Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,123 members, 7,814,939 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 12:27 AM

One Thing Is Sure by Kayode Odusanya (Incomplete Story) - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / One Thing Is Sure by Kayode Odusanya (Incomplete Story) (1999 Views)

Diary Of A Shy College Kid: Year One (By Kayode Odusanya) / 30 Days And 30 Nights (A Romance Novelette By Kayode Odusanya) / All In One Night (A Romance Novelette By Kayode Odusanya) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

One Thing Is Sure by Kayode Odusanya (Incomplete Story) by kayo80(m): 11:58am On Apr 09, 2023
This is a romance novella...I'll start posting this week for sure. It has 12-15 chapters...

7 Likes

Re: One Thing Is Sure by Kayode Odusanya (Incomplete Story) by OlufemiWhit(m): 7:46pm On Apr 09, 2023
Leggo

1 Like

Re: One Thing Is Sure by Kayode Odusanya (Incomplete Story) by dammyd46(m): 7:08am On Apr 10, 2023
We are ready 😁😁

1 Like

Re: One Thing Is Sure by Kayode Odusanya (Incomplete Story) by haabidah666: 11:11am On Apr 11, 2023
we're waiting boss!

2 Likes

Re: One Thing Is Sure by Kayode Odusanya (Incomplete Story) by kayo80(m): 10:26am On Apr 13, 2023
Chapter 1

It Was a Friday, and the bank was filled to the capacity at twenty minutes to close time. The white walls and high ceilings helped a bit, but 26 year old Angela still felt claustrophobic in her working area. She had been at this particular branch of the bank for four years now, and was relieved when she got transferred to the foreign exchange department a few months ago. It meant she had fewer customers to deal with. Because of her petite stature, she sometimes preferred to stand while attending to customers. The customer she had just gotten done with said to her as she was walking away, “Have a nice weekend, Oyinbo.” It made her smile. Oyinbo is a slang used in some parts of Nigeria to describe people that are light skinned.

Her phone had been vibrating nonstop, and she looked at it for a quick second as the next customer walked up. It was her mom calling again. She wondered what the urgency was.

“Good afternoon.” The tall, good looking guy with the well-trimmed full beard said, smiling at her. She admired the blue denim shirt he had on; it looked good on his dark complexion. Much more than that, he looked really familiar.
“Good afternoon…”
“I’m here for a world remit transfer.” He said, and she nodded before handing him a document to fill. As he turned around and walked off to a wooden ledge by the banking hall wall to fill the paper, she still couldn’t recall where she knew him from. It gets confusing sometimes when you attend to dozens of people daily. They usually know you more than you know them. And you usually aren’t sure if they know you from the bank, or from elsewhere.

Her phone started ringing again, and she wondered what her mom wanted to tell her so urgently. She was about to pick up when she heard the ramblings of a child. There was a little girl in front of her, but only her eyes upwards was visible to Angela because of how high the bank counter was. She had a red bow on her head that matched the red gown she was wearing. “Is it my turn now?” She said with big smile on her face.

Angela smiled at the little girl before saying, “Almost…It’s almost your turn.”
“Okay ma.”
“Umm… Should I come back?” The guy said as he walked back to the counter holding the filled documented.
“No, little miss sunshine will have to wait her turn.” Angela said with a smile as she collected the paper from the guy. “I wonder where her mom is though.” She added as she scanned the hall.
“Or, dad.” The guy said.
“Trust me, it’s probably a mom.” Angela said, face down, typing away at her computer.
He looked back and saw the little girl running towards a heavily pregnant woman coming into the bank. "I guess you're right." He said to her with a smile.

"Please put a finger on this." She said smiling back at him as she slid the little, black finger print authentication gadget his way.

"Okay, I hope it works today." He said before placing his index finger on the device.

After a few seconds, she said, "You can remove it now." As she continued to process the thing, she thought of what he had said, and it finally hit her. "I remember you now. You’re always having problems with this process."

"Yea; the last time I was here you asked me to go and start taking blood tonic."

"I did?" She asked with a perplexed look on her face.

"No, I'm just kidding." He said and laughed a little. She laughed too and continued to work in silence.

"Please sign here." She said as she handed him a small piece of paper. After signing and handing it back to her, she passed him a couple of hundred dollar bills.

"Thank you. Have a lovely weekend." He said

"You too." She said as she watched him walk away. Good looks, funny, responsible looking, in her age range; he ticked all her boxes. He also looked like someone her mom would like.

"Is it my mom's turn now?" The little girl said, disrupting her train of thought.

"Yes it is." Angela said with a little laugh.

An hour after closing, she was able to settle everything on her desk and leave the office. As she stepped out of the bank security door, her phone started ringing. She smiled and nodded at the security man as she walked past him before pulling out her phone from her handbag. It was her mom again, this time she was falling on FaceTime. She sighed before picking up.

"Hello mom." She said with a smile. She was a spitting image of her mom, light skin beauty, with a pointed noise. They even had the same kind of hairdo; brown braids.

"My daughter, how are you?"

"Thank God she has finally picked up." Another female voice in the background was heard saying.

“Is that…” Angela squinted as she focused on her phone screen, while walking slowly to the car park. “Good evening aunt Chinelo."

"My sweet Angela; I have missed you. Why didn’t you pick since?"

“I’m sorry ma, I was at work.”

"I told you she will be working; you said she closes by 1 on Fridays."

"I thought they have started closing by 1 on Fridays these days."

"When she is not a nursery school teacher, why will she close by 1?"

"Keep quiet there."

Angela was smiling from cheek to cheek; Interactions between her mom and her aunt was always hilarious. She was by her white Prius now, and she noticed a man in a crouching position, by a black car next to hers. He was tightening the nuts of his tyre with a wheel spanner. When she looked closer she saw it was the man from earlier. Just then he looked back and smiled at her.

"Sorry about that." She said in a low voice.

"It's okay. I'm just about done."

"Who are you talking to?" Her mom asked.

"Mom, give me a minute." She said and lowered the hand that was holding the phone. “Do you need any help? I can call one of the bank security guys to help out.”

"Thanks. I'm good to go."

"Angela, is that your boyfriend. The guy is fine o." Her aunt said.

"Sorry about that." She said to the guy with a smile. "Give me a minute." She walked over to the other side of her car before continuing her call. Her aunt was the one holding the phone now. "Aunt, please tell mom I'll call her later."

"That your boyfriend is tall o. But I didn’t see his face well. Give him the phone let me talk to him."

"Aunty, he is not my boyfriend." She said with a little laugh.

"Wait, Angela has a boyfriend? Let me see him." Her mom was heard saying in the background.

"I can't see his face, but the boy tall."

"I have to go now, I'll call later." She said before ending the call.

She walked back to the guy, just about to get into his car. "I'm sorry about all that." She said, blushing. He was smiling hard. "Umm..." She was lost for word, and didn't know if to spark up a conversation with him or just walk away. Just then, she saw a girl approaching them with a black paper bag in hand. She looked a lot like Tems, the musician; a thick, brown skin beauty. The guy followed her gaze, and turned to smile at the girl. Angela guessed she must be his girlfriend. "Umm... okay. Bye."

"Take care." He said to Angela

She slowly retreated to the driver’s side of her car, going through her hand bag for her keys. The fresh smell of her car air-freshener filled the air as she opened her car door. She gently threw her hand bag in the front passenger’s seat before getting in, and closing the door.

After starting up the car, she sat there in silence and let her mind wonder. For a minute she had thought she was witnessing something magical, like in the Hollywood romance movies. This is real life, she thought to herself. Their voices were muffled by her wound up windows, but she could still hear them arguing about buying the wrong product. She smiled and backed out of the parking space. She honked at her horn and waved at him while switching gears. He waved back, and from the corner of her eye, she saw his girl staring at her as she drove past them

8 Likes

Re: One Thing Is Sure by Kayode Odusanya (Incomplete Story) by YoungBruzzy(m): 12:02am On Apr 14, 2023
Welcome back boss😍😍😍

1 Like

Re: One Thing Is Sure by Kayode Odusanya (Incomplete Story) by kayo80(m): 11:27am On Apr 17, 2023
Sorry for the delay guys...rewriting/editing can sometimes lead to some crucial changes to a story and take time. For now, I'll be posting 2 chapters a week.

Thanks for your patience.

2 Likes

Re: One Thing Is Sure by Kayode Odusanya (Incomplete Story) by kayo80(m): 11:33am On Apr 17, 2023
Chapter 2

Angela was seated in her parent’s living room, reminiscing about the past. Her blazer was beside her on the couch, leaving her with just her white camisole and skirt. The family portrait on the wall opposite her brought back memories. Her father, a good looking dark skinned man with strong facial features, was dressed in a black suit, sitting on a throne-like chair; Angela, her brother and sister, and her mom stood behind him. She remembered the day the picture was taken like it was yesterday, even though it was ten years ago. They had just got back from church, and when the photographer showed up in a van with all his equipment. He did a great job, because she had not believed the picture would come out that beautifully, judging by how tired everyone was. The memory of that day made her smile.

The drapes were closed, blocking out the sunlight from outside, and it reminded her of when she and her siblings would watch movies in the same living room many years ago. The TV still hung on the wall to the right of where she was seated, even though it had been upgraded multiple times over the years. Also, the same wooden shelf that housed the sound system just below the TV was still there. She remembered lying down on the rug with her elder sister, close to the shelf, listening to music when they were teenagers. Things were so simple back then. But now everyone was grown and distant from marriage and work. Her brother relocated to Canada with family about five years, and she hadn’t seen him since. Susan, her sister that lived in the same city with her, she hadn’t seen in months. Angela’s workload had reduced since she got transferred to a department with less workload at the bank, but she was learning tailoring six nights a week. And Sundays were for church, and sleep, so she hardly had time to make calls, let alone visit friends and family.

“They’re coming ma.” The maid said as she went behind the couch Angela was sitting to pull the drapes. The girl’s use of the pronoun ‘they’ gave Angela a clue that her aunt was still around. Time for marriage talk, she thought to herself. Her parent’s had married in their early twenties, and by her age her mom was already done with child bearing. That was what she wanted for all her children, and so far, she had been successful with the first two. But it had become to achieve same success with her baby. Angela sometimes wondered what was wrong with her, because she just didn’t seem interested in settling down. Her mom had played the matchmaking role a few times in their church, but most of the guys were either too religious for her, or were the wolf in sheep’s clothing type. At a point, she got tired of dating all together, stopped attending their family church, and decided to stay single for a while. Moving out of the house helped. She was only able to successfully pull that off because she had made her parents believe she would only be staying in the apartment on weekdays because of work. And then she gradually stopped coming back home on weekends.

Her dad never liked the idea of her even getting an apartment in the first place, but it was easier to do because he was rarely around. Being in the Nigerian Army, he got moved around a lot. He would usually move with his family, but when he got redeployed to another state four years ago, he decided to move there alone, and leave his family in Ibadan City, where he already had a house built. He was planning on retiring before his 55th birthday next year, which would coincide with his 35th year in active service. He was so excited to face his real estate business squarely after retirement. As much as she loved her mother, Angela was a daddy’s girl, and she really missed him. She looked up at the family portrait again and smiled. Her mind was about to wonder off again down memory lane when she heard footsteps approaching.

“Angela, so you have turned to visitor that cannot come upstairs?” Her mom said as she walked into the living room from the dining area. She had on a loose brown gown, with a white scarf covering her hair.
“Mommy.” Angela said, dragging the word as she packed her braids properly to the back and got off the couch smiling. Her mom was about the same height as her, but plump. At 52, she looked really good for her age. “I was too tired to climb the stairs.”
“I know that’s not the real reason.” Her mom said before they embraced each other. “I know it is because you don’t want to see your room. You don’t want to be tempted to move back.”
“Mommy.” She said with a little laugh.
They pulled back, and her mom looked at her smiling for a few seconds before saying, “My baby is shining. My beautiful Angela.”
“Angela. Angela.” Her aunt said as she walked into the living room carrying a tray. She was slim and a few inches taller that Angela and her mom; wearing jeans and grey colored t shirt made her look like a teenage girl. Angela’s eyes went to the bowls of diced fruits on the tray as her aunt dropped it on the wooden center table. It contained some watermelon, pineapples, and banana; some of her favorite fruits.
“Good afternoon aunty.” Angela said as she moved in to hug her aunty. “How are the twins?”
“They are fine.” Her aunt said as she held Angela in a tight embrace. “You smell so good.” She added.
“Thank you ma.”
“Ngozi and Chika are now big girls. I didn’t recognize them again the last time I saw them.” Her mom said as she picked up one of the glass bowls of fruits and handed it to Angela. “Chinelo, me and you can share this one.” She added as she picked up the second bowl and sat on the couch opposite from Angela.

After a few more minutes of catching up, the room went quiet, and the ladies sat in silence for about five minutes going through their individual phones before her mom suddenly looked up and said in Igbo, “Angela, kedu maka gi na marriage.”
“Mommy…Mommy, leave this marriage talk for now.”
“Leave what? You don’t know you’re no longer a small girl?”
“Mm-Hmm, Angela, how about the young handsome man we saw you talking to earlier?” Her aunt asked.
“Hmm…aunty, he is a just a bank customer.”
“Are you sure?” Her aunty said with a wink.
“By the way,” her mom started to say and stopped to clear her throat before proceeding with, “What of John?”
Angela sighed before saying, “Mom, I don’t like John like that.”
“Why? I thought you guys like each other.” When Angela didn’t respond, her mom added, “Angela, please know that I’m just concerned. I just want you to take advantage of your youth.”
“Mommy, Anu gom.”
“Don’t just tell me you have heard; I want you to act on it.”
“Okay ma.”
“So…will you call John back?” Her mom said, smiling.

Angela wanted her mom to be happy so bad she didn’t know when she said, “Mom… I… I have someone.”
“Thank you father!” Her mom said, got off her seat and started dancing.
“Mom… we are still at the beginning stage now, so I can’t say how it will turn out.”
“Praise the Lord. Don’t worry, we will pray about it. It will work out.” Her mom said and started talking to her aunt in Igbo language, sounding really excited. Angela sat there, thinking of what she had just done. She sighed and sank in her seat as she thought of how she was going to get out of the situation.

5 Likes

Re: One Thing Is Sure by Kayode Odusanya (Incomplete Story) by Rockyrascal(m): 12:28pm On Apr 18, 2023
Nice read. I will be following keenly

2 Likes

Re: One Thing Is Sure by Kayode Odusanya (Incomplete Story) by YoungBruzzy(m): 4:11pm On Apr 18, 2023
kayo80:
Sorry for the delay guys...rewriting/editing can sometimes lead to some crucial changes to a story and take time. For now, I'll be posting 2 chapters a week.

Thanks for your patience.

Twice a week is pretty good too.

Btw, thanks for this update 🫡🫡
I’m sure Angela will work something out with the tall dude 😍
Waiting patiently for more updates

2 Likes

Re: One Thing Is Sure by Kayode Odusanya (Incomplete Story) by kayo80(m): 11:48pm On Apr 22, 2023
Chapter 3

There were nine sewing machines in the room; three in a row. A constant ‘chuka, chuka’ sound could be heard as Angela worked on a red dress at one of the machines. The room was painted white, similar to her working area at the bank. She was seated at the machine closest to the fashion school entrance. The owner had put her three-bedroom apartment to optimal use; her living room was the training ground, and the dining area served as a small showroom with her latest designs on display with the help of the various mannequins she owned. The balcony area, which was where you would encounter after coming up the stairwell served as the reception area. One of her other rooms was used as a changing room, and then she had another she worked in after hours, with just two machines in it. She reserved just one room for her personal use.

Every once in a while, Angela's teacher would come over to inspect what she was doing, or ask her how she's doing. All her students called her Divine, which was the name of her fashion school. This made communication and learning easier. She wore baggy shorts and t shirt all the time, but was very feminine with her designs; Angela found this fascinating. Asides the working relationship, they had also become good friends, and shared intimate details of themselves with each other.

Angela usually got to the school around 7pm, when most of the students had left. Sometimes she would catch one or two of them working late on a deadline, but most times, it usually was her and Divine in the place. With a yellow measuring tape around her neck, Angela was working on fixing the zipper on a gown when Divine walked up behind her to watch. Even though they had a good interpersonal relationship, she still felt nervous whenever Divine did that. After a few seconds of standing there watching, she nodded and walked off. She was about making the left turn to the corridor that led to the rooms when she stopped and turned around with a smile on her face. “What if you get a fake date?”
“What?”
“I mean, you said your mom wants you to come with your boyfriend to the birthday party, right?”
“Yeah.”
“Well, just take a fake date.”
“What? That’s batty.”
“I don’t know what that word means, but…”
“Divine, I can’t just introduce a fake date to my mom.”
“Why not?”
“Because it is not a one-time thing; she will want to see him again. And…” She was saying and stopped to shake her head.
“And what?”
“Even if I want to do that, where will I get a fake date?”
“Leave that to me.” She said smiling as she turned around and walked off to the corridor.
Angela shook her head and went back to what she was doing. After a few seconds of trying to shake off the weird idea, she found herself thinking about it in-depth. Besides meeting someone before the party, which was in a week that was the only feasible option she had. “Hello!” She heard someone say and jumped. Standing beside her was a pretty lady in blue, floral pattern Ankara gown. “I’m sorry I startled you.” She said with a smile. The lady looked pretty familiar, but Angela couldn’t place the face.
“Umm… It’s okay. You’re here to see Divine?”
“Yeah.” The lady said as she walked up to a mannequin by the wall, arm’s length from where Angela was seated. “This is nice.” She said under her breath as she stretched out the green dress on the mannequin.

Angela was contemplating whether to shout out Divine’s name or go in to call her when she walked into the room, “Hey Tola, how are you doing?” She said with a warm smile as she walked up to the person Angela guessed was a good customer of hers. “You like it? It’s up for sale.” Divine said, stretching out the other side of the gown for the lady to see.
“Umm…It’s really nice. But…let me pay for the one you’re working on first.” She said with a little laugh. “Is it ready?”
“Almost.”
“Awwww…come on Divine, you promised me.”
“Yeah, I know, the work load is crazy. I promise it will be ready tomorrow evening.”
The lady sighed with her eyes still on the dress. “Can I see how far you’ve gone?”
“Sure.” Divine said and led her back towards the corridor she had come from.

Angela went back to her sewing, and she was about to get lost in thought again when she heard footsteps coming from behind her. She looked back and was face to face with the bank customer she had a conversation with a week ago. Ironically, he was wearing the same denim shirt he had on that day. “Hi, you work here too?” He said with a shocked look on his face.
Angela laughed a little before saying, “No I don’t work here. I’m learning here.”
“Wow! That’s interesting.” He said and stood there staring at her with a smile on his face.
“What?”
“It’s just something about seeing you in normal clothes.”
“Oh.”
“So…you come here every day after work?”
“Umm…yeah, I go home first…take a shower, and then come here.”
“Wow! That’s quite impressive.”
“Thanks…so, are you here to…” She was saying when Divine and the lady walked back into the living room.
“Hey, what’s up?” The lady said to him, and it immediately clicked that she was the one she had seen with him at the bank the other day.
“You have an urgent call.” He said and handed her the phone in his hand. The screen of the black phone showed there was an incoming call.
“What’s up Kola. Long time no see.” Divine said to the guy as the lady walked to the other side of the room to talk on the phone.
“I’m cool.”
“Why didn’t you come for house fellowship last week?” Divine asked him with arms akimbo.
“Umm…work?”
“Work on a Saturday?”
“Yep…you know what I do.”
She looked at him for a few seconds, thinking of what to say, and then turned to Angela with a curious look on her face before saying, “Do you two know each other?”
“Yeah, I know her from the bank. She calls me Orheptal man.”
“No I don’t.” Angela said with a little laugh. There was an awkward silence, and Divine looked from Angela to the guy, then back at Angela. She was focused on Angela now, with a mischievous smile on her face. Just as she was about to say something, Angela looked at her and said, “No! No!”
“Okay. I hear you loud and clear.” Divine said as she walked over to a sewing machine by the other side of the room from where Angela was seated.

“Wait, what was that all about?” The guy asked.
“What’s what?” The lady said as she walked back to join them. “Stop leaning on the mannequin, don’t ruin that fine dress.” She said as she pushed the guy gently.
“Just buy the dress. It’ll amend it to your size.” Divine said.
“Hmm…Kola, will you buy it for me?” He didn’t say anything, and then she followed his gaze, and saw he was staring at Angela. “Wait a minute; she’s the one you were talking to at the bank the other day, right?”
“Yeah.” He said with a smile.
“I knew she looked familiar. It was just weird seeing her here.”
“I know, right.” He said.
“Hi, my name is Tola.” She said with a little wave at Angela.
“I’m Angela.” Angela said with a smile
“Nice to meet you Angela.”
“Nice to meet you too.”
“And I’m Kola, her better half.” The guy said.
“You guys are married?” Angela asked and they both bust out laughing. She was wondering why they were laughing so hard. She looked back at Divine, and she was also laughing. Maybe they’re just friends, Angela thought to herself.
“No, Angela, we’re not married.” The lady said in between laughs, “We’re actually twins.”

7 Likes

Re: One Thing Is Sure by Kayode Odusanya (Incomplete Story) by YoungBruzzy(m): 11:25am On Apr 23, 2023
Uhh dinner date tih set wink Give it up for team Angela and Kola❤️❤️❤️
Thanks for this beautiful update boss, more grease to your elbows

2 Likes

Re: One Thing Is Sure by Kayode Odusanya (Incomplete Story) by kayo80(m): 11:38am On Apr 23, 2023
YoungBruzzy:
Uhh dinner date tih set wink Give it up for team Angela and Kola❤️❤️❤️
Thanks for this beautiful update boss, more grease to your elbows

Thanks...I appreciate your comments...you keep me motivated to keep writing.

1 Like

Re: One Thing Is Sure by Kayode Odusanya (Incomplete Story) by YoungBruzzy(m): 12:44pm On Apr 23, 2023
kayo80:

Thanks...I appreciate your comments...you keep me motivated to keep writing.
This is the little I can do since I literally don’t know how to write a story, it’s only fair for me to at least drop a bit of motivation for the person who could dedicate his own time to write one for us all. You are doing a great job Sir. You are going places by Gods grace

You can as well try to invite your readers to this thread, that way, there will be more engagements on the story, just a suggestion tho.

4 Likes

Re: One Thing Is Sure by Kayode Odusanya (Incomplete Story) by kayo80(m): 4:40am On Apr 28, 2023
Chapter 4
Angela was seated at the back of the twins’ car, heading home. Shortly after discovering they were fraternal twins and getting to know them a little more, it had started raining. Divine suggested they take her home since she didn’t come with her car. She didn’t want to inconvenient them, but they genuinely insisted they would take her home. And after she discovered they lived in her neighborhood, she couldn’t turn down the offer.

Kola and Tola were having a casual conversation, but she had stopped following a while ago. The storm had caused them to loose signal with their favorite radio station, and all they could hear was static noise from the car stereo; that, the consistent sound of wipers on the windshield, and the sound of heavy downpour outside the car made it hard to hear what they were talking about.

They were such an eccentric pair; they would switch from being very childlike and playful to being very mature with their conversations. She had heard a lot about fraternal twins, but this set was quite unique. They were more like friends than siblings. From the little she had learned about them at Divine’s place, Kola was into tech. He worked from home, and got paid in foreign currency, legitimately. Tola was studying for a Master's degree, and since her school campus was close to where her twin brother lived, she spent a lot of nights at his 3 bedroom apartment. They seemed really close and she wondered if Kola could have a successful relationship without Tola somehow getting in the way. Angela had been catching the signals Kola had been sending her way all night; it was clear he liked her, but she didn’t know if she would want to date him if he ever made his intentions known to her. ‘Slow down princess, you’re moving too fast again.’ She thought to herself.

She looked out the car, trying to figure out where they had gotten to, but the rain was so heavy, all she could see was big raindrops, and blurry lights here and there. She guessed the low visibility was why Kola was driving at a low speed. “So would you come?” Tola asked and turned around to face Angela.
“What? Sorry, I didn’t catch the last thing you said.” Angela sat up and looked straight at her.
“I asked if you’d come to Kola’s place next week Saturday for the movie podcast.”
“Movie podcast?”
“Don’t worry; it’s nothing too fancy or technical…just me, Kola, and a few friends talking movies.”
“Oh.”
“Yeah, we do it twice a month. The next one is next Saturday.”
“Oh, wow. I actually have a party to attend next week Saturday.”
“Our thing is usually over buy 11 in the morning. I’d just love another female there.”
Angela stopped to think for a minute. She had to go for the event, even though she still hadn’t gotten a boyfriend to take along with her. “Okay.”
“Nice! Don’t worry, you’ll love it.” Tola said. She was about to turn back around, but stopped and had her phone stretched out at Angela, “Can I have your number?”
“Okay.” Angela said with a smile.
“I’ve been trying to get Divine to come for it for long now, but she is always busy.”
“Yeah, and she wonders why I don’t come to house fellowship at her place.” Kola interjected.
“Thanks.” Tola said as she took back her phone from Angela, and then faced Kola, “That’s a different case.”
“Yeah, but if she had accepted our offer, maybe I’d have come to house fellowship more often.”
After a short moment of silence, Angela said, “You guys are really close, right?”
“Divine is close to everyone; she probably has a million friends.” Kola said.
Angela laughed a little before saying, “you’re kind of right.”
“So, Angie…can I call you Angie?” He said and looked in the rear-view mirror for a quick second.
“Yeah.”
“So…why are you learning how to sew?”
“That’s an odd question to ask her Kola.” Tola said without looking up from her phone.
“Umm…well, I’ve always had dreams of having a high fashion brand.” Angela said.
“That’s Interesting.” Kola said.
“You have Vera Wang, Tom Ford, Alexander McQueen, Ralph Lauren…Umm, DKNY, which is an acronym for Donna Karan New York. All these designers actually made their names household names.”
“True.”
“I want to be in that league, and I felt I should at least know my onions.”
“I’m really impressed. I’ll be looking out for you Angela…”
“Angela Azuka.”
“Nice! It actually has a nice ring to it.”
“Yeah, it does.” Tola said.
“Thanks guys.” Angela said with a big smile on her face.
The discussion slowly veered off into the twins having a discussion about Beyonce's worldwide popularity, and Angela pulled out her phone. A sudden euphoria had overtaken her after the discussion about her dreams and she wanted to do some research on getting fabrics from China.

“Okay. What number is your house?” Kola said as he wiped the window and looked outside the car.
Angela put her phone back in her bag before saying, “Umm…number 7.” She looked out the car and the rain was still quite heavy. Even if she made a run for her house she still would get wet.
As if reading her mind, Tola looked back and said, “I think Kola has an umbrella back there, you can use it and return it when you come over next week.”
“Oh. Okay.” Angela turned around to look at the back of the car, and as she was about to grab the black umbrella, she stopped to say, “Next week is still far, won’t he need to use it before then?”
“Umm…” Tola was saying and stopped to think.
“Okay. I think I should just stop here.” Kola said, and brought the car to a halt. “I can barely see outside. I’ll work you to your house.” He added.
“It’s okay. I’ll be alright.” Angela said, and tried to look out the window again.
“Let him walk you to your gate at least. It’s pretty dark out there.” Tola said.
“Hmm…Okay.”
“Can you pass me the umbrella?” Kola said.
“Okay.” Angela reached to the back of the seat for the umbrella. “I’m sorry for inconveniencing you guys.” She added as she passed the umbrella to Kola.
“Nah! This is right around my place, and Tola is sleeping over tonight, so it’s no biggie.” Kola said before opening the car door. It was quite windy outside, and the rain coming into the car aggressively made him close the quickly. “Whoa! The rain is really heavy.” He inhaled, exhaled, opened the door again, and rushed out the car.

A few seconds later, he was knocking on Angela’s side of the car. “Okay Tola, goodnight.” Angela said.
“I’ll call you.” Tola said just before Angela got out the car and shut the door behind her.

Once out the car, she stayed pretty close to Kola under the umbrella as she led the way to her building. The storm was really intense and it was a struggle for Kola to keep the umbrella in place. When they got to her gate, a neighbor of hers’ was also just going in, and she greeted the lady casually before saying to Kola, “Thanks a lot. I’m okay from here.”
“Okay. Take care of yourself Angie.” He said before turning around and hurriedly walking back to his car.

As Angela walked into her compound under her neighbor’s umbrella, she looked back his way, and watched him get in the car. The way he called her Angie did something to her. As the car drove off, she found herself longing to see him again.

5 Likes

Re: One Thing Is Sure by Kayode Odusanya (Incomplete Story) by DemiKOL(f): 2:35pm On Apr 28, 2023
Weldone Op!

1 Like

Re: One Thing Is Sure by Kayode Odusanya (Incomplete Story) by YoungBruzzy(m): 8:05pm On Apr 28, 2023
Kola is feeling Angie, Angie is feeling Kola, it’s only a matter of time before Something great and romantic stem out of this Angela and Kola’s friendship at the long run lol.

Tech guys are always romantic in nature lol

Thanks for the beautiful update OP, more ink to your pen, more data to your phone lol, and more inspiration to your artistic source, Amen.

4 Likes

Re: One Thing Is Sure by Kayode Odusanya (Incomplete Story) by kayo80(m): 11:58pm On May 05, 2023
Chapter 5

On the day of the movie podcast, Angela got to Kola’s apartment as early as possible because she planned on leaving before noon. The other co-hosts didn’t show up, so it was just Kola, Angela, and Tola. The movie of the day, The Artifice Girl, was about a digital girl created to catch predators online. Over the years, the AI advanced to a point where it wanted to be autonomous. It had become sentient; it had the ability to think, feel, and perceive the physical world just like humans do. The AI later took the form of a humanoid robot, and wanted to live a human life.

When the movie was done, they moved from the living room, to the room that had been reserved for shooting the actual podcast. It was painted powder blue, and it had in it four wooden armchairs, three microphone stands with all black microphones attached to them, and two cameras. Two arm chairs were placed on one side of the room, with a stool in between; same two arm chair setting was also on the other side of the room. Both sides of the room had separate cameras on tripods covering it. It was a simple but professional setup.

Angela and Tola sat on one side, while Kola was on the other side of the room. The twins were dressed casual; Kola in jeans and a white t shirt, and Tola in roll-up denim shorts and a black sweatshirt. Angela was in a black body fitting spaghetti gown. Her makeup was light; just red lipstick on her luscious lips. Her braids was packed to the back in a bun.

As they discussed the movie, the three of them came to the conclusion that the human race was on a dangerous path with the rapid advancement of AI. They all feared for a time, like the movie The Terminator, where robots would take over the world, and humans would become endangered species.

When the podcast ended, and the cameras were turned off, Angela sat in her seat, deep in thought, till she was brought back to reality by Kola’s question, “Do you think humans and AI would fall in love?”
“What?” She asked, and sat up in her seat.
“Humans and humanoid robots, do you think they could fall in love?”
“Well…with all I’ve learnt today, I believe that would be very possible in the future.”
“That would be a wild time.” Tola said as she walked back into the room carrying a red tray. There was a glass jar filled with orange juice and empty glass cups on it. She dropped it on the stool between her and Angela’s chairs, picked up one of the glass cups and the jar, and headed towards where Kola was seated.
“They would be AI and human love advocates, fighting for the rights of humanoids and humans to fall in love.” Kola said as he collected the cup from his sister and kept his hand steady as she filled up his cup. “Technology would be so advanced at this time that it will be almost impossible to tell the difference between humanoid robots and real humans.”
“That would be scary.” Tola said as she walked back to her side of the room. She sat and proceeded to fill up two glass cups with orange juice. “Do you have a boyfriend?” She asked Angela as she handed her a glass of orange juice.
“Umm…No.” Angela answered and was about wondering off into deep thought again and when she remembered something. “Oh, shoot. What’s the time?” She asked and picked up her phone from the stool beside her.
“Why?” Kola asked.
“I have to be at an event.”
“Oh, yeah, I remember you mentioned that.” He said.
“It’s still like 11:30. I’m sure whatever party you have won’t start till afternoon.” Tola said.
“She probably has to stop over at a guy’s house before heading over to the party.” Kola said with a smile.
“I wish.” Angela said under her breath as she sat back in her seat. No need to rush anywhere, I have no date, she thought to herself.
“Boyfriend was the trigger word, so…is there an ex you’re meant to see today.” Tola asked, looking at Angela. When Angela shook her head, she added, “Or maybe someone you just started seeing but not so sure of?” Angela shook her head again. Tola sat down, took a sip of her drink, looked into space and as if something hit her, she turned to face Angela again and said, “I got it. You’re going for a family event and you're not eager to face the aunties that'd be asking about your relationship status?” Angela didn’t say anything, she just smiled. “I’m right, right?” Angela just nodded. “I understand that totally.” Tola said with a little laugh.

“Let me go with you to the party. I’ll be your fake boyfriend.” Kola said and Angela almost spat out the drink in her mouth.
Tola had a smile on her face as she turned to face Angela, “That could actually solve your problem.”
“No.” Angela said shaking her head.
“Well, at least temporally.”
“Do you want me to wear a suit, or dress culturally like a Yoruba demon?” Kola said, and it made Angela laugh.
“This is a great idea. At least, it will ease off the tension you’re feeling right now.” Tola said to her.
“So, what do you say? Should I go and start getting ready?” Kola said and she realized he was actually serious about the proposal. It was crazy idea, but in a way, it was the only solution to her problem right now.
“What do you say Angela?” Tola said, looking at her with excitement written all over her face. Angela looked at for a while. Her enthusiasm for the plan was so infectious Angela eventually smiled, and then she nodded in approval.

5 Likes

Re: One Thing Is Sure by Kayode Odusanya (Incomplete Story) by YoungBruzzy(m): 7:42am On May 09, 2023
Oh, fake boyfriend isn’t it grin grin
I am 100% sure that Kola is already feeling Angela, and vice Versa.
They should just do quick and make it real
Thanks for the update OP, you are doing well ooiiinn

1 Like

Re: One Thing Is Sure by Kayode Odusanya (Incomplete Story) by kayo80(m): 1:09pm On May 13, 2023
Chapter 6

Kola ended up dressing up in white Guinea Brocade cultural attire. It was simple and classy at the same time. He drove her home, and waited in the car for her to get ready. She had no plans inviting him into her house just yet and was happy he didn't mind waiting in the car.

Standing in front of her room mirror now, fully dressed and applying the last touch of makeup, she let out a slight laugh, thinking of how ridiculous this whole thing was. Never in a million years would she have thought she would be going to an event with a fake boyfriend. Just get through today first then you think about what happens afterwards, she thought to herself. “It’s all about getting through today”, she said in a low voice.

Her aunt's 50th birthday was holding at a small event hall, with just close friends and family. She could have worn an English dress, but dressing corporate every day for work made her want something different today. She had on a fitted blue Ankara gown, with yellow flowering patterns here and there on it. It was a mono-strap design, but not too revealing. Her braids were parked properly to the back, and she had her most expensive gold jewelries on; gold necklace, wrist watch, and drop earrings. The black pumps she had on gave her a few inches in height. She needed that boost if she was going to be by Kola's side all day.

After standing still in front of the mirror for a couple of minutes, going through everything in her head, she grabbed her bag from the dressing table and headed out.

On the way down the stairs, she bumped into one of her neighbors coming up the stairs with a girl on his arm. The guy was on jeans shots and a white t shirt, while the plump girl was in a tight fitted white mini gown she greeted them with a smile and head nod, and as she walked past them the girl said, “I love your dress.” Angela was cut off guard and had to catch her breath before saying, “thank you.” After taking a few steps down the stairs, she turned around to look at them again and smiled. It’s interesting how an unexpected compliment from a stranger can go a long way in making a person’s day, she thought to herself.

It was a sunny day and when she walked out the gate, she noticed Kola's car engine was on. He probably got tired and uncomfortable sitting in the hot car for too long, she thought to herself. She could see as she approached the car that he was talking to someone on the phone. He unlocked the car when she got to the passenger's side. The switch change of atmospheric temperature as she got into the car was so soothing.

"Please give me a minute." Kola said to Angela while covering his phone mouthpiece with his hand, and then continued the conversation on the phone. Angela couldn’t follow the conversation as a lot of tech world words were used. She got restless after a while and started tapping her right knee with her hand. It was something she did unconsciously when she was uneasy.

"Sorry about that." He said when he finally ended the call.

"It's okay." Angela said with a smile. "By the way, what exactly do you do?"

"Umm..." He started to say and stopped to fasten his seat belt and put the car in drive. "Basically, I design apps."

"Okay."

"I used to get jobs online, from all over the world. I sometimes design websites too."

"That's cool."

"But when a lot of people started getting into the business, the price for that went down."

"Oh."

"Yeah, so earlier this year I decided to do something of my own."

"Hmm..."

"It's a content based app, sort of like tiktok, but with content for older more serious minded people."

"Okay."

"So, I pay people to create content for me, and I also create content of my own. Like what we did this morning."

"Oh. So, you pay people up-front for the content they put on the app?"

"Well, for now, to build up traction, I pay well known content creators, skit makers, and celebrities money to create exclusive content for my app."

"So… something like Only Fans?"

"Yeah, the exclusivity part, not the...you know." He said and they both laughed. "I found this to be the fastest way to build the app."

"But it must cost a lot of money, right?" She asked and turned to face him for his response.

"Sheesh! You can say that again. But you have to spend money to make money."

"True."

"I have two partners...basically, they're the financiers." He was at a road intersection now, and he looked left and right before joining the road. "They're taking a risk, but when it blows up, they're going to be richer than they've ever been."

Angela noticed he used the word ‘when,’ and not ‘if’ in describing the future of his app. She liked the belief he had in the project. "So, what's the monetizing plan?"

"Ads, sponsored posts, and monthly subscription."

"Hmm..."

"The monthly subscription is our real banker. It's 500 naira a month. A million monthly subscriptions equal 50 million naira."

"Wow. That's a lot of money."

"Yeah, but getting a million monthly subscribers is not easy. So far, our highest was February, three months ago, with a thousand two hundred subs."

"That's quite impressive."

"Well, the way we get people to subscribe is...we partner with some big name celebrities, like for example Basket mouth the comedian. Get him to do an exclusive live show on our app."

"Cool."

"His fans sign up for the show. We pay him an amount up-front, and also a percentage out of what we see in subscription money, and he's happy, we're happy."

"And those fans add to your subscriber base."

"Exactly; But it doesn't mean they'll be renewing their subscription the following month. We have to work on them. So far, we have a 40% conversation rate on that."

"That's cool."

"Yeah, that's just one of the ways we get subscribers anyway. It goes back to spending money to get money." He said and smiled. There was a prolonged silence in the car, and it was clear his mind had wondered off on his dreams and how he could build it up. "Well, enough about me, tell me about your work."

"My job is boring; I help people collect thousands of dollars every day, while I have just 50 dollars in my dorm account"

He laughed a little before saying, "You're funny. You're funny. But I'm not talking about your bank job. I mean the fashion thing."

"Oh. I...I forgot you knew about that." She was smiling now, from ear to ear. "Umm...yeah, it's cool. I think I told you guys the basics at Divine's place the other day."

"I want to hear more."
“Okay. Umm…”

Angela went on to talk about her love for color combination, which fuels her love for dresses. She talked passionately about how she couldn’t wait to start making dresses with her brand tag on them. Kola would say something every now and then, but he just let her talk, and he couldn’t explain the feeling, but he knew he knew he wanted to see her more often. He wanted to be more than a fake boyfriend to her.

3 Likes

Re: One Thing Is Sure by Kayode Odusanya (Incomplete Story) by YoungBruzzy(m): 10:05pm On May 13, 2023
Thanks for the update boss Man
Biko drop us long update next oh baba

Btw, It’s been a while tho, hope you good?

1 Like

Re: One Thing Is Sure by Kayode Odusanya (Incomplete Story) by kayo80(m): 7:06am On May 14, 2023
[quote author=YoungBruzzy post=123120584]Thanks for the update boss Man
Biko drop us long update next oh baba

Btw, It’s been a while tho, hope you good?[/quote]

I'm cool

3 Likes

Re: One Thing Is Sure by Kayode Odusanya (Incomplete Story) by Opedolapo: 6:19pm On Jun 03, 2023
Hope you're good @kayo80.

Been a while.

2 Likes

Re: One Thing Is Sure by Kayode Odusanya (Incomplete Story) by fabulousbrainzz(m): 5:12pm On Jun 11, 2023
It's been a long time on here. I had to first check out your stories immediately before any other thing. Good one brother.

1 Like

Re: One Thing Is Sure by Kayode Odusanya (Incomplete Story) by bimberry1307(f): 12:38pm On Aug 13, 2023
@kayo80 just left us hanging. It's been months, bro.
Re: One Thing Is Sure by Kayode Odusanya (Incomplete Story) by kayo80(m): 7:53pm On Aug 13, 2023
bimberry1307:
@kayo80 just left us hanging. It's been months, bro.

Life happened. I didn't want to comment all this while cos what's the use when I know I can't give the people what they want.

Someday soon though, I'll be back, but I can't say when.

1 Like

Re: One Thing Is Sure by Kayode Odusanya (Incomplete Story) by bimberry1307(f): 1:16am On Aug 19, 2023
kayo80:

Life happened. I didn't want to comment all this while cos what's the use when I know I can't give the people what they want.

Someday soon though, I'll be back, but I can't say when.
It's alright. We'll be here waiting, by God's grace

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

. / Pastor's Second Wife - Episode 8 / �•City Dreams•� (A Chicklit/YA Novel)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 128
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.