Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,740 members, 7,817,042 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 12:27 AM

I Have Finally Given Up On Nigeria - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / I Have Finally Given Up On Nigeria (722 Views)

Breaking News: Senate President, Ahmed Lawan Finally Given Ticket For Senate / Air Strikes In Orlu: "They Have Finally Brought The War Upon Us" - IPOB / Soyinka: FG Has Given Up On Fight Against Corruption (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

I Have Finally Given Up On Nigeria by nairalee(m): 9:23am On Mar 19, 2023
I'm someone that always believed that Nigeria will soon change for good but this election has proven otherwise. It's not even about leadership anymore. From the leadership of the country to the smallest citizen, there is no hope because the leaders didnt come to each polling unit to rig elections. They used fellow suffering Nigerians like you and I. So what's the point? Who are we fighting against?

I want to use this medium to tender my unreserved apology to all my friends that I convinced to vote during this last election. I personally convinced alot of my friends that

1) Votes Count
2) INEC is an independent umpire
3) The agitation for good governance will be reflected in the ballots
4) BVAS is the magic wand to eliminate rigging

However, I am embarrassed as most of my friends went out of their ways to queue for days to register and to get their pvc, at the end of the day most of them were intimidated, harassed, beaten, cheated and disenfranchised just because they wanted to vote in their own fatherland. Overall, INEC just made a fool of over 200 million Nigerians and the Chairman is still moving around freely and shinning teeth. Is this a country?

Never in my life would I have believed that there would be a time where an entire ethnic group will be harrassed out of voting in an entire state as exposed as Lagos.

Now I'm wondering why we blacks keep on shouting against racism in a white man's land and xenophobia in other countries when a fellow citizen just few metres away is regarded as a lesser human in his own country. Trust me we Nigerians are even worse than the white racist cos we aren't even superior in anyway to our fellow countrymen yet we still exhibit such barbaric attitude.

I've never been so broken and disappointed. Let me just use my last energy to concentrate on making my life and that of my family and loved ones better. The rest is left in God's hands.

6 Likes

Re: I Have Finally Given Up On Nigeria by AdaojoTheUrchin: 9:24am On Mar 19, 2023
The military gave us the constitution that we are killing to defend today, so why demonizing the military?
The military handed over to politicians who asked for democracy. Yet these 'quasi-democrats' cannot manage a simple election that other democratic countries organise without rancour and rigging. They claim to be democrats but threaten other Nigerians from freely voting their choice. They kill, they maim, they mutilate results and steal people's votes.

Nigeria's election swallows 300 billion Naira every four years, voting is done on a flimsy paper and fake results are manually mutilated and written in the bedroom of politicians after collation at the polling stations. Are the voters who stand in the rain and sunshine that worthless?

Political thugs are everywhere threatening and killing people who want to vote their choice. How is that different from the Liberian war where people's hands were cut off to prevent them from voting?

The Solution
In the event that judiciary becomes too cowardly to call a spade a spade and end rubber-stamppimg this open electoral heist that has negated every norms of democratic process, the military must must not hesitate to save the country from being thrown into anarchy by politicians who do not believe in the rights of others in a free democracy.

How will they do this? An interim government should take charge and fix the electoral system to ensure that minimal or zero human interference is allowed in our electoral system.

A 100% electronic voting system is what is needed now. Voters get accredited with their voter's card ONLY ONCE, and then vote in a paperless electronic manner, the votes are recorded and sent directly to the server and seen on the INEC IREV in REAL-TIME.
It has to be transparent, so that losers and winners will agree with the results.

Rigging of elections usually happens between when ballots are counted and when the votes are collated by INEC. That is usually when the results are mutilated or destroyed and the fake ones recorded..That should be stemmed in the tide by e-polling and e-collation and e-transmission of votes. A lot of money will be saved from printing worthless ballot papers that can be snatched anytime by political thugs trying to subvert the process.

Politicians who have vested interests cannot give us a perfect electoral system. When the debate for BVAS and IreV was brought up on the floor of the Senate last year, many sitting politicians afraid of loss of popularity back home, opposed the inclusion of clause 'INEC shall transmit electronically', this has given INEC and politicians the wherewithal to claim 'there is no network, we will transmit the votes when we get to the office', allowing the sustenance of an electoral system that is fraught with heavy irregularities.

Videos abound of INEC presiding officials who have been bribed by politicians telling the voters 'we will not upload until we get to the office', of course we know that once they get to their office (or the sitting rooms of politicians), the results are mutilated or changed outrightly. That's an insult to the Nigerian voters.

No politician will allow such reform to happen, not even Tinubu will let that happen. Only a dispassionate interim military government can institute an electoral reform that will be fair to all and hand it over to Nigerians.
We need to consider this a surgical procedure that will strengthen true democracy in the aftermath.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: I Have Finally Given Up On Nigeria by Bahamas95(m): 9:27am On Mar 19, 2023
OP you're not alone. cheesy

Everything about Nigeria annoy me. The masses are the major problem of Nigeria, not the leaders. The wickedness I see Nigerians exhibit everyday is second to none. This Naira scarcity exposed many of them that have been pretending.

I always advice anybody that has the opportunity to japa to do that without hesitation....... Nigeria is beyond redemption.

4 Likes

Re: I Have Finally Given Up On Nigeria by Brittbreaker: 9:28am On Mar 19, 2023
U are just realizing how bad this country has gone. As for me, I didn't even bother to come out for any voting process because I already knew what was going to happen becos it was already clear to me that this election cannot be free and fair. Just look at the way people are selling their right for ordinary money that won't last a week in their hand forgetting that the future holds much more than that small cash given to them, also neglecting the future of their children. This Country is truly beyond redemption. It's not a curse, it's a fact. The CHANGE we all desire in this country starts with us and when we realise that, then it will be easy to elect the right leaders that will govern this nation well.
IT IS WELL....

3 Likes

Re: I Have Finally Given Up On Nigeria by BeardedmeatR(m): 9:32am On Mar 19, 2023
Op, calm down.

The struggle to liberate Nigeria never promised to be an easy venture.

We keep moving..

1 Like

Re: I Have Finally Given Up On Nigeria by stonemasonn: 9:33am On Mar 19, 2023
This election you're complaining about is one step better than the previous one. We're getting there gradually.

4 Likes

Re: I Have Finally Given Up On Nigeria by Nobody: 9:41am On Mar 19, 2023
If you can listen to MNK Tapes even the one the interview he had with dele momudu.

You will think he predicted all of this.

1 Like

Re: I Have Finally Given Up On Nigeria by haffaze777(m): 9:49am On Mar 19, 2023
But this election is free,fair and transparency at least in Lagos,Ogun and Oyo state.

1 Like

Re: I Have Finally Given Up On Nigeria by adekolaelect(m): 9:53am On Mar 19, 2023
nairalee:
I'm someone that always believed that Nigeria will soon change for good but this election has proven otherwise. It's not even about leadership anymore. From the leadership of the country to the smallest citizen, there is no hope because the leaders didnt come to each polling unit to rig elections. They used fellow suffering Nigerians like you and I. So what's the point? Who are we fighting against?

I want to use this medium to tender my unreserved apology to all my friends that I convinced to vote during this last election. I personally convinced alot of my friends that

1) Votes Count

However, I am embarrassed as most of my friends went out of their ways to queue for days to register and to get their pvc, at the end of the day most of them were intimidated, harassed, beaten, cheated and disenfranchised just because they wanted to vote in their own fatherland. Overall, INEC just made a fool of over 200 million Nigerians and the Chairman is still moving around freely and shinning teeth. Is this a country?

Never in my life would I have believed that there would be a time where an entire ethnic group will be harrassed out of voting in an entire state as exposed as Lagos.

Now I'm wondering why we blacks keep on shouting against racism in a white man's land and xenophobia in other countries when a fellow citizen just few metres away is regarded as a lesser human in his own country. Trust me we Nigerians are even worse than the white racist cos we aren't even superior in anyway to our fellow countrymen yet we still exhibit such barbaric attitude.

I've never been so broken and disappointed. Let me just use my last energy to concentrate on making my life and that of my family and loved ones better. The rest is left in God's hands.
You are better to stop wailing and return back to your formal believed .
Re: I Have Finally Given Up On Nigeria by Slynation(m): 10:24am On Mar 19, 2023
We dey together brother...!! Thunder gba buo anything election in Nigeria from now on. It's really not worth the stress!!
Re: I Have Finally Given Up On Nigeria by XY23: 10:33am On Mar 19, 2023
nairalee:

1) Votes Count

I gave up on February 25th when INEC murdered democracy and some people celebrated it. Make we dey manage the country like that. If e tire you, jump ship. I will never join anyone canvassing for Change again neither will I convince anyone. The reason is because at some point we have contributed to Nigeria's woes, some in 2015, others in 2023. The cycle continues
Re: I Have Finally Given Up On Nigeria by tunjijones(m): 6:56pm On Oct 24, 2023
You think it's wrong as they want to probe the expenses, then what should be done?
Re: I Have Finally Given Up On Nigeria by StarRiderr: 11:02pm On Oct 24, 2023
How do you expect this Country to work a Country where tribalism and religious bigotry is the order of the day my brother I will be the last Idiot to encourage anyone again to go and register for voters Card I did that before I even funded some of my friends leaving in neighboring African countries thier expenses to make sure they vote me wey dey talk and encourage people they gree make I vote that day make una forget this mess called a Country

(1) (Reply)

Election Of Deaths: Rivers, Benue Lead As 27 People Die During Gov'ship Election / ASIWAJU Named On Times' Influential List Despite Drug Allegations / BREAKING: Soyinka Never Condemned Tinubu's Forged Certificates Or Drug Crimes

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 42
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.