Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,628 members, 7,813,074 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 06:23 AM

New Research Could Pave Way For Human Male Couples To Have Children - Science/Technology - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / New Research Could Pave Way For Human Male Couples To Have Children (20062 Views)

Mass Extinction Caused By Volcanic Eruption Paved Way For Dinosaurs 233M Yrs Ago / Facebook Launches Tuned, A Messaging App For Couples / Nanotechnology And Sunlight Clear The Way For Better Visibility (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

New Research Could Pave Way For Human Male Couples To Have Children by naptu2: 12:59pm On Mar 09, 2023
Scientists create fertile eggs using only male mice cells - in breakthrough which could pave way for human male couples to have children

The research, led by Professor Katsuhiko Hayashi from Osaka University, was presented at the human gene-editing summit at the Crick Institute in London on Wednesday.

James Robinson
Sky News reporter @thejournojames
Thursday 9 March 2023 06:45, UK

Scientists say they have bred mice using eggs originating from male cells, in a breakthrough which could one day pave the way for human male couples to have children.

Researchers claim they successfully created the eggs by turning male XY chromosome pairs from the skin cells of male mice into female XX chromosome pairs.

This was achieved by converting the skin cells into stem cells, deleting the Y chromosomes, copying the x chromosomes and then pairing the copies with the original X chromosomes.

This allows the stem cell to be programmed to become an egg. The egg was then fertilised with sperm from another mouse.

Researchers say the technique was used to create seven mice pups, which appeared healthy and had a normal lifespan.

And they believe the technique could one day be used to allow human male couples to have children together using an egg created from their own cells.

It could also be used to treat Turner syndrome - a genetic condition that affects only females and happens when one of the X chromosome is missing or partially missing.

But Professor Katsuhiko Hayashi from Osaka University, who carried out the research and presented it at the human gene-editing summit at the Crick Institute in London on Wednesday, said it could take years before his technique is used successfully in human cells.

He also warned that it could be difficult to replicate with human cells, which require a longer period of cultivation to produce a mature egg.

Professor Mitinori Saitou, also speaking at the event, said the longer cultivation period raises the chances of abnormalities accumulating in the cells.

But Professor Hayashi said he was optimistic that the current problems could be overcome within ten years and that his team would now attempt to replicate the study with human cells.

Professor George Daley, of Harvard Medical School, who is not involved in the research, described it as "fascinating".

But he said using the technique on human cells would be "harder than the mouse".

The results of the study have now been submitted for publication in the scientific journal Nature.

https://news.sky.com/story/scientists-create-fertile-eggs-using-only-male-mice-cells-in-breakthrough-which-could-pave-way-for-human-male-couples-to-have-children-12829194?dcmp=snt-sf-twitter

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: New Research Could Pave Way For Human Male Couples To Have Children by naptu2: 1:04pm On Mar 09, 2023
Reactions.

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: New Research Could Pave Way For Human Male Couples To Have Children by Realists(m): 1:09pm On Mar 09, 2023
Impossible it's just another imagination.

44 Likes

Re: New Research Could Pave Way For Human Male Couples To Have Children by Wawelexy(m): 1:09pm On Mar 09, 2023
Western countries are the destroyer in guise of saviour of the world

53 Likes 4 Shares

Re: New Research Could Pave Way For Human Male Couples To Have Children by Authoreety: 1:09pm On Mar 09, 2023
Arrant Nonsense

41 Likes 3 Shares

Re: New Research Could Pave Way For Human Male Couples To Have Children by Klington: 1:09pm On Mar 09, 2023
Many are actually MAD and they have no idea.

45 Likes 1 Share

Re: New Research Could Pave Way For Human Male Couples To Have Children by FunkeAyorinde: 1:09pm On Mar 09, 2023
Hmm
Re: New Research Could Pave Way For Human Male Couples To Have Children by AdamuKD: 1:09pm On Mar 09, 2023
grin
I dey craze ni?
Wey succulent, soft, juicy and hairy toto full every nook and cranny, na him me I go go dey look my fellow man's dry nyash.
But Satan get power in some people's useless life sha
Tueh

47 Likes 1 Share

Re: New Research Could Pave Way For Human Male Couples To Have Children by Nuhskhut: 1:09pm On Mar 09, 2023
Mice=Man.That is nice.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: New Research Could Pave Way For Human Male Couples To Have Children by haybhi1(m): 1:09pm On Mar 09, 2023
Science. How I wish my continent embrace it as much as they did religion. God knows where we'd be today.

Lol XY × XY = XX or YY or XY. Phenotype looks good, but mostly nucleus and DNA are what sperm contribute in fertilization, where will the other organelles and especially mitochondria needed for energy be found abeg?

This will be tough to take place in human sha

PS
But e no go too dope sha because woman sweet o, is it the succulent soft two hanging oranges at the front, the needlessly pleasant heavy duty behind, the almost irrefutable pretty face full of manipulative weapons or the seductive shape that can spellbind any man... some even con sabi how to walk... chai Oluwa o, in fact, na wetin fit make me vote Peter Obi next election in 2027 be this!

24 Likes

Re: New Research Could Pave Way For Human Male Couples To Have Children by JOACHINpedro: 1:10pm On Mar 09, 2023
Oh no! shocked
Re: New Research Could Pave Way For Human Male Couples To Have Children by thesicilian: 1:10pm On Mar 09, 2023
This kind of research never ends well

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: New Research Could Pave Way For Human Male Couples To Have Children by Clairvoyancy: 1:10pm On Mar 09, 2023
End time signs

5 Likes

Re: New Research Could Pave Way For Human Male Couples To Have Children by puremaker7(m): 1:10pm On Mar 09, 2023
I would have been happy to be around in the next 100yrs, i want to check how this world will be like.

12 Likes

Re: New Research Could Pave Way For Human Male Couples To Have Children by LadySarah: 1:10pm On Mar 09, 2023
Great!
At least Nigerian men would finish up the 7 children they always want when their wives are tired at no 3😂😂

14 Likes 1 Share

Re: New Research Could Pave Way For Human Male Couples To Have Children by Femisol(m): 1:10pm On Mar 09, 2023
Professor Katsuhiko Hayashi the Universe will strength you to finalize and patent the findings.

Modern Nigerian girls are cutting short the lives of young men in Africa.

If you are broke during the Research, Nigerian men are ready to support.

I rest my case.

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: New Research Could Pave Way For Human Male Couples To Have Children by engrfaruq(m): 1:10pm On Mar 09, 2023
Oyibo always trying to promote rubbish

4 Likes

Re: New Research Could Pave Way For Human Male Couples To Have Children by Originality007: 1:10pm On Mar 09, 2023
shocked
Re: New Research Could Pave Way For Human Male Couples To Have Children by Jidenkem: 1:11pm On Mar 09, 2023
Smh in dismay
Re: New Research Could Pave Way For Human Male Couples To Have Children by teacherbim(f): 1:11pm On Mar 09, 2023
Authoreety:
Arant
Nonsense

4 Likes

Re: New Research Could Pave Way For Human Male Couples To Have Children by JohnPortar: 1:11pm On Mar 09, 2023
Interesting times ahead...

2 Likes

Re: New Research Could Pave Way For Human Male Couples To Have Children by DAYPEN: 1:11pm On Mar 09, 2023
Gay

1 Like

Re: New Research Could Pave Way For Human Male Couples To Have Children by LikeAking: 1:11pm On Mar 09, 2023
More Osama Bin Ladins.

Crazy!!!

1 Like

Re: New Research Could Pave Way For Human Male Couples To Have Children by Maynman: 1:12pm On Mar 09, 2023
Awesome.

2 Likes

Re: New Research Could Pave Way For Human Male Couples To Have Children by Shegzdave: 1:12pm On Mar 09, 2023
XecAsa:
Will women go extinct?
Are you gay or discovering your inner gender as the LGBTQ say? Cause I don’t see the need for your question cause it’s only a gay that’ll ask this question
Re: New Research Could Pave Way For Human Male Couples To Have Children by shantti(m): 1:12pm On Mar 09, 2023
Okay
Re: New Research Could Pave Way For Human Male Couples To Have Children by vastolord4(m): 1:12pm On Mar 09, 2023
Another reason why scientists should embrace God

3 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

New Drug Kills All Kinds Of Cancer — Human Testing Starts 2014 / Nigerian Builds Unusual Jet Car (VIDEO) / Time Travel : Real Or Fictional .. .?(how Possible) ?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 20
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.