Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,998 members, 7,817,947 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 11:40 PM

Calling On All Web Designers/developers: Redesign Of Nigeria.gov.ng - Webmasters (9) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Webmasters / Calling On All Web Designers/developers: Redesign Of Nigeria.gov.ng (49655 Views)

Photos: Lagos State Government Website (lagosstate.gov.ng) Has Been Hacked / 509 Bandwidth Limit Exceeded - Nscdc.gov.ng / We Present To You, The (voluntarily) Redesigned Nigeria.gov.ng (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) ... (15) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Calling On All Web Designers/developers: Redesign Of Nigeria.gov.ng by dhtml1(m): 8:19am On Oct 17, 2011
I am fully back to coding now (escaped from leave), so where are the damned codes? Lemme deal with them. Meanwhile, i will expect to work alongside the
frontend developers to observe the coding standards and all that - that will enable me to plan on how to assist the backend coders.
And where are the backend coders? by now i expect that we will be finalizing on some stuffs.
Re: Calling On All Web Designers/developers: Redesign Of Nigeria.gov.ng by yawatide(f): 11:11am On Oct 17, 2011
UPDATE:
Per the FB page, there are 2 teams of front end coders working on the 3 template pages. They have till october 19th, 2011 to be done. Actually the home page team is going first and after inspection of their code and upon approval of that code, team B will continue with the 2 inner pages. The reasoning is that the home page is unique while the other 2 pages rely on the global features (nav, header, footer, etc) from the home page.

After all code is approved, it will be handed over to the back end guys to continue.

Sorry for the delay in giving this update folks.
Re: Calling On All Web Designers/developers: Redesign Of Nigeria.gov.ng by dhtml1(m): 8:38pm On Oct 17, 2011
Am fine with that, now where are the available backend guys? we need to start planning on that area, and do some votes, and start
gathering libraries and stuffs
Re: Calling On All Web Designers/developers: Redesign Of Nigeria.gov.ng by yawatide(f): 9:21pm On Oct 17, 2011
I had copied you on the back end guys some time ago so you have their email addresses.

The idea will be the same: I will split you guys up into 3: Home page and the 2 inner pages.

Remember, we are not coding every single page. Just the home page, a landing page (with links to all the other inner pages) and 1 inner page. This is a proof of concept and not a rival. If and when the powers that be want us to go further, then we can use the already established foundation to develop to specs.
Re: Calling On All Web Designers/developers: Redesign Of Nigeria.gov.ng by dhtml1(m): 10:54pm On Oct 17, 2011
I get it. Thanks. Those emails are ehm a bit too numerous, but i will try go through them. Thank you.
Re: Calling On All Web Designers/developers: Redesign Of Nigeria.gov.ng by yawatide(f): 10:39am On Oct 18, 2011
dhtml,

If you have the opportunity to work outside the shores of Nigeria, you will note one thing: there is no such thing as over-communication. Communication is key to the success of a large project that involves a large number of people.

The more you know, the better smiley
Re: Calling On All Web Designers/developers: Redesign Of Nigeria.gov.ng by dhtml1(m): 11:59am On Oct 18, 2011
The communication is fine, just that i was not available for awhile so there are lotsa messages for me to read, just not gotten around to reading everything already. . .thanks - that is why i am asking so that we can "overcommunicate" (yo creo). Thanks and muchas gracias at the same time.
Re: Calling On All Web Designers/developers: Redesign Of Nigeria.gov.ng by Koolwilly(m): 9:02pm On Oct 18, 2011
I love the progress of this project,
@dhtml I dey hail oooo, thanks for the other day,
Re: Calling On All Web Designers/developers: Redesign Of Nigeria.gov.ng by dhtml1(m): 9:20pm On Oct 18, 2011
You are most welcome. And yes, this project is moving on very fine too.
Re: Calling On All Web Designers/developers: Redesign Of Nigeria.gov.ng by Nobody: 2:59am On Oct 19, 2011
Hello there, just got to know about the project. I will like to ba part of it. Where do i register to be part of it? I would have to work with the backend program, but that seems late now. I could also help with the website contents, and the dynamics.

I will be most delighted if you allow me. Thanks.
Re: Calling On All Web Designers/developers: Redesign Of Nigeria.gov.ng by webprof1: 4:53am On Oct 19, 2011
Hello Guys, Am very pleased with this initiative, nice one yewa_ti_de, am very happy with the fact that people are becoming aware of the state of things in this country and that as IT Professional, we have to do our part to make things better. Not just nigeria.gov.ng that has this, many government websites are noting to write about, not even that of the ministry of education(http://fmegovng.org). I also acknowledge the fact that finance, works, information and communication are trying.

Saying am in is an understatement, i want to have full participation in the planing and development process of this initiative.

My Skills:
HTML, CSS, PHP, ASP, ASP.NET, MYSQL, MSSQL, not much of Javascript and AJAX but am developing myself on them, sure i know the basics. Not very good in graphic design but can make good graphic selection if samples placed before me. I dont seems to like Oracle that much because of its complications, but can adapt if need be.

Opinion:
1. I want to also believe that the number of people currently willing to participate is a good one to start with. new members should be admitted n file in as we progress. I believe we can start now with the analysis of the system we intend to build.
2. we should be able to met online to discuss on implementation via at a foretold time in any of the chatroom using facebook, yahoo messanger or any other
3. Yawa-ti-de, I also think you should start assigning responsibility starting with a team of design analysts(5 or more members headed by someone) whose basic responsibility will be to come up with a prototype(they dont necessarily have to code but bring a documentation showing their work). specify the functionality of the site, the system requirements.
4. the graphic designer too should be tax with the responsibility of getting good graphic template with basic functionality ready, so that by the time the analysts are done, they too can come up with too or more template that will be deliberated on by the members.
5. Re analyze the database design to fix bugs.
6. programming proper.

Conclusion;
I guess with these wonderful heads put together, we can build a better nigeria.gov.ng
thank you all and God bless
Re: Calling On All Web Designers/developers: Redesign Of Nigeria.gov.ng by databoy: 9:29am On Oct 19, 2011
Did you actually read this thread from the begining?
Re: Calling On All Web Designers/developers: Redesign Of Nigeria.gov.ng by frisahost(m): 10:06am On Oct 19, 2011
@yawa-ti-de i ve not received mock-up for my job.
Re: Calling On All Web Designers/developers: Redesign Of Nigeria.gov.ng by yawatide(f): 10:40am On Oct 19, 2011
dotobo/web prof:
Send me an email with your full name, email address and role you would like to play: back end coder, tester, seo, security. These are the remaining roles.

frisahost:
I have replied to you in the closed facebook group. Act accordingly

dotobo:
We are fully aware of how the other sites look. This project is, as you have stated, our way of telling those concerned that there are a group of people who not only see what is wrong but who can and will offer a viable solution. If they see and appreciate what we are doing, they will have us work on the others or worse case, tell their people to at least match what we are doing. At the end of the day, regardless of outcome, we will all leave this project knowing that we have learned something from working with peoples we don't even know and who we may never even meet in our lives.

I personally am very pleased with the level of professionalism and dedication of the people I have worked with so far. If there is anyone you know who says our web designers/developers are nothing to write home about, send them my way and I will convince them otherwise.

all:
Closed Facebook group where you register, if you are volunteering for this project: http://www./172013582877604/

A lot of progress has been made. We are finishing up the html for the 3 page templates
Re: Calling On All Web Designers/developers: Redesign Of Nigeria.gov.ng by danteweb: 2:37pm On Oct 19, 2011
Guys, visit Oyostate.gov.ng you might get a cue from that.

It wont be there for too long so be fast.
Re: Calling On All Web Designers/developers: Redesign Of Nigeria.gov.ng by Afam4eva(m): 2:50pm On Oct 19, 2011
That Oyo state website is nice looking. But it looks more like a Nigerian than a state website. I think states should have something unique about them. This should be seen in their color usage. Every state cannot go about using green.
Re: Calling On All Web Designers/developers: Redesign Of Nigeria.gov.ng by dinah777: 2:51pm On Oct 19, 2011
Tell them to hire me,how much are they willing to pay?
Re: Calling On All Web Designers/developers: Redesign Of Nigeria.gov.ng by yawatide(f): 4:05pm On Oct 19, 2011
Kai! Person don take this site clean mouth well well. Am I the only one who has noticed that though the graphics and layout are good, that the entire site is ONE BIG BLOODY IMAGE?

Wonders shall never end cry
Re: Calling On All Web Designers/developers: Redesign Of Nigeria.gov.ng by Slyr0x: 5:03pm On Oct 19, 2011
Re: Calling On All Web Designers/developers: Redesign Of Nigeria.gov.ng by ShyOne(f): 5:43pm On Oct 19, 2011
^^^

I love it - very, very nice - I also love the text - though it is grey - it isn't faint and hard to read - the U.S. has a very large percent of baby boomers that are 40-70 and that population as they age - need glasses to read.

That population is also the population that holds the primary wealth of the country - so the text is very legible and easy to read - whoever chose it chose wisely

The video insert is very good  too - I like

I love the colors, the artwork and the simplicity of the overall appearance as well.
Re: Calling On All Web Designers/developers: Redesign Of Nigeria.gov.ng by databoy: 5:45pm On Oct 19, 2011
Is that really a site or a demo version. Cos according to yawa its a big image. Apart from the menu "about oyo state", nothing else seems to be working.   undecided 9ja boyz nor go kill me!!

It virtually means NO ONE from oyo state government agencies visits their official demo site website.
Re: Calling On All Web Designers/developers: Redesign Of Nigeria.gov.ng by databoy: 5:54pm On Oct 19, 2011
The most beautiful government website in Nigeria (in terms of design and complete functionality) to me, is just nddc.gov.ng grin
Re: Calling On All Web Designers/developers: Redesign Of Nigeria.gov.ng by databoy: 5:57pm On Oct 19, 2011
nddc.gov.ng has 68 pages and links ALL FUNCTIONAL http://nddc.gov.ng/?page=sitemap

@shy-one, please compare with your much adored oyo state website tongue
Re: Calling On All Web Designers/developers: Redesign Of Nigeria.gov.ng by ShyOne(f): 6:24pm On Oct 19, 2011
@ data

Abeg - I love your site - I love it very much

But it is TOO MUCH INFORMATION - crammed up in a very small space - if it HAS TO BE on the Home Page - move it around - Headings should always be larger than subheadings (that is a rule of thumb)

Someone with money who is older would take one look at this site and close it - they would walk away - they would say IT IS TOO MUCH READING.  Older people like quick, fast, easy - they have spent their life - working in convoluted manners - mark my word, the majority of them don't want to retire struggling to read and sort out when the information can presented in a less convoluted fashion that makes it "easy for the user."

This is too much

However - the beauty of this site is the multiple opportunities that are listed

Question:  Why is it listed as though it is a "Table of Contents" for a book?  It is in "List Form" Is the font size  7, 8 or 9 point? 

These are some basics that you should have in your subconscious when formatting the appearance of the "Home Page"

I do love - absolutely love the content of the site - but it would scare off readers who really need to stick around long enough once they open the site to gather and collect the information that the site presents because it is very important information.

Don't do injustice to the information on the site by presenting it to the public in this manner.

Just my 2 cents.
Re: Calling On All Web Designers/developers: Redesign Of Nigeria.gov.ng by ShyOne(f): 6:28pm On Oct 19, 2011
@ Data

FYI: (for your information)

I adore alot of things too numerous to count.

I adore your site too for the information it houses - just rearrange it in a manner that makes someone want to reach out, touch and HANG AROUND it.  That is all I am saying.  No offense intended on any level as I do really think you have something "really great" here.
Re: Calling On All Web Designers/developers: Redesign Of Nigeria.gov.ng by yawatide(f): 7:03pm On Oct 19, 2011
Granted the oyo site doesn't even come up on page 3 of Google's SERPs, if you are still developing a site, tis best to put it in a "staging" folder on your folder and exclude that folder via the robots.txt file. Then once everything is dandy, you transfer to the root.

An example site I might be working on:
www.christourhopeatl.org vs www.christourhopeatl.org/staging/index.php
Re: Calling On All Web Designers/developers: Redesign Of Nigeria.gov.ng by Nobody: 8:09pm On Oct 19, 2011
^^^^
I would prefer the latter to the former link. Yet, the later needs some job with the footwrapper to complement the whole body of the page, that is, just push in a little red colored footwrapper in the size of the nav buttons down there and it will do the perfect job. Another thing, the facebook link icon position should be changed and moved to somewhere else within the body.
Re: Calling On All Web Designers/developers: Redesign Of Nigeria.gov.ng by ShyOne(f): 8:39pm On Oct 19, 2011
^^^^

Seconded ALL THE WAY

@ Yawa  - that second one is perfect - just beautiful - presentation, color, text color, text size (LOVE), information displayed IS CONCISE, spacing of sentences EXCELLENT.

Very impressed missy - very impressed with you. The overall appearance of the website (a complete thumbs up)
Re: Calling On All Web Designers/developers: Redesign Of Nigeria.gov.ng by databoy: 8:58pm On Oct 19, 2011
Who is this dude called shy-one?? Did i ever mention that i designed nddc's website? Jeeeez!! Some people act like they are on drugs.
Re: Calling On All Web Designers/developers: Redesign Of Nigeria.gov.ng by ShyOne(f): 9:06pm On Oct 19, 2011
^^^

I receive constructive criticism on my creations and my designs all the time.  I  look at the words that I receive and at times - it hurts - but I have been snatched back by others who have told me to "not take anything personal" - especially from those who are in fields that "know what they are talking about"

my remarks to you - ONLY CENTER around the APPEARANCE of the site - if you created it - you can also CHANGE IT - make changes to the appearance of your site.

Do my comments in any way, shape or form alter "your brilliance"?  OF COURSE NOT.

I am a woman - I do not use drugs and I do not drink.

Also, bear in mind that perfection is something that all of us - work hard to achieve and it is ever evolving - THROW AND AIM FOR IT - don't throw and aim for me.

I gave you what I want from others - truth and not lies.  I don't want to hear something that is going to make me feel good and is UNTRUE in scope for the untruth is misleading and I want perfection and excellence around me.  Don't tell me "what you think I want to hear"  - tell me "what will help me achieve the highest good."

We are adults, not children or child-like - "big business" deals with adults
Re: Calling On All Web Designers/developers: Redesign Of Nigeria.gov.ng by ShyOne(f): 9:12pm On Oct 19, 2011
@ data - also why even waste time asking for opinions of others if you are too sensitive to accept their words?  I am not attacking you - I am just speaking my thoughts.

The oyo site - I love its appearance

But if links aren't working on the oyo site and you want my feedback because your site DOES have working links - I do understand what you have said - I love that you are a brilliant programmer.  But you have to have other sides that are as fluent as our programming skills - the appearance of your site must be just as brilliant - it is not - so just make it so - if you can create that ndcc like you did with all of that massive information.

Make the appearance just as lovable and fantastic as its content.
Re: Calling On All Web Designers/developers: Redesign Of Nigeria.gov.ng by databoy: 9:55pm On Oct 19, 2011
You are still acting like you are on drugs. Cos i still have not mentioned that i designed the nddc website. You are speaking too much grammar impairing you from grabing the message here. Stop criticizing a work that isnt mine!!

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) ... (15) (Reply)

Saad Abdulganiy Built A House In Ilorin (Photos) / Jack Dorsey Visits UNILAG (Photos) / Mark Zuckerberg And Wife, Priscilla Step Out With Their Baby Bump

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 46
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.