Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,205 members, 7,811,556 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 02:34 PM

Why Do People Do This After The Death Of Their Parents? - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Why Do People Do This After The Death Of Their Parents? (48741 Views)

At What Age Should An Adult Leave Their Parents’ House? / Photos Of 6 Girls Who Lost Their Parents Under 1 Year / Brother & Sister Recreate Childhood Photos For Their Parents’ 30th Anniversary (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Do People Do This After The Death Of Their Parents? by SamWales(m): 10:24am On Aug 07, 2023
Hey guys, I've been wondering, why is it that most people don't renovate their house in the village till their old parents are dead?

Is not like they don't have the money to do this, but they will rather wait till the old parents drop dead. Immediately, they will start rebuilding the house trying to complete a 1 month construction project in just 1 week before performing the burial.

Is it that the old parents doesn't merit a good house? Apart from impressing the guests that will attend the burial, do you know of any other reason why people do this?
What is your opinion?

109 Likes 12 Shares

Re: Why Do People Do This After The Death Of Their Parents? by Mophor: 10:26am On Aug 07, 2023
Re: Why Do People Do This After The Death Of Their Parents? by taylor88(m): 10:28am On Aug 07, 2023
City friends validation

Same thing happens during traditional wedding when you’re traveling from city to village with your friends

That’s the country we have found ourselves

Na why I like Muslim burial no necessary dramas

When my Dad died I was crying double double not because he’s dead but because of what’s ahead as a chief in Rivers State and I know what’s required

Someone who lost his parents is supposed to gain supports and sympathizers rather you’ll be into debt and have bills ahead

308 Likes 22 Shares

Re: Why Do People Do This After The Death Of Their Parents? by Amotolongbo(f): 10:49am On Aug 07, 2023
SamWales:
Hey guys, I've been wondering, why is it that most people don't renovate their house in the village till their old parents are dead?

Is not like they don't have the money to do this, but they will rather wait till the old parents drop dead. Immediately, they will start rebuilding the house trying to complete a 1 month construction project in just 1 week before performing the burial.

Is it that the old parents doesn't merit a good house? Apart from impressing the guests that will attend the burial, do you know of any other reason why people do this?
What is your opinion?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why Do People Do This After The Death Of Their Parents? by yarimo(m): 12:11pm On Aug 07, 2023
SamWales:

What is your opinion?
op read it carefully and your answer is their

60 Likes 7 Shares

Re: Why Do People Do This After The Death Of Their Parents? by depure(m): 12:28pm On Aug 07, 2023
Some times it's the belief of the some part of Igbos, if for instance you don't have a family home ..and you have on going construction you would want to complete it before you bury the person.....

6 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Why Do People Do This After The Death Of Their Parents? by Nazgul: 12:38pm On Aug 07, 2023
In Igboland, parents are buried by their children in their house. So it would be disgraceful to the children of all the guests arrive and the house is looking like something that barely made it out the Biafran war. That's why they try to renovate it and upgrade the look.

42 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Why Do People Do This After The Death Of Their Parents? by blaquemyc: 1:15pm On Aug 07, 2023
Nazgul:
In Igboland, parents are buried by their children in their house. So it would be disgraceful to the children of all the guests arrive and the house is looking like something that barely made it out the Biafran war. That's why they try to renovate it and upgrade the look.
But it's not disgraceful for their parents to live in a house looking like something that barely made it out of the Biafran war until their death right?

217 Likes 19 Shares

Re: Why Do People Do This After The Death Of Their Parents? by Acidosis(m): 2:13pm On Aug 07, 2023
I've always been against this trend too. But for some, you really can't blame them. Many of the renovations you see were carried out with loans.

Let's also not forget the fact that many old people are not hyped about fancy buildings and cars. As you age, your priorities in and about life change. Some families understand this so they channel their care or money towards other areas like creating time to visit their parents, ensuring they eat good food, prioritising their health, employing a house assistant, and keeping their space clean.

The fact that you see some children renovating and painting pre-burial is not a sign of abandonment. Do what matters and what you can afford while they are alive. As long as you do what makes them happy while they were alive, what you do after their demise is completely up to you.

101 Likes 11 Shares

Re: Why Do People Do This After The Death Of Their Parents? by Nazgul: 2:23pm On Aug 07, 2023
blaquemyc:
But it's not disgraceful for their parents to live in a house looking like something that barely made it out of the Biafran war until their death right?
Why are you directing your anger towards me, did I tell you that my parents are living in an uncompleted building and I'm waiting for them to die before renovating it?

I only answered the question that was asked, cos it's common with most average and below average Igbos.

And would you blame them, most of them are struggling to cater for their families in the city, so renovating a property they might not visit for years might be a waste of resources to the considering how the economy is.

If you want to singlehandedly renovate your parents house, no one is stopping you. But passing judgement on others for not doing so without knowing if they can afford to do it is very wrong. Besides as a parent, it's myopic for your retirement plan to be your children. Cos they too might have their own responsibilities that's weighing them down.

58 Likes 7 Shares

Re: Why Do People Do This After The Death Of Their Parents? by Offpoint1: 3:56pm On Aug 07, 2023
grin it's simple! Nobody dey gree sey e get money until something happen before you go begin see money come out... That's the simple truth.

16 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Why Do People Do This After The Death Of Their Parents? by Triangles1(m): 3:56pm On Aug 07, 2023
Africa
Re: Why Do People Do This After The Death Of Their Parents? by Akfrenzy(m): 3:57pm On Aug 07, 2023
angry They want to show off 😆😆😆

Odogwu na Malaysia wouldn't want his guests to come over and see his family house looking like ODIEGWU 😆😆😆😆😆😆

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Do People Do This After The Death Of Their Parents? by GoodRocks: 3:57pm On Aug 07, 2023
Damn!

As an Edo niggar, I can tell you we binis are guilty of this. Na so one old man wey dey my area died some months ago and they fixed a date for his burial. His children and entire family started renovating their house, changed the windows , doors and even fixed a new gate. Then they went ahead and bought 2 cows and bags of rice. Why didn't they do all this when the old man was alive so he could enjoy their wealth? Why waited till he passed away?

If you're a young man spend your money on your parents now that they're alive, not when they leave this world 🌎 you start renovating your head, buying cows etc. Help them now they're still alive. Buy them foodstuffs, send them money and take good care of them

31 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Why Do People Do This After The Death Of Their Parents? by AllenSpencer: 3:57pm On Aug 07, 2023
Why do they have to maintain it?

Didn’t the parents put into consideration that they would have to maintain the house till death comes knocking.

That’s what happens when parents fail to plan. They could as well sell the house and move into adult care homes

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Do People Do This After The Death Of Their Parents? by Tayorshd87: 3:57pm On Aug 07, 2023
There choice biko
Re: Why Do People Do This After The Death Of Their Parents? by Nevoy: 3:57pm On Aug 07, 2023

Re: Why Do People Do This After The Death Of Their Parents? by GoodRocks: 3:58pm On Aug 07, 2023
Triangles1:
Africa

Not Africa but Edo state

2 Likes

Re: Why Do People Do This After The Death Of Their Parents? by 7demons: 3:58pm On Aug 07, 2023
grin grin grin lipsrsealed

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Do People Do This After The Death Of Their Parents? by Aocvin(m): 3:58pm On Aug 07, 2023
Cultural belief I think
Re: Why Do People Do This After The Death Of Their Parents? by Helpfromabove1(m): 3:58pm On Aug 07, 2023
That the African mindset for u

Trying to show off for the visitors that will be coming to mourn the dead while the dead was not appreciated and taking care of while he was alive

Appreciate me now that I dey alive no be say when I leave this world you go Dey fake am for my back

3 Likes

Re: Why Do People Do This After The Death Of Their Parents? by AllenSpencer: 3:59pm On Aug 07, 2023
Triangles1:
Africa

What is about Africa?

Africans even have the best care for their aged people!

Western kids will boggle you to adult homes ASAP. Those kids don’t take shit! You can never disturb their life.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Do People Do This After The Death Of Their Parents? by santopelele(m): 3:59pm On Aug 07, 2023
Yea, some do that to tell people that the deceased is well to do. That money is not their problem

1 Like

Re: Why Do People Do This After The Death Of Their Parents? by inoki247: 3:59pm On Aug 07, 2023
Lol na wen people die People dey get more value now if you call someone now that you've not eaten for 1yr everybody will say they're broke die first they will be the one to contribute money for your Burial Buy Cow still buy cloth....

In this part of the world we prefer spending Money when people die than spending it on them when they're still alive.....

4 Likes

Re: Why Do People Do This After The Death Of Their Parents? by Xscape1993(m): 3:59pm On Aug 07, 2023
It is because we value the dead more than the living in this part of the world.

1 Like

Re: Why Do People Do This After The Death Of Their Parents? by Segzy19: 3:59pm On Aug 07, 2023
The same reason why some people do not take care of their parents while alive but will spend money to feed and entertain people once the parents die...

It's usually poor people that do that nonsense....

6 Likes

Re: Why Do People Do This After The Death Of Their Parents? by Creamypie(m): 3:59pm On Aug 07, 2023
In my delta state, its d norm. Mostly poor on mind people do that
Re: Why Do People Do This After The Death Of Their Parents? by onoms4luv(m): 3:59pm On Aug 07, 2023
Reading
Re: Why Do People Do This After The Death Of Their Parents? by AllBlack: 3:59pm On Aug 07, 2023
hmmm
Re: Why Do People Do This After The Death Of Their Parents? by MANNABBQGRILLS: 4:00pm On Aug 07, 2023
People do this?!

3 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Why Do People Do This After The Death Of Their Parents? by SenecaTheYonger: 4:00pm On Aug 07, 2023
SamWales:

What is your opinion?

For people in Anambra, it's just something that's part of burial rites, so they have to do it, else they won't

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Ebhohimen Innocent Lists His 2018 Achievements, To Inspire Others (photos) / What A Woman Can Do (photo) / My Lover — Not My Husband — Impregnated Me, Wife Confesses

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 33
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.