in English (the language in question) U would be tested on fluency, (how very well can u speak without pressure) Intonations, (how are u stressing words in relation with  their context in a sentence and the impression of such sentence) and lastly, pronunciation. (How do u pronounce each words, are u placing right stresses on the right syllables?) Now my sister, if u are one who have mastered these elements correctly, There is no way you would sound like a typical Nigerian when u speak. My question to you, would you say such person is faking an accent? Such person have probably taken a step further than u in learning a language.

Another thing, many can pick up accent perfectly even if they are living in a place for a short term (1 yr or 2) are they fakes? I don't know if u are based in Naija or anywhere else but I hope u'd undstand this thing and re-jig ur opinion "faking accent" If u disagree still, in that case, u must agree that the fact that u learn how to express urself in another grammatical structure (english language) totally different from ur native grammatical structure (ur local language) also implies that u are faking each time u express urself in english and not ur mother tongue.

Regards.
Re: Fake American Accents On Nigerian Radio & Tv! by amblors(m): 8:49pm On Sep 14, 2011
Anvaller you dey vex oh!
but u spit the truth like a catholic in the confession booth grin grin
Re: Fake American Accents On Nigerian Radio & Tv! by NaijaNaWaa: 8:51pm On Sep 14, 2011
Straight to the point: DJ Douglas (Nwokocha) and Matilda Duncan both of Rythm 94.7 Abuja. These two suuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuucccccccccccckkkkk big time.
Re: Fake American Accents On Nigerian Radio & Tv! by Anvaller: 8:54pm On Sep 14, 2011
lol,  thank u my brother.

amblors:

Anvaller you dey vex oh!
but u spit the truth like a catholic in the confession booth grin grin
Re: Fake American Accents On Nigerian Radio & Tv! by BABE3: 9:00pm On Sep 14, 2011
@ Anvaller -- I'm not in the mood for critical thinking/talking at the moment fam. I'm deeply sorry about that. On a normal day, I would have engaged you instantly. I WILL reply you when I'm less-busy.

@ OTD: Ditto! lol @ your faux Uncle. That's pretty interesting.
Re: Fake American Accents On Nigerian Radio & Tv! by Anvaller: 9:13pm On Sep 14, 2011
Well its okay, I have enjoyed the exchange so far, I would have appreciated it much more if u are still in the mood to keep it coming but never mind, I am not trying to induce u to continue. Surely I would have gone out of mood when u reply.

Bye.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Nigerians And Their Irregular Tastes For Music. / Flavour - Chinny Baby [OFFICIAL VIDEO] / Download Chris Brown-home

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 99
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.