Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,819 members, 7,817,391 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 11:24 AM

Nigeria’s Misery Index Rises By 12 Points - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nigeria’s Misery Index Rises By 12 Points (7425 Views)

Nigeria And The 2022 Misery Index / Nigerian States' Misery Index - June 2022 (by Zone) / Nigeria’s Manufacturing Index Rises For 22nd Consecutive Month (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigeria’s Misery Index Rises By 12 Points by psucc(m): 6:46am On Mar 10, 2023
Nigeria’s misery index has soared by 11.9 percentage points to 73.05, The PUNCH’s findings have shown.

The misery index is a measure of economic distress felt by everyday people, due to the risk of (or actual) joblessness combined with an increasing cost of living. The misery index is calculated by adding the seasonally adjusted unemployment rate to the inflation rate.

The misery index of a nation is a yardstick of economic distress. It was created by the economist, Arthur Okun.

Professor Steve Hanke of Johns Hopkins University further improved the model for measuring the misery index by defining it as a total summation of the inflation rate, unemployment rate, and interest rate and subtracting percentage change in real GDP per capita (year-on-year).

Since unemployment and inflation are both considered detrimental to one’s economic well-being, their combined value is useful as an indicator of overall economic health. The higher the index, the greater the misery felt by average citizens.

With an inflation rate of 15.92 per cent, an 11.5 per cent interest rate, an employment rate of 33.3 per cent, and a 3.6 per cent GDP growth (2021), Nigeria began 2022 with a misery index of 61.15 per cent.

However, multiple increases in the Monetary Policy Rate, (the latest of which took it up to 17.5 per cent in January 2023), have played a contributory role in causing a significant spike in Nigeria’s misery index.

Another factor that has been responsible for this spike is increased inflationary pressure. According to the National Bureau of Statistics, Nigeria’s inflation soared to 21.82 per cent in January 2023 as the country struggled to grapple with persistent fuel and naira crises.

January’s inflation rate was 0.48 percentage points higher than the 21.34 per cent that was recorded in December 2022, after inflation slowed down for the first time in eleven months.

The last factor that influenced the current misery index was the change in real GDP. According to data culled from Macrotrends, Nigeria’s GDP per capita currently stands at $2,066, with an annual growth rate of -0.43 per cent.

Based on Hanke’s model, Nigeria’s misery index now stands at 73.05, indicating an increase of 11.9 points.

Last year, Hanke who publishes a yearly misery index comprising 156 countries said Nigerians were more miserable in 2021 than they were in 2020.

According to the John Hopkins University economist, who analysed 156 countries by calculating their unemployment rates, inflation, prevailing lending rates and GDP growths, Nigeria went from 15th among the most miserable countries in the world’s ranking in 2020 to 11th in 2021.

The figures showed that Nigeria was the fourth most miserable country in Africa, only behind Sudan, Zimbabwe and Angola.

According to the report, the five least miserable countries were Brunei, Switzerland, China, Taiwan, and Japan. The United States ranked 95th, making it the 14th least miserable nation of the 108 countries on the table.

Speaking with The PUNCH, the Chief Executive Officer of the Centre for the Promotion of Private Enterprise, Muda Yusuf cited rising inflation as a key component of the misery index that has eroded the quality of life of the average Nigerian.

He urged the government to identify the key drivers of inflation and also find viable solutions to the unemployment crisis that has pushed millions of Nigerians below the poverty line.

Yusuf said, “One major variable in the misery index is inflation. If we can tackle inflation, that will help to reduce the misery index. Inflation usually leads to a decline in purchasing power, which makes people poorer, generally. Some of us have always argued that the worst enemy of the poor is inflation. So, we need to identify the key drivers of inflation, starting from the ways and means the financing of the Central Bank, which is high-powered money.”

Last year, the World Bank in its poverty assessment report said that sluggish growth, low human capital, labour market weaknesses, and exposure to shocks are holding Nigeria’s poverty reduction back.

According to the report, which brings together the latest evidence on the profile and drivers of poverty in Nigeria, as many as 4 in 10 Nigerians live below the national poverty line.

“It is clear that much needs to be done to help lift millions of Nigerians out of poverty, including boosting health and education, bolstering productive jobs, and expanding social protection,” said World Bank Country Director for Nigeria, Shubham Chaudhuri.
https://www.google.com/url?q=https://punchng.com/nigerias-misery-index-rises-by-12-points/&sa=U&ved=2ahUKEwj2l9n719D9AhVRT6QEHc4BDQAQFnoECAYQAg&usg=AOvVaw30_QiW2GDimHi4l9ughlpH

3 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Nigeria’s Misery Index Rises By 12 Points by ATEAMS: 7:05am On Mar 10, 2023
100 💯+..

For real .. hell on earth of the elite to enjoy

22 Likes

Re: Nigeria’s Misery Index Rises By 12 Points by KingSatan: 7:05am On Mar 10, 2023
Mysery Index cheesy cheesy cheesy

3 Likes

Re: Nigeria’s Misery Index Rises By 12 Points by Vivianat(f): 7:06am On Mar 10, 2023
grin please let the ipob miscreants and ESN terrorists plus UGM urchins wail o..... They wanted to scam us with Obi but was divinely defeated massively.... They must wail...

10 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Nigeria’s Misery Index Rises By 12 Points by Davidkings878: 7:06am On Mar 10, 2023
Naija my county

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria’s Misery Index Rises By 12 Points by haybhi1(m): 7:06am On Mar 10, 2023
I swear it's too apparent Nigerians are living in the gloomiest of circumstance. People are sad, thanks to President Buhari.

The day Buhari leaves as a President, I expect one week holiday and party from Nigerians.

Buhari impoverished lives, cripples economy, education and every sector you can imagine. The average Nigerian can't just afford a standard meal-a-day, I mean only one! Hand-to-mouth life becomes so synonymous with Nigerians. Each time I go out, numerous people walk to me to beg for what to eat with. In face of all these, Buhari doesn't bat an eye.

Ha nawa o

55 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Nigeria’s Misery Index Rises By 12 Points by BRATISLAVA: 7:06am On Mar 10, 2023
What an index.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria’s Misery Index Rises By 12 Points by clockwisereport: 7:06am On Mar 10, 2023
Nawao

Everything just dey scatter
Re: Nigeria’s Misery Index Rises By 12 Points by Oyindamolah: 7:06am On Mar 10, 2023
angry
The truth is most Nigeria are just existing and not living.
From Naira scarcity to
High cost of feeding and inflation
I had to shut down a department in my company and these staff got laid off.
No power, running on plant for almost 24hrs crazy PHCN bill, to taxes upon taxes not to mention unscrupulous government agents and agencies milking business dry.
The index should be 20%

54 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Nigeria’s Misery Index Rises By 12 Points by Rikidony(m): 7:06am On Mar 10, 2023
With Tinubu's presidency things ain't looking right or changing anytime sooner, Nigeria is finish, I just wanna get the money and get out of this hell hole.

28 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Nigeria’s Misery Index Rises By 12 Points by Kentuforchrist(m): 7:09am On Mar 10, 2023
Watever

Obi will be the president

Urchins can wail and gnash their teeth

17 Likes

Re: Nigeria’s Misery Index Rises By 12 Points by Vivianat(f): 7:09am On Mar 10, 2023
Kentuforchrist:
Watever

Obi will NEVER be the president

Ipob miscreants ESN terrorists and UGM urchins can wail and gnash their teeth
Fixed
Re: Nigeria’s Misery Index Rises By 12 Points by Brushstrokes20: 7:11am On Mar 10, 2023
The DIABOLIC DUO of buhari and emeFAILURE are Nigeria's WORST BLUNDERS ! undecided

Their long overdue WATERLOO is imminent!
The satanic, sadistic, Senile simpletons won't end well!

# NO PEACE FOR THE WICKED

13 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Nigeria’s Misery Index Rises By 12 Points by Nobody: 7:11am On Mar 10, 2023
By the time Bala Blu is done with urchins, Nigeria misery will be 200%

21 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigeria’s Misery Index Rises By 12 Points by psucc(m): 7:11am On Mar 10, 2023
This comment is one of the factors that contribute to the upward increase in the misery index.
Vivianat:
grin please let the ipob miscreants and ESN terrorists plus UGM urchins wail o..... They wanted to scam us with Obi but was divinely defeated massively.... They must wail...

10 Likes

Re: Nigeria’s Misery Index Rises By 12 Points by Nobody: 7:13am On Mar 10, 2023
everyone is talking, whor.e is also bleating.
Vivianat:

19 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigeria’s Misery Index Rises By 12 Points by Psalmistproject: 7:14am On Mar 10, 2023
At last the misery and shame tinubu has planned for Nigeria will return back to his family, friends and cronies.

NIGERIANS will have the last laugh.

11 Likes

Re: Nigeria’s Misery Index Rises By 12 Points by RichDad1(m): 7:18am On Mar 10, 2023
LP and lpob misery index. ✅
Re: Nigeria’s Misery Index Rises By 12 Points by Judolisco(m): 7:24am On Mar 10, 2023
E don pass o... No fuel, no cash, no light...

4 Likes

Re: Nigeria’s Misery Index Rises By 12 Points by maticar: 7:26am On Mar 10, 2023
Vivianat:
bigoted ash.awo dey comment too

wailing no go leave your destiny

17 Likes

Re: Nigeria’s Misery Index Rises By 12 Points by SmartPolician: 7:27am On Mar 10, 2023
I don hear another one - misery index. grin

I hope there's a prosperity index though

I know that APC members have no shame, because it's actually shameful to lead a country that keeps getting all the negative stats right.

15 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigeria’s Misery Index Rises By 12 Points by VeryWickedGoat: 7:29am On Mar 10, 2023
Finally explains why UyaiIncomparabl has been transferring aggression towards me recently.

3 Likes

Re: Nigeria’s Misery Index Rises By 12 Points by lereinter(m): 7:37am On Mar 10, 2023
From 2015 buhari govt came on board, it's has been hardship upon hardship

Even till less than 3 months to his handover, the maalu is not abating in increasing the burden of nigerians

It was 8 years of disaster

buhårï is a devil, surely he won't escape God's judgement on earth

11 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Nigeria’s Misery Index Rises By 12 Points by Nobody: 7:37am On Mar 10, 2023
What's 12 points? 1000 points

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria’s Misery Index Rises By 12 Points by Nobody: 7:43am On Mar 10, 2023
Vivianat:
We are wailing wailers grin
Re: Nigeria’s Misery Index Rises By 12 Points by Cantonese: 7:44am On Mar 10, 2023
Vivianat:

If you know what it means by misery, you"LL check yourself and the party that you support. Unfortunately, misery has mastered your likes. Rather than join decent youths like you who prefer a better nation, you choose to support those who have placed shackles over you and completely impoverished you.

Your problem is Obi, ESN and UGM. Na sorry be your name.

11 Likes

Re: Nigeria’s Misery Index Rises By 12 Points by Nobody: 7:45am On Mar 10, 2023
I was thinking the misery index was measured on Igbos that was predicted to wail from 2015-2019 then to 2023

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria’s Misery Index Rises By 12 Points by KanwuliaExtra: 7:47am On Mar 10, 2023
AFTER AJIBOLEEEEE TIEFNUBU is 'declared', the MISERABILITY index has gone waaaaaaaaaaaaaay up by 50 POINTS! grin
I have never seen NIGERIANS this miserable. . . inside and outside Nigeria.
Yet, he is the people's choice?
HMMMM. . . . .ANOTHER BANGER! cheesy

3 Likes

Re: Nigeria’s Misery Index Rises By 12 Points by illuminutty: 7:49am On Mar 10, 2023
It will soon get to 1000% with the selection by INEC of Amoda Ogunlere the senile old corrupt heroine trafficker as president.

The urchins will be the hardest hit because an average Obidient is gainfully and meaningfully doing something with their lives. Urchins are mostly political jobbers and touts.

5 Likes

Re: Nigeria’s Misery Index Rises By 12 Points by Faposky95: 7:51am On Mar 10, 2023
haybhi1:
I swear it's too apparent Nigerians are living in the gloomiest of circumstance. People are sad, thanks to President Buhari.

The day Buhari leaves as a President, I expect one week holiday and party from Nigerians.

Buhari impoverished lives, cripples economy, education and every sector you can imagine. The average Nigerian can't just afford a standard meal-a-day, I mean only one! Hand-to-mouth life becomes so synonymous with Nigerians. Each time I go out, numerous people walk to me to beg for what to eat with. In face of all these, Buhari doesn't bat an eye.

Ha nawa o

Za Cow 🐄
Thank God he doesn't come grazing my backyard.....
Re: Nigeria’s Misery Index Rises By 12 Points by AdamuKD: 7:54am On Mar 10, 2023
Vivianat:
Must you sound like a fool?

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

2023: Capital Importation amounted to $3.91bn, lowest since 2007 - Statisense / The Nairaland Movie And Its Cast / Meet Udom Gabriel Emmanuel - Profile of Akwa Ibom State Governor Elect

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 37
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.