Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,624 members, 7,809,335 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 07:58 AM

33 Million Nigerians Are Jobless - NBS - Jobs/Vacancies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / 33 Million Nigerians Are Jobless - NBS (7004 Views)

Over 400,000 Jobs Created In 3rd Quarter - NBS / The Attitude Of Friends When You Are Jobless. / Nigeria Records 85 Per Cent Employment In 6 Months – NBS (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

33 Million Nigerians Are Jobless - NBS by Toonice(m): 9:54am On Sep 15, 2011
33 Million Nigerians Jobless - NBS

About 32.5million Nigerians are unemployed,  the National Bureau of Statistics (NBS) has said.

The Statistician General of the Federation, Dr Yemi Kale, made this disclosure in his maiden press briefing on Wednesday in Abuja .

He said  the figure was the latest as it was released in 2010 for 2011.

Dr Kale said the NBS  had developed a system  whereby the number of jobs created in the country would be known.

On inflation rate, the NBS boss said while all items stood at 9.4 per cent, last month, inflation was  maintained at a single digit with Consumer Price Index (CPI) rising by 9.3 per cent year on year.

According to him,“the monthly change in the  CPI was 1.67 per cent in July 2011. The all items year on year average consumer price level for urban and rural dwellers rose by 7.1 per cent and 11.1 per cent respectively. With respect to 12-month moving average, the CPI change is 11.6 per cent which is slightly lower  than the figure in July which was 12 per cent.”

On food inflation, he said the average change in prices on a year on year was 8.7 per cent, 2.7 per cent on a month on month basis and 11.6 per cent on a 12-month moving average basis.

He stated further that, core inflation, which  is all items less farm produce stood at 10.9 per cent on a year on year basis, 12 per cent on a 12-month moving average basis and 0.9 per cent on a month by month basis.

Dr Kale noted  that agriculture remained the largest contributor to the Gross Domestic Product (GDP) at 41.49 per cent in the second quarter compared to 42.32 per cent  in the second quarter of 2010. Similarly, wholesale and retail trade account for 16.75 per cent.

He said crude petroleum and natural gas contributed to 14.84 per cent compared to 15.7 per cent and manufacturing contributed 3.91 per cent in the second quarter of 2011 compared to 3.93 per cent in the second quarter of 2010.

http://www.tribune.com.ng/index.php/news/28247-33-million-nigerians-jobless-nbs
Re: 33 Million Nigerians Are Jobless - NBS by Demdem(m): 10:04am On Sep 15, 2011
I dont trust this stat. Those jobless are definitely more than 33Million.
Asking me how i know is like asking how my eyes knows what will be enough for my tummy.
Govt has to wake up.
Re: 33 Million Nigerians Are Jobless - NBS by seanet02: 11:15am On Sep 15, 2011
When you have figures on such issues from a Nigerian government agency, trust me, it is times four of what they give you.
Re: 33 Million Nigerians Are Jobless - NBS by obowunmi(m): 11:17am On Sep 15, 2011
If there are Nigerians in Libya, trust that this number is higher. More like 100 million
Re: 33 Million Nigerians Are Jobless - NBS by buzugee(m): 12:53pm On Sep 15, 2011
working is overrated anyway. 'loafing' ? now thats where its at
Re: 33 Million Nigerians Are Jobless - NBS by pinkrex(m): 12:54pm On Sep 15, 2011
Unreliable data angry angry angry
Re: 33 Million Nigerians Are Jobless - NBS by Nobody: 12:59pm On Sep 15, 2011
Big lie, am sure this is more than, they are trying to make Nigeria look better in employment grin
Re: 33 Million Nigerians Are Jobless - NBS by ochiaha1(m): 1:01pm On Sep 15, 2011
If the number of unemployed Nigerians is 32.5 million, then we have a very big problem on our hands.

If we take the total population of the country to be 160 million, then the above figure represents  approximately 20% of the entire Nigerian population, which is just extremely high angry

Currently, the US unemployment rate is 9% of the entire population and it provoked so much furor among Americans that their President, Barack Obama has been forced to pass a bill to congress called, 'The Job Act' which seeks to create more Jobs for Americans.

Comparing the above action by Americans to what we as Nigerians are doing currently, it can be concluded that we have not really taken any concrete steps to solve the unemployment problem of Nigerians. sad
Re: 33 Million Nigerians Are Jobless - NBS by MrCork17: 1:02pm On Sep 15, 2011
This is news?.  Do  people even  has jobs in Nigeria?   undecided (no oofeinse)
Re: 33 Million Nigerians Are Jobless - NBS by kkkossy(m): 1:03pm On Sep 15, 2011
THERE IS A DIFFERENCE BETWEEN NUMBER OF JOBLESS NIGERIANS AND NUMBER OF NIGERIAN GRADUATES THAT ARE JOBLESS>>>>>WHICH ARE THE REFERRING TO?
Re: 33 Million Nigerians Are Jobless - NBS by agitator: 1:11pm On Sep 15, 2011
Men, see copy copy o shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked US release unemployment figures, naija too do same. Where dem from get the statistics? angry angry angry angry angry angry angry
Re: 33 Million Nigerians Are Jobless - NBS by macroworld: 1:15pm On Sep 15, 2011
Even if we use the 33 million as a base figure discounting the possibility of higher figure, that is still high. Depending what our actual Population stats are that is still just over 20 % unemployed. I am hypothetically using 160 million population as an assumption here. If we drill it down to specifics like age demography/ working population/ and so on, the % could be somewhere between 30-40 % depending on other variables. My point is even at 33 million, it is still an alarming data that needs some correction. It is not sustainable.

I would imagine we should be looking at the employment capacity within the country and embark on some Options appraisal to open up the economy. Even if there are no jobs/ employment capacity in firms, perhaps self- employment backed up by Micro- financing/ portable financing etc should be embarked on, on a large scale bases. I know some of these exists now but if it is a Local, state and national priority with funding going into these, it might ease some of the unemployment.
Re: 33 Million Nigerians Are Jobless - NBS by POTUT(m): 1:19pm On Sep 15, 2011
The FGN
[list]
[li]has not set up Job Centers across LGAs where Nigerians who are unemployed/under-employed can go to register their names[/li]
[li]has no liaison mechanism with Corporate Nigeria, SMEs and Very Small Businesses to continually monitor their payroll data to determine when and what number they hire or fire monthly.[/li]
[/list]

Without the above, any statistics on employment in Nigeria is a FRAUD!
Re: 33 Million Nigerians Are Jobless - NBS by atasteve: 1:21pm On Sep 15, 2011
What parameter did they use because I didn't hear of anybody that filled any questionnaire
Re: 33 Million Nigerians Are Jobless - NBS by norrisman: 1:21pm On Sep 15, 2011
@ Ochi Aha

E for better small if it was a percentage of the whole population but AFAIK it is measured against the number of people able to work. So in Nigeria, 33 million out of say 80 million (I made this figure up. I am assumming half the population is of working age i.e. 17 - 74) who are able to work are out of work.

That means our unemployment rate is 37%!
Re: 33 Million Nigerians Are Jobless - NBS by johnjoel(m): 1:22pm On Sep 15, 2011
liiiieeee my own esteemate more than 59million Nigerians are jobless<<>what can i say,, they are just talking
Re: 33 Million Nigerians Are Jobless - NBS by Rotade: 1:29pm On Sep 15, 2011
The statistics was a mere fallacy. Maybe we should ask how he got the figure quoted. He claimed to have developed a system in a country where there is no accurate figures of its citizens. Well, God will deliver us.
Re: 33 Million Nigerians Are Jobless - NBS by Orikinla(m): 1:40pm On Sep 15, 2011
the bitter truth is majority of Nigerian youths are not gainfully employed and this incompetent government has no practical plans for mass employment and when you give the ministers solutions, they prefer to award inflated contracts to their fronts to loot the national treasury.
Re: 33 Million Nigerians Are Jobless - NBS by mondob2k(m): 1:41pm On Sep 15, 2011
Now, how on earth did they get those figures? never heard of pple filling questionaires. if they are relyin on 2006 census data then they in for a shocker! millions of people have graduated from schools and apprenticeship and millions more have attain working age wit no jobs.
Re: 33 Million Nigerians Are Jobless - NBS by pinkrex(m): 1:41pm On Sep 15, 2011
If they say 150 million, just know it 200+, undecided
If they say 33million just know its 70million. undecided

HOw do there get their datas?
Re: 33 Million Nigerians Are Jobless - NBS by pinkrex(m): 2:13pm On Sep 15, 2011
kolade2009:

Hurray!!! Here is the opportunity you have been waiting for: With just as low as N250,000 (Two Hundred and fifty thousand naira only) you can become as a Land owner in Lagos and Abuja. For more details, log unto http://www.silverspringpeninsula.com/ for more information. You can also call us at PERFECTION ASSETS & FOR MORE DETAILS:08089199531, omobolanle@pptysource.com or Yahoo Messenger: kolade2009@yahoo.com online 9am-3.30pm.

Seek lucidity!!! undecided undecided undecided
Re: 33 Million Nigerians Are Jobless - NBS by ministergh: 2:15pm On Sep 15, 2011
DO YOU WANT TO GAIN A NORMAL STUDENTSHIP UNIVERSITY ADMISSION IN GHANA'S UNIVERSITIES? If you want to pay about 700 cedis(about 1480 naira) a semester,there is an easy way. After completing Junior High Sch(JHS), look for admission in ghanaian SHS. Top class schools like prempeh college originally for ashanti royals only but now general, opoku ware school, yaa asantewaa girls, kumasi anglican SHS, saint louis girls,adisadel college, wesley girls, st.augustine, accra acadamy, legon pre-sec boy sch and many top schools with give that best wassce results and normal ghana university you want. You dont have to pay as international student. All the best.
Re: 33 Million Nigerians Are Jobless - NBS by MMM2(m): 2:17pm On Sep 15, 2011
dats 2 bad
Re: 33 Million Nigerians Are Jobless - NBS by ministergh: 2:21pm On Sep 15, 2011
DO YOU WANT TO GAIN A NORMAL STUDENTSHIP UNIVERSITY ADMISSION IN GHANA'S UNIVERSITIES? If you want to pay about 700 cedis(about 1480 naira) a semester,there is an easy way. After completing Junior High Sch(JHS), look for admission in ghanaian SHS. Top class schools like prempeh college originally for ashanti royals only but now general, opoku ware school, yaa asantewaa girls, kumasi anglican SHS, saint louis girls,adisadel college, wesley girls, st.augustine, accra acadamy, legon pre-sec boy sch and many top schools will give you that best wassce results and normal ghana university you want. You dont have to pay as international student. All the best.
Re: 33 Million Nigerians Are Jobless - NBS by Princek12(m): 2:22pm On Sep 15, 2011
Even let's for argument sake, take their statistic as reliable, I am even surprised that the unemployment rate is that low. How can the unemployment rate drop when there is no electricity to create jobs, and most of our businesses are now moving to Ghana?
Re: 33 Million Nigerians Are Jobless - NBS by splitnaija(m): 2:24pm On Sep 15, 2011
No comment
Re: 33 Million Nigerians Are Jobless - NBS by ikooko(m): 2:37pm On Sep 15, 2011
Let me assume that the matrix is correct and that the largest contribution to GDP is agriculture. Is it not just ideal to channel the unemployed towards agriculture and further improve the GDP.

The mad emphasis on certificate education has created unparalleled laziness and redundancy in our nation.
If government has refused to help us, cant we help ourselves. God has been so merciful to us this year with excessive rain.
Re: 33 Million Nigerians Are Jobless - NBS by Ayoobscom(m): 2:42pm On Sep 15, 2011
Long time my friend @uniteniger.

It's high time the graduates saw their-selves  as job creator and not job seekers

it's high time the youths saw their-selves as leaders of today and not leaders of tomorrow

It's really sad the scourge of unbridled corruption and lack of initiatives on the success of the youths in this country.

God help us !
Re: 33 Million Nigerians Are Jobless - NBS by dustydee: 3:10pm On Sep 15, 2011
if you sell recharge card, it means you have a job, so they may be right.
Re: 33 Million Nigerians Are Jobless - NBS by latola05(m): 4:11pm On Sep 15, 2011
This government has failed for so long, who do they think they are deceiving? how did they arrive at 33million?we need an answer. definitely, the number of umemployed graduates can't be less than 70million!!! Aba, I can conclude that the rest are greatly underemployed. Govt should wake up to their responsibilities as soon as possible.
Re: 33 Million Nigerians Are Jobless - NBS by pynkspyce: 4:14pm On Sep 15, 2011
guess the guys selling pure water & recharge card in traffic have "jobs"

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Charcoal production Supervisors Needed. 70K Salary, No Minimum Qualification / Bf Proposed To Me Yesterday And Lost His Job Today... Pls Help Me/us / I Just Missed A Job Due To Incapable Hands At Pruvia Consulting Limited,

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.