Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,744 members, 7,820,567 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 05:16 PM

Kelis Called ‘kunta Kinte,’ ‘disgusting Nigerian’ @ London Airport - Celebrities (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Celebrities / Kelis Called ‘kunta Kinte,’ ‘disgusting Nigerian’ @ London Airport (8714 Views)

Denrele Wears Very Long Braids: Fierce Or Disgusting? / Davido Replies A Girl Who Called Him Disgusting Gorilla / American Singer Kelis Called Slave And Disgusting Nigerian At London Airport (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Kelis Called ‘kunta Kinte,’ ‘disgusting Nigerian’ @ London Airport by anonymous6(f): 7:06pm On Sep 15, 2011
@TheifOfHearts
I applaud the Nigerian guy that stood up against those lebaneese men, they had no right to do that. When it comes to ghanians you have a point but I heard the Lebanese and Indians over there are disrespectful to them though in their country as well, here's a example; it's not all perfect with them: http://ghanaxp..com/2010/12/indians-in-ghana.html

If that was Nigeria there would have been some confrontation of some sort after some of the negative I read from the article
Re: Kelis Called ‘kunta Kinte,’ ‘disgusting Nigerian’ @ London Airport by babyboy3(m): 5:50am On Sep 16, 2011
On this board one dude mentioned how on a plane 2 Lebenese men were making nasty comments about Nigeria and Nigerian women and the dude stood up to them when they were about to get off. People HERE told the guy that he was being barbaric for speaking up and you wonder why Im irritated. Instead of applauding the guy people were yarning dust. so sick.

YAWN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Wasnt there race riots over there just a few weeks ago?

WHAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Are you familiar with the phrase "Little information is very dangerous"
Re: Kelis Called ‘kunta Kinte,’ ‘disgusting Nigerian’ @ London Airport by Buckie10: 9:53am On Sep 16, 2011
Race riots ke? Define race and then define riots then add the two together, then relate it to what happened in the UK and let's see what conclusion you arrive at. Delusions of grandeur Madam please get a better understanding of situations before unleashing so much venom!
Re: Kelis Called ‘kunta Kinte,’ ‘disgusting Nigerian’ @ London Airport by chuckdee4(m): 9:55am On Sep 16, 2011
Buckie10:

Race riots ke? Define race and then define riots then add the two together, then relate it to what happened in the UK and let's see what conclusion you arrive at. Delusions of grandeur Madam please get a better understanding of situations before unleashing so much venom!

I told you guys there is no reasoning with a donkey, all i hear when u open ur trap is HEEE HAWWW
Typical ignorant yank
Re: Kelis Called ‘kunta Kinte,’ ‘disgusting Nigerian’ @ London Airport by thameamead(f): 10:55am On Sep 16, 2011
There is racism in the UK but its not spoken about, it's discussed behind closed doors unlike America where people are not afraid or scared to say they are racists and proud to be racist.

There is racism in the Black Communtity as well, i was saw two Somalia girls racially abuse a Congolese woman on the bus and i was shocked, they called her a sponger who had come to the UK for benefits and free council house, they said she looked like an aids patient and that people like her brought yellow fever and cholera to the Uk, the woman's english was limited because english is not the first langauge in Congo, a white guy told the Somalian girls off.

Another time i witnessed an African woman bn racially abused by two Jamaican girls, they called her sponger and said the UK should close his doors to African's but the woman was brave to take them on, she yelled at them and produced her ID card to show she was no sponger but a nurse, people just looked on as they traded insults.
Re: Kelis Called ‘kunta Kinte,’ ‘disgusting Nigerian’ @ London Airport by ThiefOfHearts(f): 4:21pm On Sep 16, 2011
Na your wretched mama be "donkey" Typical Igbo touts that go around harrassing women like the phaggots that they are

anonymous6:

@TheifOfHearts
I applaud the Nigerian guy that stood up against those lebaneese men, they had no right to do that. When it comes to ghanians you have a point but I heard the Lebanese and Indians over there are disrespectful to them though in their country as well, here's a example; it's not all perfect with them: http://ghanaxp..com/2010/12/indians-in-ghana.html

If that was Nigeria there would have been some confrontation of some sort after some of the negative I read from the article

Oh Ghana definitely have their own issues, what I meant in general now as a country Ghana is better than Nigeria. Also gets more respect. After all why didnt the guy call kelis Ghanian? Arent Caribbeans high in number there? why didnt he call her that? why did he pick Nigeria? out of all the black groups in the UK. Funny how they had no problem kicking Ghanians out yet kept Lebanese anmals who want nothing positive for Nigeria
Re: Kelis Called ‘kunta Kinte,’ ‘disgusting Nigerian’ @ London Airport by chuckdee4(m): 10:44pm On Sep 16, 2011
ThiefOfHearts:

Na your wretched mama be "donkey" Typical Igbo touts that go around harrassing women like the phaggots that they are

Oh Ghana definitely have their own issues, what I meant in general now as a country Ghana is better than Nigeria. Also gets more respect. After all why didnt the guy call kelis Ghanian? Arent Caribbeans high in number there? why didnt he call her that? why did he pick Nigeria? out of all the black groups in the UK. Funny how they had no problem kicking Ghanians out yet kept Lebanese anmals who want nothing positive for Nigeria

Heeeee Hawwwww
Re: Kelis Called ‘kunta Kinte,’ ‘disgusting Nigerian’ @ London Airport by newintexas: 11:57pm On Sep 16, 2011
@Thiefofhearts,
As much as I don't like the tone with which you are expressing your views, I have to write i agree with you to some extent. If anyone here has ever done their medicals to get the U.S green card in lagos, you will see that he/she is right. I was shocked when i went there for mine to hear the way the Dr was yelling on top of her voice at the Nigerians that came there. It was really shocking to me how all but one man sat meekly and accepted the disrespect from the woman, can't remember her name now. She is storky with brownish hair. It was unbelievable that such attrocity was being given to Nigerians. I do understand that some of them might have been thro some hardships in their lives and just wanted to get away from the country but it was still a sad thing to see. the truth is that most Nigerians do not realise they have rights. First we have been conditioned to see our selves as second class people by the white man and our politicians have done a better job of making tthem see themselves as irrelevant, then the few priviledge rob it our their faces everyday that they are not worthy of any respect. What is left, a shell of a human being, with no self esteem, no hope, depression and resignation to what life hands them. I understand your anger, but I am a Nigerian that lives abroad, it took me more than five years to start realising that i do not have to accept the abuse and i am educated. so you can imagine ppl with little or no education. it will be very difficult for them to get out of their slave mentality becos they have been conditioned to think less of themselves and just happy to have enough food, shelter and finance for themselves and family.
Re: Kelis Called ‘kunta Kinte,’ ‘disgusting Nigerian’ @ London Airport by ThiefOfHearts(f): 12:22am On Sep 17, 2011
newintexas:

It was really shocking to me how all but one man sat meekly and accepted the disrespect from the woman, can't remember her name now. She is storky with brownish hair. It was unbelievable that such attrocity was being given to Nigerians.

Yet these same ones will go home and beat their wives because the rice doesnt have enough salt. Nonsense.
Re: Kelis Called ‘kunta Kinte,’ ‘disgusting Nigerian’ @ London Airport by Roforofo(m): 1:15am On Sep 17, 2011
Truth is bitter as they say. ThiefofHearts is dishing out home truths to Nigerians. We are the most pretentious group of people in this world and we hate the truth in Nigeria which is why despite all the fake prayers we keep saying in our millions of fake churches and mosques up and down the country we still never get ourselves and we are looked upon across the world as subhuman. Sadly the problem is that we worship money in Nigeria and have no principles which is why men like Gani or Fela were not listened to by the masses because the masses themselves are only interested in money. The leaders don't care about the country, the followers also don't care about the country, which explains why Nigerians abroad are always desperate to get foreign passports because deep down we know our country is useless. Even the leaders know which is why all their kids are sent abroad for schooling and whenever governor, commissioner, minister or presido falls sick dem they run go Germany or Saudi for treatment as dem know say their country dey useless. Abeg ThiefofHearts, carry go. grin
Re: Kelis Called ‘kunta Kinte,’ ‘disgusting Nigerian’ @ London Airport by newintexas: 4:38am On Sep 17, 2011
Another thing that scares me is the non challant attitude some people in this forum have. Is it that we are just scared to face the truth or are we too lazy to fight for our rights. Talk about issues affecting Nigerians and 60% of them do not really care. Infact they are ready to shoot you down for talking too much about it. The color of our skin is not the problem but our mentality. We have forgotten how to be satisfied with what we have. We watch American TV and we think that is the American dream, Real housewives of Atlanta, jersey, orange county is not reall people. Americans are struggling to get themselves out of the moral decay they are in and Nigerians want to immitate their lifestyle, Many people need a dose of common sense knocked into the heads of many Nigerians. We have many educated ppl with the mentality of stark illitrate and this is another problem in Nigeria, Many ppl went through school but school did not go through them,
Re: Kelis Called ‘kunta Kinte,’ ‘disgusting Nigerian’ @ London Airport by babyboy3(m): 7:42am On Sep 17, 2011
I have never heard so much rubbish in my life, People treat you the way you see yourself, if you see yourself as weak they treat you as weak simple! theirs no secret about, Someone called Kelis a so and so, I could imagine if that person had done the same to Naomi Campbell,

The fact is that we have some people here that the society or should I say white people has suppressed them mentally they couldnt get the bitterness out of their system,
Re: Kelis Called ‘kunta Kinte,’ ‘disgusting Nigerian’ @ London Airport by ThiefOfHearts(f): 4:16pm On Sep 17, 2011
Roforofo:

Truth is bitter as they say. ThiefofHearts is dishing out home truths to Nigerians. We are the most pretentious group of people in this world and we hate the truth in Nigeria which is why despite all the fake prayers we keep saying in our millions of fake churches and mosques up and down the country we still never get ourselves and we are looked upon across the world as subhuman.

Thank you jare. Pretentious is right. Let them continue to wallow in denial. Notice how they keep bringing up Noami Campbell? How come they never give example(s) of a Nigerian?

No one has yet to tell me why the man mentioned Nigeria(n) out of ALL the black groups in the UK.

newintexas:

Another thing that scares me is the non challant attitude some people in this forum have.

All they care about is money. They have no pride. Not willing to stand up for themselves else it'll "affect their financial source" even though they live in a society where they'll most likely not be the ones affected but the person who went out of line but again they're too afraid to say anything against Mr Oyibo.
Re: Kelis Called ‘kunta Kinte,’ ‘disgusting Nigerian’ @ London Airport by babyboy3(m): 9:53pm On Sep 17, 2011
yawn,
Re: Kelis Called ‘kunta Kinte,’ ‘disgusting Nigerian’ @ London Airport by tpia5: 9:56pm On Sep 17, 2011
why was she called a nigerian?

not saying the rest of the tirade was right though, but maybe the man was drunk or having a bad day.

in any case, was wondering about this:

http://saharareporters.com/news-page/nigerias-drug-law-enforcement-agents-nab-uk-fugitive-kindreck-dion-lee
Re: Kelis Called ‘kunta Kinte,’ ‘disgusting Nigerian’ @ London Airport by Nobody: 4:03am On Sep 18, 2011
Don't see why people are so worked up.
Nigerians are definitely scared to react back when racially abused.

It's sad to see such things but what do u expect from someone who is in a foreign land?
He probably wants to save his ass, s from deportation.

What irks me is when you have a white man trying to lord it over you in Naija.
That is the height of disrespect.

People have to free themselves from mental slavery.
Why did the white man call Kelis a Nigeraian? why not a Congolese or Ghanian?

Nigerians abroad don''t even respect themselves.
Majority of the criminals and deliquents of African origin in the diaspora are Nigerians.

The worst form of deceit is self deceit.
All those defending blindly, plese get real.
Re: Kelis Called ‘kunta Kinte,’ ‘disgusting Nigerian’ @ London Airport by Nobody: 4:06am On Sep 18, 2011
tpia@:

[size=28pt]why was she called a nigerian? [/size]

not saying the rest of the tirade was right though, but maybe the man was drunk or having a bad day.

in any case, was wondering about this:

http://saharareporters.com/news-page/nigerias-drug-law-enforcement-agents-nab-uk-fugitive-kindreck-dion-lee

Arent blacks in London predominantly Nigerians?

---

Which Nigerians are afraid to react? Oh dear, send your Non-Nigerian friends to come and say sth racist in front of the Nigerians over here.

Personally, small things pisses me off and nothings scares me from reacting. Except if it's an AA making such comments, I just shake my head and walk off. Not worth the reply.
Re: Kelis Called ‘kunta Kinte,’ ‘disgusting Nigerian’ @ London Airport by babyboy3(m): 5:54am On Sep 18, 2011

---

Which Nigerians are afraid to react? Oh dear, send your Non-Nigerian friends to come and say sth racist in front of the Nigerians over here.

Personally, small things pisses me off and nothings scares me from reacting. Except if it's an AA making such comments, I just shake my head and walk off. Not worth the reply.

I dont know why you bother responding to the bunch of garbage written on here,

They think because living in UK automatically means your rated as a 2nd class citizen, "Blimey" some people need to step out more!

These are the same people when they see Omotola or Genevieve or any other Nollywood star on CNN or BBC having an interview they would be clapping their gums as if they won Oscar or Bafta, Am sorry not everyone is shallow in their thinking,
Re: Kelis Called ‘kunta Kinte,’ ‘disgusting Nigerian’ @ London Airport by tpia5: 8:35pm On Sep 18, 2011

seems like the snubs were intentional and i'm sure the man knew she wasnt nigerian.

a polite way of saying "african"- he'd already called her kunta kinte so we get the general idea.

AAs visiting britain sometimes get some funny treatment- i wonder why. The AA celebrities especially.

are they overreacting or is there really a bit of tension?
Re: Kelis Called ‘kunta Kinte,’ ‘disgusting Nigerian’ @ London Airport by kony1(m): 5:57am On Sep 19, 2011
Ileke-IdI:

Except if it's an AA making such comments, I just shake my head and walk off. Not worth the reply.

Why are we beneath you?
Re: Kelis Called ‘kunta Kinte,’ ‘disgusting Nigerian’ @ London Airport by ThiefOfHearts(f): 5:05am On Sep 20, 2011
Ileke-IdI:

No.

and there's a difference between UK and US. The Nigerians here are more likely to say something than they are.
Re: Kelis Called ‘kunta Kinte,’ ‘disgusting Nigerian’ @ London Airport by ThiefOfHearts(f): 5:06am On Sep 20, 2011
BlueDiva:

Don't see why people are so worked up.
Nigerians are definitely scared to react back when racially abused.

It's sad to see such things but what do u expect from someone who is in a foreign land?
He probably wants to save his Bottom, s from deportation.

What irks me is when you have a white man trying to lord it over you in Naija.
That is the height of disrespect.

People have to free themselves from mental slavery.
Why did the white man call Kelis a Nigeraian? why not a Congolese or Ghanian?

Nigerians abroad don''t even respect themselves.
Majority of the criminals and deliquents of African origin in the diaspora are Nigerians.

The worst form of deceit is self deceit.
All those defending blindly, plese get real.

abi o.
Re: Kelis Called ‘kunta Kinte,’ ‘disgusting Nigerian’ @ London Airport by omar22(m): 6:53am On Sep 20, 2011
No.

and there's a difference between UK and US. The Nigerians here are more likely to say something than they are.

ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha

OH MY DAYS, my belle is hurting!!! ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha

In America!!!!!!!!!!!!

Do you think war is the answer to everything?

Do you think confronting someone making a scene is the most civil way to act,

The mere fact that UK are firm on their laws whereas US especially in the southern states laws would pay no attention to your case,

Try and broaden your horizon, in life you choose your battles, someone called Kelis a disgusting Nigerian and she walked away! I guess in your world you were expecting her to take off her head tie wrap it around her waist, take off her ear-rings give it to her comrade shouting given it large - Oya lets fight!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Oh please!!!! GROW UP!!

No wonder we have senates and ministers throwing blows at each other in the Nigerian House of Parliament,
Re: Kelis Called ‘kunta Kinte,’ ‘disgusting Nigerian’ @ London Airport by sophienwa(f): 12:38pm On Sep 20, 2011
Can I just say that this actually happened in Spain and not London as initially implied plus though that case was blatant racism, racism in the uk is generally more subtle than that. Unfortunately the law requires a strong burden of proof and it is usually hard to prove unless they blatantly call u d N word or something similar. They are getting cleverer and cleverer in being racist and know what they can and can't get away with
Re: Kelis Called ‘kunta Kinte,’ ‘disgusting Nigerian’ @ London Airport by ThiefOfHearts(f): 4:00pm On Sep 20, 2011
sophienwa:

Can I just say that this actually happened in Spain and not London as initially implied plus though that case was blatant racism, r

Um NO.

Kelis specifically said that this took place in England. Spain ko. Spanish ni.
Re: Kelis Called ‘kunta Kinte,’ ‘disgusting Nigerian’ @ London Airport by sophienwa(f): 4:15pm On Sep 20, 2011
Well darling, she re-tweeted after the Major of London promised to investigate that in happen @ an airport in Spain. Her flight was from London but she was in Spain when it happened
Re: Kelis Called ‘kunta Kinte,’ ‘disgusting Nigerian’ @ London Airport by Basildon1(m): 4:36pm On Sep 20, 2011
sophienwa:

Well darling, she re-tweeted after the Major of London promised to investigate that in happen @ an airport in Spain. Her flight was from London but she was in Spain when it happened
Why bother? The location wouldnt really matter.

An 'intelligent' point is being made here and 'we poor nigerians in the UK' that have little education and cower in the presence of The White Man are taking notes with rapt attention.

1 Like

Re: Kelis Called ‘kunta Kinte,’ ‘disgusting Nigerian’ @ London Airport by ThiefOfHearts(f): 4:39pm On Sep 20, 2011
sophienwa, the man is British

This article is the best article for this event

http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/2011/sep/18/kelis-racism-brad-pitt
Re: Kelis Called ‘kunta Kinte,’ ‘disgusting Nigerian’ @ London Airport by ThiefOfHearts(f): 4:42pm On Sep 20, 2011

Kelis reveals the face of casual British racism

The singer's experience of abuse should shame us all

It comes to something when racism from a Briton is described as "disgusting" by a black American raised in Harlem. Singer Kelis, who memorably brought milk shake to the yard, used Twitter to describe an incident at a Spanish border control, where a British man, thinking she'd pushed in, called her a "slave", "probably a disgusting Nigerian" and "Kunta Kinte". Talking of our riots, Kelis said that she felt Britain was "decades behind in progression… everything is swept under the rug".

There was some initial confusion about where it happened. Boris Johnson mistakenly wrote to the UK Border Agency about the incident. He also tweeted an apology to Kelis, assuring her that her incident was "not typical" of Britain. I, too, read the report, thinking that Kelis's abuse at the hands of a British person seemed highly unusual and extreme.

Then it struck me how presumptuous and ridiculous I was being. However liberal and informed I like to think I am, I remain white. So, as far as first-hand experience of racism from my fellow Britons goes, what the hell do I know?

UK border control, Spanish border control, it's irrelevant – it was still a British person allegedly spouting the abuse, behaving, we'd like to think, out of national character. For me, this story was a wake-up call. There are few things certain in this world, but I'm fairly confident I'm never going to be standing in a queue with my child, as Kelis was, getting called "slave", "Kunta Kinte" or any variation thereof.

It's unlikely I'll ever be a victim of racism. Does this shut me up or give me pause on the subject? Apparently not. From my position of cosseted ignorance, my immediate reaction to Kelis's story was: "Well, that's terrible. But it's not what British people are like; we are a tolerant people; our racism is not that bad."

This, Kelis might be interested to know, is what a lot of nice white British folk do. Not so much sweep it under the rug as grab the telescope and look down the wrong end. Framing the situation to put the notion of white witness at the centre. If we can't see it, it's not happening. The presumption is that what white people know of racism is all anybody needs to know. How galling for the black people, or other non-white people, who are actually experiencing it.

Back in Blighty, this is not about a self-hating whitey getting her PC knickers in a twist. Of course, British white people know about racism. We've all got eyes and ears for what's going on and a stake in the outcome. All I'm saying is that sympathy is one thing, personal experience quite another. If it isn't actually happening to you, all you ever see is a partial picture.

Meanwhile, non-whites are probably quietly putting up with more than anyone realises. Far from there being a "PC culture gone mad", I would wager a fair bit of vile abuse isn't complained about or even mentioned – it would be too exhausting and time-consuming. It must not only be the hammer blows that get to you, but also the paper cuts – the dreary indignities, underminings, and exclusions that filter into everyday life, such as some slowpoke kicking off at an airport.

This seems particularly true in a country such as Britain where the racism is frequently cloaked and insidious. Would that British guy have said what he did in a UK queue? Who knows.

We should be grateful to Kelis for getting vocal, lifting a rock to show the dirty business going on beneath. Perhaps it made some white people realise that it's not all about us and our perceptions of racism.

Just because we don't see something going on, it doesn't mean it isn't.
Re: Kelis Called ‘kunta Kinte,’ ‘disgusting Nigerian’ @ London Airport by ThiefOfHearts(f): 4:44pm On Sep 20, 2011
the fact that ths mere white woman understood my point and Nigerians couldnt/rather insult me and hide in denial is hella embarrassing
Re: Kelis Called ‘kunta Kinte,’ ‘disgusting Nigerian’ @ London Airport by babyboy3(m): 9:05pm On Sep 20, 2011
ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha

OH MY DAYS, my belle is hurting!!! ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha

In America!!!!!!!!!!!!

Do you think war is the answer to everything?

Do you think confronting someone making a scene is the most civil way to act,

The mere fact that UK are firm on their laws whereas US especially in the southern states laws would pay no attention to your case,

Try and broaden your horizon, in life you choose your battles, someone called Kelis a disgusting Nigerian and she walked away! I guess in your world you were expecting her to take off her head tie wrap it around her waist, take off her ear-rings give it to her comrade shouting given it large - Oya lets fight!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Oh please!!!! GROW UP!!

No wonder we have senates and ministers throwing blows at each other in the Nigerian House of Parliament,

You couldn't have put it better,

Theirs more racism within Nigeria let alone in Africa,

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Yahoo Boy Breaks The Internet As He Smoke With US $100 Highest Currency / Singer Zinoleesky Buys New Lexus Car Worth ₦4.5 Million / Wtf Halle And Jamie

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 87
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.