Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,457 members, 7,816,070 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 02:20 AM

I Never Wanted To Become Vice President – Jonathan - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / I Never Wanted To Become Vice President – Jonathan (24539 Views)

Buhari & The Vampires Around Him Never Wanted Tinubu To Be President - Omatseye / Sule Lamido: Wike Made It Clear He Never Wanted To Become VP To Anyone / Tony Momoh: Obasanjo, Shagari, Yar’adua, Jonathan Never Wanted To Be President (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

I Never Wanted To Become Vice President – Jonathan by Omooba77: 12:21pm On Mar 16, 2023
Former President Goodluck Jonathan on Wednesday said he was opposed to becoming Nigeria’s vice president in 2007 but fate has another plan in store for him.

He said he almost cried when he became Nigeria’s number two citizen, adding that he never planned to occupy such a high office at that time.

Jonathan made the revelation on Wednesday when he paid a condolence visit to Bayelsa State Governor, Douye Diri, over the death of the governor’s father at Sampou Community in Kolokuma/Opokuma Local Government Area of the state.

“As a leader in the country who had the privilege of serving at the state level and national level, I can only advise that politics is not about that you must be there. If God wants you to be there, you will be there.

If it is not yet your turn to be there, you will not be there. When I became a vice president I almost cried, I never wanted to, but that was my destiny and I had to move.

“So, I advise people who are interested in these offices and their supporters to conduct themselves very well. They want to serve us, not to serve themselves.

“I always tell people that if you are so ambitious, then go into business. If you want to be in the state assembly and people don’t want you, fine, go and sleep. You want to be a governor and people don’t want you, to go and sleep or do business.

“But if you want to serve us as people then you must be humble and you will not kill us before you serve us. So, people must conduct themselves peacefully and if God wants them to win their elections, they will win their elections,” Jonathan said.

The former president was picked as a running mate to late President Musa Yar’Adua while he (Jonathan) was serving as Bayelsa State governor in 2007.

The duo who contested under the then-ruling Peoples Democratic Party won the election. Jonathan served in a vice president capacity for three years before Yar’Adua’s death.

He then assumed office as President of Nigeria and completed their tenure. He contested the 2011 election and was elected to serve for another four years.

However, Jonathan lost his re-election bid to the President, Major General Muhammadu Buhari (retd), of the All Progressives Congress in 2015.

https://punchng.com/i-never-wanted-to-become-vice-president-jonathan/

20 Likes 3 Shares

Re: I Never Wanted To Become Vice President – Jonathan by TossTos: 12:23pm On Mar 16, 2023
It was luck as usual..
Baba Obasanjo self talk am say it was luck that made him President of Nigeria

That luck will locate me , OP , Nairalanders and Nigerians at large .

208 Likes 10 Shares

Re: I Never Wanted To Become Vice President – Jonathan by menesta: 12:29pm On Mar 16, 2023
That moment when God is with you

13 Likes 4 Shares

Re: I Never Wanted To Become Vice President – Jonathan by Massiveglory: 12:34pm On Mar 16, 2023
If it is not yet your turn to be there, you will not be there. 

They should ring this bell inside tinubu ears.
The consequences of his desperation is a great fall that will be televised

47 Likes 1 Share

Re: I Never Wanted To Become Vice President – Jonathan by garykoeman: 12:40pm On Mar 16, 2023
Massiveglory:

If Obasanjo so much love the Igbo as he claim, he had the opportunity then to pick an Igbo man as yaradua vice.

29 Likes 2 Shares

Re: I Never Wanted To Become Vice President – Jonathan by Beebah321(f): 12:43pm On Mar 16, 2023
Nigerians dey suffer, u dey tell us story.
We don't give a fúck. angry

9 Likes

Re: I Never Wanted To Become Vice President – Jonathan by Penguin2: 12:54pm On Mar 16, 2023
Jonathan was never prepared for governance, that’s why he didn’t know what to do with power when it fell at his feet.

He ended up letting a gang up of power hungry criminals in APC bully him out of power and subject this country to the worst man made disaster of the 21st century.

That’s why he’s asking Peter Obi to accept the fraud perpetuated by INEC and congratulate Tinubu.

Jonathan should not let me be angry with him o😏.

67 Likes 7 Shares

Re: I Never Wanted To Become Vice President – Jonathan by abobote: 7:55am On Mar 17, 2023
Jonathan is talking too much these days, he should rest abeg.
We have more pressing issues at the moment

7 Likes

Re: I Never Wanted To Become Vice President – Jonathan by waynetee(m): 7:58am On Mar 17, 2023
Generally a great guy. I like him even though we have our political differences because i have always been #batified

11 Likes

Re: I Never Wanted To Become Vice President – Jonathan by OgaTheTop2: 11:09am On Mar 17, 2023
wink
Re: I Never Wanted To Become Vice President – Jonathan by N3TRAL: 11:09am On Mar 17, 2023
He was made Vice-president because he was the meekest Governor from the South. Obasanjo didn't want his successor to experience the pepper Atiku showed him. Jonathan even became a Governor by chance or maybe luck as his name suggests.

Goodluck Jonathan failed as President because he wasn't prepared for leadership. He's a good man without an inordinate ambition for power.

In 2019, a man who had never hoped to be president under APGA and swore never to leave APGA was selected vice presidential candidate of the PDP. What was he going to do? How long did he prepare for it?

It is my conviction that the most prepared should have it. Tinubu prepared since 1993 to save Nigeria as President. 30 years of training and planning will most likely produce a better result than 8 months of taking advantage of the "South East turn" and "Muslim Muslim Ticket".

82 Likes 9 Shares

Re: I Never Wanted To Become Vice President – Jonathan by bluefilm: 11:09am On Mar 17, 2023
The Clueless Joe is back!

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: I Never Wanted To Become Vice President – Jonathan by Rebuke: 11:09am On Mar 17, 2023
Really?
Re: I Never Wanted To Become Vice President – Jonathan by Emmastan291: 11:09am On Mar 17, 2023
He would have rejected the position...

The Hardship experienced during Jonathan's regime was lesser than that of Buhari's own...
Re: I Never Wanted To Become Vice President – Jonathan by IgOga(m): 11:10am On Mar 17, 2023
Welldone

Only God makes one a King......na wetin Obi nor wan accept be that...he still dey shout it is not the will of God.......

Some call it destiny

6 Likes

Re: I Never Wanted To Become Vice President – Jonathan by Prozico22(m): 11:10am On Mar 17, 2023
Sit down
Re: I Never Wanted To Become Vice President – Jonathan by Nayturalistic: 11:10am On Mar 17, 2023
Hmmm Jona Jona.. All them ‘I had only one shoe’ that year.. 😂
Re: I Never Wanted To Become Vice President – Jonathan by Gangster1ms: 11:10am On Mar 17, 2023
Weak man.. You're the reason why the evil APC gov't had their chance

6 Likes

Re: I Never Wanted To Become Vice President – Jonathan by Numerouno94(m): 11:10am On Mar 17, 2023
If only u had turned down the offer, if only, we won't hv seen shege under Buhari's APC. 🤔

4 Likes

Re: I Never Wanted To Become Vice President – Jonathan by DBossNG(m): 11:10am On Mar 17, 2023
Massiveglory:

Please let's keep this for them cos he will be utterly disgraced.

1 Like

Re: I Never Wanted To Become Vice President – Jonathan by southsouthking(m): 11:11am On Mar 17, 2023
Father of democracy, truncated by demons.
Re: I Never Wanted To Become Vice President – Jonathan by ChukwuObe: 11:11am On Mar 17, 2023
Massiveglory:

And dont you consider his statement was directed to you obidients and your Pandora that he should not labour in vain. When it is not your turn, no matter the amount of lies you peddle, you will still not get there

64 Likes 3 Shares

Re: I Never Wanted To Become Vice President – Jonathan by SenatePresdo(m): 11:11am On Mar 17, 2023
We know say Na humility makes them carry you.

You remain the most coward president in the history of Nigeria.

We still dey suffer your cowardice up till this moment.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: I Never Wanted To Become Vice President – Jonathan by FuckDModz: 11:12am On Mar 17, 2023
garykoeman:

If Obasanjo so much love the Igbo as he claim, he had the opportunity then to pick an Igbo man as yaradua vice.

Mugu.

Goodluck was a compensation package for ND militants and agitation.

Meanwhile, the “selection” was massively rigged.
Re: I Never Wanted To Become Vice President – Jonathan by Dialpad: 11:12am On Mar 17, 2023
Na so , you eventually became an accidental president.

From Ogogoro to Aso rock .

God bless Nigeria ...

2 Likes

Re: I Never Wanted To Become Vice President – Jonathan by SmallDick99(m): 11:12am On Mar 17, 2023
Nigeria's most humble man

1 Like

Re: I Never Wanted To Become Vice President – Jonathan by ITbomb(m): 11:12am On Mar 17, 2023
Providence
Re: I Never Wanted To Become Vice President – Jonathan by NgwalandAbia(m): 11:14am On Mar 17, 2023
Jona go and sit down, I visited your village two weeks ago it was in a sorry State...the main reason that Nigerians are suffering from today is because of your I don't care attitude, not ready for the job and act of a Sissy, you are a weak man and I supported buhari first term, together with my uncle uche ogah supporter we were only two that did so in the family.

After your defeat we thought buhari will do better and he failed...yes he did.. where is the economy and power generation?

We are now hoping that tunibu will surprise us and go home for peter obi in 4 years time.

God bless us all.

4 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

What Cost Jonathan Power In The End / Joy Ogwu Assumes UN Security Council Presidency Today / Mele Kyari On Refinery: Dangote Not Happy With NNPC Proposed Stake Acquisition

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 27
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.