Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,841 members, 7,810,242 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 01:51 AM

You Know You've Been Out Of Nigeria Too Long When You Start Saying: - Jokes Etc - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Jokes Etc / You Know You've Been Out Of Nigeria Too Long When You Start Saying: (3369 Views)

(PHOTO) When You Tell Your Barber You've Been Posted To Maiduguri / (photo) You Know You've Failed An Exam When This Happens / You Know You've Been Here (america) Too Long When You Say; (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

You Know You've Been Out Of Nigeria Too Long When You Start Saying: by geolabious(m): 7:57pm On Sep 19, 2011
Hi guys!!! I was a little bored so i saw this and it made me laugh hard, so i decided to share,

1.“SUV” instead of “Jeep”

2.“Gas station” instead of “Petrol Station”

3.“Fireworks/Firecrackers” instead of “Banga”

4.“Soda/Pop” instead of “Minerals”

5.Dryer” instead of “Hang it in the sun”

6.“Stupid” instead of “Olodo/Ode”

7.“Trash Can” instead of “Dozbin''

8.“Power is out” instead of ” NEPA has taken light”

9.“Security Guard” instead of “Gateman”

10.“Balcony” instead of “Varanda”

11.Cookie” instead of “Biscuit” (Cabin)

12.“Boss” instead of “Oga”

13.“CEO” instead of “Oga Pata pata”

14.“Manners” instead of “Home training”

15.“Circle” instead of “roundabout”

16.Soccer” instead of “Football”

17.“Motorcycle” instead of “meshin”, or “okada”

18.College” instead of “yunivasiti”

19.“Car” instead of “moto”

20.“Flipflops” instead of “silpas”

21.“Nail polish” instead of “Cotex”

22.“Braids” instead of “Bob Mali”

23.“gum” instead of “chin-gum”

24.“smoke” instead of “tab”

25.“Shower” instead of “Baaf”

26.“Hallway” instead of “Corridoor”

27.“Living/Sitting Room” instead of “Paalo

28.Coccaine/weed” instead of “gbana”

29.“Wuz up” instead of “How far now”

30.“Stop making fun of me” instead of “Stop yabbing me” or “Stop abusing me”
Re: You Know You've Been Out Of Nigeria Too Long When You Start Saying: by Nobody: 11:26pm On Sep 19, 2011
or when you say ain't it? instead of abi?
Lawn instead of Grass
Nanny instead of House girl/boy
Its hurting instead of Its paining me
Flashlight instead of Torch
Luggage instead of Load or Ngwongwo
Cocaine instead of ganja
Sneakers instead of Canvas
Suitcase instead of Box
Laundry detergent instead of OMO
Cop instead of Policeman or Mopo
Fries instead of Chips
Re: You Know You've Been Out Of Nigeria Too Long When You Start Saying: by geolabious(m): 10:54am On Sep 20, 2011
ItsModella:

Lawn instead of Grass
Cocaine instead of ganja
Suitcase instead of Box
Fries instead of Chips

WEaoooooooooooh cool one
Re: You Know You've Been Out Of Nigeria Too Long When You Start Saying: by showstopa: 1:23pm On Sep 20, 2011
muhahahahahhaha, bwahahahahahhaha as for Suitcase and box,lolllllllllllllllllllllllllll. I am sooooooooooooooooooooooo guilty even outside Nigeria, I can't seem to just realise that
Re: You Know You've Been Out Of Nigeria Too Long When You Start Saying: by Ajibel(m): 4:49pm On Sep 20, 2011
*swallows hard*
Re: You Know You've Been Out Of Nigeria Too Long When You Start Saying: by shollymata(m): 10:52pm On Sep 20, 2011
Tomato or ranch sauce instead of Ketchup.

Pay per view instead of DSTV.

Paycheck instead of Salary.

Hi instead of good morning.

Miles instead of minutes.

OR when you start asking for a booklet menu in Mr. Biggs?
Re: You Know You've Been Out Of Nigeria Too Long When You Start Saying: by lysaa(f): 8:18pm On Sep 21, 2011
Seriously?
Re: You Know You've Been Out Of Nigeria Too Long When You Start Saying: by EfemenaXY: 3:11pm On Sep 24, 2011
@ geolabious & ItsModella cheesy cheesy

I am guilty as charged!! smiley

Lol @ Cabin Biscuit, Cotex, Paalor and Baaf!!! grin grin grin

Thanks for sharing jor - love your thread!! cool
Re: You Know You've Been Out Of Nigeria Too Long When You Start Saying: by bright007(f): 5:05pm On Sep 24, 2011
*where is d joke in all this write-up*
Re: You Know You've Been Out Of Nigeria Too Long When You Start Saying: by Nobody: 12:51am On Sep 25, 2011
bright007:

*where is d joke in all this write-up*
Shut up abeg. If you did not see the joke, you would have left the thread the damn way you came in instead of posting a silly comment.
Re: You Know You've Been Out Of Nigeria Too Long When You Start Saying: by bright007(f): 5:19am On Sep 25, 2011
*@modella:hope u didn't drink the medication that u ŵėřē suppose to use in having ur bath?Is it wrong to ask å question?You must be socially retarded
Re: You Know You've Been Out Of Nigeria Too Long When You Start Saying: by Nellyon(f): 3:44pm On Sep 26, 2011
geolabious:

Hi guys!!! I was a little bored so i saw this and it made me laugh hard, so i decided to share,

1.“SUV” instead of “Jeep”

2.“Gas station” instead of “Petrol Station”

3.“Fireworks/Firecrackers” instead of “Banga”

4.“Soda/Pop” instead of “Minerals”

5.Dryer” instead of “Hang it in the sun”

6.“silly” instead of “Olodo/Ode”

7.“Trash Can” instead of “Dozbin''

8.“Power is out” instead of ” NEPA has taken light”

9.“Security Guard” instead of “Gateman”

10.“Balcony” instead of “Varanda”

11.Cookie” instead of “Biscuit” (Cabin)

16.Soccer” instead of “Football”

17.“Motorcycle” instead of “meshin”, or “okada”

18.College” instead of “yunivasiti”

19.“Car” instead of “moto”

20.“Flipflops” instead of “silpas”

21.“Nail polish” instead of “Cotex”

22.“Braids” instead of “Bob Mali”

23.“gum” instead of “chin-gum”

24.“smoke” instead of “tab”

25.“Shower” instead of “Baaf”

26[b].“Hallway” instead of “Corridoor”[/b]

27.“Living/Sitting Room” instead of “Paalo

28.Coccaine/weed” instead of “gbana”

29.“Wuz up” instead of “How far now”

30.“Stop making fun of me” instead of “Stop yabbing me” or “Stop abusing me”

No. 6. Its a Nigerian language.
7. I believe they say 'dustbin' and they re correct. Its British.
11. Biscuit, British. Cookie, American.
12. Nigerian pidgin for 'Boss'.
13. Nigerian pidgin for CEO.
16. Football is British.
17. Nigerian slang.
20. Slippers is correct, so is flip flops.
23. they say chewing gum.
26. corridor is correct.
29. Nigerian pidgin.

But i'll let these fly if u re absolutely kidding about it all.
Re: You Know You've Been Out Of Nigeria Too Long When You Start Saying: by newbride: 3:50pm On Sep 26, 2011
OMG i cant stop laughing

this is too funnny
Re: You Know You've Been Out Of Nigeria Too Long When You Start Saying: by Nellyon(f): 3:55pm On Sep 26, 2011
ItsModella:

Lawn instead of Grass
Cocaine instead of ganja
Suitcase instead of Box
Fries instead of Chips

Abi is Nigerian Pidgin, informal for 'isnt it'? as is 'aint it'.
House boy is so correct,
Torch is same as flashlight
There is cocaine, there is ganja
Omo is a brand name for a Nigerian detergent
So a policeman is not a cop?
Fries, American. Chips, English.

You re so lame.
Re: You Know You've Been Out Of Nigeria Too Long When You Start Saying: by Nellyon(f): 4:02pm On Sep 26, 2011
shollymata:

Tomato or ranch sauce instead of Ketchup.

Pay per view instead of DSTV.

Paycheck instead of Salary.

Hi instead of good morning.

Miles instead of minutes.

OR when you start asking for a booklet menu in Mr. Biggs?

Is Ketchup not tomato sauce made and bottled up?
DSTV is a service provider of Pay per view
What is salary? what is paycheck?
There is 'hi', there is Good morning.

you slow b.a.astard.
Re: You Know You've Been Out Of Nigeria Too Long When You Start Saying: by olawalebabs(m): 2:06pm On Sep 27, 2011
Son of a bitch instead of Oloriburuku
Damn it instead of Ye
Re: You Know You've Been Out Of Nigeria Too Long When You Start Saying: by bashydemy(m): 8:51am On Sep 28, 2011
Nice one OP
Re: You Know You've Been Out Of Nigeria Too Long When You Start Saying: by Dabss(m): 11:22am On Sep 28, 2011
Nellyon:

Abi is Nigerian Pidgin, informal for 'isnt it'? as is 'aint it'.
House boy is so correct,
Torch is same as flashlight
There is cocaine, there is ganja
Omo is a brand name for a Nigerian detergent
So a policeman is not a cop?
Fries, American. Chips, English.

You re so lame.
the thing self tire me!
Re: You Know You've Been Out Of Nigeria Too Long When You Start Saying: by Nobody: 12:21pm On Sep 28, 2011
Pu-ssy -- That Thing! lipsrsealed
Re: You Know You've Been Out Of Nigeria Too Long When You Start Saying: by geolabious(m): 2:23pm On Sep 28, 2011
olawalebab:

Son of a NaughtyWoman instead of Oloriburuku
Damn it instead of Ye
Lol

El Guapo:

Pu-ssy -- That Thing! lipsrsealed
Pls whats dat thing
Re: You Know You've Been Out Of Nigeria Too Long When You Start Saying: by Nobody: 2:43pm On Sep 28, 2011
Maybe we ask Our Nigerian brotel patronizers like Bin Gbagbo n Studio, its a kinda informal way of addressing Punn-y or Di-ck by most Nigerians! lipsrsealed
Re: You Know You've Been Out Of Nigeria Too Long When You Start Saying: by Ben13: 2:52pm On Sep 28, 2011

Funny!! But we, still in 9ja, have our reasons, just like @Nellyon has highlited. cheesy
Re: You Know You've Been Out Of Nigeria Too Long When You Start Saying: by shollymata(m): 10:21am On Oct 05, 2011
Nellyon:

Is Ketchup not tomato sauce made and bottled up?
DSTV is a service provider of Pay per view

you slow b.a.astard.

@Nellyon I'll not join issues with you over your choice of words, however you missed the humour in all of this. No one, not even the poster said the comparisons we are making are corrections, we are simply discussing expressions in other parts of the world. I admire your passion for Nigeria though.
Re: You Know You've Been Out Of Nigeria Too Long When You Start Saying: by geolabious(m): 10:48am On Oct 05, 2011
shollymata:

@Nellyon I'll not join issues with you over your choice of words, however you missed the humour in all of this. No one, not even the poster said the comparisons we are making are corrections, we are simply discussing expressions in other parts of the world. I admire your passion for Nigeria though.
Like dat cheesy
Re: You Know You've Been Out Of Nigeria Too Long When You Start Saying: by Nellyon(f): 4:44pm On Oct 05, 2011
shollymata:

Same freaking thing. I am saying this is the Nigerian expression(in some cases the globally accepted expressions)for these things. You and the poster did not post this here to compare expressions. You posted this to demean the Nigerian expressions in comparison to others from around the world.
And i say this not just cos of patriotism for Nigeria, but more cos of the fact that i have loads of degrees on the English language and there still exists something called 'Mother Tongue Interference'.
Re: You Know You've Been Out Of Nigeria Too Long When You Start Saying: by shollymata(m): 2:34am On Oct 06, 2011
Nellyon:

Same freaking thing. I am saying this is the Nigerian expression(in some cases the globally accepted expressions)for these things. You and the poster did not post this here to compare expressions. You posted this to demean the Nigerian expressions in comparison to others from around the world.
And i say this not just cos of patriotism for Nigeria, but more cos of the fact that i have loads of degrees on the English language and there still exists something called 'Mother Tongue Interference'.

@Nellyon: You seem to be more of a mind reader than the English major you claim to be. Sometimes you just need to read to know,  Re: You Know You've Been Out Of Nigeria Too Long When You Start Saying. This is the topic and it has nothing whatsoever to do with 'mother tongue'.

At this point i'll advise you build up your humour and loosen up, life is not all up tight, and you'll make more impact by pursuing the positives in life than shouting out and dwelling on what you perceive as negative. You epitomize our beloved "NIGERIA". On your 'loads' of degree in English, CONGRATULATIONS, i'll advise you display it in your choice of words and decency.  wink
Re: You Know You've Been Out Of Nigeria Too Long When You Start Saying: by 1luvkipsus: 6:01pm On Oct 09, 2011
@Nellyon:my broda,those guys almost confused me but 4 ur swift intervention.i don't no wot they re up 2!
Re: You Know You've Been Out Of Nigeria Too Long When You Start Saying: by Meddler(f): 6:25pm On Oct 09, 2011
@Nellyon - Booooooooo STFU (in my Reily voice). Lighten up dude or remove the stick stuck up ur butt.
Re: You Know You've Been Out Of Nigeria Too Long When You Start Saying: by Redmosquito(m): 8:51am On Oct 10, 2011
Some poopoo(oops I mean people) just like to spoil simple comedy. Comedy doesnt have to be accurate cos dats wat makes it comedy. But instead of just smilin it up some poopoo (ooh sorry I mean people) will just start to curse (eg b.a.astard) and spoil d fun undecided
Re: You Know You've Been Out Of Nigeria Too Long When You Start Saying: by Onyeasi(m): 9:29am On Oct 10, 2011
Redmosquito:

Some poopoo(oops I mean people) just like to spoil simple comedy. Comedy doesnt have to be accurate cos dats wat makes it comedy. But instead of just smilin it up some poopoo (ooh sorry I mean people) will just start to curse (eg b.a.astard) and spoil d fun undecided

Come, if you don't know what to say. . . Just Shelap. .
Re: You Know You've Been Out Of Nigeria Too Long When You Start Saying: by Redmosquito(m): 9:10pm On Oct 10, 2011
Oga Ony I no know who drag u enter my bizness pls keep d hostility for ur house dont unleash any on me oooo which kain levels? I sabi u before? angry
Re: You Know You've Been Out Of Nigeria Too Long When You Start Saying: by Redmosquito(m): 9:28pm On Oct 10, 2011
I just saw ur profile txt (Be a person full of love,trust and hopeful.) hmmmmmm. Yet u choose to quickly pick a fite wit someone u dont even know (you better change d txt? ) angry

(1) (2) (Reply)

Nigerian Ladies Have Come Again - See Pre-burial Photos / Two Plus Two Equals What? / The Reason Why ANAL Intimacy Is A Bad Idea. {PICTURE}

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.