Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,940 members, 7,821,295 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 11:03 AM

Bankole Wants To Return to House Of Reps - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Bankole Wants To Return to House Of Reps (771 Views)

Ambode Presents Y2016 Budget Proposal Of N665.588bn To House Of Assembly / Ambode Submits List Of 23 Commissioners, 13 Special Advisers To House For Screen / Suntai Sends Letter To House Of Assembly Asking To Resume As Governor (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Bankole Wants To Return to House Of Reps by OAM4J: 1:42am On Sep 15, 2011
[size=13pt]Bankole’s return bid causes ripples in House[/size]

The bid by immediate Speaker of the House of Representatives, Mr. Dimeji Bankole, to return to the House is reportedly causing ripples among the lawmakers.

But, Mr. Segun Williams, who defeated Bankole in the race for the Abeokuta Federal Constituency seat last April, told journalists on Wednesday that the ex-speaker’s return moves did not bother him.

Bankole had congratulated Williams, a member of the Action Congress of Nigeria shortly after the result of the poll was declared.

The ex-speaker said that he would not contest the victory of Williams in court.

However, his party, the Peoples Democratic Party, later went to court to challenge the outcome of the poll and joined Bankole as co-plaintiff.

Findings showed that some lawmakers were said to be worried over the ex-speaker’s moves.

“He has not been leaving anything to chance since he lost the election.

“The ex-speaker has been moving like a wild wind and wants to return to the House”, a National Assembly source told The PUNCH in Abuja on Wednesday.

Williams dismissed the return bid, saying that he won the election by popular votes and had no reasons to entertain fear.

He said, “I don’t have anything against him going to the tribunal.

“ACN won the election, adjudged to be free and fair.

“So, I can not entertain any fear. I have confidence in God and the judiciary.

“There is no way my party or I will be jittery.”

Williams also described as “blatant lies”, rumours that his party might abandon him.

“This is a complete lie; there is nothing like that. What for?

“It is unthinkable; we have a loyal and faithful party in ACN”, he stated.

Insiders at the House said that some influential lawmakers were allegedly forecasting on what the scenario would look like should the speaker win the court case.

It was gathered that certain powerful groups in the PDP were aligning with Bankole and backing his return bid.

A prominent member of the House siad, “All this is happening at a time when former President Olusegun Obasanjo is insisting that the office of Speaker must be held by the South-West.

“The PDP in the South-West is saying the same thing. We don’t know the direction they are headed.”

http://www.punchng.com/Articl.aspx?theartic=Art20110915318040

(1) (Reply)

Northern Govs: We Can’t Pay New Wage Under Pressure / Tinubu And The Lynch Mob / Describe Lagos State Lg Elections In Two Words

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 8
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.