Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,304 members, 7,954,222 topics. Date: Friday, 20 September 2024 at 02:40 PM

Jonathan Lied: "we Are Not Building A Shipyard In Nigeria”. - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Jonathan Lied: "we Are Not Building A Shipyard In Nigeria”. (1643 Views)

ATM Fee: CBN Lied To Us / Hyundai Denies Statement About Building A Shipyard In Bayelsa / Hyundai Heavy To Build $7billion Shipyard In Bayelsa (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Go Down)

Jonathan Lied: "we Are Not Building A Shipyard In Nigeria”. by Gbawe: 7:22pm On Sep 16, 2011
http://saharareporters.com/news-page/jonathan-lied-we-are-not-building-shipyard-nigeria%E2%80%9D-says-south-korea%E2%80%99s-hyundai-heavy-build

[b]Jonathan Lied: "We Are Not Building A Shipyard In Nigeria”, Says South Korea’s Hyundai Heavy Building Co.
[/b]Posted: September 16, 2011 - 18:47
Goodluck Jonathan
By SaharaReporters, New York

The government of Mr. Goodluck Jonathan faced an international embarrassment today as South Korea’ s Hyundai Heavy Industries Co. contradicted the government’s claim that it plans to build a $7 billion dollar shipyard in the country.

At a press briefing yesterday, President Jonathan said the company would build a multi-billion dollar shipyard in Brass, in his home state of Bayelsa state, capable of employing 2,000 local people.

Hours later, Hyundai Heavy spokesman Kim Moon-ju said Hyundai Heavy President Jai-Seong Lee had made no such comment during his trip to Nigeria. Apparently, the company would only build a small pipe-manufacturing factory in Bayelsa.

It is unclear where the monumental misunderstanding arose from, given that such agreements are usually prepared in writing. Yesterday, Reuters quoted Mr. Jai-Seong Lee as telling reporters at the presidential villa following his meeting with Jonathan: "My company is going to $7 billion in Nigeria in the building of a shipyard."

According to Reuters in that story, the company said while construction on the project would begin in 2012, it had already begun clearing the land in Bayelsa, and that the first phase would be completed by 2014.

President Jonathan, when he campaigned for office, made many promises to communities across Nigeria that they are now waiting for him to fulfill.

In a country where about 50 million Nigerians are unemployed, a lot of those promises are expected to bring much-needed employment relief, and jobs are among the new government’s priorities.

In a widely published newspaper article last week, entitled, “Where Are The Jobs?” a former Minister of the Federal Capital Territory, Malam Nasir El-Rufai, asserted that up to 70 million Nigerians are jobless.

In a very unattractive picture of the business and investment climate, he said, “It is easier to do business in the West Bank and Gaza than Nigeria.”
Re: Jonathan Lied: "we Are Not Building A Shipyard In Nigeria”. by aletheia(m): 7:37pm On Sep 16, 2011
@Gbawe: Really? Did you read what you posted or are you descending to the lowest common denominator? The very same SR article you quote says this:

Reuters quoted Mr. Jai-Seong Lee as telling reporters at the presidential villa following his meeting with Jonathan: "My company is going to $7 billion in Nigeria in the building of a shipyard."

According to Reuters in that story, the company said while construction on the project would begin in 2012, it had already begun clearing the land in Bayelsa, and that the first phase would be completed by 2014.

So Reuters attributes the source for this information to Hyundai's Mr Jai-Seong Lee. In what way is this "Jonathan lied?". Of course by phrasing the title of the original article on their website like a question SaharaReporters is being clever by half but one can see where this is going. You on the other hand apparently do not even have the cleverness to do likewise for your post's title reads "Jonathan Lied". You are being dishonest.

I thought you were one of the more objective commentators on the political section of this forum. . .but it would appear I am mistaken.  shocked
Re: Jonathan Lied: "we Are Not Building A Shipyard In Nigeria”. by aletheia(m): 7:52pm On Sep 16, 2011
And to prove just how silly your post is. . .here is the Reuters article.

UPDATE 1-Hyundai Heavy to build $7 bln shipyard in Nigeria
Thu Sep 15, 2011 5:56pm GMT

ABUJA, Sept 15 (Reuters) - South Korean group Hyundai Heavy Industries 009540.ks plans to build a $7 billion shipyard in Nigeria's oil region next year, the company's president said on Thursday.

The world's largest shipbuilder said while construction on the project would begin in 2012, it had already begun clearing the land in Bayelsa, the home state of President Goodluck Jonathan in the heart of the oil-rich Niger Delta wetlands.

"My company is going to $7 billion in Nigeria in the building of a shipyard," Jai-Seong Lee told reporters at the presidential villa following a meeting with Jonathan.

Lee said the first phase would be completed by 2014. The shipyard will provide services to oil companies operating in Africa's largest energy industry.

The Bayelsa state governor said the government would not invest in the project but it had given Hyundai the land and would build a road to the shipyard.

"For us, the gain is in the jobs they are going to create and the taxes they will be paying to us when they commence operating the shipyard after completion," said Timipre Sylva. (Reporting by Felix Onuah; Writing by Joe Brock; Editing by Dan Lalor)

http://af.reuters.com/article/nigeriaNews/idAFL5E7KF3QW20110915

See your life? While we have a verifiable source for the news that Hyundai plans to build a shipyard, where is SaharaReporter's verifiable source that "Jonathan Lied"?
Re: Jonathan Lied: "we Are Not Building A Shipyard In Nigeria”. by EkoIle1: 7:56pm On Sep 16, 2011
What are you going on and on about? Unfortunately for us, SK said no, and no means no . Obviously somebody stretched the truth.
Regardless , must odechukwu run his mouth about den say den say just to make us feel like he's doing something.I'm sure he didnt sing any document with SK about some project.

You can't keep fooling people all the time.
Re: Jonathan Lied: "we Are Not Building A Shipyard In Nigeria”. by aletheia(m): 8:47pm On Sep 16, 2011
Eko Ile:

Unfortunately for us, SK said no,  and no means no . Obviously somebody stretched the truth.
Regardless , must odechukwu run his mouth about den say den say just to make us feel like he's doing something.I'm sure he didnt sing any document with SK about some project.
^Where is the verifiable source of "SK said no"? Can't you be objective for once. You see referenced in full the Reuters report that quotes Mr Jai-Seong Lee. Let's see the actual news report that quotes Jonathan as well the actual news report that shows Hyundai saying no.

Why can't you use your brain this once? Must you insist on being this silly? Since you do not seem to understand my point, let me break it down for you:

If the SR article had been titled say: "Hyundai Heavy denies report of building a shipyard &c"; that is an example of objective news reporting but to proclaim in screaming headlines: "Jonathan Lied", only for one to read the article and find that Reuters a reputable news agency quotes Mr Jai-Leong Lee the president of Hyundai Heavy himself as actually saying: ' "My company is going to $7 billion in Nigeria in the building of a shipyard", Jai-Seong Lee told reporters at the presidential villa following a meeting with Jonathan.' No where in the body of the article do we find Jonathan himself saying this. . .so where is the "Jonathan Lied".

My conclusion is that at best you are being dishonest or disingenuous or at worst you are plainly moronic.
Re: Jonathan Lied: "we Are Not Building A Shipyard In Nigeria”. by EkoIle1: 9:48pm On Sep 16, 2011
Where is the verifiable source stating that the SK rep uttered what GEJ asserted?
Re: Jonathan Lied: "we Are Not Building A Shipyard In Nigeria”. by kulutempa: 10:24pm On Sep 16, 2011
aletheia:

^Where is the verifiable source of "SK said no"? Can't you be objective for once. You see referenced in full the Reuters report that quotes Mr Jai-Seong Lee. Let's see the actual news report that quotes Jonathan as well the actual news report that shows Hyundai saying no.

Why can't you use your brain this once? Must you insist on being this silly? Since you do not seem to understand my point, let me break it down for you:

If the SR article had been titled say: "Hyundai Heavy denies report of building a shipyard &c"; that is an example of objective news reporting but to proclaim in screaming headlines: "Jonathan Lied", only for one to read the article and find that Reuters a reputable news agency quotes Mr Jai-Leong Lee the president of Hyundai Heavy himself as actually saying: ' "My company is going to $7 billion in Nigeria in the building of a shipyard", Jai-Seong Lee told reporters at the presidential villa following a meeting with Jonathan.' No where in the body of the article do we find Jonathan himself saying this. . .so where is the "Jonathan Lied".

My conclusion is that at best you are being dishonest or disingenuous or at worst you are plainly moronic.

Here is your source sir. Hot and spicy.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/business/south-koreas-hyundai-heavy-says-not-building-nigerian-shipyard/2011/09/16/gIQAfShvWK_story.html

Bon appetit.
Re: Jonathan Lied: "we Are Not Building A Shipyard In Nigeria”. by Nobody: 11:10pm On Sep 16, 2011
SEOUL, South Korea — Hyundai Heavy Industries Co. is denying a statement from Nigeria’s presidential office that it plans to build a multibillion dollar shipyard in the country.

Hyundai Heavy spokesman Kim Moon-ju said Friday that the company has no such plan.

A statement late Thursday from President Goodluck Jonathan’s office said the shipyard would be built in Brass in Bayelsa state, his home region.

Kim said that Hyundai Heavy President Lee Jai-seong made no such comment during a trip to the country. Kim said the company is building a small pipe-manufacturing factory in Bayelsa.

Nigeria, Africa’s most populous nation, faces crushing unemployment and poverty. The government has promised other projects in the past that failed to materialize.

Copyright 2011 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

wtf is wrong with this  eejit in a hat? does he think he can run around telling fibs and whoppers on the world stage?

embarrassing dolt . this is what his sycophants have done to him - they have encouraged the spreading of bizarre and unnecessary falsehoods.

http://www.google.com.ng/search?q=Hyundai+Heavy++Nigerian+shipyard&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a
Re: Jonathan Lied: "we Are Not Building A Shipyard In Nigeria”. by dayokanu(m): 11:28pm On Sep 16, 2011
Retardeen has been living a lie since

What a M0ron
Re: Jonathan Lied: "we Are Not Building A Shipyard In Nigeria”. by Nobody: 11:44pm On Sep 16, 2011
just as the original aesops fable made its way to the home page so must this - lets hope the name will not metamorphose along the way
Re: Jonathan Lied: "we Are Not Building A Shipyard In Nigeria”. by Kobojunkie: 1:08am On Sep 17, 2011
Kim said that Hyundai Heavy President Lee Jai-seong made no such comment during a trip to the country. Kim said the company is building a small pipe-manufacturing factory in Bayelsa.
[size=13pt]
Nigeria, Africa’s most populous nation, faces crushing unemployment and poverty. The government has promised other projects in the past that failed to materialize.[/size]
really?? lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed sad sad sad
Re: Jonathan Lied: "we Are Not Building A Shipyard In Nigeria”. by Nobody: 1:16am On Sep 17, 2011
^^^^

past ke - forget the past we are in clear and present BS to our eyeballs

they are promising projects right now, only that most of their other promises don't involve conglomerates which have no choice but to set the record straight
Re: Jonathan Lied: "we Are Not Building A Shipyard In Nigeria”. by okadaman2: 1:20am On Sep 17, 2011
I still do not understand why this article has not hit the Homepage like the earlier LIE!

Seun I know You are awake o, at least I saw the threads you recently posted. So I'll assume that you chose to ignore the thread.

Put this up, let Nairalanders see how their government jumps into hasty conclusions like I'm probably doing right Now.  grin  embarassed
Re: Jonathan Lied: "we Are Not Building A Shipyard In Nigeria”. by aljharem3: 1:22am On Sep 17, 2011
okada_man:

I still do not understand why this article has not hit the Homepage like the earlier LIE!

Seun I know You are awake o, at least I saw the threads you recently posted. So I'll assume that you chose to ignore the thread.

Put this up, let Nairalanders see how their government jumps into hasty conclusions like I'm probably doing right Now.  grin  embarassed

LOL

[s]senu has always been working for PDP and GEJ[/s]

ask am o

the earlier thread was moved away undecided or deleted
Re: Jonathan Lied: "we Are Not Building A Shipyard In Nigeria”. by Johndoe100(m): 1:55am On Sep 17, 2011
Where are the Mods/ They should not allow a fake thread like this. angry
Re: Jonathan Lied: "we Are Not Building A Shipyard In Nigeria”. by EkoIle1: 3:14am On Sep 17, 2011
It's very unfortunate that we still have corrupt thinking and minded young nigerians supporting and defending these crooks, thieves and liars as if our sad 50 years of the same odious and currup leadership gave them any reason to trust these degenerated crooks and liars.

What have they done since our existence as a country to justify your support and defense for needless lies? Just what?

These clowns walk all over us and lie in our face as if we are sheeps with no soul. This is nothing but another national and international embarrassment. What's nexts? Diplomats taping or releasing transcript of diplomatic encounters to the press so that we don't lie to the rest of the world about their dealings with us?

The sadest part is the fact that this is lying at the very top, straight executive|presidential lying.

This is just another needless black eye for our pathetic nation.
Re: Jonathan Lied: "we Are Not Building A Shipyard In Nigeria”. by jason123: 3:38am On Sep 17, 2011
Eko Ile:

It's very unfortunate that we still have corrupt thinking and minded young nigerians supporting and defending these crooks, thieves and liars as if our sad 50 years of the same odious and currup leadership gave them any reason to trust these degenerated crooks and liars.

What have they done since our existence as a country to justify your support and defense for needless lies? Just what?

These clowns walk all over us and lie in our face as if we are sheeps with no soul.
This is nothing but another national and international embarrassment. What's nexts? Diplomats taping or releasing transcript of diplomatic encounters to the press so that we don't lie to the rest of the world about their dealings with us?

The sadest part is the fact that this is lying at the very top, straight executive|presidential lying.

This is just another needless black eye for our pathetic nation.

That also applies to Tinubu! They are all birds of a feather.
Re: Jonathan Lied: "we Are Not Building A Shipyard In Nigeria”. by EkoIle1: 4:13am On Sep 17, 2011
Must you people bore me with your silly, ignorant and redundant ramblings? What's your idiotic rubbish got to do with presidential lies?

Or you mean Tinubu also met with another or the same SK rep and lied to nigerians about his encounter just like GEJ?

Is Tinubu even a public official? I don't get some of you re.tards.

Find something better to do with your time instead of displaying the mushy side of your brain.
Re: Jonathan Lied: "we Are Not Building A Shipyard In Nigeria”. by OAM4J: 4:46am On Sep 17, 2011

(1)

Could This Be The Growth Catalyst Nigeria Needs To Create Employment? / Cost Of Bales Of Grade 2 Fairly Used Clothes / Foreign Used Imported Silent Generators In Lagos

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 47
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.