Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,912 members, 7,821,178 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 09:20 AM

Agberos Hijack Onitsha As Helpless Traders, Motorists Groan - Politics (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Agberos Hijack Onitsha As Helpless Traders, Motorists Groan (28236 Views)

Agberos Hijack Onitsha As Helpless Traders, Motorists Groan / Peter Obi Lands In Onitsha As Crowd Gathers (Pictures) / Unknown Gunmen Storm Onitsha As Residents Hail Them (Video) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Agberos Hijack Onitsha As Helpless Traders, Motorists Groan by longifilis(m): 10:35am On Apr 01, 2023
MasterTeeUSA:

https://punchng.com/ndi-agbero-hijack-onitsha-as-helpless-traders-motorists-groan/?amp

They stole my phone at Onitsha, I lost some valuables as well. Bullshit

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Agberos Hijack Onitsha As Helpless Traders, Motorists Groan by tobolos(m): 10:35am On Apr 01, 2023
I told a friend yesterday that Lagos Agbero still dey learn work compared to the ones in the East. I can't forget the day my girlfriend (now wife) was forcefully put in a vehicle at Onitsha. I was just helpless that day. So many ugly experiences I can't forget in a lifetime.

Those condemning Lagos Agbero are myopic in their sense of judgement probably they don't go beyond their zones.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Agberos Hijack Onitsha As Helpless Traders, Motorists Groan by Godsonkemz(m): 10:36am On Apr 01, 2023
Government is the course and sponsor of all these agbero illegal operations in the name of revenue collection. How do you lease a revenue franchise to a staunch cultist/agbero who employ fellow agbero to make sure he recover with excess profit the money he paid to government to secure such position.
Re: Agberos Hijack Onitsha As Helpless Traders, Motorists Groan by bukkysam(f): 10:38am On Apr 01, 2023
sparko1:

If I hear, trust me it's worse, they even use road block, professional wheeled cart to block road, carry anything to the east, the money you will spend to settle boys is usually different.

In Lagos, once you carry mopol, you are good to go, over there, even with mopol, you will pay, or they will set your truck on fire.

Anytime I am taking truck there, we will have to wait till 10pm or sometimes 12am so many will be off the road.
Ah that is terrible
Re: Agberos Hijack Onitsha As Helpless Traders, Motorists Groan by Belleful: 10:42am On Apr 01, 2023
I use to think warri agberos were brutal, not until I started plying warri to Onitsha. Those agberos have degrees in wickedness. Any street u drive pass, u pay. if ur car boot open small, u pay. If u re in Keke and carry ur bag on ur lap, u pay. If u carry ur load on ur head, u pay. I have witness were some lorry drivers run over some of them. I have see tipper drivers block the express road to protest. I have never seen were u pay to drive pass any street in all the places I have travel to. Only in Onitsha. Ndi agberos I hail de

5 Likes

Re: Agberos Hijack Onitsha As Helpless Traders, Motorists Groan by harmonyglobal: 10:42am On Apr 01, 2023
I said this sometime ago nobody believed.....they were all blinded by sentiments and focusing on Lagos meanwhile many igbos had not been there to witness it.

3 Likes

Re: Agberos Hijack Onitsha As Helpless Traders, Motorists Groan by Obaaderemi2: 10:43am On Apr 01, 2023
richie240:

"nye m ego m" (give me my money)
Nye m ego m. cheesy

1 Like

Re: Agberos Hijack Onitsha As Helpless Traders, Motorists Groan by harmonyglobal: 10:43am On Apr 01, 2023
When u encounter them u would know they are way worse than Lagos

3 Likes

Re: Agberos Hijack Onitsha As Helpless Traders, Motorists Groan by olaoye2008: 10:43am On Apr 01, 2023
Na Lagos b d problem to them.
They want to take Lagos.
Shameless people.

2 Likes

Re: Agberos Hijack Onitsha As Helpless Traders, Motorists Groan by starz100: 10:50am On Apr 01, 2023
Afamed:
For those that have been to Anambra. The headquarter of Agberos is in Onitsha. Straight from headbridges, to Uga junction, to Plastic market , down to Asaba park, Lagos park, Nitel, upper Iweka, down flyover, Owerri road, Tarzan. Biafran market

With your travelling bag in your hand, they will harass you , from junction to junction. From one ticket boy to another
But these are same people who will be quick to burn a phone thief alive,yet they themselves are not different.Government so much believes that without the agberos , they can't collect their revenue, which is a big lie.The most painful aspect of this is that, the government that installed the agberos cannot regulate or control their activities.Governance is not all about revenue generation, but all about peace, security, prosperity and development
Immediately they stop you, they begin to ransack your belongings,

Re: Agberos Hijack Onitsha As Helpless Traders, Motorists Groan by lildush(m): 10:53am On Apr 01, 2023
Hmmmm this is wat tinubu want to turn Nigeria into... A den of thugs and theives... God will not allow dat
Re: Agberos Hijack Onitsha As Helpless Traders, Motorists Groan by richie240: 10:54am On Apr 01, 2023
IranianSea:

Which kind language be igbo self. A single letter mean something? ( M = me or my ? )
Lolz.... More like apostrophe: "Nye'm Ego'm"
Yes, 'me' or 'my'
Re: Agberos Hijack Onitsha As Helpless Traders, Motorists Groan by joe1309: 10:54am On Apr 01, 2023
MasterTeeUSA:

https://punchng.com/ndi-agbero-hijack-onitsha-as-helpless-traders-motorists-groan/?amp
all this yeye people from southeast nor go ever talk about am bcuz na Lagos be their problem.

1 Like

Re: Agberos Hijack Onitsha As Helpless Traders, Motorists Groan by grandstar(m): 10:56am On Apr 01, 2023
You would have thought there were no touts in Igboland! Agbero has always been treated as a Yoruba affair.

The Agberos can be tamed. When Buba Marwa was the military administrator of Lagos, he made sure they disappeared. They only resurfaced a day before the handover to civilian rule on 28th of May 1999.
Re: Agberos Hijack Onitsha As Helpless Traders, Motorists Groan by ruggedboy01: 10:59am On Apr 01, 2023
Everyone sharing their imaginary experience lol😁😄😃😀
Re: Agberos Hijack Onitsha As Helpless Traders, Motorists Groan by delpee(f): 11:01am On Apr 01, 2023
grandstar:
You would have thought there were no touts in Igboland! Agbero has always been treated as a Yoruba affair.

The Agberos can be tamed. When Buba Marwa was the military administrator of Lagos, he made sure they disappeared. They only resurfaced a day before the handover to civilian rule on 28th of May 1999.

I wonder how they resurfaced and quickly grew wings after Marwa left. Lagos was so peaceful when he reoriented and resettled most of them. They were renamed "Good boys and girls" then. grin

2 Likes

Re: Agberos Hijack Onitsha As Helpless Traders, Motorists Groan by History555: 11:04am On Apr 01, 2023
Irete26:
Eastern Agbero is worse, visited that part of Nigeria about eight different times and my experience hasn’t been palatable, to me their thugs are worse than Lagos. I’m talking from experience!

Na true. Suddenly u hve gone from swearing that u can neva step foot in the east to i hve visited many times. Suddenly every yoruba man that has posted a comment hve visited onitsha.

1 Like

Re: Agberos Hijack Onitsha As Helpless Traders, Motorists Groan by History555: 11:05am On Apr 01, 2023
Belleful:
I use to think warri agberos were brutal, not until I started plying warri to Onitsha. Those agberos have degrees in wickedness. Any street u drive pass, u pay. if ur car boot open small, u pay. If u re in Keke and carry ur bag on ur lap, u pay. If u carry ur load on ur head, u pay. I have witness were some lorry drivers run over some of them. I have see tipper drivers block the express road to protest. I have never seen were u pay to drive pass any street in all the places I have travel to. Only in Onitsha. Ndi agberos I hail de

Which nollywood movie is this because am interested
Re: Agberos Hijack Onitsha As Helpless Traders, Motorists Groan by focus2727(m): 11:08am On Apr 01, 2023
richeeyo:
Na Lagos be their headache
Abi na Tinubu boys
agbero in aba and onitsha are worst then Lagos

2 Likes

Re: Agberos Hijack Onitsha As Helpless Traders, Motorists Groan by History555: 11:08am On Apr 01, 2023
tobolos:
I told a friend yesterday that Lagos Agbero still dey learn work compared to the ones in the East. I can't forget the day my girlfriend (now wife) was forcefully put in a vehicle at Onitsha. I was just helpless that day. So many ugly experiences I can't forget in a lifetime.

Those condemning Lagos Agbero are myopic in their sense of judgement probably they don't go beyond their zones.

Chk ur past comments, u said u rather die than step foot in the barren east, that lgbo women are ugly. Today u are now claiming to hve visited and hve lgbo wife. The way Yoruba man cooks up story to win online arguments is incredible

Re: Agberos Hijack Onitsha As Helpless Traders, Motorists Groan by History555: 11:09am On Apr 01, 2023
longifilis:

They stole my phone at Onitsha, I lost some valuables as well. Bullshit

But u said in ur past comments u hve neva been to the east.

1 Like

Re: Agberos Hijack Onitsha As Helpless Traders, Motorists Groan by pongwa(m): 11:13am On Apr 01, 2023

1 Like

Re: Agberos Hijack Onitsha As Helpless Traders, Motorists Groan by Belleful: 11:14am On Apr 01, 2023
History555:

Which nollywood movie is this because am interested

Written and directed by history555.
Distributed nationwide by history555.
Watch out for part 2

1 Like

Re: Agberos Hijack Onitsha As Helpless Traders, Motorists Groan by OmoFiditi: 11:15am On Apr 01, 2023
MasterTeeUSA:
I was speaking to someone about this issue of Agberos, and I told the person...Governance is like whac-a-mole. If you solve one problem, another rises. That is why I was praying GRV does not win because he would have turned Lagos into chaos...even those in Lekki would not be able to stay clear of major issues.

If you eliminate Agberos, what will you do with thousands of guys? Retrain then...some of them are drug addicts and drunkards...there is a reason they are doing agberos and I doubt they can do any formal education. What about artisan work? Have you seen some of these guys..you think they will learn plumbing or agriculture and wait for harvest and yields or for someone to call them for work before they can eat?

Lock them up in Jail...how many prisons will you build, how many staff, cost of feeding them and getting all of them through the court systems would be a major disaster.

So should we just accept this norm...NO

1. You normalize them like Lagos agreed to do...Lagos should print the tickets

2. Allow these guys to sell them - maybe 500 tickets @ N1000 = N50,000; Private vehicles can pay N100 per day...that is N2k - N3k per month and it will be used to pay for people to maintain roads, clean gutters, and so on.

3. Pay them daily - like N5000 (N100,000 weekdays) which is 10% of the total take in and their Ogas will take N2500 (5%) per person

4. Create a hierarchy of leadership - One oga will have like 10 guys under in covering major areas...so Oga will cash in N500,000 monthly

5. This process for this Team will generate N42,500 per person (85%) which is N8.5million monthly (Salary N1.5m from Revenue intake of N10m monthly) for one area...Lagos can easily have 500 of these areas raking in N5billion and N60 billion annually. Anambra, Onitsha can do the same and the money will be channels to fix roads, drainages and revamp the markets.

6. Give or take the Govt can play with the figures and bring in 70-75% and increase the payment for Oga or boys or Ticket sale

7. You can also sell Morning, Afternoon, and Evening and use different sets of boys so you generate 3 times the revenue, multiply the employment by 3 and use 2 sets of Ogas or Same...

8. They will have distinct wears that they pick up at the Oga in the morning, afternoon or evening and they can switch them so it will be difficult for copycats to make them or have companies that will supply them these wears with random colors weekly.

9. These will eliminate the fake agberos and also provide employment chain for the uniform or vest suppliers...they will also take care of the dry cleaning needs.

10. Youths need employment..money must flow...you need to cater to different types of people. Eliminating them is not the answer.

I just looked up your profile, you are one Thiefnubuu's urchinrudeens trying very hard to justify and intellectuallize the agbero anomaly and oddity because you reap from its bounty. You are the problem of Nigeria in 'Flesh and blood'. There is no working society where sociopaths are given the kind of latitude you give agberoes. Yorubaland exported the agberoism menace to other parts of the country, especially where it was hitherto alien.

The word 'agbero' is of yoruba origin. I doubt other tribes have a native nomen for such dastardity.

You type needs to be neutralised and suffocated if Nigeria must make headway. You are the ones holding this country by its jugular.
Re: Agberos Hijack Onitsha As Helpless Traders, Motorists Groan by OmoFiditi: 11:16am On Apr 01, 2023
StOla:
Tinubu is to blame as usual.

They leave their erosion problems in the East while worrying about potholes in Lagos.

Owo mi da?

Someone should translate it to Igbo.

Is agbero an Igbo word or a Yoruba word?
Re: Agberos Hijack Onitsha As Helpless Traders, Motorists Groan by soil4soil(m): 11:19am On Apr 01, 2023
It is a lie, so there are agberos in Anambra State.
I thought it is only in Lagos State that we have agberos.

I hope Obi and his supporters don't know that there are agberos in every states sorry Tinubu that import agberos to Anambra State and other states.

1 Like

Re: Agberos Hijack Onitsha As Helpless Traders, Motorists Groan by Invitationn: 11:27am On Apr 01, 2023
MasterTeeUSA:
I was speaking to someone about this issue of Agberos, and I told the person...Governance is like whac-a-mole. If you solve one problem, another rises. That is why I was praying GRV does not win because he would have turned Lagos into chaos...even those in Lekki would not be able to stay clear of major issues.

If you eliminate Agberos, what will you do with thousands of guys? Retrain then...some of them are drug addicts and drunkards...there is a reason they are doing agberos and I doubt they can do any formal education. What about artisan work? Have you seen some of these guys..you think they will learn plumbing or agriculture and wait for harvest and yields or for someone to call them for work before they can eat?

Lock them up in Jail...how many prisons will you build, how many staff, cost of feeding them and getting all of them through the court systems would be a major disaster.

2. Allow these guys to sell them - maybe 500 tickets @ N1000 = N50,000; Private vehicles can pay N100 per day...that is N2k - N3k per month and it will be used to pay for people to maintain roads, clean gutters, and so on.

3. Pay them daily - like N5000 (N100,000 weekdays) which is 10% of the total take in and their Ogas will take N2500 (5%) per person

4. Create a hierarchy of leadership - One oga will have like 10 guys under in covering major areas...so Oga will cash in N500,000 monthly

5. This process for this Team will generate N42,500 per person (85%) which is N8.5million monthly (Salary N1.5m from Revenue intake of N10m monthly) for one area...Lagos can easily have 500 of these areas raking in N5billion and N60 billion annually. Anambra, Onitsha can do the same and the money will be channels to fix roads, drainages and revamp the markets.

6. Give or take the Govt can play with the figures and bring in 70-75% and increase the payment for Oga or boys or Ticket sale

7. You can also sell Morning, Afternoon, and Evening and use different sets of boys so you generate 3 times the revenue, multiply the employment by 3 and use 2 sets of Ogas or Same...

8. They will have distinct wears that they pick up at the Oga in the morning, afternoon or evening and they can switch them so it will be difficult for copycats to make them or have companies that will supply them these wears with random colors weekly.

9. These will eliminate the fake agberos and also provide employment chain for the uniform or vest suppliers...they will also take care of the dry cleaning needs.

10. Youths need employment..money must flow...you need to cater to different types of people. Eliminating them is not the answer.
This is insightful and spot on as a temporary measure.
However, in the long term, the government should start taking steps to collapse the system by making sure our children don’t end up as Agberos. If we can’t correct the current situation of Agberos we should be able to correct the chances of having similar situation after this current generation of Agberos are gone.
Re: Agberos Hijack Onitsha As Helpless Traders, Motorists Groan by tobolos(m): 11:29am On Apr 01, 2023
A sane person would share those previous comments.

I understand you are really pained. God would heal your wounds.

[quote author=History555 post=122215006][/quote]
Re: Agberos Hijack Onitsha As Helpless Traders, Motorists Groan by MasterTeeUSA: 11:36am On Apr 01, 2023
If there was ever a country that believes in reform, it is USA. Even USA does not believe in blanket reforms. They decided during their drug epidemic to build more prisons and jails...now the cost to run them lead to privatization of jails which led to corruption of judges because prison owners were giving some judges kickbacks, and judges in turn were sending almost everyone to prison so the prisons can be occupied. Without prisoners, private companies don't get paid and they have spent millions or billions of dollars to build these prisons, Hire and train staff as investors. Now with the relaxation on drug policies, some prisoners are being released which has also increased crimes because they didn't put in place daily income plans for these guys and girls...people used to selling drugs daily and making money won't work for one Oga they have no respect for or wait for salary for 2 weeks or monthly. I just don't see it. Maybe someone else believe in magic or abracadabra...I don't lol

VeeVeeMyLuv:

Are these guys not capable of being reformed?

Are they unreformable? Can't their minds be reprogrammed, retrained?

1 Like

Re: Agberos Hijack Onitsha As Helpless Traders, Motorists Groan by MasterTeeUSA: 11:40am On Apr 01, 2023
I agree with you and they can phase them out over time but that will also take a lot of investment in education. Some of these guys have special needs and can't study in conventional schools or need special needs teachers so they dropout and end up where they are. It is important we also consider their lives, traumas growing up, spiritual attacks (If you believe so), family abandonment among others. I don't think any kid says as a child...God let me become agbero...na condition make crayfish bend. We need to show mercy and be kind

Invitationn:

This is insightful and spot on as a temporary measure.
However, in the long term, the government should start taking steps to collapse the system by making sure our children don’t end up as Agberos. If we can’t correct the current situation of Agberos we should be able to correct the chances of having similar situation after this current generation of Agberos are gone.
Re: Agberos Hijack Onitsha As Helpless Traders, Motorists Groan by MasterTeeUSA: 11:42am On Apr 01, 2023
You might be right but what are the alternatives. Keep in mind these guys are not on salary, no retirement or health benefits or packages so long term they might actually save Govt money

Godsonkemz:
Government is the course and sponsor of all these agbero illegal operations in the name of revenue collection. How do you lease a revenue franchise to a staunch cultist/agbero who employ fellow agbero to make sure he recover with excess profit the money he paid to government to secure such position.
Re: Agberos Hijack Onitsha As Helpless Traders, Motorists Groan by Tonytonex(m): 11:47am On Apr 01, 2023
MasterTeeUSA:

Sell this idea to them na.

It's really a good one.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Elechi Sidelined, Booed As Jonathan’s Campaign Train Visits Ebonyi / Nigerian Soldier Reacts To Boko Haram Getting N1m Daily & Soldiers Getting N1000 / Tinubu, Buhari, Aregbesola, Others Attend EFCC Summit In Abuja [photos]

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 66
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.