Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,166,419 members, 7,864,852 topics. Date: Wednesday, 19 June 2024 at 08:09 AM

I Don't Like Celebrating Birthdays The Way Most People Do - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / I Don't Like Celebrating Birthdays The Way Most People Do (488 Views)

Why Do People Do This After The Death Of Their Parents? / Wife Has Never Put My Pix On Her Dp On My Birthdays Since 10yrs Of Marriage. / What Is That Thing Your Neighbour Does You Don't Like? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

I Don't Like Celebrating Birthdays The Way Most People Do by viewmyissues: 9:14am On Apr 02, 2023
Dear VMI,

I don't like celebrating birthdays the way most people do. AM I NORMAL? AM I WEIRD?

All I always want to do during my birthdays is to BE ALONE INDOOR and thank God for the gift of life quietly and also reflect on/think about the past, present, future and plan. I do not like all this publicity or pre-birthday countdown thing. I just LIKE IT PRIVATE.

I am beginning to fear that this could affect my marriage because I always act as if there's nothing special about birthdays. I really hope that I won't be seeing my wife and children's birthday as less important (not that I even see it as less important, I just like it private and been done in the unusual way).

The way people do countdown to birthdays and also celebrate their birthdays publicly always amaze me.

I get pissed whenever my fiancee reminds me about the birthday of her family members. She'd be like, tomorrow is so so so person's birthday. . today is my brother's birthday, greet him bla bla bla. . . Madam no time, congratulate them on our behalf. . . I wish them the very best.

My fiancee's recent birthday slipped my mind. I forget to call her that day and she was very mad at me. it was when she brought in cake in the evening after work that I remembered. I hope this birthday celebration thing won't affect my marriage. I hope people around me would understand that I don't hate them or see them as less important.

Sometime, My parents, friends and/or family members are always the ones to remind me about my birthday with their messages/calls. I will be like, I have forgotten that today is my birthday. Birthdays are just like every other days to me. I just try to me it special quietly.

2 Likes

Re: I Don't Like Celebrating Birthdays The Way Most People Do by Figger(m): 9:43am On Apr 02, 2023
You're not alone, there's nothing special about birthday, I myself have not celebrated a birthday for once in my life and I don't intend to, so it baffles me why people make a mountain out of it.

6 Likes

Re: I Don't Like Celebrating Birthdays The Way Most People Do by Mkelv0106(m): 9:51am On Apr 02, 2023
Not only you bro. I don't like all those camaraderie, most people don't even know my birthday, cause I've never post about it. I just see it as every other day, for me, every day is a gift to be celebrated. When your birthday comes and you remember you're born in Nigeria sef, to celebrate go tire you.

2 Likes

Re: I Don't Like Celebrating Birthdays The Way Most People Do by faithfull18(f): 10:51am On Apr 02, 2023
You are pretty normal wink

1 Like

Re: I Don't Like Celebrating Birthdays The Way Most People Do by Nobody: 11:55am On Apr 02, 2023

1 Like

Re: I Don't Like Celebrating Birthdays The Way Most People Do by ChybuzzDD(m): 12:09pm On Apr 02, 2023
Exodus15v11:
Birthdays are only once a year. Let people celebrate themselves on their day however they deem fit, and you do the same for yourself. I always go all out for loved ones on their birthdays. I'm that person that will throw birthday parties for people and surprise them with gifts, lmao.

I don't see anything worth celebrating about birthdays.
It's just pure waste of valuable time and resources.
Put the money into some other worthwhile ventures.

3 Likes

Re: I Don't Like Celebrating Birthdays The Way Most People Do by Nobody: 12:37pm On Apr 02, 2023
ChybuzzDD:

I don't see anything worth celebrating about birthdays.
It's just pure waste of valuable time and resources.
Put the money into some other worthwhile ventures.
That you don't see anything worth celebrating about birthdays and that you're broke and can't afford to celebrate yourself or loved ones on their birthdays either, doesn't give you the right to tell others how to celebrate theirs or others' they care about. Live your life as you deem fit and let people do the same for themselves.

1 Like

Re: I Don't Like Celebrating Birthdays The Way Most People Do by Nobody: 12:54pm On Apr 02, 2023
You're not alone, I'm also like that.. I don't see a big deal in doing birthday parties.

And the most annoying thing is that my family and close friends always have something special planned for me each year on my birthday, so I have to pretend that I like it because I don't want to hurt their feelings.

One time I told them that I didn't want a cake on my birthday, that their birthday wishes were enough for me... But my friends still decided to contribute money and prepared a birthday feast for me and made it a surprise... Even though there was no cake, but they bought everything.. grin grin grin

The other time I also told them that I don't wish for much on my birthday, I thought they'd get the message.. Only for them to come knocking on my door in the afternoon of my birthday with a cake, snacks, and drinks... I had to put on my crocodile smile for they had disturbed my peace..😅😅😅

2 Likes

Re: I Don't Like Celebrating Birthdays The Way Most People Do by MasterShifu010(m): 1:00pm On Apr 02, 2023
My own is that I hate birthdays , I see no reason why people celebrate it , it even annoys me more when people post pictures of peoples birthday on their status , I see it as a waste of data ,

1 Like

Re: I Don't Like Celebrating Birthdays The Way Most People Do by Divay22(f): 1:11pm On Apr 02, 2023
Even if i have never celebrated mine i still celebrate for those i love...
I hate the feeling of me not anticipating for it thou but year in, year out i can't just change it....
Na that photoshoot i never ever dream to do....

2 Likes 1 Share

(1) (Reply)

My Husband Has Erectile Dysfunction After 2 Months Of Our Marriage / See Wetin Naija Banks Dey Do Me / Rejected By Both Of My Parents

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 20
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.