Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,734 members, 7,813,414 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 12:02 PM

There Was No Lagos State In 1960 (HISTORY) - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / There Was No Lagos State In 1960 (HISTORY) (885 Views)

Charly Boy: How Can Tinubu Be 71 When He Was Arrested In 1960 In Chicago / Commander O.O Chiazor: Zik’s ADC Who Lowered British Union Jack In 1960 Dies / Jagaban: There Was No Lagos State In 1960 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

There Was No Lagos State In 1960 (HISTORY) by karnap(m): 4:07pm On Mar 11, 2023
There was no Lagos state in 1960. What we had was Lagos Federal Capital (former Lagos Colony).

That is the problem when leaders deliberately muddle things up for the young ones.

Lagos Capital of 1960 was Isale Eko, Victorial Island, Ikoyi and part of Apapa.

Ketu, Ojota, Somolu, Bariga, Yaba, Isolo, Ikeja, Alimosho, Ipaja, Ikorodu, Epe, Lekki, Ajah, Badagary, Mushin, Agege were all in Western State.

Lagos states was only created in 1967. And let me tell you the callous intention of what Gowon did in creating Lagos State.

Obafemi Awolowo created industrial estates in Ikeja, Isolo, Iganmu, Ilupeju and co when those places were in Western State.

Gowon simply merged the industrial estates Awolowo created with Lagos Colony to form Lagos State in 1967. Awolowo created those industrial estate with cocoa money.

Lagos State is made up of 5 districts of Ikeja, Badagry, Ikorodu, Lagos (Isale Eko) and Epe. Only one was Lagos Colony of 1914 to 1960. And that is Lagos Island. The remaining 4 districts were in Western Region.

So when those Ibos tell you their usual trash that they made Lagos or that Lagos was a former capital or that Lagos is no-man's land, please dont join them.

What took my dad to Lagos was the industrial estate Awolowo created, not the federal capital. Same is the story for over 90% of the people in the state today.

This picture was taken on Carther Bridge, the only bridge linking Lagos Colony to Western Region. It was after Ojukwu attempted to blow it up that Awolowo facilitated the building of Eko Bridge in 1975. Awolowo as the finance minister and de-facto number 2 to Gowon revolutionized the infrastructural development of the new Lagos state.

The generation of ungrateful Igbos contributed nothing, absolutely nothing to the development of Lagos. But they are the ones instigating you guys against your own people. Lagos fed them. _Amun ni ilu Eko._ It never dries, it feeds everybody.

Look around Lagos State today, all you see are the works of Awolowo, Jakande and Tinubu. After God who created Lagos strategically, Awolowo, Jakande and Tinubu made it what it is today. Know this and know peace.

7 Likes

Re: There Was No Lagos State In 1960 (HISTORY) by karnap(m): 4:09pm On Mar 11, 2023
The quest of Lagos is no man land is gaining ground.

But our fathers would be alive to guide us

God bless Lagos of today
One of the beautiful city in Africa.
God bless Nigeria

1 Like

Re: There Was No Lagos State In 1960 (HISTORY) by Ogbuefi2020: 4:14pm On Mar 11, 2023
If you remove the former capital territory the rest of Lagos State is shit hole

3 Likes

Re: There Was No Lagos State In 1960 (HISTORY) by 9gerian: 4:24pm On Mar 11, 2023
Thank you for this additional clarification.

There have been several clarifications in the past but some people just keep hoping to rewrite history, and get away with it. cheesy

karnap:

There was no Lagos state in 1960. What we had was Lagos Federal Capital (former Lagos Colony).

That is the problem when leaders deliberately muddle things up for the young ones.

Ketu, Ojota, Somolu, Bariga, Yaba, Isolo, Ikeja, Alimosho, Ipaja, Ikorodu, Epe, Lekki, Ajah, Badagary, Mushin, Agege were all in Western State.

Lagos states was only created in 1967. And let me tell you the callous intention of what Gowon did in creating Lagos State.

Obafemi Awolowo created industrial estates in Ikeja, Isolo, Iganmu, Ilupeju and co when those places were in Western State.

Gowon simply merged the industrial estates Awolowo created with Lagos Colony to form Lagos State in 1967. Awolowo created those industrial estate with cocoa money.

Lagos State is made up of 5 districts of Ikeja, Badagry, Ikorodu, Lagos (Isale Eko) and Epe. Only one was Lagos Colony of 1914 to 1960. And that is Lagos Island. The remaining 4 districts were in Western Region.

So when those Ibos tell you their usual trash that they made Lagos or that Lagos was a former capital or that Lagos is no-man's land, please dont join them.

What took my dad to Lagos was the industrial estate Awolowo created, not the federal capital. Same is the story for over 90% of the people in the state today.

This picture was taken on Carther Bridge, the only bridge linking Lagos Colony to Western Region. It was after Ojukwu attempted to blow it up that Awolowo facilitated the building of Eko Bridge in 1975. Awolowo as the finance minister and de-facto number 2 to Gowon revolutionized the infrastructural development of the new Lagos state.

The generation of ungrateful Igbos contributed nothing, absolutely nothing to the development of Lagos. But they are the ones instigating you guys against your own people. Lagos fed them. _Amun ni ilu Eko._ It never dries, it feeds everybody.

Look around Lagos State today, all you see are the works of Awolowo, Jakande and Tinubu. After God who created Lagos strategically, Awolowo, Jakande and Tinubu made it what it is today. Know this and know peace.

3 Likes

Re: There Was No Lagos State In 1960 (HISTORY) by alpharoyalty: 4:32pm On Mar 11, 2023
With the way things are going, I fear for every non hausa and Yorubas in Lagos.
I am not ibo but people call me ómó ibo because I am neither hausa or Yoruba.
My father was born in Lagos. I have lived all my life in Lagos. My brothers and sisters married Yorubas. Why can we not see ourselves more as Nigerians rather than this ethically induced hatred because of one politician interest.
Let us eschew tribalism and see ourselves as one.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: There Was No Lagos State In 1960 (HISTORY) by updatechange(m): 4:50pm On Mar 11, 2023
Awolowo pushed to stop Lagos being the FCT then might be cos he knew this “no man’s land” will thrive afterwards.

1 Like

Re: There Was No Lagos State In 1960 (HISTORY) by Creeper: 9:36pm On Mar 11, 2023
I think the biggest mistake was naming the state as ‘Lagos state’ and not separating ‘Lagos Island’ as an entity - from Lagos state. I guess that’s why myopic/ignorant people tend to conflate the two. It’s basically the same way ignorant people conflate ‘New York City’ with ‘New York State’.

Also, if ‘Lagos Island’ had been separated by name from ‘Lagos State’ - ‘Eleko of Eko’, who’s a Baale with a jurisdiction not bigger than Lagos Island (even Ikoyi and Victoria Island weren’t under him) wouldn’t have been upgraded to ‘Oba of Lagos’. And there won’t be silly arguments with Benin folks and Lagos.

Anyway, it’s water under the bridge. Those whose ancestry is in Lagos state know themselves and know where they’re from.

2 Likes

Re: There Was No Lagos State In 1960 (HISTORY) by DMerciful(m): 10:00pm On Mar 11, 2023
From the writeup, the main Lagos was built by Nigerians govt

1 Like

Re: There Was No Lagos State In 1960 (HISTORY) by Creeper: 10:03pm On Mar 11, 2023
DMerciful:
From the writeup, the main Lagos was built by Nigerians govt

Are you dumb, feigning it or trolling?

If that’s what you deduced from the write-up - you definitely need brain transplant because your brain isn’t processing anything.

2 Likes

Re: There Was No Lagos State In 1960 (HISTORY) by DMerciful(m): 12:44am On Mar 12, 2023
Your aggression shows you're denying the truth.

Why is Lagos not replicated in other SW states?
Creeper:

Are you dumb, feigning it or trolling?

If that’s what you deduced from the write-up - you definitely need brain transplant because your brain isn’t processing anything.

1 Like

Re: There Was No Lagos State In 1960 (HISTORY) by gidgiddy: 1:56am On Mar 12, 2023
karnap:

You know, its actually rare to find any Yoruba man who will admit that it was Gowon who abolished the Regions and created states, and not Ironsi. So its good that you are educating your brethren, they keep shouting decree 34 even though the decree abolished no Region

What I find really funny is that as small as Lagos State is, the smallest state in Nigeria in terms of size, some people want all Nigerians to believe that an even smaller part of Lagos was capital of Nigeria for over 70 years, and all other parts of Lagos did not benefit from this, but was built by Awolowo?

Really? grin grin grin grin
Re: There Was No Lagos State In 1960 (HISTORY) by raskymonojendor: 2:00am On Mar 12, 2023
alpharoyalty:
With the way things are going, I fear for every non hausa and Yorubas in Lagos.
I am not ibo but people call me ómó ibo because I am neither hausa or Yoruba.
My father was born in Lagos. I have lived all my life in Lagos. My brothers and sisters married Yorubas. Why can we not see ourselves more as Nigerians rather than this ethically induced hatred because of one politician interest.
Let us eschew tribalism and see ourselves as one.
You will be fine.

It's Chinedu Gbadebo that's trying to divide Lagosians.

Re: There Was No Lagos State In 1960 (HISTORY) by raskymonojendor: 2:05am On Mar 12, 2023
updatechange:
Awolowo pushed to stop Lagos being the FCT then might be cos he knew this “no man’s land” will thrive afterwards.
It has been thriving since the days of Awolowo. The push back did not start in recent times, and it's the same set of disrespectful people.

The Eastern vs Western delegate in the screen shot below.

Re: There Was No Lagos State In 1960 (HISTORY) by Jokerman(m): 3:16am On Mar 12, 2023
Tinubu boys everywhere on social media
Re: There Was No Lagos State In 1960 (HISTORY) by socialmediaman: 3:20am On Mar 12, 2023
If you have to write something with authority and be taken seriously, put your name, your academic qualifications, and things that will point to your authority on the subject.

Don’t just hide under some anonymous profile and write anything that comes to mind expecting to be taken seriously, unless of course you’re writing to degenerates who need your information to go and destroy hard working peoples’ shops

1 Like

Re: There Was No Lagos State In 1960 (HISTORY) by Volksfuhrer(m): 4:45am On Mar 12, 2023
Ogbuefi2020:
If you remove the former capital territory the rest of Lagos State is shit hole

Please explain.
Re: There Was No Lagos State In 1960 (HISTORY) by Volksfuhrer(m): 5:29am On Mar 12, 2023
socialmediaman:
If you have to write something with authority and be taken seriously, put your name, your academic qualifications, and things that will point to your authority on the subject.

Don’t just hide under some anonymous profile and write anything that comes to mind expecting to be taken seriously, unless of course you’re writing to degenerates who need your information to go and destroy hard working peoples’ shops

Much of what karnap wrote up there, I already knew in my primary school days. It's public knowledge.

If you find karnap's opening post very disturbing, you can do your research, refute his claims and set the records straight.

2 Likes

Re: There Was No Lagos State In 1960 (HISTORY) by princemillla(m): 6:42am On Mar 12, 2023
Volksfuhrer:

Much of what karnap wrote up there, I already knew in my primary school days. It's public knowledge.

If you find karnap's opening post very disturbing, you can do your research, refute his claims and set the records straight.

The normal way it should be not ranting grin grin
Re: There Was No Lagos State In 1960 (HISTORY) by karnap(m): 8:03am On Mar 12, 2023
socialmediaman:

What are you looking about me that you didn't see...what really is your point

(1) (Reply)

Muhammadu Inuwa Yahaya Wins Gombe Guber Election / PMB Urged To Sign Nigerian Peace Corps Bill / I Got This Message From Presidential Transition Committee

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.